Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@Steve D (There’s some extreme irony starting about 38:35. I appear to realize the secret is there and even appear to hump the wall (but apparently not), but it turns out I just wanted to talk about forgetting I had the BFG. When I start hunting the secret exit, you can skip to about 47:20.)

Doomworld forum topic (project)

I enjoyed most of this. It’s a beautiful map whose grandeur usually doesn’t take away from the gameplay. As usual, it’s a lot of wide open incidental combat where hiding from sergeants and dodging projectiles is the name of the game. I felt some of the sergeant traps were a bit cheap, particularly when they suddenly teleported to where they could immediately target you, sometimes more than one of them. But overall, this is a good choose your own excitement map. A lot of it could probably be camped ad boredomum but that style of play is simply not fun, plus you do have to go find resources. So exposing yourself is often a lot more rewarding, from the fun standpoint definitely, but also sometimes from a practical standpoint. 

Bottom line: an adequate replacement for such a great map.

@nicolas monti

Might as well talk about the negatives first: Spiderdemon fight is a bit underwhelming. But frankly, they are more often than not in most people’s maps. The arch-vile arrival in the card table room felt a bit clunky to me. The skill method was obvious enough, but I was more intrigued by the luck method of survival, so I just took half a dozen deaths until it worked. Other than that I have no complaints. The layout was clever as usual and very interconnected, and it even allowed you to get red or blue first. Nice atmosphere. Nice sense of progress.

Bottom line: brilliant as usual

11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Might as well talk about the negatives first: Spiderdemon fight is a bit underwhelming. But frankly, they are more often than not in most people’s maps. The arch-vile arrival in the card table room felt a bit clunky to me. The skill method was obvious enough, but I was more intrigued by the luck method of survival, so I just took half a dozen deaths until it worked. Other than that I have no complaints. The layout was clever as usual and very interconnected, and it even allowed you to get red or blue first. Nice atmosphere. Nice sense of progress.

Bottom line: brilliant as usual

Nice feedback as usual,  couple of things to point out after watching.

1- the spiderdemon fight didn't work as expected (my fault) because when you get the keys in the other available order some revenants start popping behind you making you stay out of cover at times while the spider is firing you, I'll trigger that behaviour if you go for the dining room first too.

2- The card-dining room is meant to be frustrating due to the architecture, no much space for running without getting blocked by enemies or chairs and also you have to get your spot for firing the rocket launcher but you can't stay much longer without moving so the best option is the plasma gun, I provide health bonuses to ensure the player will start that fight with 100+ health and 200 of armor.

3- About that dummy sectors yeah, I'll move them farther away!

Loving the texturework in the new maps, Nicolas. The dining room fight seemed like a lot of fun. Looking forward to playing the episode.

@Steve D

Doomworld forum topic

Replacing what is many people’s favorite E4 map is a tall order. This map really did feel like it was “against me.” From the darkness to the damaging floor to the cyberdemon trio, Doomguy is on the demons’ turf, not the other way around. I like the structure and appearance a lot. Lighting is wonderful here. It’s dark enough to be a major factor but not cheaply so. I thought the number of cells might have been too high and the beginning got a little boring, but this is a great map.

Bottom line: A very moody experience that is fun to play and fun to look at

On 2/14/2020 at 9:12 AM, HAK3180 said:

@Steve D

Replacing what is many people’s favorite E4 map is a tall order . . .

Bottom line: A very moody experience that is fun to play and fun to look at

Against Thee Wickedly is, in fact, my favorite E4 map, with Perfect Hatred a close second. Glad you liked them! And thanks so much for doing these maps so rapidly -- faster than I could comment on your comments! :D

E1M2 -- My effort here was to make an easy map with some occasionally stiff gameplay whose bark is worse than its bite. It's possible to die but it should go easy unless you attempt to draw Cacos over the open, barrel-filled crates in the main fight. Basically all my deaths happen in those attempts, because it's difficult to hit the barrels with Cacos overhead drawing all your fire while the mobs focus on you, but when it happens it's so satisfying that the deaths are worth it.

You mentioned expecting a bigger fight at the red key. So did cannonball. That fight is nerfed because I was trying to keep the monster count at 180, so I went with widely-spaced Sergeants to guarantee a hit or 2. Watching your playthrough, it occurred to me that I could use the roaming monsters already in that area, which dribble up to the main fight, and add them to the key fight, thus increasing the action without increasing the monster count. I may just do that.

You have a genius at catching my Great Big Mistakes. In this map, it was the jump across the ledges in the Reactor Room. Actually, Dobu made note of it and I decided to leave it in because, as he suggested, it might be a fun exploit for speedrunners. But I never made the jump myself to see what effect it had on gameplay. This is because I suck at things like that, but you're better than me in this area so you did it, and I was horrified when I realized my teleport trap went untriggered. Thank you for being determined to have that fight even though you could avoid it. I fixed that one, and best of all, the player actually puts themselves in more danger on that path.

You did pretty good on secrets, but came close to doing even better. Here's a couple you almost had plus one you didn't come close to.

Spoiler

If you'd pressed on the front panel, you'd have gained a Blue Armor at the start;

DjXEVLw.png

You were on the right path here, but you needed to press on to the end where you'd trigger a door that reveals 2 Stimpacks and a Green Armor. Your pistol is pointing slightly to the left of where you need to go.

al6mjAg.png

You said you've never seen a Dead Player signal a secret, even though I'm by no means the only one who uses this trick. What's amusing about this one is that you were discussing it in this map and never saw it, and it even includes a different floor than all the other computer panels. I decided to add a Rocket and a Box of Ammo to draw the player's attention. It's a cheeky little secret that gives you a Box of Rockets and a Stimpack, and from that location you can leap to another secret Box of Rockets.

ATumVlb.png

E4M2 - I originally did this in 2014 when EvilNed challenged people to join him in an E4 project. I did a couple maps, but unfortunately, EvilNed had too big of an IRL workload to continue. I ultimately submitted both maps to UDINO but decided to pull the other one for my own E4 episode, which will be part of the Shotgun Symphony megawad.

Great job finding all the secrets, and also uncovering the texture bleeds. That was a doofus last-minute error where I foolishly moved the mouse wheel and changed floor heights without realizing it. You also found a blood sector I left damaging -- it was originally a lava floor, but I decided that was too much hatred -- so thanks for that. It's like you're an error magnet. Every screw-up I make seems to pull you towards it. ;D

I'm glad you liked the map. I had worries about this one because it's pretty harsh. I tried living up to the name. You got the super-lucky draw at the secret exit -- that Cyb never launched a single rocket while you were platforming. I have never been that lucky! :D But it's all cool since you suffered so much hell in the rest of the map, I just hope it didn't feel anticlimactic. BTW, nice BFG work in-close. And yes, you almost beat the yellow key fight on the first try and didn't take an instant rocket in the back, as many players do. Would you have won if you remembered you had the BFG? We'll never know . . . ;)

I'll consider your comments re the Sergeants that warp in at the PG. For me, that's part of the hatred.

E4M6 - I probably had more worries about this than any other map, mainly because of the darkness. I last played it on GZDoom with sector lighting mode set to Dark. Bad idea. You can't see anything in those corridors except for projectiles coming at you.

You played the map very well, finding the PG right away. Your amazing luck continued when you got the Soulsphere and BFG. It's common for a Cyb to appear while you're waiting for the Soulsphere lift, and if that happens, you eat a rocket. You can have further trouble if any Cybs are out in the big area while you're going for the goodies, because they'll have great firing angles on you. A lot of things can go badly wrong for players in this map, but you sailed through and didn't even die that much. Kudos!

I'll confer with my advisers on the beginning of this map and whether I should add an SG to that Imp fight. It's not a bad idea.

Thanks again! I'll have something else for you very soon.

Edited by Steve D

@mArt1And00m3r11339

download the .zip

I don't really see the appeal. Strictly encounter-based maps are not my favorite, especially when they don't have much regard for scenery or visual appeal, but I can get on board with them if the fighting is interesting and exciting, even puzzling. I liked the overall sense of spatial progression, but I found the gameplay dull and repetitive. There were 77 monsters, but one could argue there were almost 60 encounters: ~ 45 fights against one demon, ~8 fights against one revenant, and then all the others. I have to believe this is some sort of troll/joke wad or that it's really supposed to be speed run.

Bottom line: not at all for me. Maybe speedrun it? 

I've got another map for you. More fancy gzdoom stuff than ever, but the core gameplay stays similar to how it was in my past works.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339

download the .zip

I don't really see the appeal. Strictly encounter-based maps are not my favorite, especially when they don't have much regard for scenery or visual appeal, but I can get on board with them if the fighting is interesting and exciting, even puzzling. I liked the overall sense of spatial progression, but I found the gameplay dull and repetitive. There were 77 monsters, but one could argue there were almost 60 encounters: ~ 45 fights against one demon, ~8 fights against one revenant, and then all the others. I have to believe this is some sort of troll/joke wad or that it's really supposed to be speed run.

Bottom line: not at all for me. Maybe speedrun it? 

I made it beatable with Hard Doom.

@Lorenz0

Doomworld forum topic

I like the level of freedom and exploration in this map. It could perhaps use more overtly optional content and secrets, but it’s nice not to be guided in the main part of the map. Unfortunately, I was locked into the yellow key path before getting the rocket launcher. I don’t know if thought was put into those areas without rockets. Perhaps, since it was doable without, but the map seemed to be screaming at me, “You missed the rocket launcher!” and the balance was certainly a bit off during that first third or so. Anyway, in contrast to the free hub area are three guided paths, each with a climactic setpiece. They offer nice variety, including in the demands they put on Doomguy. I also like how you enter one way and end up coming out another. Visually, I think I’ve seen Lorenz0 do more detail, but this had a nice semi-minimal grandeur that was perfectly fitting for the tasks at hand.

Bottom line: Hard to summarize, but a mostly positive experience

Thanks for playing. I will add more rocket launchers in the next update, so that issue will be fixed.

This map was my first attempt at making a level with custom monsters, as well as swimmable water. The first aspect kinda comes down to personal taste, but I feel like the second has a lot of unused potential. The only time I used that feature to affect gameplay was at the end of the yellow key path (which was one of the few fights designed for the plasma rifle instead of the rl), but I think I will try to apply it more effectively in the future.

Map09 is here. I moved the old map09 to map10.

This one is an old one, when I sat down to rework it I was surprised how bad it was. I had to do a lot of work on gameplay and visuals. The reason it took so long is because I hate detailing and I'm lazy. Anyways, it's pretty short comparatively and nowhere near as hard as maps 08 or 10. I will warn you there are some nasty traps though. Ammo is also kind of tight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/deqjlgmxm3rxjka/boomhouse.zip?dl=0

Edited by Arbys550

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

This is a solid opener for what seems to be a classic Doom project. It has some nice atmospheric touches, a solid layout, and some good attention to detail. Combat was basic Map 01 stuff, but it is a Map 01, so I have high hopes for subsequent maps

Bottom line: The presentation alone makes you want at least to see what else the wad has to offer

@vincent0s

Doomworld forum topic

The map is a little odd in appearance but I do like the overall flow. It has some light insidious moments where you think you’re totally fine and then you take 50 damage because you didn’t know there were gunners there or that that path the hell knight was on connects, etc. Still, whether intentionally or not, the difficulty here was mostly through low health, which may not be the best idea since a good deal of combat depends on hitscanners. But it may also say something that I ended up playing poorly toward the beginning mostly out of boredom. Overall there’s some character and enough quirkiness to make you curious for more.

Bottom line: Brevity and character are a good combination

@vincent0s

Doomworld forum topic

There were definitely some nice combat sequences in this map. I do think weaponry could be a little more generous. The only rocket launcher was secret and I didn’t find a super shotgun, so the dark hell noble cavern can be very troublesome, but I think that’s solvable apart from changing scenery or monsters. I like that this wad has some character – some persistent elements and some oddities. Sometimes there’s a fine line between being outside the box because you don’t know what you’re dong and being outside the box because “you know the rules and now can break them.” This seems somewhere in the middle.

Bottom line: A map that straddles mild quirkiness and convention in an interesting way.

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

I like this map continues to establish/solidify aspects of the wad that seem to be thematic, such as optional keys, perhaps multiple key usage, and the spawn platforms. I didn’t love the backtracking or really much of the combat, but it’s decent detailing again and a fairly immersive sense of story.

Bottom line: This wad may not end up as conventional as I thought.

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

Unfortunately, I didn’t have a very positive experience here. Right away the stage was set for a lot of grindy combat because, while the map included revenants, cacodemons, hell knights, and barons as regular encounters, I never found a rocket launcher, super shotgun, or plasma weapon. So the combat was boring – literally all of it except a bit of low tier excitement in the megaarmor room. Most of the monster count was 3 or 4 waves of human, imp, and demon spam. It seemed like it was trying to do something in the slaughter spectrum without really any knowledge of why people like slaughter. And then was a maze puzzle that I just hated because it was so long and so samesy. That same thing where you can at least visually see some progress would be much better, but here you just guessed which of four directions would get you somewhere you hadn’t been, yet it looked identical to where you had been.

Bottom line: The gimmickry does not work for me in this one

@vincent0s

Doomworld forum topic

The whole wad has been weird on ammo and health, though this one might have been the best. However, I got all the secrets, and it does seem some of them are too generous. I enjoyed the flow of this map though. It had some nice architectural setups and fun battles, but as much as the supplies were sufficient, I still think more rockets and a super shotgun would go a long way.

Bottom line: The layouts are getting better, but the lack of big guns is becoming more noticeable

@vincent0s

Doomworld forum topic

A noticeable use of lighting variety was welcome, and as usual, the layout works nicely until perhaps the end when some of it might be better blocked off to shrink the arena for the last fight. The issue again is weaponry. Minimal rockets and the absence of a super shotgun just doesn’t go well with the selection of enemies here.

Bottom line: Again, and it’s becoming more than a mild annoyance: Doom is more fun when you aren’t shotgunning and chaingunning barons, revenants, hell knights, and cacodemons.

Thanks for the feedback i see you gave me enough points to improve the maps in the future, i will try to improve the maps and saw you played the maps separately.. which is a shame since it is so much more fun if you have the SSG from map01. But not props, i will add the SSG in each map and keep that in mind! :D

Also i saw that you escaped the rev. fight in 04, which is sort of a good thing since you did not have the SSG, but ill add the gun and a switch in that area so you will not escape it in the future!

Thanks a lot and ill let you know when this wad has more maps and improved (previous) maps. Quick question did you sort of get what i want to tell in the story.. it is sort of related to the flashbacks and the final area of 04. I am curious! Thanks again.

@Arbys550

(outdated) Doomworld forum topic

The visual upgrade was definitely successful. This has a nice mythology-ish video game vibe to it and a nice mix of indoor and outdoor. The combat is a mixed bag. There are some moments that you can kinda tell were designed much earlier in the mapper’s career and some that feel brand new, so the difficulty from section to section is inconsistent, which can be fine, but there are signature setpieces that feel like they’re supposed to be brutal that just aren’t, and I think that’s where the inconsistency is noticeable in a negative way. But I do think adjusting the ammo balance would take care of a lot of that, particularly, limiting plasma early. And simply chopping at least one, probably two cyberdemon fights would make cutting down plasma much more plausible.

Bottom line: a good paradigm of this wad that probably has a few too many supplies

Oh boy am I excited for this one hah hah

I'm new to this forum help me out - of course I would be honoured for you to play mine once I finish

But is this also the section to make my own dedicated thread about it?

thanks friend!

Thanks for playing! Yeah, lots of issues I didnt notice. I didn't realize how exponentially harder that last fight was compared to everything else. As for ammo, I think I'm just gonna add more monsters instead of take out cell packs, seeing as the fights are probably way too easy in the beginning, especially with players coming from map08. The first outdoor section I left almost untouched, gameplay wise. My original goal for this map was to make a chainsaw centered map, and it was intended to kill the caco with the chainsaw, but it was communicated pretty poorly.

Map11 will be done soon as its a really short episode opener (There'll be a death exit for continuous players on map10 for people who don't read the text file).

48 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Oh boy am I excited for this one hah hah

I'm new to this forum help me out - of course I would be honoured for you to play mine once I finish

But is this also the section to make my own dedicated thread about it?

thanks friend!

Welcome, posting --> [https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/95295-new-to-posting-maps-read-this-first/]

*you can make your own topic
1) go to - WADs & Mods - 
2) click - start a new topic

3) this topic is for promoting your WAD(s) to 'this' specific user who ishelpfull for providing video-feedback a.k.a. recording it ;)

4) good-luck!

Edited by vincent0s

2 minutes ago, vincent0s said:

Thanks bud I see this is the section to post my map with it's ready - I'll have screenshots and all that but think I'll let @HAK3180 have a look first if he doesn't mind

I think my map will be challenging - maybe overly hard at first but it opens up to some things that may be interesting - but overall it's a basic vanella doom type map - no jumping etc required - standard gameplay etc

I only watched your video of Map01. I'll watch the rest when all of them will be recorded.

Spoiler

There is no yellow keys in entire wad, that shotgun was a secret.

Right now for me it is important if I should continue my mapping and was it worth it?

I' ve "upgraded" my post and also put solutions to the puzzles (In Map06 there is similar situation like in Map03).

@Kain D., I have played through 7 already. Those will be up today-tomorrow. I definitely think you should continue mapping. There's interesting ideas all over the place in the wad; there's just some room for improvement in execution. For example, I don't think it's a good idea to include a key marker and have the door actually just open. I think most players will, like I did, assume that's a mapping mistake. Maybe you can get away with that much later in the wad when it's established that there's only red, white, and black, but not Map 01.