Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@Finnthemapmaker (a "common mapping error" caused me to have to split this one)

Part 1

Part 2

Doomworld forum topic

A fine map. I think the appearance and layout are great, the latter affording the low-tier enemies many tactical advantages. I don’t mind the abundance of hitscanners. I don’t think they were used cheaply for the most part, but I do think this kind of map just calls for more health and/or armor. Of course, I say that as a somewhat reckless player, but it seems that this map ends up encouraging a very scared, campy, tactical approach that I would not find fun. This might be a good map candidate where the difficulty changes have to do with nothing but health. I like the weaponry. There are lots of cells but only one or two big moments that definitely call for them. You also get sufficient rockets for whatever situations call for them.

Bottom line: Packed tech base with a lot of gunners

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

There’s so much space and so many cells and so few monsters, especially monsters/combinations/setups that demand your attention, that the whole thing is dull. You don’t really sweat; you just shoot the plasma gun and occasionally grab some health and more ammo.

Bottom line: Big open arena without much excitement

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This map is kinda hit or miss. I like the simple climbing beginning. I really like the dark area with imps and revenants. I like the invulnerability secret and the mad dash to use it efficiently. But some of the areas seemed a bit half-hearted. The visuals were nice and the layout made sense, but then there was nothing to the action in some places other than shooting 4 or 6 imps. And the big finale was a simplistic affair of too many species and not enough interactive scenery.

Bottom line: Well, this is “good xdarkmasterx,” but this is not his best

@Casketkrusher

download the .wad

My only real complaint here is that I didn’t usually know what a switch was doing. It was often intuitive, but being able to see it happen and/or draw more attention to what is new/different are excellent ways to prevent any confusion. I love the layout here. I think it’s a good use of 3d stuff and optional content. Combat wasn’t too exciting, but it kept you busy and probably would have been minimal grind if I had just picked up the super shotgun. I don’t know what was in the secrets, but I do think a small quantity of rockets and/or cells would go a long way too.

Bottom line: really cool setting, maybe a little bit confusing

@HAK3180

Thanks for the playtest! Really surprised you liked the visual aspect, I tried to improve on some more details this time. I really like the way of exploration; Downtown was a inspiration for this map. I marked the switches with a colored dynamic light spot so red opens the red colored bars, yellow, blue etc. Not sure how to improve the switches with a less confusing way. And it's indeed grindy at some points. I always have in mind it's meant as a continues playthrough (at some point I'll combine all maps into one episode but for now I only made 7 maps with 5 of them needing some makeover) so that's why I never put too many weapons into one map. Although secrets holds some nice goodies. Actually surprised you didn't jump into that small alcove with the 2 imps, had something that might have intrest ya'!

Anyway thanks for the playtest, and stay safe!

Cheers!

@HAK3180 sorry for the elevator mistake aswell some missing textures and miss-alingments.I will have it on mind for future maps and thanks for playing.

I would appreciate it if you could check out my new map.

Edited by Clownslay

I finished that wad recently. I think it's old school. Vanilla assets, obviously. 

For more info use that link: 

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

The architecture is very basic but the progression is a lot of fun, and the way the monsters correspond to the layout is well done, and would be even better if the damaging floor was more of a factor. The number of suits makes it so that you almost always have practically unlimited room to run around and avoid monsters.

Bottom line: really cool layout, too many suits

To each his own, but the ubiquity of the custom features is getting hard to ignore. Still, this map had a cool gimmick idea, but again not great execution. I think the darkness was too severe. Because you can’t see a thing in the darkness, Austinado had to make sure it was almost impossible to run out of visors. I think a better approach would be to make the darkness very difficult but manageable and then limit the number of visors so that only the most efficient would be able to make it through without experiencing some darkness. Layout/progression here is pretty basic, but it works.

Bottom line: A cool idea that didn’t work well makes this just another map

@HAK3180

Thanks alot for playing (and for all the problem to getting on playing, you know what i mean).

Ill surely add SSG on onward maps (probably in secrets or not) and i have taken notes with your review. Actually, i never noticed about that thing where you fell when getting blue key and that mutherfucking imp that disapears is not suposed to be there since i hate that...so, much apreciated for the videos and i never tired to say that with polish at the end of the project, will be add more visual things to blend sectors. I think you are right about giving too much suits and too much visors...that should be "fixed" as well.

Again, thanks alot and keep safe!

So this one is more your beach..no custom monsters, doom2 format...i made this map for the Pandemonium Speed Mapping Event.

BreaveThinFocus.WAD

you will need THESE textures along.

Thanks in advance!

@Arbys550

(outdated) Doomworld forum topic

I like it. You have a lot of freedom to explore, including the realistic possibility of getting most of the weapons in any order. There are light setpieces and epic slaughterfests, and most of it is enjoyable enough, especially, presumably, to someone who’s more of a slaughter aficionado. Visually, it’s very nice with a lot of attention on complementary natural texturing to sell the jungle theme. I think lighting could be worked on a bit, but the layout is visually pleasing, navigable, and contributes to the action.

Bottom line: Nice setting, entertaining action

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

This map doesn’t have anything I dislike more than mildly, but it’s just so vanilla. It’s pretty flat, not very pretty, and offers very little interesting scenery or exploration. It may not be the worst map, but it definitely feels like filler material, like it was made without much direction.

Bottom line: It’s fine, just not very interesting

I like this one quite well. Even though Doomguy is starting to get very powerful, there were suitable challenges. This map had a distinct and cohesive look to it as well as a good flow that distinguished one large area as the memorable hub.

Bottom line: maybe the best in the wad

@HAK3180, thanks alot for playing! I have fixed some issues in these two maps already. In map 07 there is a switch on the final area that brings down a lift so you can shoot that final switch, have to make that more visible...

Glad you enjoyed the 8th map. The final 4 maps might take a little bit longer since i stopped a bit my mapping...well i already started map 9...but its being a slow pace. I guess you have seen my latest request for you, im not very happy about it (because it was done under pressure of speedmapping and its quite basic) but like i said on the request, it will be more your beach. And actually, after i finish my Project i intend to start mapping more vanilla...weird right? I started more with the fancy and want to get to retro afterwards...but oh well. Thanks alot once again, and queep safe.

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Doomworld forum topic

The visuals are great – clean details that don’t impede gameplay but do make you enjoy the scenery. This map could maybe use a little bit of action with a plasma gun or rocket launcher, but I did miss two secrets, and even without, there was not much grind. The beginning is probably the highlight with the weight of an important decision right from the start, but the room ends up being a little too empty.

Bottom line: Very nice looking speedmap that plays adequately

38 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

The visuals are great – clean details that don’t impede gameplay but do make you enjoy the scenery. This map could maybe use a little bit of action with a plasma gun or rocket launcher, but I did miss two secrets, and even without, there was not much grind. The beginning is probably the highlight with the weight of an important decision right from the start, but the room ends up being a little too empty.

Bottom line: Very nice looking speedmap that plays adequately

Thanks for the good feedback! I really need some advice on gameplay, because this is my weakest point. The next speedmap in the requests will be longer than the previous one, so i hope for your advice for that map as well.

Fun fact: I did the gameplay in the "Vault of the Dead" in the last minute.

13 minutes ago, MAN_WITH_GUN said:

I really need some advice on gameplay...

I did the gameplay in the "Valut of the Dead" in the last minute."

Well, I think you've answered your own question...

But seriously, for whatever my opinion is worth, to me it often breaks down to a simple (well, not so simple to execute) principle: force Doomguy into tough decisions. 

@Steve88

Doomworld forum post

My first impression was definitely that this was a visually dull map. And even being done playing it, it feels like all the placeholder textures were simply left and no detail pass was made at all. That may be true, as this was a “speedmap,” but maybe the map itself could have been smaller so more attention could have gone to visuals. Still, it’s a fun map with a cool idea. The cyberdemons can get you anywhere. If they can’t, the arachnotrons can. So even though the space is wide open, there’s always a threat, so you still have to be careful with what seem to be easy encounters. I was mildly annoyed by getting thrown off track a few times, but in the end, I didn’t waste too much time or really get too lost.

Bottom line: good layout, good gimmick, needs visual attention

I'd like to submit for your consideration my new map. This is the next map for "Hell Frontier" you reviewed earlier and didn't like too much, but now you get plasma gun as well as more tougher monsters. The placement of monsters isn't entirely final, I'm trying to collect feedback to improve balance and ambushes.

@HAK3180
Thanks for the play through of "Valley of the Damned" and giving me your feedback. You are correct in saying i bit off a bit more than i could chew.

I plan on taking this map improving it visually and balancing the game play a bit more and putting it into a set of hellish levels.

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Doomworld forum topic

Very nice city appearance, and I especially like how the layout complements the gameplay so well, especially early. I think a few areas are a bit infight heavy, but the action mostly works fine. I have two bigger issues with this map. The first is the plasma gun. The only one is in a secret. I don’t think weapons in secrets are the end of the world if one of the following is true (1) that weapon is available in a nonsecret area later or (2) there’s not much ammo available for that weapon. This map’s secret is a plasma gun, but there’s also a bunch of plasma ammo throughout the map that you obviously cannot use unless you get the gun, which is only available in a secret. To me, that makes the secret too much of a game changer. My other issue is a more minor progression issue. You do see the yellow key early, but it’s so early, it’s very easy to forget about it by the time it’s available. There’s no telling what the switch that opens it does. You just have to think, “Maybe that opened the yellow key way back toward the beginning.” I’d like to see more visual cues to remind the player to head back that way.

Bottom line: fun, creepy city with some significant but easily addressable issues

@Clownslay

Doomworld forum topic

The map has some nice ideas in terms of spatial progression, even while it boast little visual appeal. The combat could use a big overhaul. It’s mostly rudimentary, just firing weapons at monsters without much decision making or prioritizing or enjoyment. There’s also a love affair with secrets that is cool except that almost all the goodies are in secrets. The map is not hard enough to render it unbeatable without finding them, but it is going to become a major grind if you don’t.

Bottom line: decent sense of progression but combat needs work

@Chief Smokey

Doomworld forum topic

I like the everglade vibe. The scenery is cool, and the layout is just fine, but a map this size needs to demand Doomguy’s attention much more than this one does. Most of the monsters are all but irrelevant in this amount of space, so a better and/or more frequent use of hitscanners and arch-viles would go a long way. And that would just be one simple way to put more pressure on Doomguy, but it could also be done with fewer species within areas, different setups of scenery so it’s not so open, even if it is just as large, etc. And the ammo -  my goodness. It’s hard not to have 600 cells until the very end, which is just a meme, basically. 

Bottom line: Fun space and appearance but combat leaves a good bit to be desired.