Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

@Austinado

download the .wad

The amount of traveling to and from the switch objectives felt just a little bit clunky, like the map wasn’t planned ahead much. But it probably wasn’t; it’s a speedmap. I don’t have much to say good or bad. It’s an adequate map for speedmap status. It if were to be polished, the ending could use another dynamic or two, and in general the combat is pretty one-sided.

Bottom line: Hey, it’s a speedmap.

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

What a map. The design is intricate and to me has a Doom 1 feel. It can be a little confusing, but in a good way. The combat here was appropriate and challenging. You were given a lot of cells, but you had to use them. For variety, I might consider trading a few for rockets, but there was hardly a dull moment and hardly a grind moment, and that says a lot.

Bottom line: Intelligent, fierce, and creepy

@HAK3180

Here is the latest and greatest version direct for you!
Includes a text with map list and winners etc.
Also here is the full gimmick list, mappers had to choose one, but could do more!

-ID level re-imagine (any doom 1 or doom 2 level, but redone)

-Minimum 100 Barrels

-Max 25 Monsters

-Ode to FireBlu, Must use Fireblu in a significant manner

-Exit Visible from Start

-Integration of a puzzle element

Good luck :)

PandSpeed11.zip

Edited by Steve88 : Fixed Issue on Level 4's Name

@Pełzająca Część Twarzy (Is there a way to mention this name without switching my keyboard to Polish or something?)

Doomworld forum topic

Very first impression is not good at all. It seems like this map includes the wad author’s latest skills and also the first thing he/she did in Doom Builder. But keep playing and eventually you see solid visuals and sophisticated fights that graduate to pure slaughter by the end.

Bottom line: Play through the whole thing. There’s a lot of good stuff

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

What a map. The design is intricate and to me has a Doom 1 feel. It can be a little confusing, but in a good way. The combat here was appropriate and challenging. You were given a lot of cells, but you had to use them. For variety, I might consider trading a few for rockets, but there was hardly a dull moment and hardly a grind moment, and that says a lot.

Thank's for the review. There's a few things I wanted to improve but didn't get around in time, including the delayed Mancubus spawn on the staircase (You could easily run past them before they show up because I put their closet too high) and Arch-vile not spawning at all. I also think I might've messed up the battle for the red key, gonna need to review tags there.

I've also put fences around the teleport pads so players don't fall off them, but you didn't have problem with that.

HAK first of all thanks for reviewing my last episode, it helped me to notice if something needed to be corrected or rebalanced. Fortunately not many things to fix!!!

Now I'm working on something weirder, i'll make an episode, or try to make one, that resembles visually a very amateur 1994 mapset, but with consistent balance and gameplay.

It will look ugly, like in those days, it will feature random texturing, mixing hell with techbase but in a wrong way, marble and wood meeting startan and compohso, strange shapes, bad alignment but "passable", cheese forniture, lots of firelamps and ridiculous decoration, easter eggs and the like.

Think of doom 3 smiley safari or heores, maximum doom etc. 

I'm aware many centennials won't like it or understand the nostalgia but some will!

Here's the first map:

Ugly duckling

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0c99jo6grhfpkej/LIBERTY01.wad/file

@Steve D

download the .wad

Unfortunately, this is actually a Boom map, so the plasma gun room did not work at all. Other than that, I had a good time. The large space is used well, much of it optional, and all of it up to you in terms of what to do first. The whole thing has a tidy structure and good sense of place.

Bottom line: A big, calm map with plenty of fun action

18 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: Cool idea: a map where you spend a lot more time running and strategizing than fighting/killing

Oh wow, despite the fact that this is the FDA - you almost speedrun this map :D (Or it's just a small map,whatever)

Well, i guess everyone here appreciated the idea of the map, despite the poverty of implementation for SUFFICIENT amount of time. They appreciated so well that for some reason the map was on the list of winners. ("._.)

About the gimmiks:

- Max 25 monsters. Well, you already know that's done pretty well.

- Exit visible from the start. You saw that already too, but still it was necessary to make a sign that this is the exit, my fault.

- Minimum 100 barrels. Many people actually think that the barrels here should be used as the part of the gameplay, but I used it as a decorative part, I think it is permissible.

- ID level re-imagine. Ugh, yeah. . . In short, I added this only because of the starting location, which is the weak Entryway beginning re-imagine.

P.S: What is wrong with the preview picture in the video? It's scared me, I thought that you accidentally downloaded the version without textures, lol.

21 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Unfortunately, this is actually a Boom map, so the plasma gun room did not work at all.

Whoops! My apologies on the Plasma Gun Room. Talk about your unforced errors. ;D I went with something like Raise Floor by 24 (Changes Texture and Effect). It was the "and Effect" that ruined everything. :D  I regret missing your reaction when you grab the PG and the Cybs appear almost instantly. Probably the fastest teleporter I've ever made. ;) But thank you for playing on Crispy and catching this foul-up, since it doesn't appear in Boom (natch). I've fixed that error and also the bleeding texture, which involved moving a couple vertices.

Thumbs up for kicking ass on the secrets!

I'm glad you enjoyed the map, in spite of its problems. I didn't want to say ahead of time that its origins date all the way back to 1996, before I joined the Realm of Chaos team. It was originally called Pillars -- I obviously put serious thought into that title :D -- and it was, to put it mildly, baboon-ass ugly. Here's the original starting room and main arena;

Spoiler

TZznM8m.png

EcvC0mn.png

MT4N7kD.png

The version you played was a revision from 1997 that eliminated the arena. The entire interior layout was done, but the Plasma Gun Room was unfinished and the lower Cyberdemon room had just the Cyb. But aside from that, the interior gameplay is mostly unchanged. The only additional area was a big one -- the entire outside section.

Another weird thing about this map is that I gave it to Cynical a few years back, and he went a long way to completing it as an HR-style slaughtermap, basing it on the arena. He never quite finished it though. Further, I plan to use the arena section as the basis for an Amiga Demo Party map, so to answer the question from @FrancisT18, this version of the map is not an ADP map, but the next version will be. 

Edited by Steve D : Uploaded too early

3 hours ago, MAN_WITH_GUN said:

P.S: What is wrong with the preview picture in the video? It's scared me, I thought that you accidentally downloaded the version without textures, lol.

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

YouTube's automatic thumbnail finding algorithm is highly attracted to bright colors

Literally always freaking teleporters. Sometimes I get 3/3 teleporters, but screenshooting something else would take another twelve seconds, and I'm lazy.

@HAK3180

So here's the next one; ODHell134  Limit-removing Boom-compatible. Plays on Map22 and requires cc4-tex.wad. Music track by Viscra Maelstrom.

This will eventually be called Krakatoa. This map is large but not super-gigantic, and the monster count is reasonably high. May take 40 minutes or more to complete. As always, with bigger maps I'm interested in whether it stays engaging or gets sloggy. This is also more linear than the last one. It was originally done for Sgt. Dopey's Team Mapping Project back in 2013, where I partnered with PhantomTMac. That project died and I ultimately decided to take all 3 of my maps and stuff them into my own megawad. This was the only one where I decided to remove my partner's contribution -- I have another with PhantomTMac and one with purist. Phantom made a couple clever mazes, especially his 3D maze, but I couldn't reconcile them with my vision for the map and away they went. I stuck with his styling theme, though, so some of his vision still remains. 

@Egg Boy

Doomworld forum topic (project)

I thought a couple encounters could have been set up a bit better, but most of the action is serviceable, even if feeling a touch uninspired. It’s a got a good layout with sight lines and actual physical connections that work pretty well. The aesthetic works for me, though I haven’t played Quake in about two decades.

Bottom line: It is what it is supposed to be

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

There are some hints of what xdarkmasterx would become, but mostly this map is very inspiring by its terribleness because this wad author is so much better now and not that much time has even passed in the grand scheme. This map is too dark, too big, too focused on hitscanners, too stingy on big weaponry until the end, and too disjointed.

Bottom line: It’s nice to see an old junk map from a now solid mapper

@Horus

download the .zip

Well, I struggled to figure out the red puzzle, but the hints were all there. It’s done well and works as it should and punishes you for being dumb via running out of suit protection. The blue puzzle I recognized immediately, including a solid strategy to solve it. I thought red was a little more innovative, but both were cool.

Bottom line: apt puzzle implementation

@19Wraith

Doomworld forum topic

19Wraith creates these maps that look so tidy and clean, almost like they’re not done by a human. There’s always a lot of interconnection, and here it generally works well with the combat, but a lot of the fighting feels perfunctory. Part of that is weaponry – there are too many demons and hell knights and revenants early to withhold big guns entirely. Part of it has to do with the situational use of the monsters. It was almost always either a key/item ambush or simply blasting stuff as you go.

Bottom line: strong layout and progression, not as strong combat

@Zolgia108

There’s some funky stuff in these maps, a few annoying moments, but they mostly are conventional where they should be and weird where they can be.  Many of the more defining moments in these maps work pretty well, and don’t at all remind you of this mapper’s earlier work (which is a good thing).

Bottom line: Glad to see this mapper back and still progressing

thank you so much @HAK3180 for playing them! I am sorry for the couple of bugs (the archvile sending you in outer space ahahahaah). I am almost done with map 10 and it will be a disaster i assure you! Complete madness. I laughed hard at map 9, know it.

Well the first 2 maps are opener, i didn't want to be too harsh, there is also a secret ssg on map 2, and the first rocket launcher on map 1 is found by pressing one of the fountains which has a different type of blood (not animated) in it. Map 09 is one of my first attempts in doing something slightly interconnected, but it's still hard, i am working on it! I ll catch up with you soon ;)

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

There are some hints of what xdarkmasterx would become, but mostly this map is very inspiring by its terribleness because this wad author is so much better now and not that much time has even passed in the grand scheme. This map is too dark, too big, too focused on hitscanners, too stingy on big weaponry until the end, and too disjointed.

Bottom line: It’s nice to see an old junk map from a now solid mapper

That's weird, it looks like when I copied the map in SLADE somehow it didn't copy the custom sky and music...

any way, i havent made any new level right now, but this

This is basically a joke WAD but it have proper gameplay (sort of, lol)

Edited by xdarkmasterx

HAK if you didn't record my last level yet please download it again, it's updated, the imps sprites were replaced. I'll be replacing the sprites of most of the enemies and maybe sounds too as I upload the levels, it's more work and something I've never done before but it fits the idea of a crappy old episode.

@HAK3180 Thanks for the playthrough! I've basically unanimously got more positive feedback for the red puzzle than the blue puzzle. And even though the red puzzle indeed took you some time, I watched about 5 or 6 other people FDA this map and you were the fastest to solve the blue puzzle. You played an updated version of the blue puzzle, which added a teleporter back (which you didn't use) and an extra visual cue of a couple of blue torches in the first room (which you didn't seem to use either, looked like you figured it out from the original clue of the floor pattern), both of which I added after watching someone trial and error their way through the blue puzzle (which as you can imagine is not fun). Interesting use of marks on the automap btw - I never knew you could do that.

And thanks for the kind words at the end. It was your thread and Austinado's thread that basically prompted me to release the maps I made in the first place tbh. Your honest feedback has helped me out a lot - especially the maps you were more critical of such as Impi and my first map.

@Clippy

Doomworld forum topic

The map has a fine core concept. You see the keys all in one area. You access them one by one and open their respective doors. The map reveals itself more and more all within the same area. But there’s no visual differentiation. The appearance looks like it’s mostly default Doom Builder texturing, like the gameplay was done first but visuals were never revisited at all. There’s too much narrow corridor action. There’s too much grind in general, I think because a lot of ammo/weapons are hidden in secrets.

Bottom line: I think Clippy needs to take more time on the execution of what are usually decent ideas

@Steve88

Doomworld forum topic (project)

Map 01: an interesting idea early on was over too soon

Map 02: off to a decent start, but seems like time limitation got in the way

Map 03: adequate short map

Map 05: another adequate short map. I would have liked to see more with the cyberdemon

Map 07: Great reimagine of a scarcely lauded Doom 2 effort.

Map 08: a little too simplistic for the slaughter genre for my taste

Bottom line: Well, some solid efforts in here among varying degrees of implementing the gimmicks. I can see why Map 07 was awarded first place.

Edited by HAK3180