Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Hello @HAK3180 how are you buddy?

So i have done a map for The Modest Mapping Challenge2 , and if you could playtest it and video record it i would much apreciate it.

- Doom2 IWAD

- Tested only with GZDOOM but will surelly work whatever port you use since its Doom Format;

- MAP09 slot (Lux Duritiam)

- You need the textures WAD to play along (its included in the file i have sent) 

For this first episode (where my map is included) the rules are:  

- Maps must be made under/equal to 40 Sectors (Can Join sectors)

- A maximum of 5 Monster types can be used (Can be different for each Difficulty)

- Maps must contain Co-op starts and be functional in Co-op (Albeit not the sole focus)

- Difficulty settings must be implemented (i would like you to play this UV but its balanced for HMP as well)

- Maps must be Pistol Startable

- No SSG, Plasma Rifle or BFG

Thanks in advance ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2gohcwva2mlu6u/LD09TMM2.rar?dl=0

Table of Contents

1 hour ago, Austinado said:

Lux Duritiam

How's your Latin? I think you may want Lux Duritiae or even just Lux Dura. But it's been a while since I could be called an expert. 

I was almost caught up!! Well, unfortunately, I will not be recording for almost two weeks. The good news is I have a video uploading for everyone who's requested one to this point. When I return, I will prioritize finishing Unfamiliar and Going to Hell. Anyone else can continue making requests, but it will be getting toward the end of the month before I get to anything else.

Well I just took this one out of the oven but it looks like it's gonna have time to set before you get back to recording :P

Your video and commentary offered so much useful insight I hope to get your opinion of my newest map.

GZDoom Compatibility

@Chief Smokey 

Doomworld forum topic

Continuous makes a big difference. Instead of wondering where the ammo is, now I’m wondering if there’s too much. Of the first three, M2 is my favorite, but these all feel rather empty. It’s still very tight, but the combat is now less suited to that, featuring meatier monsters, noticeably adding lost souls, hell knights, and revenants. Visually, very nice, and a good balance between recreating the original levels and doing something quite different.

Bottom line: I’m not really into the gameplay, but the appearance is good

@Walkerrr

Doomworld forum topic

There are some little progression improvements here, including the new switch textures and the exit being visible so early. Other than that, this map is just like the first three, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I do think this episode might start to blend together if we don’t see some significant visual changes or gameplay changes. The latter especially has become fairly predictable. The good thing is that it’s still fun, but variety is essential, especially if this is going to be a full megawad.

Bottom line: mostly more of the same, which is mostly good

@Clownslay

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a very simple hub + 3. The catch is there are scattered instant death traps in the hub and in two of the three rooms. As a result, it easily goes for me revenant > chasm > crusher maze. Some maps are meant to be practiced / routed before a "real" attempt, but I still expect it to be theoretically possible for the best of players to FDA a map. The armor trap is trash and the super shotgun doesn't even have a way out if one were to IDDQD. The map's brevity makes these less annoying in the grand scheme, but make no mistake: I absolutely hate these parts.

Bottom line: some parts cool, some parts crap

@CBM (Again, you cannot just edit your post and expect me to see it.)

download the .pk3

I honestly don’t know if this thing worked properly, but what I played was boring. I went back to play it again. Same thing. Then I saw the wad author's edit. This is a cool concept. You have to kill 30 monsters to exit, but every kill brings the blood level up, and Doomguy can’t swim. But there’s no ammo. I chainsawed arachnotrons and pistoled imps and humans, when I could even find them, up to 30 kills. Most of the time was spent searching for the monsters to kill. There’s no guidance at all. The entire map looks exactly the same.

Bottom line: What a good idea. There’s got to be a way to make it more fun than that.

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic (project)

Austinado doesn’t usually give you mind-blowing setups or architecture of visuals in general. I think improving in that regard would do a lot for gameplay, but within these simple setups, you get some decent stuff. He’ll surprise you nicely and do some fairly clever fights. I think some might find parts of this grindy, but I am typically a fan of shotgunning revenants. It was nice to have a serviceable weapon throughout, but the opposition drove you toward getting better equipment… or drove you away from it.

Bottom line: very Austinado and somewhat unorthodox

Hey  HAK3180

I updated TTTS: The Thing That Slithers with 4 new maps. I also took a stab at implementing the feedback you and others gave to the first three levels. Would love to see your play-through of the 4 new levels of TTTS (Map04-Map08). Feel free to skip the first three levels if you don't want to play them again.

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Clownslay

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a very simple hub + 3. The catch is there are scattered instant death traps in the hub and in two of the three rooms. As a result, it easily goes for me revenant > chasm > crusher maze. Some maps are meant to be practiced / routed before a "real" attempt, but I still expect it to be theoretically possible for the best of players to FDA a map. The armor trap is trash and the super shotgun doesn't even have a way out if one were to IDDQD. The map's brevity makes these less annoying in the grand scheme, but make no mistake: I absolutely hate these parts.

Bottom line: some parts cool, some parts crap

Thanks for playing my map, Henry. The reason why I had those traps for the items was because they existed in Hectic which is what this map was inspired by. There were several useful pickups in the main room that would kill you if you tried to get them. In this map, I wanted to switch up the types of items and where they were placed to try to fool people if they were familiar with Hectic and those types of traps.

@Clownslay, understandable. Precedent tends to mean a lot, as well as context. Understand that the context here is my opinion of the map - nothing more, nothing less. I'm never going to like that kind of thing unless there's some sort of meaningful hint that it's a death trap other than "some items are just death traps." Keycard instead of skull, for example, I'm willing to accept. Even the cyberdemon drop has a remote chance of survival (I think). But the armor and super shotgun = death. Whether another (renowned) map did that or not, I don't like it. I think it's poor design. You and others are free to disagree, and that's fine. 

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@CBM (Again, you cannot just edit your post and expect me to see it.)

download the .pk3

I honestly don’t know if this thing worked properly, but what I played was boring. I went back to play it again. Same thing. Then I saw the wad author's edit. This is a cool concept. You have to kill 30 monsters to exit, but every kill brings the blood level up, and Doomguy can’t swim. But there’s no ammo. I chainsawed arachnotrons and pistoled imps and humans, when I could even find them, up to 30 kills. Most of the time was spent searching for the monsters to kill. There’s no guidance at all. The entire map looks exactly the same.

Bottom line: What a good idea. There’s got to be a way to make it more fun than that.

Loved the feedback, the map needs work but I needed Some pointers to figure out how to proceed :-)

My plan so far based on the feedback:

A) Many more monsters

B) Much more ammo+health

C) More Stuff to look at in the castle

D) better staircases

E) fixing the counter

F) making all monsters spawn from the start

G) finding a way to Better guide the player

H) finding Some excuse erh story to explain the killing

Edited by CBM

And this is my goodbye post. As stated above, I will not be recording until 20 or 21 August. I probably won't even log in much. Happy Dooming as always.

Below is a video I recorded several months ago when things were slow. Then things picked up again so I never showed the video. It is me playing one of my own maps as if I'm recording it for this thread, as if it is someone else's (as if that were possible). Take a look if you get bored.

@HAK3180

Ooh! I actually thought about playing some of your maps as a kind of tribute to your WAD playing charity. Considering how insightful you are when reviewing maps, I'm curious as to see these insights work their way into your mapping. 

Where would I go to find some of your work?

I didn't mean to post and don't know how to use my phone sorry

1 hour ago, BluePineapple72 said:

@HAK3180

x

I

Edited by Clippy

My first map in the world of Doom Builder! It's quite short but it took a while so I hope its at least alright. :)

Compat - I mean i tested it with GZDoom but im not completly sure so i'd use GZDoom

Map Amount - 1

Length - not very long

Difficulty - I mean HMP is fine but i mainly tested it on UV so I'd reccomend UV

IWAD - Doom 2

MAP01 - Copy.zip

Edited by Mr Masker

What's it called? 

Just played this - yes it is very short... No problem though - monster progression is nice. I'd look at basic stuff like doortrak pegging and making sure the switch for the secret platform lift is only activated from the switch at the back. The front linedef also triggers the platform so it is not much of a secret...

Keep it up - it's worth it as you get better.

3 hours ago, smeghammer said:

What's it called? 

Just played this - yes it is very short... No problem though - monster progression is nice. I'd look at basic stuff like doortrak pegging and making sure the switch for the secret platform lift is only activated from the switch at the back. The front linedef also triggers the platform so it is not much of a secret...

Keep it up - it's worth it as you get better.

Getting used to the features of DB is something im still trying to work out but thanks for the advice! 

EDIT: I fixed all the stuff you mentioned as well as some doors that werent activated on both sides. Sometimes DB would do something to a wall that was highlighted without me noticing so that was probably what caused the lift thing. So yeah cheers for the compliments

Edited by Mr Masker

15 hours ago, Mr Masker said:

Sometimes DB would do something to a wall that was highlighted without me noticing

Yeah I find that sometimes too - the visual mode takes a bit of getting used to. I'll have another playthrough in a bit as well.

*EDIT*

Yep much better - one door is still missing unpegged flag for the doortraks (by the chaingunner platform switch), but yeah, changes have made it much more consistent to play - you can back out of the last baron room for example. I like these type of short old-school maps.

Above all else, enjoy doing it. What matters is that you make stuff that pleases you, not anyone else.

Edited by smeghammer

35 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Yeah I find that sometimes too - the visual mode takes a bit of getting used to. I'll have another playthrough in a bit as well.

*EDIT*

Yep much better - one door is still missing unpegged flag for the doortraks (by the chaingunner platform switch), but yeah, changes have made it much more consistent to play - you can back out of the last baron room for example. I like these type of short old-school maps.

Above all else, enjoy doing it. What matters is that you make stuff that pleases you, not anyone else.

thanks for the kind words! I hope I continue to enjoy making these maps and I might have a second more improved map eventually idk

@Chief Smokey

Doomorld forum topic

Pistol starting E1 was something of a struggle, but I don’t think the maps are balanced all that well around continuous either. As soon as I got the plasma gun, I have only gone below 300 cells once, and rockets have also been steady. These maps are way too tight on space to have any encounters that will call for as much firepower as there is. I actually ragequit E2M5, even though it had been very enjoyable. But after two extremely cheeky death traps, I was done.

Bottom line: Properly balance the supplies, give Doomguy more space, and these are maps I’d quite enjoy.

@Walkerrr

Doomworld forum topic

These are very good layouts that could perhaps benefit from a little clearer direction, but for the most part, you know where you’re going or at least what you’re looking for. Visually, these maps are coherent to a fault within the episode. They are practically indistinguishable. They look great, but they all use almost the exact same theme and not a lot of big standout landmarking. The same goes for the gameplay too, unfortunately. The first half dozen maps all play exactly the same way, so they become very predictable. What started out as a pretty good thing has by now entirely worn out its welcome.

Bottom line: This wad so far feels like the same map over and over

@Chief Smokey

Doomworld forum topic

E2M7 is a bit of a letdown in terms of penultimate map expectations. It’s much more of an And Hell Followed than a Spawning Vats.

E2M8 is an extremely disappointing finale. The first part seems to drag on too long, and then it’s over way, way, way, way too quickly and too easily.

E2M9 is a very simple hub, but hey, it’s better than Fortress of Mystery.

As usual, these maps feature very detailed appearances and a lot of tightness.

Bottom line: not a very good showing to end the episode. And what am I supposed to do with all this plasma?

@Walkerrr

Doomworld forum topic

Walkerr definitely knows how to make at least one type of map. The question is about other types of maps. Actually, one complaint I have is how some of the remote switches are still a little confusing. You really have to remember the level well sometimes, because a switch simply isn’t going to be near its effect. That’s harder than it sounds when every map looks exactly the same and when sometimes the same symbol is activated by different switches with the corresponding symbol. Combat is the same as always: lots of mid-tiers, perched snipers and fodder around corners, and arch-vile reveals.

Bottom line: more of the same, but 08 might be my favorite