• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

The symmetry here is quite noticeable. It not only affects the physical and visual space of the map, but even the monsters are always the same on both sides. Players already know they’re playing a video game; they prefer not to be reminded of it in ways like this. As for the gameplay, not much to say. It’s just a few quick encounters and then you’re done. Wait, no you’re not. There are two fake exits, and the second one is quite involved. The hindsight player will save rockets and not have any problems, but it seems quite easy to get yourself in a situation where you can’t get back up.

Bottom line: This one feels the most like a speedmap so far

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

I dislike when water is suddenly impassable, but the first wave was an interesting idea: as you collect more goodies, more waves of monsters are revealed. They’re not very dangerous, so the space is probably a bit too much, but you do get to use some of the most gratifying weapons, and they are the only two you get for the majority of this map. I like extra content secrets, but the invulnerability made that fight a breeze. They last too long; what can you do?

Bottom line: definitely the most gimmicky of the first 5

@Dranyan

Doomworld forum topic

2: good looking map with adequate flow, but it’s more to look at than play. A lot of the fighting is a bit dull because of the size of the areas compared to the opposition in them. Often you just circle revenants and super shotgun them. The ending, however, was much more interesting than any other encounter.

3: Visually, it’s very nice, just like the first two. This map has a lot of visibility, which allows you to appreciate the conceptual design right from the start. This map also takes a big step forward in quality of combat, almost entirely eliminating rote super shotgun dances in favor of some decent organic setups and truly threatening traps and reveals.

Bottom line: I like the overall style and I like the progress I’ve seen.

@nicolas monti

Somehow Monti manages to make a map of under 150 monsters and not a lot of 2d space into a 30-minute fun map. The combat is always serviceable at worst, but the main course is just observing and experiencing the connected layout. Everything has a purpose. Anytime something looks pointless or superfluous, it will probably factor in later or it’s a secret.

Bottom line: Extremely efficient use of space

I found out yesterday that I will be going on a work trip starting tomorrow, so I will not be posting any more videos until the end of next week. I'll catch up. Happy wadmaking. 

Hey HAK3180, when you're back from your trip, it would be cool if you'd consider playing the new Rowdy Rudy wad at some point. It's all vanilla compatible stuff. Listening to your perspective on the original RRR over a year ago was very informative and entertaining for me. Whenever you have a chance, I'm in no hurry. When and if you do get around to it, I'll be keen to watch.

Although the wad has continuity from map to map, for the purposes of commentary on map balance, I'd prefer to see how they go from a pistol start. The difficulty does ramp up somewhat, I think you'd be able to handle Expert but Hard would still be fine either way.

Edited by Doomkid

Hey HAK, hope your work trip isn't too boring. 

My new map is complete. Please try it out when you have time. No rush! 

Hope you'll like it. I've been enjoying watching your reviews this year. Cheers.

(edit: Just in case, I'll mention that the link has been updated and a final edit has been added.)

Edited by PeterMoro

Hi HAK3180,

Hope your work trip went well.

After a year-long break I decided to have a go at mapping again.
I made a pretty non-linear map where there are multiple ways to progress and some optional areas.
I tested the map extensively and I tried to balance weapons/ammo/monsters so
that encounters are fun and engaging no matter which route you take.
It would be really great to see how you approach the map and listen to your feedback!
The map is very much classic and old-school, I hope you will enjoy it.
I hope I can add it to your list.

Download link:
http://jaceknowak.net/storage/doom/carbon.wad

Map data:
IWAD: Doom2
Map: MAP01
Compatibility: Boom
Tested with: prBoom+ 2.5.1.4 and GZDoom 4.4.2
Difficulty: medium to hard depending which route you take, there are some tougher moments on UV but nothing too crazy
Length: ~1 hour
Gameplay: no jump, no crouch, freelook not required (tested without)

Additional resources used: PatchTex textures downloaded from Realm667 by Gothic.

Thanks!

Jacek

Got a new map for you: MAP11: Foile a Deux

As usual, no jumping or crouching (Vertical aim is acceptable on this one but not recommended), Crispy Doom is the port of choice. Doom 2 format.

Use wad from opening post for sky and crate texture replacement, if you wish.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

@DragonsForLunch

Doomworld forum topic

Visually, this map didn’t have much identity or beauty, but that didn’t stop it from having some memorable moments. There were a few brief campground encounters, but the gameplay was mostly entertaining. The layout was good, and I thought the geometry and 3d considerations created some interesting fights, especially the revenant fort and the crate havoc.

Bottom line: a Doom adventure that kept my attention

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

Well, let’s start with the positives. The map has a cool atmosphere. It’s tall and pretty wide open, though there are a few areas where you need to use stairs or lifts for access. The progression makes enough senses. The switches were color-coded in some way, but basically just keep pressing use and exploring until you win. Even with that approach, you’re not really going to get lost. But the combat just didn’t do much for me here. I liked the mad dash when I first got the rocket launcher and plasma gun. I also thought the beginning was nicely oppressive. But I didn’t care much for the setpieces after that, especially the huge hell knight plus revenant fight.

Bottom line: There’s not much to make this a bad map, but I just didn’t really enjoy it

A quick single map WAD I've been working on for 6 months.

Should take about 5 minutes to play.

Requirements:

IWAD: Doom 2
SourcePort: GZDoom (GZdoom Compatablity)

Difficulty: Ultra Violence/Nightmare (Haven't finshed any below)

Dynamic Lighting (Most of the lighting is done with this)

Gameplay: Freelook Optional

Ishreal.7z

@Walkerrr

Doomworld forum topic

The aesthetic here is pretty generic hell, but I don’t care – I like it. It’s classic and tastefully implemented here. That combined with the relative freedom you have to explore this map gives it a nice immersive atmosphere of infernal hopelessness. I was happy to see big guns right away. There may have been too much ammo early though, but then again, I left the cyberdemon alive until late. This map is largely incidental, but I particularly liked the fights in the first dark cavernous area I did. The instapop is always a little annoying, but it was still fun. Overall this is an enjoyable and memorable map.

Bottom line: a fun hellish adventure

Hey @HAK3180! I am sorry for the map, it clearly needs a lot of fixing. This was the second testing so i knew something would have gone wrong. Green area for example didn't even work for some weird reason... I couldn't hear the audio cause i am at work but i will give you a proper answer tonight. I thin i wanted to do too much in yhis last episode and i am not up to the task, that's the main issue here. I have problems regarding surrounding spaces and i should probably stick to a more classic doom playstyle (map 31 is more likr the older ones, linear and no setpieces, i hope you will enjoy it). Well, thanks for trying this, at least now i know more or lrss how to move and what to do. The boss is utter shit. 

EDIT:

now that i could hear what you said i can write more:

!) that wasn't italian, it was "hebrew" and it means: world was created from love  :P

2) the fight in front of the heart: it was pure boredom, so now there are no more imps, there will be hks instead of imps and barons instead of hks, so space will be more tight, also 2 archviles will spawn on the top so that you will need to take cover behind the columns, but i also added a bfg there.

3) greeen area was fixed and now works, you completely missed a fight there and i am sad :(

4) i still need to think about the blue area and what to fix there to be honest.

5) i've added a surpise in the yellow area that should work well together with the green one as well (basically when you go in the green area you become surrounded, one way to save yourself is to quickly run inside the yellow one)

6) i am thinking about completely remove the boss (map 30 is an outro with no monsters, that's why the boss is here, but it didn't turn out to be fun and it is also pretty heavy (like 2 mb) so i might as well open the exit at that point.

Btw there are two exits, like 2 endings, you, of course, took the "bad" one, and it ends the game, then there is a secret one which takes you to map 30 :)

i really don't know what else to fix here sadly, not easy at this point :(

Edited by Zolgia108

@frozen_turnip

This is a very strange first map. Very rarely does someone come out of the gates actually mapping for GZDoom. There are a number of occurrences that are nowhere near doable in vanilla; I'm pretty sure this is a UDMF map. However, some of that was problematic. It seemed the mapper was not aware of Doom expectations, and by that I don't mean combat trends that certainly can and should be ignored sometimes, but mechanical stuff. For example, there were lots of monster death triggers and a couple times a switch would make a closed door openable. These are not things Doomers are looking for at all - well, not I anyway. The map also had some odd progression. At least a couple times I was very confused about what to do next. Combat was mostly not very exciting - often tedious and very artificial-feeling. Monsters would frequently teleport into a standstill position right in the middle of the map - not in teleport "pads" at all and not in waves - just "poof!" In general, I was a lot more interested in traversing the space than fighting the monsters. I didn't mind the city area. It was a bit boxy, but I liked the sandbox approach. But I didn't think the transitions to hellish parts were done very well. Overall the texturing is basic, but the spacing is not too bad. No area seemed way too big or way too small, which is common in first maps. My advice would be to focus on interesting encounters in smaller maps, and use the demands of those setups to develop other mapping skills: logical flow, architectural intrigue, etc. 

Doomworld forum topic

Bottom line: Some fine conceptual ideas, but attempts too much for a first map

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

I like well-polished speedmaps in community megawads because they keep the length/size down as speedmaps but don’t compromise quality. This is a good map. I forgot these were speedmaps until writing this now. To be overly general, speedmaps often feel either incomplete or Scythian. This is the latter, and that’s a good thing. The big wave of monsters could have used a little more nuance, I suppose, but it was decently effective and nothing in this map really overstayed its welcome.

Bottom line: fun little city vibe

I'm back again with maps 15-17, 31. Real bugfest this time and because of that I am suspending my wad. If you know something about the bugs go ahead.

Use Glboom+ (Hurt me Plenty difficulty) for two reasons:

1. There are problems with Gzdoom

2. For some reason some people think this is zdoom project. I don't know maybe mention in a video, that this is Boom project.

Because friction effect will not work if you load them from a save in Glboom+ with complevel 9. Play Map 16 with complevel 11 (Map 16 uses this effect as an important feature). Map 17 doesn't use friction and other maps use it as decoration. Playing with default compability makes some switches silent.

I understand, that you do not like fighting new monsters, but one is Wolf SS with different sprite and another is practically Pinky from nightmare difficulty and appears only in map 17 for now. I hope it is not a problem. Map 31 reuses rejected parts of map 3, so some parts of it might look familiar.

On the other hand I fixed HOMs in the previous episode,so the wad is back at Boom compatible and more than half is completed.

It took me 30 minutes for maps 15, 16 and 15 minutes for maps 17,31 to complete them.

Edited by Kain D. : Typo

@Soulless

Doomworld forum topic

I may be a little bit biased toward the Soulless style of mapping (not much custom stuff, not a lot of high gimmickry or groundbreaking innovation), but I always have a good time. This one is definitely tight, and you do get a lot of rockets; part of the challenge is manufacturing space to use them. The map manages to give you a decent number of different spaces without becoming incohesive, so navigation is not an issue, but neither is overall theme in question. I felt monster placement was great. There’s a decent challenge, and even the easy moments aren’t just rote button pressing. The weakest point is probably visuals, but it’s more of a less strong point.

Bottom line: there’s always more than meets the eye, in a good way

@Doomkid (just wanted to get at least one done - you won't go to bottom of queue just for this)

Doomworld forum topic

It does what Map 01 should do: introduces some changes, such as bestiary and texturing, and also gives you ample opportunity to use the upgraded 2 slot weapon. I enjoyed the progression and the dual aesthetic of out by the beach and then in the base. I don’t think I like the mandatory secret in this case, if that's what it is.

Bottom line: a fine, busy opener

Glad it seemed to be enjoyable overall! Just to give a bit of context for some of the decisions: since in this instance Rudy is storming a hidden base, I felt it would just be weird if they had the doors ready to swing open for just anyone, so a key is tucked away in that little cave. Since the map is pretty linear overall, if someone misses the key, they're likely to use the small trail that opens up (by the green fence) to come back to the main area and explore, and surely within a minute or two find the small cave with the key.

Also, that tele that brings you to the secret invuln/berzerk is "meant" to be entered before you kill everything else. It makes perfect sense people would want to clear out a room fully before entering a tele at first, but I like (minor, non-crucial) little bonuses for "ballsy" approaches once in a while, just a random design choice that I can see being hit or miss depending on the player, but since not much is riding on it anyway it could hopefully be excused regardless.

The most important thing I wanted to mention re: the authors not being on the intermission screen is that it was just a personal decision. I feel it takes me out of the experience - I like to try and get immersed in a world and seeing someone's name just brings me out of that for some reason. (Little tangent, in the Star Wars NES game there's a bunch of panels with pictures and lore and stuff, but then one just randomly has a programmers picture and name.. It's funny, but since it's not a secret or anything, it just felt jarring and removed me from the experience..) If anyone is curious about who did what, F1 brings up the credits screen, which I feel is more effective anyway - using author credits under each map name instead almost feels unfair to those who made the other important assets whose names are never seen during normal gameplay.

Looking forward to more!

Still thinking about making a map set, but I think I need to make a few more, and then figure out how to actually do it haha.

About the map, glad you liked it. Hope more people play the map, im sure a few got reluctant just by the term "Slaughter" on the map name,

but its the perfect definition. I still havent managed to make a non-linear map, but I try to make the player see other areas beforehand as much as I can.

As you said progression is guided, and theres no way you can get the blue key before the red key.

About the secrets and plasma gun well, I thought theres enough ammo, mainly rockets, around (moreover if you find the backpack), thats why I did it secret, but you are right, some secrets grants nothing, unless you find the gun 1st, I should have tweaked that a bit.

The BFG secret is there for you from the start, at a prize. At 1st it was going to be the "Blue key" area, but as always, map got a bit out of hand,

and I didnt want to double the size.

Thank you for playing and for the excellent commentary buddy!

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

I mean, it’s a Doom map. It’s not really noteworthy negatively or positively in any way, which incidentally, is a positive for me. It does boast a little bit of identity with the repetition of climbing up / significant height differentials, but it’s just another solid short map

Bottom line: still doing exposition in this brief, but complete adventure

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

I think this map has some mildly questionable decisions, but it’s fun overall. The progression is a little outside the box, mostly in a welcome way. The layout is fascinating and much different from the wide open Maps 01-02. I did not really get a chance to experience either the spider or the rocket launcher.

Bottom line: Some minor flaws in an otherwise fun map

@PeterMoro

Doomworld forum topic

Moro’s maps are usually extremely nonlinear and long. This one was quite linear and short, but it still felt very much like the same mapper, mostly because of the whole “grand tech base” aesthetic. I liked every stage of the map. It started with deceptively dangerous fodder. Then there was a fun, immersive descend to ascend section. I’m not sure what happened with the arch-vile and company, but it was a little annoying to have him shooting me as a fish in a barrel.

Bottom line: same Peter Moro, just less map

@jacnowak

download the .wad

This is like a Sandybox on steroids. Fairly early you can see an all-three-keys door, but other than that, this map gives you very little direction. It’s up to you to forge your own path, gather weapons, collect keys, and stay alive. I like it. The very beginning can be tough because there’s so much going on, but the fact is any decision you make will give you the supplies needed to survive that decision, and many decisions will steer you toward seeing or getting a key. I like the idea of a bit of a sequence to get the plasma gun, but I do think it would be wise to offer at least one more, since the way to get the one is very much tied to one particular building that you could enter early or very late. These type of maps are very hard to balance. I think this one wisely errs on the side of abundance. It’s a phenomenon you just wink at. In a perfect world, I would not have had quite so many rockets and cells toward the end, but better that than scraping by. I do think all of the bosses could be eliminated without any loss to this map.

Bottom line: a fun sandbox of absolutely no direction

@Error-404

idgames download page

Beginnerisms to improve:

• Think more about gameplay and less about space.
  • Have encounters in mind as you build space.
  • Think about vertical and horizontal movement
  • Make it fun to kill monsters. Shotting from a doorway is not very exciting, nor is chainsawing demons in a hallway or chaingunning a baron of hell.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@PeterMoro

Doomworld forum topic

Moro’s maps are usually extremely nonlinear and long. This one was quite linear and short, but it still felt very much like the same mapper, mostly because of the whole “grand tech base” aesthetic. I liked every stage of the map. It started with deceptively dangerous fodder. Then there was a fun, immersive descend to ascend section. I’m not sure what happened with the arch-vile and company, but it was a little annoying to have him shooting me as a fish in a barrel.

Bottom line: same Peter Moro, just less map

Thanks for the review! Glad you liked it. Really bummed that you played the first (broken) uploaded version, which had a few minor spawning issues (archville) as well as some missing textures. A few days ago I tweaked it and fixed a few things and left a new link and edited my request post on this thread but i suppose you didn't notice. No biggie. I enjoyed watching your playthrough. Your feedback is always an honest, helpful  and fair assessment. Cheers HAK!

Edited by PeterMoro

@PeterMoro, if I've already invulnerabilitied your post, it means I won't look at the post again. Last minute updates need to be brought directly to my attention, and it still may be too late. Editing a post does not and cannot, as far as I know, trigger a notification.

48 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@PeterMoro, if I've already invulnerabilitied your post, it means I won't look at the post again. Last minute updates need to be brought directly to my attention, and it still may be too late. Editing a post does not and cannot, as far as I know, trigger a notification.

Right. Didn't know that. I thought editing would have triggered a notification. Not a problem, next time I'll DM you. Thanks for telling me.