• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

The hellscape here is not exactly original, but it works and looks good, so why fix what isn’t broken? I appreciate the difficulty approach of this level. I find it thoroughly engaging without much grind at all and without being extremely difficult. I think players at my skill level or give or take quite a bit will find this neither frustrating nor insulting. The time spent on the big slaughter fight (well, if you die a lot anyway) can lend itself to this feeling a bit like two maps. I think there are some simple ways to remedy that, such as putting in some windows showing the hellish atmosphere outside.

Bottom line: intuitive and immersive layout with fun, varied gameplay

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

This is kind of the quintessential 180 MPV map. There are a couple maps I’ve enjoyed a lot more and some maps I’ve thought were less fun. This is sort of the average because it’s good-looking, flows very nicely, and has some good, but not great gameplay. Again, the hell theme is what you would expect, but it’s handled well. The combat is generally engaging, but it relies a little too much on weaponry/ammo withholding for my taste. It's not that you're punching stuff, but it would be nice to get through those barons more quickly, for example.

Bottom line: gameplay could be more exciting in places, but very nice layout and detail

I've been a huge fan of your youtube channel and think you give the most useful and insightful feedback of any WAD reviewer. Because of that I have another WAD for ya, "Reminisce Evil" https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CvnnhH7T4f1jaHZvoOZTC2ZHrbmAORhL/view?usp=sharing

I've been working on this map casually for 5 years so you better like it!

Screenshots -> https://imgur.com/a/fGyiKb7

It's a limit removing Doom 2 map with vanilla style gameplay, textures, monsters, etc. Balanced for ultra violence. Does not require vertical look. No jumping. Playtested with Zandronum(software) and GZDoom(hardware). The map is medium difficulty with moments of high to very high difficulty spikes. I spent a ton of time ensuring there was good pacing and branching paths with meaningful level design. I put everything I have into this WAD, so if you think this map sucks don't hesitate to say so - because that means its time for me to retire from level design.

Edited by Robert_Kendo

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

This map does a good job of being pervasively active without ever being tedious. That and a medium difficulty throughout give this high accessibility. I do think it could chop about one area or give up a bigger gun a little earlier, as it gets a little bit repetitive, but the flow is good, visually and physically, and there’s a gradual ramp to the most difficult parts toward the end.

Bottom line: just a touch drawn out, but quite entertaining

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

The combat of this map was largely run and gun – medium-high density fodder simply placed behind doors and around corners. Lots of bullets and shells. It felt like a quick and easy way to make the combat somewhat enjoyable without putting too much effort into it – high efficiency mapping, I guess. But I was wanting more. I had 600 cells that I never used because I ever found a plasma gun, but they would hardly have been necessary anyway. Even the rockets didn’t serve much of a purpose. The gameplay felt like doing a Knee-Deep in the Dead speedrun with just the chaingun but trying to kill everything. But let’s talk about the layout. It’s excellent. It’s got some verticality, a good mix of large and small areas, tech and natural areas, and an easy to follow progression that does some storytelling.

Bottom line: Stellar layout unequaled by the gameplay

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

This definitely has a similar vibe as Hell Beneath. It’s a tight and tough episode opener that does not boast a large kill count or a lot of square feet, but it’s memorable for its varied approach to difficulty. Ammo deprivation is part of the game, but not so that you have to punch or make every shot count. Sometimes you just can’t kill something (yet), and have to leave it in position to keep shooting at you. This is supply deprivation that I tolerate, even enjoy. Visual experience is just a nice, depressing red and dark – suitable and polished.

Bottom line: An elegant and punchy opening to the final episode

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

I like the different approach to hellish appearance, and the layout is functional. What I don’t like is how captivating the fight is not. The early action is the best. Then you get into huge fights that turn very quickly into massive infights. And the finale just had too many monsters. They were all turrets, so killing them is always going to feel like cleanup, so why so many? That entire space could have shrunk proportionally without losing any difficulty, but it would become much more entertaining. Also, hell knights instead of revenants barons.

Bottom line: just so much infighting

Edited by HAK3180 : typo

Hi there, I have this map just recently uploaded to idgames and I'd like you to check it out. I remember from your "Parallels" playthrough that you expressed curiosity about how I would evolve in mapping, and I enjoy your videos a lot, so maybe this one will give you the hint. 

Map is called Zeramida, the longer description is in the text file, which you can read if you want a little insight about the map's overarching idea. Compatibility is limit-removing, occupies slot 01 and requires doom 2 iwad. I personally tested in Crispy Doom, but you can use prboom+ with complevel 2 if you want to or gzdoom. The difficulty is imo on par with Eternal's "Epic 2", as is the overall theme more or less -several tight encounters, exploration is important, all secrets give extra goodies and eye candies, some attention to details wouldn't hurt, etc, if you never played epic 2 then perhaps think of Plutonia. On HMP and HNTR you will be given an SSG, on UV there is a berserk pack instead meant to be an upgrade tool. Average length is around 7-10 minutes without deaths, depending also on how you like your exploration.

Here's the link

Note: there're two in-game demos which show how I do the introductory fight without exchanging any damage on UV (or taking the minimum). I say this just to keep in mind.

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

Good map here. The lost souls annoyed me a couple times, but most of the combat was on point. Everything had a purpose, including the space and precise location of things. There’s not a lot going on visually, but lighting is good and the space is conducive to the combat.

Bottom line: an environment tailor-made for nuanced challenge

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a small layout packed full of activity. Visually, it’s nothing like the maps preceding, favoring a more organic natural approach with gothic structures. The beginning forces you to think about your approach and, to some degree, which key you want to pursue first, but you can’t actually see them until you’re upon them. The fights are sound, especially if you actually get the rocket launcher as soon as you’re able.

Bottom line: Some minor mind games in an efficient map

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

Mostly choreographed fights to some extent here. Every objective is a fight and they are all on the slaughter spectrum. Combine that with a prominent use of custom monsters, indeed high-powered ones, and this is not exactly my style, but I think it succeeds in what it attempts. There is decent variety and challenge among the fights. No problem with visuals. WH always gives you nice-looking maps.

Bottom line: The heat has been turned up the last few maps

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

This is not the best looking map, being dominated by simple geometry and only a few textures, but it’s got some innovative fights. The beginning is probably too big, but I really like the big slaughter fight with two crushers going, and the final ascent to the exit is quite memorable. It’s a bold move to withhold the rocket launcher and BFG in a map like this. I think it’s mildly annoying at times but successful overall.

Bottom line: Slaughter has now definitively arrived

@WH-Wilou84 (okay, that's all for today)

Doomworld forum topic

Well, the effect of Map 32 is back – turret monsters (and some not elevated but not moving) essentially don’t die; they get replaced by a new monster of the same class teleporting in. I tested the number on one particular revenant. There have to be at least a dozen monsters lined up for this purpose. So I hate that. That entirely ruins this map for me. But supposing that is not a factor, then the annoyances of this map are much fewer: the supplies appear unexpectedly sometimes, and there’s a heavy reliance on arch-viles and cyberdemons to create difficulty. Beyond that, it’s a good map. Solid, pretty small structure with fun but intuitive progression. The whole thing is pretty much incidental combat, as you’re always free to run and roam. I like how you have to revisit the one main supply area that’s in the damaging floor.

Bottom line: I hate this map, but I could extremely easily like it quite a lot

Wow man, haha, thanks for putting up so many videos - I can't even keep up with your rhythm. :p
Really appreciate your effort and commentary style.

Two things :
1) Yeah, the BFG9000 is quite rare in this wad. There's one in map 11 that you lose immediately, then you get one again in a secret area in map 23, then it shows up in map 27 and later for some of the
most frantic sections we have to offer.
We've tried to focus more on RL and Plasma this time.

2) Since you've came so far, I just want to point out that maps 29 and 30 are very long, much bigger than what you expect when you hear the word "speedmap". In fact, a lot of maps in this wad are much longer and more polished than typical speedmaps, and this is particularly true for maps 29 and 30. You'll have to be prepared for a long and chaotic ride. Good luck :)

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

I like the structure and how the beginning gives you the opportunity to think out your strategy. I don’t like how the map spits on your strategy immediately by teleporting in more monsters, including replacements of turrets you’ve killed. Overall, it’s pretty entertaining with a variety of challenges and challenge levels. By the end of the map I was out of rockets and never found a BFG. This map, predictably, employed a lot of arch-viles, so at that point I was no longer interesting in killing.

Bottom line: I’d appreciate a BFG in this one

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

I often say I don’t like slaughter, but it really wasn’t until the latter half of this map that you get to the slaughter I don’t like, which usually involves a BFG and holding down fire while you move appropriately. To me that lacks nuance, although the invulnerability grabs were a point of interest. It's ironic that I wished for a BFG in the previous map; I guess I wasn't mindful of the combat that accompanies it. But this map had a nice flow and a reasonable sense of variety, both in style and difficulty.

Bottom line: BFG slaughter finally, but reasonably varied up to that point

Yeah, I don't like "mindless" BFG9000 slaughter either.
For map 29, I've added some variety, like these Invulnerabilites at the end you have to grab in due time. Glad you appreciated it despite not enjoying slaughter much, and congrats for claiming victory on this map as well :)

I doubt you've played my map yet since you probably have a large backlog, but just an FYI that I updated it today to make the hell section slightly more difficult as well as mark a secret that was overlooked. It should be all good to go. I'll also be submitting it to the archive today under the shortened name Remi_Evil so hopefully it will be approved soon! The link I sent should still work.

Hey man, i can see many other Hellevator mappers sent their map to you so you could test it. So i think i will also send you mine, i mean-- why not ?

Name : The Womb Floor (I haven't changed the in-game map name though)

Compatibility : Boom

Length : Around 30 minutes, but could be longer than that.

Difficulty : Hard/Very Hard.

Please play on UV difficultly. Regarding the sourceport, it's up to you. No jumping, no crouching, no free look.

Download link :

https://www.mediafire.com/download/qedbolej5565qgx

IMPORTANT NOTE :

- The map occupied MAP28 slot, not MAP01

- I haven't tested it much, only twice, so expect to encounter many bugs and problems that i failed to notice. But at least it's beatable.

- I accidentally put one voodoo doll in the playable area. If you find it, just ignore it. (Though, it could be a problem if the monsters accidentally hit it). I'm too lazy to remove it today :p

- This map could be very difficult to you. Other mappers in the project seems to hate it because of the difficulty. So, i encourage you to save a lot, i also don't mind if you resurrect yourself, or even use god mode if necessarily (Though, i want to see you try, so don't use it too often if you could)

Thank you!

Hi there, here's a miniWAD that takes a little over an hour for completion of all 7 maps.

Compatibility at the top of the post with the download link, but just in case:  GZDOOM run with TNT | Able to be 100 % without Free look, Jumping, or Crouching.

I've been fortunate to have people give me feedback to adjust the design of it, and would love to see how others handle the updated version.

Going to throw my hat back in with another map I made. It is my first bash at a non-linear map. 

Tested with Crispy Doom / GZ Doom. Game - Doom 2 Map 29

Please note!!! - There has been reports of an issue with the blue key room and a soft lock. I have yet to solve this issue as it seems to work fine every time I test it. If you encounter this issue then feel free to noclip out of the room.

Further details in the link!

Thanks!

@WH-Wilou84

Part 1

Part 2

Doomworld forum topic                                         

I don’t really see hub maps as nonlinear. I know they are exactly that by definition, but to me, this feels exactly like five linear maps that you can play in any order. I think each section is made by someone different, so you get some variety in that way, but since the order isn’t forced, you basically have spammable supplies of rockets and cells the entire map. That gets old, especially when you don’t get a BFG until the end. There were some interesting slaughter moments and nice visuals throughout, but it just wore me down. I thought the premise here was 3 hour speedmaps, but the last 3 or 4 feel like anything but. The last several maps are probably longer than the first 26 combined, and the finale is the biggest culprit. I’m all for different length maps, but this one is so much longer and so different from how we started that it feels like it’s saying that this is the real deal, the moment we’ve all been waiting for – “long slaughter is what you need to get to eventually.” Honestly, if this were the representative map of this wad, I wouldn’t come near it. But that was a digression. The map does what it sets out to do, which is send you on a handful of journeys and rough you up in each one. My favorite part was probably FF’s. I did not figure out the very ending, even with cheats.

Bottom line: Pretty much what you would expect for this thing’s finale, after the last few

Although 180 Minutes Pour Vivre is not particularly high on my list of favorite megawads, it's not particularly low either. There's clearly some good mapping talent among the French. The main detractors for me were mostly subjective style things and polish issues, likely related to the time constraints. This thing is definitely worth a look, and if you don't like several levels in a row, IDCLEV around and see what you might find.

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

The overall wad concept is a fun one. This is a pretty basic idea within the creative big picture mapset, but I think you need some of those, too, and it’s still done well. It’s mostly tight space and your best firepower is rockets, so Doomguy’s movement is important, and mistakes can be costly.

Bottom line: another short and sweet map for a cool project

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic (project)

This one takes either skill well beyond mine or some level of strategy. The main event is a brutal slaughter fight where you have very little space to maneuver, but not enough ammo until you take out some enemies. It seems to be designed to make you retreat and live to fight another day. I like the cyberdemon terrorizing the upper level. Overall the map works okay, but it does feel a bit out of place in this wad. It really had the feeling of two distinct floors, and the whole point of the wad is each level is a floor.

Bottom line: short and tough

@boojum snark

Doomworld forum topic

The first two maps are a little too wide open. The combat becomes boring and perfunctory. However, the layouts are always solid, and you get a rewarding sense of progression between keys and switches and just map unit displacement. Maps 03 and 04 pick up in the combat department and give you much better thought out encounters that provide both better challenge and more fun.

Bottom line: classic, but distinct – I’d play more

@Impboy4

Doomworld forum topic

The layout itself is pretty choppy, but it does have just enough forks not to feel like a super linear rail kind of ordeal. It also helps that the map is well detailed. The architecture itself – the room shapes, the vertical space, the contrast in sizes – is quite basic, but you still end up with a pretty good looking map. That lack of interesting 3d space, however, does show up in the gameplay. Most of the combat is pretty stale, with the exception of the blue key fight. Still, since we’re dealing with weak monsters and there is a super shotgun, this could be a lot worse. It can be fun to score cluster kills on fodder, whereas grinding on hell knights (which you don’t have to do) is always boring. I did appreciate the two different ways to the exit via two different blue doors.

Bottom line: pretty flat and basic design, but not bad looking and somewhat gratifying

On 9/11/2020 at 8:23 PM, That_Gay_Kid said:

A quick single map WAD I've been working on for 6 months.

Should take about 5 minutes to play.

Requirements:

IWAD: Doom 2
SourcePort: GZDoom (GZdoom Compatablity)

Difficulty: Ultra Violence/Nightmare (Haven't finshed any below)

Dynamic Lighting (Most of the lighting is done with this)

Gameplay: Freelook Optional

Ishreal.7z

I don't know if you're still around, but I apologize for overlooking this entirely. I'll move it straight to the top.

My new-ish policy is to invulnerability your post when I have downloaded your maps. I don't always play them or post them in precise first come, first served order, but please do yell at me if it's clear that I've skipped you. I will not decline without saying so.