Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

On 12/23/2020 at 1:24 AM, HAK3180 said:

@Austinado

This map surprised me. Austinado is usually pretty linear, but this map was almost entirely optional, it seemed. Lots of weapons to get in any order all came with a price, but the critical path itself only put you right next to a shotgun, chaingun, and BFG, I believe. For a three-day map, it’s pretty big, although definitely a bit empty in places, and not very well detailed, but the function is not bad. No fights took too long or were too boring, except maybe the cacodemon swarm. My impression was that a very subtle switch that I thought was going to be a secret was actually necessary, but I could be mistaken on that.

Bottom line: A pretty involved map that, despite its obvious simplicity in several regards, manages to maintain interest

Thanks alot buddy.

You are one of the main reasons i have done this map. Everytime i make a map, i hear you say..."linear" so i got interested in doing something non linear. "Abstergo" is not portuguese...is latin for cleanse. I dont know why, i like to get these latin words for some of my maps. Im having fun going more traditional and simple on my mapping. Thanks alot for the video and i hope you had some fun!

Merry Xmas ;)

Hello and Happy Holidays! ,o/

Ol' Saint Nick has been telling me you've been a good lil' playtester this year, so we've whpped up a fun little megaWAD for you to play through.

15 maps, each with 10 sectors, 5 Archviles, 4 Cyberdemons, and a whole bunch of other nasty stuff for you to blitz with plasma, bullets, rockets, and shells.

Have fun!

A quick 2 day map for doom2 oriented on frantic gameplay, you don't need to press the space bar for this one.

This is the kind of map I don't usualy do, just experimenting with alter egos

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fm2hplhhtwytupy/dontstop.wad/file

My computer is on safe mode due to problems so I only tested this with zdoom "doom strict" compatibility mode. It should work with crispy unless some action gets bugged by an actor.

An update on my map I've been working on recently. Now called "Imperium" It is a linear set of 13 fights that range in difficulty and mostly get more difficult as you go on. I've only got to finish the last two fights and build the surrounding scenery. Then I'll release it after eliminating any bugs I find in it. For now, have some screenshots. If you have an opinion on what you see, then say it wether or not you think good or bad things.

Screenshot_Doom_20201228_210253.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201228_210222.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201228_210157.png

Start pistal start from level 16, then push on from there, levels 16-19 are on this.

@NaturalTvventy

Doomworld forum topic (project)

The parameters are such that the map is probably not going to be all that pretty, but the space is practical, leaving Doomguy exposed from many directions at once. I like how you get some weaponry but don’t necessarily want to use it; the choice is yours. There is a series of objectives, so survival is part of the game, and there’s an interesting decision with the blur artifacts, whether to get them or not. I also like how you have to waste precious time waiting for supplies to come down.

Bottom line: simple successful gimmickry

13 minutes ago, Aku said:

[Labyrinth of the aku]

now i have added lots of new enemies (around 80),textures, weapons (including necrocomicon, freeze wand, nail gun, saw thrower ext) and lots of special items

there are also [friendlies] within the game

Jump, crouch and look is allowed.

I'm afraid I'm going to decline playing this wad any further, based on these changes that will make it decidedly not something I have any interest in. But best of luck in your wadmaking, and do check out this now pinned thread to help find playtesters.

@HAK3180 I completely forgot I showed you pop map

I was trying to be lighthearted and fun when making this and certainly was not trying to make fun of @The BMFG in any way. I liked this guy's soda concept and felt inspired to make a quick little holiday map sort of as a tribute to the fun nature of the project. His maps were rushed and beginner like but the gimmick and passion for the gimmick really appealed to me so I made this for fun and yeah not sure what to say this probably shouldn't have been put on your desk, sorry about that

I will come back with a real map some day, right now I'm not inspired at all and this pop thing was the last thing that motivated me to make something even if it was quick and lazy, always coca cola music and santa with the coke just meant to be in a fun spirit....

I just try to have fun and thought this would be a quick fun thing to make when I felt like mapping so this gave me an excuse to scratch that mapping itch

- very sorry this looked like a mock job, it really wasn't meant to be and I'm sorry if anyone was offended

Not sure what else to say on that thanks for your time tho :)

@Clippy, okay, fair enough. I meant it more as a warning than accusation, I guess. I routinely fail to factor speedmapping into commentary, partly because I usually mention it at the beginning and then forget about it, and partly because it doesn't really mean anything other than just put an asterisk by the whole thing.

22 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Clippy, okay, fair enough. I meant it more as a warning than accusation, I guess. I routinely fail to factor speedmapping into commentary, partly because I usually mention it at the beginning and then forget about it, and partly because it doesn't really mean anything other than just put an asterisk by the whole thing.

No worries

Truthfully and believe it or not I was inspired by the soda maps to do a more laid back map / usually I play maps and move on but this one oddly enough stuck with me - it's such an unexpected and fun gimmick in my eyes with a fun vibe to it, I mean the mission is to go around and drunk all the sugar drinks lol 

Playing maps you know there is a lot of crazy way too hard maps out there, even tho this wasn't pretty there was something relaxing about it to me and I was really full of holiday cheer at the time. But this premise just felt like a good time you know, lighthearted silly concept right up my alley

I played them and somehow right after felt compelled to create SOMETHING - ever feel like you want to map but just got nothing to work with? But you desperately just want to make something cause building is fun?

Actually my wife was working from home at the time and I had to beat the clock to get this made within 2 hours so we could go on an adventure

This was sincerely meant to be a tribute for motivating me to map at a time when I feel like I'm losing the drive to make maps - like I said I have another map sitting on a shelf and do not want to work on it at all... and it's looking more and more likely the idea won't work and I'll be scrapping it until a worth while idea comes to mind - I've only abandoned one other map before and soon it may have a brother

It was nice to kick back and make something that was quick and fast after spending so much of myself on that other way too big map I made

I was just having fun with something light and easy for a change :)

But me having fun getting to play doom builder doesn't necessary mean fun for others and due to the low effort of this map I shouldn't have taken up with your time with this.

Thanks for your review regardless tho and I won't submit pointless short maps like this again - I hope to come back with a substantial but appropriately length solid attempt next time

@TOVA

Doomworld forum topic

You notice right away that the visuals are bare – not much detail, not much lighting. That also extends to the geometry – very basic, almost always right angles. In beginner wads this is often combined with a very limited understanding of encounter setup and yields pretty boring Doom, but I gotta say: these first two maps held their own in terms of keeping my interest in playing. It’s just low key run and shotgun with fairly large areas and exploration, especially E1M1. I failed at secrets, but I think a chaingun was overdue by the time I was done. I also don’t think it’s going to be fun for a whole episode if the exit is never seen until you arrive at it, but that's more of a minor point. Let the player see not only some of the preliminary objectives, but also the final objective. It’s okay in E1M1 where there are no preliminary objectives, but once there’s a sense of progress, the feeling of never knowing when the map might be close to done can be unsettling.

Bottom line: despite the “objective” quality not being very high, these are adequately fun maps

@TOVA

Doomworld forum topic

Both these maps have decent enough progressions and somewhat interesting combat. M3 is a little too choppy again, even though there is a nice full circle effect with the exit, and M4’s elevator gimmick, although unifying, is a bit wearisome. The M3 chaingun is basically a secret, and I didn’t get one in M4. I haven’t come close to a rocket launcher yet. These are fairly long maps, and it gets a little dull to shotgun everything for so long. That one little detail makes a big difference.

Bottom line: We’re gonna need a different kind of excitement very soon.

@HAK3180 Levels 1 and 3 were made in May, way before my mapping style "transformation".  Levels 2, 4 and 5 (and Supersecret levels) have been made in NaNoWadMo. 6th one is the lastest instalment to the project so far. I say it before watching FDAs, so maybe, I'll update it.

Well, I watched first 4 levels and yeah, I went a bit too crazy with hiding chaingun, so I need fix that eventually. I guess it becomes slightly more accessible in next levels. Anyway, thanks for your current playtests :)

@BluePineapple72

1-2

3-5

Doomworld forum topic

Map 01

A good introduction to the themes and concept.

Map 02 (I had to run and when I went to finish it, I realized I had very little left from the video, so I just left it as is.)

A little more gimmicky, basically this is a two-fight map. The first is pretty standard setpiece material, but the second is unique and interesting.

Map 03

Nice little wolfenmaze gimmick with optional stuff. Might have been fun to make the BFG more of a hunt. I also thought the exit lowered too quickly, but not bad at all

Map 04

Some people can do a lot more with 12 hours than others. There just isn’t much to this map. It’s like William Henry Harrison; you can’t say a lot of good about it, but you don’t really want to say much bad about it either.

Map 05

A series of not bad but not that interesting fights in a somewhat choppy setup, but I did like the cyberdemon + cacornament spam.

Edited by HAK3180

@thelamp (I apologize for the mic volume on this and Map 07. I use a lapel mic and just did not put it on. It was hot but not actually close to my mouth.) 

Media Fire download page

These maps all have some odd texture usage, but something about this one felt much more tolerable, more “quirky” then “weird.” This level gives you a good adventure. There’s a lot to do, but you do sense your objectives, and the different areas and encounters are distinct, yet the map takes you back to a central unifying hub area multiple times. And kudos for a well designed spider fight – not particularly difficult but unique and interesting.

Bottom line: A lot to do and a lot of variety

@nicolas monti

Media Fire download page

This is indeed unlike the last 60 or so Monti maps I have played that all featured progression and/or exploration as the undisputed main event. In this case those honors go convincingly to the combat. It is a series of setpieces that feel organic. The combat is orchestrated, but it’s not slaughter, and it doesn’t seem deus ex machinaed into your face. You have to think about your movement, your enemy priority, and your weapon choice, and you have to think fast. I believe I heard Monti's name thrown around as a cacoward snub, not this year, but last year. I love his usual style, but I think inserting some more genre variety into his mapsets might be what would push him over that line, for what it's worth.

Bottom line: a pleasant surprise that this mapper can do this style this well

@thelamp

Media Fire download page

It’s a closer that consists mostly of two fights. The first is an oppressive onslaught of imps and Map 07 monsters. You start out on the run because you don’t have the guns/ammo to deal with the imps. Then you never get a big supply of ammo at once. It’s all scattered about, so you continually expose yourself to projectiles as you gather up the supplies to kill the monsters. It’s a well-executed concept. Then the second wave is an extremely annoying pain elemental spamfest that I would never want to tackle “properly.” I could Groundhog Day play this map 10 times, and 10 times I would try to bypass that final encounter/get through it as quickly as possible.

Bottom line: Great start, not so great finish

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

12 Days

You posted the same video link twice here. Looking on your youtube, I can't find Maps03-05 either.  Nevermind, twas right under my nose.

Also, I should notify you that the longest two maps are MAP11 and 13, Man With Gun and my maps respectively. 

As always, thank you for checking these out. ,o/

DOUBLE EDIT:
I meant to say MAP11, not 10.

Edited by BluePineapple72 : Map 11 is the longest in the set

29 minutes ago, BluePineapple72 said:

You posted the same video link twice here.

That's because I have no brain. 

It's fixed on the forum now.

@BluePineapple72 (37:42 - 43:55 may challenge your patience and/or your notion of me as a remotely competent Doomer. You won't miss much by skipping any or all of this section.)

Doomworld forum topic

If you look at the automap, you can see how disjointed this map is. While you’re playing it, it definitely feels like room after room after room without much inner connection. There’s also a gnarly backtrack at one point. But it still manages an adventurous feel. I think the encounters are varied enough to serve as a foil to the room to room approach, and they definitely get more and more difficult. I quite liked the ending big fight.

Bottom line: it gradually turns into a challenging epic

@BluePineapple72

Doomworld forum topic

The parameters of the wad itself are starting to become wearisome, I think. The demands of the wad are such that you probably cannot make that big a map, but you do have to pack a lot of meat into it. Knowing that I will always have to deal with four cyerdemons, five arch-viles, and nine pain elementals is somewhat tiring, especially in these maps that seem to be more conventional. I think it’s a little unfortunate that this ended up at 15 levels because I fear the concept will get old for many. But this map. This map. I actually like it a lot. It has a lot of little height changes and connections that eventually unfold to a big arena. Then you continue going through intricate little paths until you teleport to a brand new area. I do think that was a little abrupt, but both areas are a lot of fun. My main issue with this map was the midtexturing. Several times I did not at all notice what was happening with translucent windows, so I just died.

Bottom line: A cool map identity and solid utilization of the project demands

@mrbengaltiger1

This map does several things that first wads often do not. It avoids compulsive grid alignment, but not in a completely “I’m just randomly drawing lines in Doom Builder” way. The space scale is pretty good. It doesn’t try to throw massive areas your way, and the tight areas are not too tight. The fact that there are examples of both is even a good thing. And the map is not entirely straightforward. You can get the yellow key early or after you see the yellow door. There are some sequencing issues that should be fixed, as I got softlocked twice. The map does feel like it’s designed to played exactly one way. There are some crudeness issues of appearance, usually related to transitions and sharp angles. I do think the combat design is a cut above what you often will see in beginner wads. First wad + lots of higher hp monsters often = boring grind, but that wasn’t really the case here. I hope this mapper will work on polishing in terms of visuals and foolproofing without compromising some semblance of unique identity.

Bottom line: Tries to stand out a little but doesn’t try to do too much

Long time since you last played a map of mine, but you haven't missed a thing. Really appreciated the feedback and playthrough of my previous two maps, as such I'd appreciate if you gave this one a whirl as well. Boom compatible, recommended to play in GLBoom+ and... happy new years!

Map takes me about 10 minutes to beat. I recommend not forcing yourself to play save-less when doing a FDA.

@TOVA

Doomworld forum topic

The secret map is gimmicky, but the scale is off; it’s not a good use of the huge amounts of space it usually is. The mass of demons is actually some of the most fun I had, but not at all because of fighting them – because of herding them to maneuver around them to hit the switches they were guarding. I dobt that was the intention, and I don’t like the idea of making max players suffer through endless grind. Both maps feature almost a rail setup. You never explore or choose what to do; you just do it.

M5 has got to be the pinnacle of boredom without secrets, so I’m glad I found a rocket launcher and berserk. Once again, spacing is an issue. The map is pretty empty, so the encounters lose a lot of effectiveness. Overall, both of these feel like beginner maps, much more so than some of the others I played earlier in the wad.

@Malefication

Doomworld forum topic

This is a solid effort for someone early-ish in mapping looking to improve. Visually, there are attempts to do things. There are some custom textures. There’s interest in lighting. There’s contrast between dark and bright, natural and manmade. There’s a decent level of texture cohesion – not trying to do too much in the grand scheme. However, the indoor areas are noticeably bland, yet some of the outdoor areas have too many textures in play and not enough geometric and “architectural” variety. Those would be some things to work on. The progression is a little too linear for my liking. There’s hardly even a hint of the player making a choice on how to proceed. That can be fine, but despite an adequate visual theme being established, the map does feel a little fragmented. There’s often a visual connection from area to area, but the spatial connection often just amounts to the door or the hallway. And once you open the red door, it’s like the first half definitively ends and you’re in a new map. All that negative energy out of the way, though, I felt the gameplay was not bad at all, especially considering the linear aspect and rarity of seriously considering multiple directions. Some thought went into these encounters, and that shows. I don’t know if it’s as hard as Malefication had in mind, but it’s neither frustratingly hard nor easy for my skillset.

Bottom line: An enjoyable enough map and one to build on in terms of mapping skill  

@HAK3180 Level 5 is remade version of my first map ever done.

And I need fix secrets, and chaingun and yellow key.

Also in a secret level, I need to mark secret somewhat better.

P.S.: SuperSecret levels are available by IDCLEV only

@BluePineapple72

Doomworld forum topic

This map does not seem especially interested in the challenge, but it’s a nice break from worrying about all the arch-viles and pain elementals because the cyberdemons are only a factor in one area of the map and you get tons and tons of cells. You still have to maneuver wisely, but it’s a little bit of a cathartic feeling to see so many bulk cells strewn about even while you’re constantly over 300, even while burning through them rapidly. Yet you don’t feel overpowered or safe; you just feel up to the challenge. I like the little maze of hallways, some damaging. This is the kind of map that might be fun to hold speedmax contests.

Bottom line: a fast-paced plasma spamfest