Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

I didn't want to double post, now on the last one "one by one" the video helped a lot.

I made a few little changes that prevent the difficulty curve to drop towards the end. No more BFG and the last "big item" is a soulspthere instead of a megasphere.

I took out one box of cells towards the end also so basically the last fight is SS and RL, with the addition of an AV. Also the room that used to hold the BFG traps the player for a few seconds so the AV on the other side of the map has more resurrecting chances. All in all I think the result is a better map.

here is a map i made called "Stygian Abyss"

it runs on GZDoom on Doom 2. 

Average playtime would be about 10 minutes

Edited by Deathclaw886

To be played in GZDoom with the Doom II iwad and dynamic lighting enabled. Average playtime is 30-40mins. "Master of Doom" is the preferred difficulty (the equivalent of UV).

Edited by Chief Smokey

For some reason. It's not letting me post my map here so I'll just link you to my maps thread. Go to the newest one.

Compatibility is in the thread.

Edited by Jacek Bourne

Table of Contents

On 1/9/2021 at 1:15 PM, Chief Smokey said:

[Everglade Redux]

Sorry, but I'll pass on this one. In a very quick playthrough of the first few minutes, I definitely remember this map. It's not short and does not seem to be all that different from what I played before, besides new sounds, which is a negative for me.

In general, I very rarely do redos.

Edited by HAK3180

2 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Sorry, but I'll pass on this one. In a very quick playthrough of the first few minutes, I definitely remember this map. It's not short and does not seem to be all that different from what I played before, besides new sounds, which is a negative for me.

In general, I very rarely do redos.

So you won't be playing There and Back Again again? :P

Just now, Clippy said:

So you won't be playing There and Back Again again? :P

If you were to release a redux of that, I would probably be curious and check it out, but no, I would likely not do another HAKthread video.

7 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

If you were to release a redux of that, I would probably be curious and check it out, but no, I would likely not do another HAKthread video.

I added two stimpacks and a zombieman

But really I have a new one on the boilerplate, thanks for your help in that other thread

@Deathclaw886

Doomworld forum topic

It definitely puts emphasis on mood. The map is bigger than you would expect for under 50 enemies. That’s because there are several scarcely populated areas that seem to be there for the sake of storytelling. I was glad to see attention given to that, even if the implementation was not always the best. The enemy encounters are totally secondary and not very exciting. You pistol imps, you super shotgun lone meat, and you tackle a couple simple ambushes with hundreds of cells. This is an early map, obviously, but there’s some encouraging stuff in here. It’s probably harder to improve mentally than technically, and this individual’s stronger suit is the former.

Bottom line: keep the passion for some slightly outside the box stuff as you learn the conventions of solid mapping

This is the second map I have published for Doom 2. It's Boom Compatible (tested with -Complevel 9), and I guess in ZDoom the compatibilty mode would be "Boom (Strict)". More info, link and Screenshots here:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it is a short map, shouldn't take longer than 15/20 minutes. It is also a bit easier than Plutonia. It also contains one new monster and a faster pistol, hopefully it's not too much.

Edited by Valhen : I hope I didn't forget anything more ._.

@nicolas monti

Media Fire download page

I don’t think this is a super original use of a cyberdemon, but it’s a good one. To craft and balance a map so that rocketman is a factor all the way through, yet you’re also fighting mancubi, hell knights, arch-viles, and revenants with suitable weaponry but still unable to take out the cyberdemon shows some expertise. I like how it’s a simple cycle to complete, not too long, ending with the inevitable showdown. However, it’s certainly plausible to accumulate enough ammo to get the cyberpest out of the way early, but it doesn’t feel cheap to do so. You have to earn it, and then you wonder if you saved enough cells. Overall the combat could perhaps have been varied a little bit more, but despite being a redundant series of similarly set-up traps, it does not get stale or feel like it’s dragging.

Bottom line: strong concept, fun throughout

Map13 of In the Doghouse is done. The old map13 was moved to map14. This newest map used to be map15, until I replaced it with the space station level. Now it's sitting at map13.

It's a 3-key hub with a hidden skull key in each path. It's not incredibly hard, and the combat isn't really the type of combat I usually do. There's only one hard fight. It takes me less than 20 minutes to 100%. It might take up to an hour for you depending on how many secrets you find.

Just a reminder it's boom compatible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tyzwbm8dz0gnp2/doghouse.zip?dl=0

Edited by Arbys550

@Jacek Bourne

Doomworld forum topic

What I liked about this mapper’s previous stuff was the identity of the situations. It was often setpiece-oreinted, but not slaughter. Stuff was nuanced and distinct. That seems to have been traded for quantity and perhaps difficulty, although I don’t think seasoned slaughterers will find this much of a challenge at all. If I’m giving a slaughter fight a real attempt, I expect to die dozens of times. I only came close to that in one fight in this map, so I think another thing missing is that sense of puzzle that forces players to think through their strategy a bit more than is demanded in these fights. The result is often an almost pacifist infight or a simple spamming of BFG. Even the fights where I had less success and did require some rethinking of approach lacked the weapon variety and spatial variety that I like to see. The visual touches are pretty nice, but the lack of variety is better suited to a map 1/2 - 2/3 this size. It’s also extremely linear. Even if the fights are so separated and distinct, I feel the map itself could have been more connected, and reusing an old fight space for a later one might have worked with the prevalence of arch-viles.

Bottom line: To me these are mostly more “just do it” than “solve it” encounters

Yo HAK, here's my new speedmap for another event by BluePineapple72 called Clandestine Castle Crashing and the main theme there is minimum 10 secrets.

- Map Name: From grave to brave

- Author: Man With a Gun (MWG)

- IWAD: Doom 2

- Music: Pcorf - prcp map21.

- Format: Boom (Complevel 9)

- Difficulty Settings: No

- Build Time: 8hrs. 12 mins. 35 sec.

- Comments: In short, it supposed to be a wad opener for this set, but since i'm not the first who submitted my speedmap - it's just small and classic gothic map with 10 secrets.

P.S: If you'll see the weird middle texture near to the red key - just for you to know it's a problem of the texture pack itself with broken offsets (Looks okay in ZDoom ports btw)

- Screenshots:unknown.png.aac5241db9636e52b3328d09a9984cec.png

Download: gg.zip

Edited by MAN_WITH_GUN

Hello @HAK3180, how are you friend?

A little something for you whenever you have the time.

You will need this texture WAD at the same time with the main WAD:

- This is from a speedmapping event this month , theme 10 secrets (i hate secrets)...

Hope you have a little fun ;) 

@Valhen

Doomworld forum topic

This was pretty fun. It is pretty typical for a indoor outdoor base with CC4 textures, but most of that conformity is good, and it does throw some fun wrinkles at you, such as the cool crusher situation and some other level changes that give this some identity. I didn’t really appreciate the sudden hell detour, but I did like the revenant fight in there for the most part. Some of the combat was a little simplistic, and that’s the only area in which I would have guessed this was a newer mapper. There was some definite door combat a couple times, and the cyberdemon fight was pretty weak. But this thing has merit. Nice job.

Bottom line: well-polished in every regard with only some hints of amateurism

Maps 08 and 09 are ready for testing. Map08 has difficulties and map09 doesn't cus I clean forgot before uploading :) Both pistol startable. 

You probably don't remember from last time, but the last level you tested had a text wall describing a mechanic in these two levels and into the future. 

To put it simply. Water heals. Stand in it :)

37 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

This was pretty fun. It is pretty typical for a indoor outdoor base with CC4 textures, but most of that conformity is good, and it does throw some fun wrinkles at you, such as the cool crusher situation and some other level changes that give this some identity. I didn’t really appreciate the sudden hell detour, but I did like the revenant fight in there for the most part. Some of the combat was a little simplistic, and that’s the only area in which I would have guessed this was a newer mapper. There was some definite door combat a couple times, and the cyberdemon fight was pretty weak. But this thing has merit. Nice job.

Bottom line: well-polished in every regard with only some hints of amateurism

Thanks for playing! Glad you enjoyed it. About the combat, I will try to make it better for my next maps.

@HAK3180

If WIP stuff is OK with you I'd appreciate another set of eyes on my megawad Visions of Hell. 15 short-medium length maps using Plutonia.wad. It is vanilla compatible so should work with any port - just be sure to use the seperate DEH patch if your port won't read the one in the WAD.

Only snag is that it uses custom monsters, which you say is not your preference but they are not too different to the originals and are used with restraint.

@Arbys550

download the .zip

I thought the beginning dragged a little bit. It seemed like a little too much antipasto before the main course, but once there, it was quite fun. It is a hub+3, but the 3 are not totally linear, and there’s also some optional stuff in the picture. Visually, it’s poorman’s breathtaking. No custom textures at all, but a beautiful landscape paves the way for some organically interesting combat most of the time.

Bottom line: This is the style I think I like best of this mapper

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Doomworld forum topic (project)

This mapper has a lot of pretty stuff under his belt. Spending a lot of effort on visuals pays off because the maps always look good and have interesting flow. The ten secrets really made this map and gave it a fun, mysterious feel. All you really have to do is get the red key and exit, but there’s so much more you want to do. I kinda understand why powerful weapons were held in secrets, even if I don’t like it; it does drive the intrigue to some extent. Where the “speed” aspect comes in is the combat. It feels a little bit boxed, like what a noticeably-better-than-Oblige program would generate. It’s not horribly boring or ineffective, but doesn’t really strike you as specific to the space or innovative.

Bottom line: I like the clandestine vibe

@purist, WIP is good unless we're talking about not exitable situations like keys not placed or "southwest section not started yet," but even that kinda stuff can be okay with enough direction as to how to cheat my way through it.

Edited by HAK3180

16 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@purist, WIP is good unless we're talking about not exitable situations like keys not placed or "southwest section not started yet," but even that kinda stuff can be okay with enough direction as to how to cheat my way through it.

All maps are complete, it is only WIP in the sense that I am going to add more maps before release and am open to fixing bugs / making improvements etc for existing maps based on feedback.

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

If I did a speedmap, it would probably end up something like this. It feels like some gameplay ideas were thought up, geometry was roughly drawn, and then gameplay was implemented with the thought of doing final beautification if time allowed, and time didn’t allow. So in short, the gameplay is a lot more polished than the appearance and even the progression. Something’s gotta give if you only have eight hours. The beginning was my favorite part, exploring the wide open area to see the different parts of the level and try to survive the many turret monsters. I thought the cacodemon swarm was a little unnecessary. This map has so much space that killing that many is kinda pointless, and since ammo is relatively short, not practical. I wish I had found more secrets, but they didn't seem to drive the map as much as you might expect in this project

Bottom line: not all that clandestine, but an adequate speedmap

@HAK3180 once again thanks alot for playtesting.

3 out of 10, but has you played, the secrets are not essencial to finish the map. With so many secrets, its normal to search around a little bit more on the map where the spots are. Yeah...im more to try to entertain the mapper in light/medium battles against monsters than decoration of the map. But yeah, being a speedmap i leave that more secundary. 

Hope you had a little fun...and keep up the great work you doing ;)

Cheers

PS: That secret you got by Arch-ville jumping is not the way to get it...but you nailed it anyways! :D

1 hour ago, Austinado said:

That secret you got by Arch-ville jumping is not the way to get it...but you nailed it anyways!

Okay, I see what you did. Looks like you used that mechanic twice. That's something I often check for, but not when there is no discernible difference between the different possible paths of approach.

@Alfredo

Doomworld forum topic

The layouts of this wad are emerging as the strong point. The 3d flooring and exploration was pretty cool here, even if the visual experience was lacking. Alfredo creates some pretty entertaining combat in a variety of ways, so that’s good. I thought the ammo balance was a little off in some places, as well as the health balance until I remembered the healing pool thing. That will be interesting to watch as the wad goes on. My initial hesitation is that it will encourage a setpiece heavy mapset, and if that’s the case, why not just put megaspheres before every lock-in a la slaughter maps? But we shall see.

Bottom line: an interesting semi-puzzle

@purist

Doomworld forum topic

A simple opener with nice detail that allows you to take in the sights quite a bit.

Now we’re starting to see some character. Feels like Sigil principles in a more Plutonia-looking map. I’m not a big fan of the constant oppressive atmosphere, but if that’s the goal, it seems to be achieved.

Entirely optional areas are now established as a definite thing, as is a very unforgiving nature, including ammo balance. I don’t like Doom where I have to think about fisting 2-shell surviving demons. I don’t like to shotgun multiple 300+ hp enemies. I’m hoping Hurt Me Plenty is more willing to give up better weaponry, or I won’t be enjoying this wad at all, even though I think the structures are quite clever and interesting.

Bottom line: the start of a unique wad

@HAK3180

Thanks for playing! I think you are making the right call in dropping the difficulty. UV is designed as an advanced challenged for people who already know their way around the levels. That said, I don't remember the particular issues in terms of ammo starvation being so pronounced on later levels and even on MAP03 you may have found it less of a grind if you took the alternative route as you would have found a RL and would largely avoid the lava too.

I try to give the levels different feels so I think there will be stuff more up your alley to come. You mentioned the levels having character so it's a design choice that was not lost on you.

Looking forward to seeing you continue.