Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

@R2card

I had my mic channel turned off from recording something else and never turned it back on. I apologize, but I probably won't be re-recording this one due to time constraints this month.

Doomworld forum topic

These types of maps are fairly common, so when novelty isn’t there, it’s a matter of execution. Despite a generic underground appearance and some corner/campy combat, this thing managed to keep my attention. It’s got a neat little progression that makes sense but is somewhat puzzling – it’s the most immersive aspect of the map

Bottom line: Just another cave-ish map. You won't miss anything by skipping it, but you probably won't be sorry you played it.

@R2card

I had my mic channel turned off from recording something else and never turned it back on. I apologize, but I probably won't be re-recording this one due to time constraints this month.

Doomworld forum topic

This is a very immersive (see what I did there?) experience that plays less like Doom and more like a 3d Zelda game or something, very fitting for a secret slot – why not? For me it had some frustrating progression moments like many others in this wad, but the difference was I felt this time it was more often my own fault. It seemed that by a second or third playthrough, the map would make lots of sense as a well put together adventure.

Bottom line: probably the most unique in the set

@HAK3180

Thanks for taking the time to play all 18 of my maps, your opinions and views on everything I hope will help me become a better mapper, and I plan on creating more WADS in the future, which will hopefully be better! Before I do that, I'm gonna make this WAD as good as it can be!

@Perdition666

Doomworld forum topic

I think there’s just way too much space again. Lines are not limited, no, but sectors and things are, and sometimes when you can’t use more of those, huge spaces end up very bland. I think it would be wise to build smaller maps with such a limitation for aesthetic purposes, but also for gameplay purposes. There’s just no need for Doomguy to have so much room when he’s never dealing with more than five monsters on a given level at a time. Again, it's an interesting concept from the mapping perspective; I'm just not seeing it translate to the playing perspective yet.

Bottom line: this is a short, yet large, yet very empty map

46 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: this is a short, yet large, yet very empty map

I have a bad habit of making large rooms, I think it’s cause I don’t want the player to feel claustrophobic, but it’s something I’m trying to work on.

@Waltor

idgames download page

Emulating that E1 style can be harder than it looks. It’s more than just using a lot of startan. Besides not a lot of health, this does it well: lots of paths, many of them somewhat mazelike, many of them completely optional, all littered with low-tier action. I would say lighting could use more attention, but this is a promising start to a Doom episode and a promising start to a mapping career.

Bottom line: I don’t think this is going to be Sinergy or Deathless quality, but an admirable little tribute to Doom

@Waltor

idgames download page

More classic Doomage – optional stuff, lots of secrets, and mass killings of weak enemies. I wouldn’t mind seeing a rocket launcher secret in a map this size, but for the most part, this plays like Doom.

Bottom line: I don’t know if this stays E1-ish, but my only concern so far is that this style might get a little old before it’s over, since both maps are fairly long so far.

@Waltor

idgames download page

I like it. Again we get lots of paths and lots of options with fun combat. I really like how the floor raises up so that you only have to travel the nukage once, but then you have to fight your way back.  I think what stands out to me most here is how Waltor appears to have considered every possibility, which is not easy to do when you allow so much exploration and even a not strictly defined critical path.

Bottom line: This is turning into a pretty legitimate Doom tribute.

@Waltor

idgames download page

I don’t mind the concept here: entirely optional map with five paths to complete if you want to. I enjoyed rocketing and plasmaing lots of cacodemons, and an old school cyberdemon fight is always cool, but the rest just seemed a bit lazy.

Bottom line: a series of arenas, some more meh than others

@Waltor

idgames download page

I guess I found myself a little disappointed that this was still totally Knee-Deep in the Dead style when I thought the end of M3 was hinting at a transition to Shores of Hell. I do think these maps are long enough that players could lose interest in the same style for a full episode, but there’s still time to change things up, and even if it doesn’t happen, this is a tried and true style that people enjoy. Plus the nonlinearity/exploration factor gives the maps a sense of freedom that might alleviate what could become a little boredom. In this map I enjoyed the encounters – easy, but fun. I do think the plasma gun secret is practically necessary to avoid some grind later on, but it is an easy secret.

Bottom line: Rinse and repeat: nonlinear E1 fun

Hi again, another work that not so much tested in this forum i think. Try to play it on HMP, cuz on UV. . . you'll die. Also don't forget about ending-map (it's a short one)

Thanks and Happy New Year 🎉

@HAK3180 Thanks for playing For The Love Of DOOM! It's great watching you gun through it and I appreciate all the comments.

While it's true that the lighting is on the bright side, the game looks unusually bright in gzDoom's default settings. Personally I use software sector lighting and no texture filtering. It makes the lighting look so much nicer. I never realized that it could look so different to others. I should go and fix that one day.

You got to E1M4. You will leave tech bases behind, soon ;)

@Perdition666

Doomworld forum topic

This map is obviously inspired by Deimos Anomaly and that map only. It has the stone, the teleporters, the secret plasma gun, cacodemons, etc. I felt the map was a little bit bare, not in terms of appearance since it’s a 93 tribute, but in content. Just one secret (does that ever happen in a Doom map?) and not really a lot of exploration or optional areas render this a noticeable cut below the original, but we shall see.

Bottom line: slightly stripped down classic Doom

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Doomworld forum topic

Well, well, well. This map kinda went downhill for me. First impression is it’s beautiful. Then you get to the action and the beginning is great – monsters in every direction, windows, paths – lots of fun. Then the elements of progression happen, and they almost never make sense. The first thing you have to do is lower some bars via a switch that is pretty well hidden and would definitely make you think you found a secret. Then you hit a switch and have no idea what it does, only to realize that it makes accessible a previously inaccessible switch all the way across the map, a switch that I only ever saw when I cheated for lights. Then you go all the way back to where you just were, and on and on the progression goes like that. To get the red key you have to hit a gargoyle face (or satyr?) that is entirely indistinct from the others in the same room. It’s the kind of the thing that is normally a beginner mapper’s bad secret hint, but it was mandatory progression. So the beauty of the map and the fun of the intro is definitely weighed down by confusion. I’d be a lot happier after this thing if I never had to play it for the first time.

Bottom line: Beautiful map, mostly fun, but egregiously poor progression elements

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Doomworld forum topic

Well, well, well. This map kinda went downhill for me. First impression is it’s beautiful. Then you get to the action and the beginning is great – monsters in every direction, windows, paths – lots of fun. Then the elements of progression happen, and they almost never make sense. The first thing you have to do is lower some bars via a switch that is pretty well hidden and would definitely make you think you found a secret. Then you hit a switch and have no idea what it does, only to realize that it makes accessible a previously inaccessible switch all the way across the map, a switch that I only ever saw when I cheated for lights. Then you go all the way back to where you just were, and on and on the progression goes like that. To get the red key you have to hit a gargoyle face (or satyr?) that is entirely indistinct from the others in the same room. It’s the kind of the thing that is normally a beginner mapper’s bad secret hint, but it was mandatory progression. So the beauty of the map and the fun of the intro is definitely weighed down by confusion. I’d be a lot happier after this thing if I never had to play it for the first time.

Bottom line: Beautiful map, mostly fun, but egregiously poor progression elements

Thanks for the criticism! Yes, I assumed that this would happen, so I wrote in the description that there would be some problems in progression. Sadly that you did not see the ending-map after the main map, it seems because of the terrible impression of the map. I think 2 days will not be an excuse for such a lazy gameplay made, but thanks for the fair comments -  I will accept this in future, since I always had a wierd representation about gameplay for the whole time of mapping. I am glad that you liked something in this wad, but it is better for me to leave it as a good experience working with the editor for a small amount of time.

P.S: If you want more “fun” from the map, then try to beat it on the UV. This will be more unfair than switch-hunting and annoying chaingunners.

@Waltor

idgames download page

Another map with lots of paths and some optional stuff. This one is a little more tricky if you play it a bit reckless and again doesn’t have much health, but I enjoyed a lot of the combat and the exploration. As usual, it’s a little bland looking; it might be more noticeable in this level since it doesn’t seem to be as much a nod to ’93 Doom.

Bottom line: A little bit more character in this one but mostly more of the same

Edited by HAK3180 : wrong download link

@Waltor

idgames download page

The aesthetic here is more of a hybrid between E1 and E2 so the map, being somewhat distinct visually, loses some of that old school charm/nostalgia. It also has some rather large spaces for some arena fights and stuff, so it does seem modernized in some regards, for better or for worse. I’d still like to see a little more health encourage a more aggressive and more fun play style.

Bottom line: This one feels less cohesive than some of the others

Edited by HAK3180 : wrong download link

15 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@MAN_WITH_GUN, I forgot to mention I did look at Map 02; I just stopped recording before I remembered about it.

Oh, ok. Nevermind actually, it's just huge cave place with some text, only special is secret ending in this map, so you can check this out without recording.

HAK, I have another episode finished, I'd love to hear your comments on it, maps 01-09 for doom2, should run on crispy

aterfier09.zip

EDIT: episode name.. "ater fieri"

Edited by nicolas monti

@some guy who made a wad

download the .zip

It’s pretty simple and straightforward. The blur artifact is a somewhat interesting feature, but it’s just not very exciting to kill all these meaty enemies with the super shotgun in a linear, vanilla looking space.

Bottom line: quick and grindy – more fun to try to speedrun

Got some more Interception 2 maps i'd like feedback on. The maps in question are map 25 by Jading Tsunami and map 31 by me. The names are "The Sad Kingdom" for map 25 and "Cargo Cult" for map 31. Ignore the CWILV names on the intermission screen as those are not updated yet. Thanks again.

Interception 2 Alpha

@Waltor

idgames download page

This one is mostly E4-inspired in appearance, though not as brutal. I like the secrets. I like the connections and different paths. I enjoyed the combat for the most part except when first entering the building. Most of these maps have a very basic gameplay charm; the identifying feature is definitely the layouts themselves.

Bottom line: Much like the first several levels, but E4-looking