• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@Waltor

idgames download page

Kind of an odd finale when all is said and done. You get to a point where you have to face many barons with shotgun, chanigun, and rockets (no launcher). I think almost everyone at that point will go back and search for and eventually find all the secrets, including a BFG and an overly generous supply of ammo that makes the rest of the map trivial.

Bottom line: Decent idea but not great execution

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

I like that the interesting secrets from 60 Secrets are again a part of the wad (so far). I like the layout as always. Visually, this has more hellish elements than what I can remember seeing from this mapper, but the whole thing still works together. I’m interested in the light/dark motif, if that should be kinda the main theme of the episode.

Bottom line: Monti is back!

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

The theme suggested by the title is well done – sort of a Greco-Roman E3M6. It’s pretty much a sandbox, and even allows you to choose the order of two big fights. The darkness motif returns briefly in a well-orchestrated fight against spectres, a pain elemental, hell nobles, and time. I’d say there’s one major signature battle here: the battle for the yellow key. The colosseum fight is more gimmicky and much less substantial. I got lost twice. Both times I thought minor changes could help, but I don't blame the map too much.

Bottom line: Really fun ancient city style map

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

I didn’t really realize until after I played it, but this map wasn’t very hellish and didn’t have much darkness. It almost feels like it would fit better in another Monti package than this wad, but then again, we’re only just getting into it, so what the identity will truly be remains to be seen to some extent. Anyway, it’s standard Monti affair: lots of paths and cleverly connected progression, but this time with a somewhat Limbo-esque twist: damaging floor and suits everywhere. I had no problems with progression or combat. I thought the number of rockets might be a bit high.

Bottom line: This one seemed less like the first two and more like Mass Extinction or something else, but still lots of fun

32 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I didn’t really realize until after I played it, but this map wasn’t very hellish and didn’t have much darkness. It almost feels like it would fit better in another Monti package than this wad, but then again, we’re only just getting into it, so what the identity will truly be remains to be seen to some extent. Anyway, it’s standard Monti affair: lots of paths and cleverly connected progression, but this time with a somewhat Limbo-esque twist: damaging floor and suits everywhere. I had no problems with progression or combat. I thought the number of rockets might be a bit high.

Bottom line: This one seemed less like the first two and more like Mass Extinction or something else, but still lots of fun

Great summary. I beat the first five maps and it certainly doesn't feel like a hell episode. Some parts are unmistakably E2 to me. Great gameplay and map layouts as usual though. Except the secrets are even harded to find haha

I think the best I've exited with so far is 5 or something. Not great.

EDIT: As far as RL ammo is concerned, all Monti mapsets from Mano Laikas and onwards have been centered around that. Use BFG/plasma gun for cramped encounters + vs Cybs and Masterminds, RL against upper-tier mobs and ssg/chaingun everything else. Works for me.

Edited by Firedust

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

I like that the interesting secrets from 60 Secrets are again a part of the wad (so far). I like the layout as always. Visually, this has more hellish elements than what I can remember seeing from this mapper, but the whole thing still works together. I’m interested in the light/dark motif, if that should be kinda the main theme of the episode.

Bottom line: Monti is back!

Nice to hear your comments, some things I want to say about this project.

All maps except map07 and map08 were done before "mass extinction" that means just a bit of less experience I guess.

Now on this map, I noticed the strange behaviour when you tried to open a secret in the north area, that wall used "s1 lower to highest floor" which was a legitimate choice but I had to change it to "s1 lower to lowest" because that weird result in crispy and prboom.

I tend not to judge my own work but I pretty much like this small level.

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

The theme suggested by the title is well done – sort of a Greco-Roman E3M6. It’s pretty much a sandbox, and even allows you to choose the order of two big fights. The darkness motif returns briefly in a well-orchestrated fight against spectres, a pain elemental, hell nobles, and time. I’d say there’s one major signature battle here: the battle for the yellow key. The colosseum fight is more gimmicky and much less substantial. I got lost twice. Both times I thought minor changes could help, but I don't blame the map too much.

Bottom line: Really fun ancient city style map

Not much to say about this one other that I wanted to make the ancient theme stuff since I love the ancient greek and roman cultures, it has the colosseum, the aqueduct, the theater, the parthenon-like temple and even that small labyrinth, I'll see if I add some roamers there as you suggest.

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

This one... this one started all (the concept of the episode), it was done in 2017, almost two years before the others except for map09.

It is markedly different, you can even notice the big size of the rooms and the more slow paced gameplay. I thought about tweaking it a bit for the release, making it more similar to the rest but I'll keep it as it is (nostalgia) except for rebalancing the ammo, I already cut out 40 rockets.

As a corolary its name means "dream" in greek and it was mostly inspired by a dream I had featuring this map.

Edited by nicolas monti

I'm new to mapping, but not new to playing Doom. I'm currently working on a Doom 2 Megawad. I have 3 out of my 14 Maps created. GZDoom is the source port to be used. Here's a link to the thread. I'd much appreciate some feedback before I get too much further into making more maps. Thank you for your time.

I would like some feedbacks on my recent wad, can you try it ?

These are vanilla compatible speedmaps for Plutonia, ranging from easy to hard.

@DerFurer'sFace

Doomworld forum topic (project)

This map had a lot going on. I enjoyed how varied some of the encounters were, even if I didn’t really care for the square descending darkness/fire arena. I did enjoy the initial cavern, the very ending, the rising and lowering maze with revenants, and much of the more incidental stuff. I thought the secrets in this map were too rewarding. This seems like a map were finding all of them will make you invincible and finding none of them will make you a sitting duck. I think Doom works better when that spectrum is compressed considerably or when the secrets aren't so reward-centered in general.

Bottom line: Maybe some balance and visual cohesion issues but a fun map with some nice variety

@Waltor

idgames download page

Oh, man. The question that I kept thinking was “When will this end?” The nonlinearity is too extreme here. It’s a massive map that almost never points you toward an objective. Every path you take forks into many other paths, the vast majority of which are nonessential, but you never really know where you’re trying to get and the combat isn’t good enough to keep you entertained, nor is the scenery. The only thing this might be good for is a massive deathmatch layout, as the level of connectivity per se is admirable.

Bottom line: a pretty good example of why it's a good idea to wait until you have more mapping experience before tackling a massive map

@DerFurer'sFace

Doomworld forum topic (project)

I’ll start with the bad: it’s possible I did a sequence break since I seemed to bypass one of the yellow doors and it does not appear to be openable from the side I would have first opened it. Also, I thought the ending part was a great idea but may have gone on a bit too long. Other than that this was excellent. The city aspect was great, the action was lots of fun. It’s a beautiful map and conceptually thematic all the way through.

Bottom line: High quality and just distinct enough for a secret slot

@HAK3180 Thanks again for playing these maps, really helps since (as you saw) there are a few map errors I either did not foresee or in the case of the map skip and passable walls, noticed and promptly forgot to address/fix. I like to fix small errors as I watch your playthrough so it helps, thanks again.

Just to let you know "ater fieri" is being daily updated, @skepticist is helping me to clean up the bugs and with some ammo balance stuff, so I recommend downloading the file again everytime before recording a new map!

Muk Maze

MAP02 "MUK MAZE"
Complevel 9

Prboom-plus tested

There's some dehacked work and it's quite a trial and error challenge map.  Will definitely need feedback on weapon and enemy balance.  If you need a video reference if you get lost/confused just let me know.

You could also give map01 a shot as a test/practice level before MAP02.

Edited by Mr. LBN

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Well, we get more brutality; that’s for sure. I really like the progression here. The whole thing feels moderately Sigil-esque with a decent number of switches that alter scenery and the ubiquitous damaging floor that cannot always be avoided. I thought the fights were all good and fun. There’s constant danger, be it from the cyberdemons before you have the ammo to kill them / before you an get close enough to BFG them, from the revenants who you have little choice but to leave alive longer than you would like, from the handful of hitscanners ready to chip away at your health,  from the damaging floor, or from the actual on hand encounters you have to deal with.

Bottom line: If Nicolas Monti and Romero et al. (E4) and Romero (Sigil) had a child, it would be this.

@Pierrot

Doomworld forum topic

Bottom line: These are solid short maps with Plutonia influence. The first three are very basic and pretty much center on one encounter. 15 and 16 have more meat to them. Overall these do a nice job of packing a punch and being well polished for speedmaps.

@ChaosDrop (I didn't know a fourth was done. Mention me in your thread as you post updates or keep posting here if you want me to continue)

Doomworld forum topic

Hey, this isn’t bad for a first mapping attempt. Nothing is overdone. Everything works as intended. I especially like the attention to the progression and flow of the map. First timers will often give you a linear experience where the parts of the maps are connected by nothing at all except a 128-wide door. Here we get a nice sense of the progression and layout, yet it throws a few wrinkles at you.

Bottom line: good awareness of level flow – simple, serviceable opener

@ChaosDrop

Doomworld forum topic

This is another quick and simple map. But Chaos Drop seems to be pretty good at making those. It’s not hard. It’s not gorgeous. It’s not innovative. It’s not expert. But it’s a good, conventional layout with nothing to fault on an “objective” level.

Bottom line: Similar to Map 01 with probably some better detailing

@ChaosDrop

Doomworld forum topic

The space in this map is not bad at all: not too much and not too little. There are also a couple environmental hazards to avoid and a small stretch of darkness. I don’t think the layout is as good here with a fairly significant backtrack, a superfluous blue key, and not much point in the yellow key.

Bottom line: Still pretty short, basic Doom

@OfficalKiller, I don't take myself too seriously, but I do value my time. Based on map titles and screenshots, I decline. I'm more interested in conventional-leaning maps.

@Mr. LBN

download the .wad

I do like the layout. It’s a little monotnonous but there’s a lot to explore and a lot of little objectives. I hate the action. I’m usually not at all interested in such major deviations from core Doom combat. Almost no monster resembles an original Doom monster. They seem overpowered to me, given that the equipment has not gotten much of a facelift. I’m never going to like this, but I think for others to like it the monsters’ abilities need to be reconsidered.

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Lots of teleporters in this one. Sometimes that can spell not much thematic unity, but not here. You always get to watch the switch build part of your staircase. The teleporters are almost always two-way. And you do reuse several areas, so I think the cohesion is fine. This map seems more mental challenge than physical challenge, if you will. The difficulty itself feels more like a puzzle.

Bottom line: nice atmosphere, well put together

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

This is a different concept. A solid principle of nonlinear maps is making sure there are multiple weapon pickups. This map gives you one of each weapon and not a lot of ammo. The progress points have lots of monsters that you probably can’t kill without doing some exploring for stuff, but beware while you’re exploring because imps are roaming in the dark, and you can’t spend too much ammo or health on them either. I think it works. You may have to figure out what’s going on before you enjoy it but it’s a slow-paced buildup of arsenal kind of map.

Bottom line: Kind of an acquired taste on this one. It may be frustrating at first but most should come to appreciate it

@ChaosDrop

Doomworld forum topic

This is still some pretty plain Jane Doom, which is fine, but this is a new mapper presumably looking to improve, and we’ve seen basically the same thing for four maps now. What would happen if ChaosDrop tries to incorporate some of the “weirder” line specials or tries a more specific setpiece or a slightly larger or more difficult map?

Bottom line: I think an incline in difficulty is in order, as well as a little outside the box effort

With a new map just created, I might post what I have made so far. 

Map 1 - At Home.rar

Map_5_-_Control_Center.rar

Map 9 - Homerun (Second Edition).rar

Map 15 - The Monastery.rar

Map 16 - Hexadeca.rar

Map 32 - The Black Sheep.rar

Project is unnamed, but I am thinking of To The Rescue so far. Thread where I post the new maps now: 

The ultimate plan is 32 maps, but like I said, I'm posting them one by one to see if there are flaws and things to correct. Uses music from other games and soon will have skies and intermission screens. Still, the tracks are in OGG format which makes me worried about the compatibility. It aims to be Vanilla, but I have tested with GLBOOM+ only. I have received praises of improved quality, but this is for you to decide. Have fun! 

I have no problem with stuff going public. 

23 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@OfficalKiller, I don't take myself too seriously, but I do value my time. Based on map titles and screenshots, I decline. I'm more interested in conventional-leaning maps.

@HAK3180 ha ha just wanna joke around but here's real one i send this to another "play and record doom wad"guy name @Austinado afew days ago so i want you to try it out this one tottally worth your time

Custom monster and weapons incoming

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/ZT-96

Just saw your last 3 videos of ater fieri

Map04: it was my take on "make a hellish map just with the hellish textures, no techbase here" that's out of my confort zone and I rarely use wood textures, after the big spider things go wild for a moment.

Map05: this one was reserved to be the more techy of the episode, still the atmosphere is quite somber, also the no keys map, like command center

Map06: the experimental one, I tried to make a forest, the trees use the pipe texture, it's tight on ammo but as you said you have to explore, you missed 100 cells in the only corner unexplored, close to the soulsphere from outside. Fortunately the berserk is not hard to find. In the latest version a little more ammo was added just in case. You surely can avoid the cyber but the penalty is him being teleported to the center of the forest. Also no exit signs so I'll add some.

@Pierrot

Doomworld forum topic

Bottom line: we continue with the real meat of the wad. These maps are short, but they definitely have attitude and they definitely have character. I think the little gimmicks work out pretty well, distinguishing each map. My favorites are probably 16 and 19.