Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@NaturalTvventy

(I may or may not play E2. That will depend on how much time / the quantity of other requests.)

idgames download page

I like how this episode goes all over the place. The overall mapping style is cohesive, but you get tech, hell, urban-eqsue, and more. There were probably too many secrets with weapons for my liking, so I started playing continuous eventually, but it managed to stay fairly engaging throughout. Tastes and standards change over time, so say what you will in 2020, but this is certainly adequate for its time.

Bottom line: Not a bad episode that hides the weaknesses of Doom 1 fairly well.

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Well, what do you expect? It’s unique, it’s memorable, and it’s fun. This map has no keys, and I thought the sense of progression might have suffered a little bit, although I like the idea. I just didn’t really know what I was striving for, so it was almost more like a long linear map where suddenly you’re at the end. Except it was very nonlinear and integrated. It worked out in the end, so I’m not upset about it; not every map needs to make sense immediately. Some of them like to play mental games...against thee...wickedly. I did think the damaging floor was a little unfortunate, just in that it was unexpected and hard to notice in the heat of humans all over the place firing at you.

Bottom line: mostly typical Monti, and that’s a good thing

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Very enjoyable. I think this was a collector style map where you could get the keys in any order, but the three paths were not just three doors off a hub. It was all very intricate and organic and a lot of fun. I thought weaponry was pretty well distributed, though Monti tends to be heavy on rockets and light on shells. There was good variety in the fighting and as usual, a unique visual experience.

Bottom line: a fun non-puzzle map that you nevertheless solve

27 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

I did think the damaging floor was a little unfortunate, just in that it was unexpected and hard to notice in the heat of humans all over the place firing at you.

Damage through the whole wad IMO should be cut to 5 for railtrack and 10 for lava unless intended as a deathtrap or needed for blinking light.

13 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

Damage through the whole wad IMO should be cut to 5 for railtrack and 10 for lava unless intended as a deathtrap or needed for blinking light.

It's a good idea, for the tracks, enough to make you be careful but without killing you by surprise, I'll change that for the next revision.

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Doomworld forum topic

Very nice city appearance, and I especially like how the layout complements the gameplay so well, especially early. I think a few areas are a bit infight heavy, but the action mostly works fine. I have two bigger issues with this map. The first is the plasma gun. The only one is in a secret. I don’t think weapons in secrets are the end of the world if one of the following is true (1) that weapon is available in a nonsecret area later or (2) there’s not much ammo available for that weapon. This map’s secret is a plasma gun, but there’s also a bunch of plasma ammo throughout the map that you obviously cannot use unless you get the gun, which is only available in a secret. To me, that makes the secret too much of a game changer. My other issue is a more minor progression issue. You do see the yellow key early, but it’s so early, it’s very easy to forget about it by the time it’s available. There’s no telling what the switch that opens it does. You just have to think, “Maybe that opened the yellow key way back toward the beginning.” I’d like to see more visual cues to remind the player to head back that way.

Bottom line: fun, creepy city with some significant but easily addressable issues

Thanks for the feedback again! I'm glad that you liked this speedmap much more than the previous one, it's not surprising, because I spent more time on it.

About the plasma gun secret: Yes, this greatly simplifies the gameplay and I agree that I gave too many ammo not only for plasma, but also for the rest of the weapons in the end, without giving more monsters for shoot - This is my fault, in speedmapping I noticed this only in the end.

About the 'visual cues': I knew you'll mention it and even so, I still agree with that. But. . . I don’t know why you didn’t notice this.

Spoiler

1.png.5a88f41f8234b0ba2bc8d6221173a0d3.png

I mean this is a kind of cues, even if it is only in one texture. But yes, I admit that there isn’t much difference, because I didn’t have much time to plan the progression. Also, I don't think that many players would notice this.

Perhaps after you pressed the switch and killed the hellknight's - there will be a teleport behind them, which could send you to a place near the location you need, that will be helpful.

In any case, thanks for the criticism, and also for the playing of course. Your advice is really good for my wads. My respect.

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Well, what do you expect? It’s unique, it’s memorable, and it’s fun. This map has no keys, and I thought the sense of progression might have suffered a little bit, although I like the idea. I just didn’t really know what I was striving for, so it was almost more like a long linear map where suddenly you’re at the end. Except it was very nonlinear and integrated. It worked out in the end, so I’m not upset about it; not every map needs to make sense immediately. Some of them like to play mental games...against thee...wickedly. I did think the damaging floor was a little unfortunate, just in that it was unexpected and hard to notice in the heat of humans all over the place firing at you.

Bottom line: mostly typical Monti, and that’s a good thing

Just saw it, nice played.

I'll mark those damaging tracks, I even have the nice voltage texture, it was my fault I just forgot.

About the chapel fight the second time you enter the opposite way it should be closed again to prevent camping, I thought about it and tested but it didn't happen when you played so I'll figure out what happened and fix!

The progression is that you have to go all the way around in both directions to switch-open the elevator bars, those are double bars but I understand is a strange kind of map!

3 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Do our maps need to be... finished?

Not necessarily. But a decent explanation as to when I should quit or where the map is "broken" would be very helpful.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:17 PM, MAN_WITH_GUN said:

I mean this is a kind of cues, even if it is only in one texture. But yes, I admit that there isn’t much difference, because I didn’t have much time to plan the progression. Also, I don't think that many players would notice this.

Perhaps after you pressed the switch and killed the hellknight's - there will be a teleport behind them, which could send you to a place near the location you need, that will be helpful.

Yes, that is decent marking that I just didn't notice. Better yet might be to raise up the pillars in the hell knight room to signal exactly what happens elsewhere. I think a teleport could work but it might feel too forced.

@Bidoof Slayer

Doomworld forum topic

I definitely preferred Maps 03 and 06. Overall the wad lacks polish in visuals and entertaining monster encounters, but several of the maps have solid progressions and good ideas. One over-arching theme is that spacing is off. A lot of it is two extremes: very narrow hallways or massive areas. Both can work, but neither is set up particularly well in most cases. Hallway combat cannot just be turn corner, shoot monster, back up as needed. And huge areas in Doom require careful positioning of geometry, intentional monster selection, and often a bigger population than what was seen here.

Bottom line: I think this is a good mapping learning experience

Okay, usually give a link to a post with a wad for a request, but this time it will be different.

Like the Austinado, I participated in the Pandemonium Speed Mapping Event, the first time I participate in this forum. For your convenience, I combined the wad with the texture pack.

Here's the map info:

Map Name: Cyber-Panic

Author: Man With a Gun (or MWG)

Music: James Paddock - Brutal Schism

Sky: Custom.
Port Designed For/ Tested: Boom (complevel 9)

Gimmicks attempted: 25 monsters / Exit visible from the start / ID level re-imagine / Minimum 100 Barrels

Time: 8 hrs.

Author Comments: This is a challenge-map, here I didn't actually mapping so hard just because by that time I was already a little tired of speedmapping's, but I hope you like this map too.

The map has a harsh balance and often you will be pursued by enemies.

Playthrough will take about 15 or even 20 minutes, depending on your skills.

Good luck!

Download: CP.zip

Screenshot:

Begin.png.a2960ad7eb7fd23a9388999fff98a13e.png

The latest; Belly158  Music track by rdwpa

Doom 2, limit-removing, requires cc4-tex.wad, and plays on Map12. One of these days I'll start baking the textures in, but for now I'm still lazy. :D

I hope you and yours are doing well during this pandemic. 

It seems like forever since I last requested your services, and it's been pretty close to that. ;D  Just so much crap to deal with IRL which keeps me away from Doom.

I make no explanations or apologies for the dumbass working title of this map. It will be changed prior to release. ;)

Sizewise, it's about medium, with a typically high Steve D monster count. Difficulty settings implemented.

And there's more where this came from. ;)

Edited by Steve D

my entry for Parallel Doomensions!

I believe the resource pack on the OP is up to date, if it is not, contact me and I will send it to you directly. Thanks!

Assuming you haven't played my Chain Reaction map already, I recommend playing it on HMP, it's probably my hardest map yet and UV has proven pretty difficult for some players (it is doable though).

In the meantime, I have another request for you (this one is easier and fine to play on UV). It's also from the Pandemonium Speedmapping Event, the same event that Austinado and MAN_WITH_GUN already requested a map for you to play from. It's a puzzle map and my first time really going for puzzles as a gimmick hence I'm keen to get as many opinions as possible. Each puzzle has its logic ;) Details below:

Map Name: Portal to Puzzle Hell
IWAD: MAP01 of Doom II
Music: Upshot by Jimmy
Source ports: Either GZDoom or prBoom+ (cl9). If you choose the latter, the level name will show as Entryway and one computer terminal texture won't animate. Functionally though both maps are the same.

Gimmicks: Exit visible from start, Ode to Fireblu, Integration of puzzle element

portaltopuzzlehell.zip

hey @HAK3180 how is it goin!!!

So i m finally done with my second (undeserved) degree and i'm finally back to mapping. I've been working on 2 maps these days and to basically give a proper order to the Happy wad, right now 8 maps are completed, but you already played six of them. I added the opener and map2, i would be really glad to see you playing them! Please note then when i started mapping again i completely forgot how to do it, hopefully there won't be too many problems. Please let me know if you want the link. I will soon open a new thread cause i can work on them properly right now. Thanks as usual!

Hey @HAK3180 justo finished my latest map and i would like you to play it. More info con the thread i opened:

Thanks in avance!

@HAK3180

Here is the compilation of the Pandemonium speed mapping event, it includes the maps of @MAN_WITH_GUN , @Austinado, @Horus, as well as myself and 11 other mappers. There are 15 levels, the longest are in the range of 20-30 mins, but only a few are like that, most are the 5-15 minute range.

Port: Gzdoom or Mapinfo Compatible.

If you want to play it i would watch and love it, i am certain all the mappers who participated would love it too.

Obviously no pressure, but its here if you are feeling it.

The wad is downloadable in the topic post :)

Edited by Steve88

@Soulless

download the .wad

This map had some progression oddities, but overall it unfolded in an interesting way. It’s a nice looking map that just needs some work on lighting. The fighting is mixed. Some sections are fun and engaging. Others are highly skippable and/or feel too packaged.

Bottom line: mostly cool layout with slightly under par gameplay

@Clippy

Doomworld forum topic

I applaud the effort to do something different, but a lot of the oddities are not thoroughly thought through, so that there are some potentially frustrating, almost soft-locking moments. It seems the massive geometry was drawn and then all the progression and combat was added in. As such, a lot of the encounters don’t feel like they necessarily belong in this particular space.           

Bottom line: oversized and doesn’t always make sense

Thanks for the feedback! I really not sure how to make good outdoor light changes, so yeah, it feels a bit odd, but really wanted to play with horizon lines etc.

@Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur (In my haste, I misunderstood this to be five maps already. I would have spent a little more time on it if I had known it was just the one)

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a cool, semi-puzzle layout and a solid medieval feel, but it’s enough of a conversion project for me to say no way. I’m here to play Doom, and this is hardly Doom at all. I’m also not sure about the balance here. I got tired of it and put on God mode, but I was still knifing almost everything.

Bottom line: I’m never going to like this, but someone else might

@Pechudin

Doomworld forum topic

This is well done for a first map. There are few, if any, hallmarks of amateurism. Pechudin definitely played a ton of Doom and/or messed around with the editor for quite a while before releasing this. Visually, it’s classic and clean – hardly noticeable, in a good way. The progression makes sense and gives many hints as to what will happen. The combat plays to Doom 1’s strengths fairly well. It’s not too much grind, but it’s also not too much tightness.

Bottom line: I’d play and enjoy a Doom 1 megawad at this mapping skill level

Thanks @HAK3180

I left a comment on your video

I think you might like my other map much more. It's actually got the best reception of all the maps I made and it's not zany

Please give it a try here it is I don't know how to link it better than this

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/114025-im-back-already-with-a-new-vanilla-flavoured-doom-2-map-glistening-gas-leak/

@HAK3180 As always, thanks for playing! Glad you liked it, and I'm also glad I requested you to play it on HMP lol (probably the biggest difference is that UV removes that little cubby hole you used to hide in the barrel crusher maze, meaning you have to execute the whole thing in one go).

The 'try and die' approach that a couple of traps have is a fair point, probably the other example you were trying to recall was the barrel crusher maze, not much I can do here though other than perhaps indicating where the shoot switches are better and/or placing them where they are easier for the player to see.

You punching the barrels and dropping off the ledge was not the intended strategy, but I do not think it is cheap, if anything it is the more difficult approach because you have to repeat the entire crusher section doing it that way.

The pillar in the single cyber area does look >24 units high, no need for it to be like that so I'll fix that for sure.

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

This is a clear hub+3, but it still retains the feelings of intricacies of Monti’s style. I thought supplies were noticeably down early. It could have been that I chose the worst path to do first because it wasn’t too extreme, but it was noticeable. I thought this map did a good job of variety among the three sections, but I wasn’t too keen on the same trap essentially four times – closed in tight room + monsters in your face. That happened with hell knights right away, then with cacodemons, then with revenants, then with a single baron. Then the ending. My goodness. I didn’t think it was cheap or badly designed. But it’s so much harder than anything in this map or this entire wad that it didn’t seem to fit here. It seems a simple addition of a megasphere or two and/or 2-3 more BFG shots would go a long way toward a more suitable challenge, but then again, it is the final boss fight.

Bottom line: tough finale but fun level

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

*Review*

Oh wow, I forgot I posted it here! Thanks for playing it. Funnily enough, a couple of days ago my little brother played it again and we managed to find a couple more ways to break the level progression. For the map being 'peacemeal', yeah I basically made the map linearly, making the second room once the first one was finished, so the connection is mostly straightfoward (basically there is one fork in the map, do you go for the YK or the BK). That's why I made those small windows, to at least give some illusion of interconnection. As for 'Shores of Hell' feel, that was my intent as it was made after I played some 1994 E2 replacement WADs.

In both the crate room and the BK fight you are stuck in the rooms, in the BK room the floor outside the room falls into lava, but the switch opposite the BK rises it up (maybe I should've communicated that better). In the crate room the monster closet switch lowers back the crates that block you in the room. I tried to put in some more incidental combat without making it all lock-in traps, but it's kind of hard to make the traps un-cheesable without blocking some escape routes or putting Barons in the way heh. I guess I'll learn.

One more edit I suppose, I used DooM 1 because I like DooM 1 resources better. I guess I could always import them via SLADE into a DooM 2 map. Also, I like the lack of the SSG because Pinkies, Cacos and the rest of the Old Guard become more dangerous, especially combined with tight quarters.

Edited by Pechudin