Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

@Kain D. (It's worth noting that I played this on Ultra-Violence by mistake)

Doomworld forum topic

Every map is something a bit different, and that’s an admirable feature in a mapset, even while it often means partial appeal to many. I liked the setup here: the big crate maze with its various sections and blood trails to make a maze of multiple keys. I only found the progression near the very beginning annoying. But this map became unplayably frustrating when it became clear that it simply wasn’t going to offer me any decent weaponry. I am not going to shotgun and chaingun multiple hell nobles, cacodemons, and revenants. I’d really rather not chaingun huge imp masses either. I can understand it coming up occasionally because ammo is short or I took an unexpected path, but I just never found a better weapon. I don’t want to hunt secrets just to prevent the map’s pace from all but stopping. This wad’s intrigue is in the layouts and the puzzle elements; it doesn’t have to be hard to be fun. But even if it wants to be hard, it can do so in much more fun ways than stacking meaty monsters against am E1M2-equipped Doomguy. 

Bottom line: I liked the adventure, hated the combat

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

It’s not necessarily the end of the world that I don’t always want to engage in the fights. The task-oriented nature of the map was sufficient to keep my attention. I’d like a few more meaningful encounters, but as long as I have the means to kill what’s there and the ability to run if it’s too boring or I’m too focused on the objectives, I’m okay with it. I do think something could be done to prevent the amount of backtracking I did, but overall, this is another intriguing layout that makes a lot of progressive sense, even while it’s bizarre.

Bottom line: Another trippy adventure with adequate supplies this time

17 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Table of Contents

@Clippy, I'm glad to take a look before or after proper release. You may also find this thread useful.

Thanks friend I'm starting to have a look at your vids here

Say do you go in blind or do you give yourself a few test runs?

My level has a challenging start and there's a bit of a learning curve / strategy to start out before it becomes a normal level

If you record your first attempt you may die a bunch before you get it

Just wondering what your modus operandi is 

PS I'll say again I'm so glad to find your thread - my biggest reward of making a map is seeing someone else play it

@Clippy

"FDA" is "first demo attempt," so I almost always go in blind. It's a win-win because it's less effort for me (I only have to play the map "once") and very valuable to the mapper. First impressions are big because 2020 Doom is so extensive that you are not at all guaranteed multiple playthroughs. A lot of people play the map(s) once and then move on to the next thing, for better and for worse. Some people play until they get bored or mad and then never touch the wad again, even if they only got halfway through Map 01 of a full megawad. 

I do save (a lot in a longer and/or harder level). I cheat if I have to or to keep the pace of the video going. At the end of the day, I just try to showcase what the map has to offer.

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

Really cool beginning. Some of these maps are extremely large and don’t really utilize all that space. All the time I spend running could be cut down if some of these areas were simply shrunk down, and it might even encourage engaging more of the encounters. This map had some frustrating moments and some interesting ones and a little bit of a TNT vibe.

Bottom line: I think we’ve established the personality of this wad, and knowing that is very liberating.

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

By now we have solidified that this is a whole different style of Doom than most of the “mainstream” genres. I think it would be extremely not fun to try to max most of these maps. Rather, it’s about solving the little puzzle of the progression and killing what you need to kill. There’s enough space that the monsters aren’t really going to block your path, although I think some parts are too big and a nice change of pace would be some good old fashioned lock-in setpieces. Visually, some parts are a bit crude, but the theme is sold fairly well.

Bottom line: just keep moving and pressing switches

@galileo31dos01

Doomworld forum topic (project)

This map kinda builds its way up into high-density legitimate slaughter. But even though there are steps to go there, I think there are a couple major leaps at the end. The gameplay is pretty conventional for the first half or more, but then are two extreme horde-style slaughter fights at the end. It felt a bit deus ex machina to me, like it wasn’t really true to the rest of the map. It didn’t help that I didn’t like those fights very much, especially the very last, which was so very unlike anything in any part of the map, yea, the wad, so far. But all that aside, I found the layout and the appearance very enjoyable. Visuals were not overdone – just a consistent and thematic use of textures made complete by good geometry and architecture. I don’t think Galileo will ever be a mapper who creates things that especially interest me personally (because I'm boring), but there’s still a level of mapping savvy that you have to appreciate.

Bottom line: a really intelligent layout that got way too spammy for me toward the end

Here it is : http://www.levelgame.net/doom/BB.wad

Ok I think I'm calling it done after testing it over and over

I think it's quite challenging for a more advanced player - def helps to have a strategy get a feel for the map. As I know it I can beat it in 15 minutes but it may take you much longer

I am excited to see how you deal with this level and to hear your thoughts - please be honest - I may release it fully afterwards unless I want to change something

Map is called Brutal Breakout

Starts off as kinda escape room and builds to something much bigger. 

Synopsis : You wake up after getting too drunk and eating to much Kraft Dinner. Where the hell am I  - I gotta get outta here. Are these MY pants?

image.png.4636cb6e34a8f8cf590697deefabfd18.png

image.png.9996cf49daa96af3f3ed8fa2720c39ba.png

Thanks for playing!

My little feedback to your feedback:

Spoiler

I know the map may not be very friendly on a blind attempt, that's one thing I went for, having multiple options at the start for replay value and then eventually simplifying into linearity with unexpected twists, but usually leading players somehow to where they could or should go to ease their lives. That's what the three teleports do for example, blue yellow and red, they're shortcuts to the skulls.

The blue skull wasn't a secret, you just have to face opposite to the teleport where you'll see the steps around the grey rock and then jump to the key's place, unfortunate that missing the BFG made the finale a chore, but that's because it requires the weapon to play fair and faster, not that without it's impossible. Also, the metal poles were lifts, I may have to change the texture to make it more obvious.

The spawning arachnotrons are there to be skipped until you can spare ammo when you get back for the red skull, and also to keep them constant threats for when you explore the area first and later, reason behind is that I tend not to waste ammo on respawning turrets unless there's no reason to go back to that place.

There're definitely a few oversights here and there, such as lines the computer map shouldn't spoil and couple blatant easy "cheese moves", all things to be fixed later. As far as ammo it's tight on UV on purpose, same as monster-space ratio in general, it's all calculated to favor replay and build routes if you wish to, HMP gives more leeway while the monster usage stays similar in parts, and HNTR tones down the slaughter a lot in general. Either way a smooth blind play on UV is very achievable as long as you are willing to accept the medium or somewhat high difficulty.

The other thing that looks like you missed was to load the alpha wad release, that may be why you had a normal speed shotgun. 

Anyways, much appreciated again, your video is very helpful!

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

I’ve come to expect lots of meaty monsters and very little firepower, so I’m automatically in run first mode in this wad, but I still can’t help but notice how impractical staying to fight would be, and not just impractical, but extremely tedious. There were shells everywhere, so it did seem that the supplies were there to take on the monsters, but I’m  not going to grind through all these monsters. It almost works with all the backtracking: skip them the first time, take a few shots the second and third time, and then clean up the last time. That almost works, but even that would be very grindy. The layout itself is fairly interesting with a springboard mechanic that kind of works. It’s another map that I would enjoy more with no monsters.

Bottom line: Same stuff: interesting puzzle progression best experienced in speed mode

@HAK3180if u haven't already downloaded my map and are still interested I replaced the file in the link. Minor changes. Very minor if you already played it no worries

@Clippy

download the .wad

This definitely has an early-in-mapping feel, but it shows a lot of potential, particularly layout design acumen. The overall progress was clever; it just needed to be guided a bit more – things like marking all switches, more keys or fewer double use keys, etc. Some of the combat was okay, but a lot of it was simplistic or grindy. Honestly, I didn’t really notice the map all that much visually, which is not the worst thing. It was understated but usually did not make extremely bizarre texturing choices or exhibit crudeness in linedef composition.

Bottom line: very nice layout overall but a bit crude and confusing

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Clippy

download the .wad

This definitely has an early-in-mapping feel, but it shows a lot of potential, particularly layout design acumen. The overall progress was clever; it just needed to be guided a bit more – things like marking all switches, more keys or fewer double use keys, etc. Some of the combat was okay, but a lot of it was simplistic or grindy. Honestly, I didn’t really notice the map all that much visually, which is not the worst thing. It was understated but usually did not make extremely bizarre texturing choices or exhibit crudeness in linedef composition.

Bottom line: very nice layout overall but a bit crude and confusing

Thanks so much friend! I felt bad when you forgot about the main yellow door to outside. The plan was you get the yellow key and try to go to it but see red key bars are in your way. Those lower when you press the outside red switch with the invulnerability.

I took your advice and made many minor changes - mostly marking doors better and switches. Also made the exit area box slightly different and added a lift thing to the exit area

No need to play the map again with these minor changes unless bored.

I replaced the download file with what is hopefully the last update

I don't like jumping and crouching either and I always intend to make vanilla maps. I do use freelook tho but it should never be required. Just my preference.

Here is my demo of a version in between the one you played and the now final version - showing all the secrets and what I think is the best strategy if you're interested :)

Again thanks a lot this meant a lot to me. You ok if I mention your vid on my super small channel hah hah

PS I made doom maps many years ago. MANY. I got randomly inspired to make one now that I've been recording myself play on youtube. This map has had the best reception - all my others were horrible horrible things lol

Anyway UV max playthrough here:

PS I will make more levels - I never have a plan going in - for this one I started with the same room you start at and kept adding and adding to it :)

I think I got inspired - I literally threw this together in like a week

I get ideas for how I want the rooms and layouts to work but I always been weak on textures and lighting

@Clippy, best of luck as you continue to make maps. Go ahead and mention the video. As a forum courtesy here, please don't quote videos.

4 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Clippy, best of luck as you continue to make maps. Go ahead and mention the video. As a forum courtesy here, please don't quote videos.

Oops sorry about that

Thanks again for playing 

I'll try to come back with another one. Your feedback will help in my future decision making

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

What a breath of fresh air. In this map some of the weird gimmickry involved combat, yet it was conventional-ish combat instead of grinding mid-tiers with no rockets. To be fair, there were still plenty of mid-tiers and not enough rockets, but there were some rockets and there were fights where chaingun/shotguns only was perfectly suitable. I really enjoyed the human room with arch-viles. I also liked the structure. It seemed that three outer doors would lead more or less straight to the keys, but the inner paths also connected.

Bottom line: One of my favorites in the wad, and it’s mostly because I had a tangible number of rockets

@nicolas monti

Fun map. I like how almost everything in the map is sorta hinted at toward the beginning. You can see everywhere you will go; you just have to get there, and that happens in fun, organic ways. Solid visuals with excellent lighting and challenging gameplay with just enough weapon variety make this another great map with character.

Bottom line: adventurous, atmospheric, and exciting

@xdarkmasterx (looks like you made an edit after you posted here. I often download right away and play later, so make sure to tag me or something if you make an update)

Doomworld forum topic

Well, I couldn’t get it to work properly in anything I tested, but from what I played, it was basic spammy slaughter with a few interesting twists.

huh, that's weird. Those places are supposed to lock you in and open on the other side. Maybe I accidentally saved a broken/test version into my dropbox folder :/ thanks for trying it any way :)

Another 64kb map for you, named Trials, also tested on Crispy/GZDoom, map slot 12, requires 64texpack which is included in the zip file

FYI, this is technically >64KB uncompressed, but I added the MIDI in SLADE for your convenience, when in the final map I will send the two separately.

Trials_v1.zip

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

I’m glad to see that rockets are again present and fairly abundant, so the combat was not horribly grindy. Most of what made me skip encounters in this map was simply the space, which has been true in every map in this wad – they’re huge, and they give Doomguy ample opportunities to flee. Still, I thought this one had a pretty good progression and not even a ton of necessary backtracking.

Bottom line: So far the best balance of showcasing this wad’s style and being somewhat conventional.

@vincent0s

Doomworld forum topic

This is a map that reveals itself gradually, and it works for the most part, though the switches could be closer (or within sight of) what they do sometimes. The map feels empty, but that’s not always a bad thing. It does boast a few solid encounters and a certain uniqueness.

Bottom line: weird and a bit creepy

@vincent0s

Doomworld forum topic

This was a very cool boss map. It seems so simple, but it’s so effective. There’s a good quantity and quality of distraction in the pain elementals. There’s good punishment for imprecise movement in damaging floor plus brief immobility after teleporting. There’s the added element of invisibilities, which can save you while you’re not paying attention but also destroy you when you are. And the weaponry is just fine. Practically unlimited cells but no BFG works here because you’ve got a lot on your mind so that you can’t just get 550 cells off and be done with it. I also really like the unpredictability of the shape of the platform. You have to pay attention to where you’re going.

Bottom line: This is really a top notch boss map