Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Omilab, provide more information.

Look my posts is a hell wad, hard to beat, no mouse look, no corach, no jump , no cheats. Skill levels, play on ITYTD first time

Table of Contents

11 hours ago, Omilab said:

no mouse look, no corach, no jump

Am I supposed to understand this to mean it should be played in GZDoom?

You simply cannot submit a wad to be played without source port information. And that's true anywhere on this forum.

Edited by HAK3180

28 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Am I supposed to understand this to mean it should be played in GZDoom?

You simply cannot submit a wad to be played without source port information. And that's true anywhere on this forum.

GZDOOM or ZANDRONUM, BRUTAL DOOM MODE IF YOU WANT HARDER THANKS

14 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Clippy

download the .wad

The combination of only imps and mostly vast open space made for not very exciting combat most of the time. There were some notable exceptions, but I hardly ever wanted to kill imps. It was tedious and grindy, so I often opted to skip the fights and get on with the map. I like the concept of the progression though. It’s not always intuitive, but the map reveals itself/changes in fun ways to give you little aha moments as you work your way toward the exit.

Bottom line: Progression is exciting; combat is not

Thanks so much for the feedback friend - there is nothing I feel like changing and am much happier with this one than Brutal Breakout

PS if you are interested in revisiting or wanted to know more about secrets / super shotgun here is my full max playthrough: CLICK HERE

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This mapper usually does a fine job on the layouts, and this was no exception, though it didn’t feature the ubiquitous intertwining of a lot of his other stuff. There were a few moments whose fairness I questioned, but I like the challenge: a wild, hectic start and then a couple setpieces to follow.

Bottom line: tough and basic

I'm back with my final 64KB map for the limit-removing set. Tested on GZDoom and Crispy. Mapslot is Map 12. 64res texture pack which is attached in the zip file is required (not the same texture pack as the other maps).

This is pretty different from the others as it is my first foray into slaughter (409 monsters on UV - still over 100 monsters short of NIH's contribution to that mapset :P). It's also significantly harder, but all difficulties are implemented. It does contain some custom monsters, but they aren't in every fight and act as a supporting role rather than the whole map being dominated by them. 

If slaughter isn't your thing, or would prefer not to face any custom monsters, please feel free to reject playing the map

impi_v2.1.zip

@Omilab

download the .rar

It definitely feels like beginner material with very little attention given to visual details and the sense that most of the monster choices are pretty random. I was instructed to play on I'm Too Young to Die, which was largely a cakewalk. I intentionally avoided the BFG and many invulnerabilities, not to mention numerous unneeded megaspheres. I thought the maze part had potential and the ending had some challenge to it, though not really any originality. The main thing to work on here is more meaningful encounters. There was hardly any meaningful pressure in the map, and that would have been mostly true even without excessively abundant health and ammo.

Bottom line: a lot of different content - there's probably a hint of appeal somewhere for you

42 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Omilab

download the .rar

It definitely feels like beginner material with very little attention given to visual details and the sense that most of the monster choices are pretty random. I was instructed to play on I'm Too Young to Die, which was largely a cakewalk. I intentionally avoided the BFG and many invulnerabilities, not to mention numerous unneeded megaspheres. I thought the maze part had potential and the ending had some challenge to it, though not really any originality. The main thing to work on here is more meaningful encounters. There was hardly any meaningful pressure in the map, and that would have been mostly true even without excessively abundant health and ammo.

Bottom line: a lot of different content - there's probably a hint of appeal somewhere for you

Thanks for review. youre right im novice mapper. but did you enjoy ??

51 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Omilab

download the .rar

I really aprecciate the record gameplay, thanks. Your voice is nice too ;)

@HAK3180 oh wow so I did, I deleted the old version from the zip but forgot to add the new one, whoops. Attached is the new zip including the .wad this time :P

impi_v2.1.zip

@Horus (I tracked the wad file down. Hopefully it was current.)

download the .zip

I applaud the effort of a newer mapper venturing into the slaughter genre and creating something that isn’t just craptacular spam. However, I don’t think this is Horus’s best showcase. The fights tried to be interesting and use weapon gimmickry and architecture to mix things up, but I just need a little more. Much of the combat still amounted to repetitive tactics/grind/spamming BFG. For me the flatness of the map was a significant issue. It felt like the combination of that and a high supply of rockets and BFG ammo equalized every monster’s threat, so that it was just a matter of continuing to shoot something – anything, but monster prioritizing is a big part of making Doom interesting, and I really only saw that when several arch-viles were released.

Bottom line: an encounter based map whose encounters unfortunately weren’t always all that interesting

@HAK3180 Thanks again for playing, your feedback is definitely appreciated here.

The version wasn't current, but the changes were almost entirely aesthetic. One thing I did fix was the block monster lines on the teleport in the caco swarm.

This was basically (at least at first) designed as a 'how many monsters can I fit in 64KB' kind of map. For sure will take into account your suggestions on starting on the megasphere (both in the first and second battle) and moving around the BFG ammo on the second battle. Less flatness and more turreted monsters would definitely be better, but with the map as I have it that involves more lines that I just don't have.

The fourth battle (the one you used the invuln on) is a completely different animal without the invuln sphere, and is definitely the hardest one. So I guess I will need to swap out the invuln for something else. The fifth battle I might add a third or even fourth Hades Elemental. The final battle I will fix the block monster lines; also it is almost always survivable first time if you make your way straight to one of the SMMs.

I think it will be my last foray into slaughter, it was exhausting to playtest tbh, playtesting the other maps were a lot more enjoyable. I have a newfound appreciation of what slaughtermap designers need to go through when creating their maps, at least

@Egg Boy

Doomworld forum topic

The knowledge that you have to face a Spiderdemon eventually coupled with no super shotgun and no abundance of ammo is interesting. As the map unfolds, the tension builds a little bit, but the actual boss fight is pretty weak. Still, it’s a fun enough map because of the design of the progression and some solid encounters throughout.

Bottom line: Strong layout makes the map

@Xyzzy01

idgames download page

The gimmickry is high in this one, but I find it quite enjoyable. You realize very early what’s going on, but that doesn’t stop the tension from building. You can be very strategic or you can be very skilled or some combination of both, or luck even. I thought the size/length was quite appropriate. The only thing I didn’t like was the very ending. The map didn’t seem to be telling me to save BFG ammo (especially marking it as secret), but if you don’t, you’re in a for a major grind at the end.

Bottom line: Exactly the kind of thing I would like to see in one of a megawad’s secret slots, for example

@Clippy

download the .wad

It’s a little bit of a light puzzle, I guess, and I appreciate the overall progression of going to the back of the level to get things started, then fighting your way back to the front. A lot of effort went into making sure the paths worked and there were no softlocks with all the changing scenery, etc. I think a visual upgrade is certainly in order. Texture choice is one thing, but what really stands out is just the crudeness – lack of transitions, very basic geometry, etc. Combat is never horribly grindy or boring (besides bosses), but it’s usually not very dynamic or challenging either.

Bottom line: Intriguing map design without much interesting fighting, largely due to supplies

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Clippy

download the .wad

It’s a little bit of a light puzzle, I guess, and I appreciate the overall progression of going to the back of the level to get things started, then fighting your way back to the front. A lot of effort went into making sure the paths worked and there were no softlocks with all the changing scenery, etc. I think a visual upgrade is certainly in order. Texture choice is one thing, but what really stands out is just the crudeness – lack of transitions, very basic geometry, etc. Combat is never horribly grindy or boring (besides bosses), but it’s usually not very dynamic or challenging either.

Bottom line: Intriguing map design without much interesting fighting, largely due to supplies

Thanks friend that was fast!

Wondering why you used to play as some things didn't seem to work right.

First off there is supposed to be 118 monsters.... or was it 115/116? on UV It's in the hundred and teens for sure

Also where is the music? I played in Zdoom and could hear this awesome music but in your video no music? I must know how you played, what program you used

Also the monsters on the lift, they never got stuck like that when I played. I should have specified to play in Zdoom I guess cause it looks like something wrong here in a few ways

Thanks for playing tho friend

As for the look, yah hah hah I don't think I'll ever be good at knowing what textures to use - I should pay someone else to do this for me. I just have fun creating maps that change and have interesting connecting points etc. good times. I made this in like 6 days

I also can't figure out why in the world you can't open that yellow exit door

Thanks for playing, HAK3180, Very nice video! Yeah, minesweeper probably wasn't the best description for this map haha! I did sorta space out the archviles in a way that they would be more likely to open doors to each other. I'm happy that you found Stupidstein to be enjoyable, I guess it was not so dumb an idea I came up with in six hours ^^ Fun fact: the ending area changes depending on skill level and is slippery, though the effect isn't preserved in saved games.

You said this:

On 3/9/2020 at 12:27 AM, Clippy said:

Doom 2 vanella type standard map

and then this:

3 hours ago, Clippy said:

I played in Zdoom...  I should have specified to play in Zdoom.

I hate to be blunt, but that is not okay at all. These are not even remotely similar. You don't even have to understand the differences or know exactly which ports will run your map correctly. Just state at least one port that you know works correctly. The moment you use the word vanilla, that is supposed to mean you can play it in about any port, including Crispy Doom, which is what I almost always use for vanilla and limit-removing. There is some precedent for the use of the term "vanilla style" not necessarily meaning vanilla-compatible, but it's a confusing wording that should not be used in my opinion, certainly not when the necessary source port information is not specified. Source port is the reason for every issue you've described. Monster count is simply the fact that lost souls are not counted in "lower" ports, but using a cheat to kill all enemies will still show that 116 were killed, even though the map says there are 106.

Bottom line: you need to specify the port(s) that were tested. Don't ever neglect to do this.

4 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

You said this:

and then this:

I hate to be blunt, but that is not okay at all. These are not even remotely similar. You don't even have to understand the differences or know exactly which ports will run your map correctly. Just state at least one port that you know works correctly. The moment you use the word vanilla, that is supposed to mean you can play it in about any port, including Crispy Doom, which is what I almost always use for vanilla and limit-removing. There is some precedent for the use of the term "vanilla style" not necessarily meaning vanilla-compatible, but it's a confusing wording that should not be used in my opinion, certainly not when the necessary source port information is not specified. Source port is the reason for every issue you've described. Monster count is simply the fact that lost souls are not counted in "lower" ports, but using a cheat to kill all enemies will still show that 116 were killed, even though the map says there are 106.

Bottom line: you need to specify the port(s) that were tested. Don't ever neglect to do this.

Sorry buddy I guess I didn't think

I have an idea for at least one more map I'll recommend Zdoom or Gzdoom next time

And I won't say the word vanilla again

Hey @HAK3180 i know you already played this map before, but i did some changes and had 2 secrets to this map. Whenever you have time, i would like to see some feedback. Thanks! 

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

I suppose I’m a bit of a wadist oldschoolexual, so I don’t love Supercharge and I don’t love OTEX. I think they are great resources on decent display here, but it’s hard for me to say my subjective enjoyment is high with these components featured so prominently. Still, I think there are some fun moments in this wad, like the beginning, the courtyard-esque room with gunners everywhere, and the highlight for me: the nukage maze.

Bottom line: Strip away all the innovation and you have an adequate space and some fairly decent gameplay in it

@HAK3180 thank you very much for playing it once again. Yeah, i understand that you might have some difficulty to comment with the Supercharge, but is much important to me to get all the comments you have about this, even if its minimal. The objective is to have fun, i hope you had some. So for this project i have done about 8 maps now...releasing little by little, in a few days ill release the second one. Once again, thanks alot and hope you dont sacrifice yourself too much playing something no too classical. Let me give you a reminder that OVERLOOK is a YES. About the reload, you can do it sooner, just customize button in settings.

PS: Prison misspelled :D

38 minutes ago, Austinado said:

Let me give you a reminder that OVERLOOK is a YES. About the reload, you can do it sooner, just customize button in settings.

Actually I choose to keep my neck nice and stiff. Okay, I've bound reload and turned on automatic reload on empty for the next maps.