Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *POST COMPATIBILITY OR DON'T POST*

Thanks for the gameplay and the review. I'm glad you enjoyed the map! And it's really motivating to get positive feedback!

I will have a think on how to make the final battle more interesting - I can see that with the amount of space available and supplies you have at that time it's not a challenge at all.

I also think that the secrets were maybe a bit too difficult to find, although it seems that you weren't looking for them too much. Maybe I should mark more sectors as secrets (like the soulsphere you found and were surprised it's not a secret; there was also a berserk which you didn't find, also not marked as secret).

I will have a think about the second plasma gun - I definitely don't want it to be easy to get.

Btw. the map by me you played a year ago was Hydrogen ( https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hydrogen ).

Thanks again, it was really useful to see how you approached the map!

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

Most of this wad has been much more difficult, but here it wasn’t the monster placement or spatial setups; it was the abundance of rockets and cells. I think eliminating some of that would do a lot for increasing the challenge. Still, I liked the map. The deuxble layout was effective and clever without being cheesy.

Bottom line: good concept, strong execution, too much ammo

@Walkerrr

Doomworld forum topic

Wow, what a map. A lot of episode 1 somewhat lacked identity, even though they were good maps. These last two have given this wad the variety that it needed along with some strong character. And it’s not really visual. This was a somewhat generic gothic hell aesthetic – well done for sure, but still somewhat generic. But the gameplay was great – you start with rockets and you never empty out your supply, but the nobles are coming. It’s a large interconnected map with a Map 15 signature sidequest. A couple minor complaints would be that the setpieces were a little weak. The first key I got was interesting. I didn’t have the plasma gun and my space was crowded. But the other key and the finale just weren’t quite fierce enough for the space and supplies available. They weren’t necessarily boring and grindy, but they felt like they were supposed to be more challenging than they were. But I thoroughly enjoyed all the incidental stuff and the unseen nobles' projectiles in the sidequest and the crazy start.

Bottom line: a grand map with a bold idea and an admirable implementation of it

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

The first 2/3 or so is solid. It reuses space nicely and has some quality fights. Then it gets rote and choppy in a hurry. Suddenly the interconnection is gone and it’s all grind killing. I think this was an ambitious map and the 3-hour factor was an issue here.

Bottom line: The map starts good but seems to drag on too long

Hello again HAK, as the Austinado i finally made a map for the Modest Mapping Challenge 2, this time it's a final map in the set MAP30 and it's called "Temple of Unholy Trinity". Vanilla map, so don't expect from me a ton of detailing.

Rules:

- Maps must be made under/equal to 40 Sectors (Can Join sectors)

- A maximum of 5 Monster types can be used (Can be different for each Difficulty, Cybers doesn't count)

- Maps must contain Co-op starts and be functional in Co-op.

- Difficulty settings must be implemented (Main testing on UV, but balanced for other difficulties)

- Maps must be Pistol Startable

- All weapons allowed for E3.

- No Icon of Sin. (part of the project story) This map give you 3 Cyber fights. (For example, E1 ending - 1 cybers; E2 ending - 2 cybers; E3 ending - 3 cybers)

Don't know what difficulty i can recommend for your first playthrough, HMP is okay, but on UV it's more fun and challenging.

Sexy screenshots:

screen1.png.805671187bf148d48382337ca491c898.png

screen2.png.ba4745b16d84c60061bdd2c36affda3c.png

screen3.png.702cd550cd63668927cdd8e69e2c9653.png

Handsome download: ModestMap30v4.zip

Edited by MAN_WITH_GUN

@xxWeNxx

download the .zip

Good structure and flow to this one. There are a couple quick optional areas in an otherwise linear and tight affair. The gameplay was plenty varied for a short map and usually interesting. I think some of the fights are a little too easy to flee, and I think the ending section has way too many supplies.

Bottom line: you won’t miss out by skipping this, but you won’t regret playing it

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

I generally prefer too much stuff to not enough, but this is just overkill. Again, the map quality is diminished by the abundance of rockets and cells and the presence of the BFG. To a lesser degree, there’s probably too much health, but I think a pretty simple fix for this level is to cut the BFG entirely, replace the early megaarmor and megasphere with green armor and soulsphere, and lessen the number of rockets throughout. Still, this was a really fun map. The layout is excellent, offering lots of freedom early on and the ability to get a sense of the level progression. Visually, it’s very nice and it’s just stock texture limit-removing. Besides the supply issues, the weak point of the map is probably the blue key fight.

Bottom line: Excellent map turned just good by a glut of supplies

@Egg Boy

Doomworld forum topic

1: A tidy and safe layout that nonetheless works as a simple “this is a wad opener” map.

2: Probably my favorite, I like how the damaging floor really forces the issue and the ups and downs of the progression. And this is map has the only rocket launcher

3: A little more substance here with all three keys that you can get in different orders. I appreciated the berserk, but I felt this map definitely could have offered up another rocket launcher or plasma gun, even if that meant a little more meat.

Bottom line: clever layouts, varied enough gameplay, good visuals, could use some more firepower and more / more involved secrets

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: Excellent map turned just good by a glut of supplies

Yeah, I think I'm getting more generous with supplies recently. I would probably cut down on cells significantly. And maybe on megasphere.

I really wish there was separate ammo for BFG so I could give player only a few shots per level.

I sent you my first map ever made about a year ago (It's okay, I would not expect you to remember :) )

I would appreciate if you could give my new map a shot!

This time, I went for a Sigil style map so it is a little dark (which people either love/hate).

Game: Ultimate Doom - Map: E3M5

Made with Crispy Doom in mind but also tested with GZ Doom.

No jumping/crouching. Freelook optional but made with classic doom style in mind so preferably off.

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

I never mind a little darkness, and it’s used effectively here. Layout is fine; I missed a switch and a whole room so I was low on ammo in the latter half, even with secret weapons, so I think, considering the absence of light, more ammo could be considered.

Bottom line: a bold map that maybe could use some spare ammo

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

I noticed more in this map than any previous one that stuff was different, so I didn’t like this map as much. I don’t know if anything new was introduced, but this map felt less like Doom. Interestingly, it’s a rather short map that uses all three keys. While it is visually somewhat distinct, it seems to lack any defining gameplay

Bottom line: Something about this just felt odd to me, but it was decently constructed

ADDENDUM: I later played this map again because I felt like I disliked it for no good reason. Second time through I appreciated the layout more (and almost got the soul sphere secret – I triggered the platforms once but never figured out what did it…) It really does have a nice flow of monster opposition. But yeah, I still thought the deviation from vanilla behavior was very noticeable here. I’m sure it’s supposed to be, but for me, that’s usually not a positive.

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

Roofi must be pretty efficient because this hardly felt like a speedmap. The layout was simple but clever. The visuals helped that make an immersive experience. Some of the combat felt a little bit annoying, but I think the map is made for you to go left first and get the super shotgun. Otherwise you don’t use shells at all until you’re almost done.

Bottom line: a thorough and atmospheric map

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

I think WH is better than this map. This map was not all bad, but it seems to betray some inexperience. There’s lots of backtracking. Lots of single file grindy killing. Some of the progression elements are very elegant, but some are not. There is some good combat in here though, and visually it’s not bad.

Bottom line: All in all a decent map but some fine-tuning would not hurt

Control Tower (MAP 11)

GZ Doom Compatibility (and GZDoom recommended), Doom 2 MAP11 replacement. Uses different music to the normal MAP 11 music.

I've only had one person playtest the map, and for that reason I really need feedback on the ammo and health balance, because of the map's highly unique "inverse hub" structure. Jumping and Crouching is not permitted. Freelook on and autoaim off is permitted and recommended due to the way flying enemies move through the geography. It may feel awkward to play with keyboard-only at times, but I like how the different enemy heights increase the challenge.

It's a long, but straightforward map. About 40-50 minutes for full completion, but there are few to no puzzles. This map can be completed from a pistol start on Ultra-Violence with no secrets found. The difficulty will hopefully ramp up fairly smoothly, because this is intended to be the final map of an "episode".