• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@xxWeNxx

Doomworld forum topic

I like the style of this mapper’s first two much better. There’s nothing to explore here. The whole map is basically visible from the beginning. It doesn’t really change much; monsters just come in. I really only enjoy the revenant trap. The rest is grindy or too easy to cheese/trivialize. Still a decent setup to the map itself though.

Bottom line: Seems to be trying too hard to be a challenge wad of specific encounters

Edited by HAK3180

@Casketkrusher

download the .wad

Decent ideas on the layout but too many narrow hallways with monsters simply lining up to be shot. Then the meaty parts are easily skippable, and that’s what I did since I didn’t have big guns. Appearance is simplistic.

Bottom line: Always fun to go back in time and see someone’s novice work

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

It feels like a finale, but it doesn’t really play like one, besides the presence of boss monsters. This is a pretty big level that barely has 100 enemies. You can feel that. It’s empty. The huge arena is just a task because the monsters are almost negligible. The map has a decent sense of progression but the layout itself is pretty novice – just a series of distinct rooms. 

Bottom line: The atmosphere is there, but the map is a little too empty

@Steve D

Doomworld forum topic

Despite not a lot of wild shenanigans in architecture or geometric layout, the different areas were memorable because they were distinct enough. The map had cohesion with them all being tied together by a substantial hub area. I enjoyed gunning my way through. The big fight at the end was troublesome because of no plasma and infinite height, but I still enjoyed it.

Bottom line: big and classic

@Capellan

Doomworld forum topic

I kinda got sick of the play style this map encourages toward the end. It frequently surrounds you with monsters on both sides in such a way that your best strategy is patience, even camping, this especially so with no ammo being abundant other than shells and not a lot of health and not a lot of bestiary options. It wasn’t like door camping, but it was often an incessant game of peek-a-boo. Some maps try to punish you for being careful; this one punishes you for being rash. It’s a good-looking map, taking place underground. It’s mostly SP_Rock and bricks but it all flows seamlessly so that there simultaneously are and are not distinct areas. I also like the various parts of the map that give you two distinct viable approaches.

Bottom line: Slow the pace down and enjoy a beautiful map.

If you wanna play more aggressively on M7, you're going to need to find more secrets.  Or be stupid good at this game like Demon of the Well!

You also passed up some non-secret ammo and health because you didn't twig to just parkour over to it, and went looking for a secret way to get there :) 

Well done on getting the mega-armour secret though.  I try to link the amount of reward with the difficulty of finding it, and as such you can tell that I considered that one of the toughest secrets to get.

The inclusion of an automap was not related to helping with secret-finding.  This was actually just a time where I felt like being able to see the full map in advance would provide some value, e.g. in anticipating upcoming dangers and layouts.  That's why it is in the 'key chamber', since however you start the map, you'll get to that room when you've only cleared about 1/6 of the map.  Maybe don't stand in lava while checking it, though!

@Capellan

Doomworld forum topic

This is one of my favorite custom boss fights ever. That doesn’t mean I love it because I generally don’t like custom bosses or monsters at all, but this one wasn’t something brand new, even though it was, and that’s what I appreciated. It also wasn’t ridiculously overpowered, which seems to be the temptation when inserting custom monsters, boss or not. The map itself is simple enough but there’s enough activity and variety to make it interesting probably through several plays.

Bottom line: simple finale well executed

@Casketkrusher

Doomworld forum topic

You start in front of a cyberdemon that you know you will face eventually. It’s an interesting tension that your objective is to unlock it and fight it. As you’re going through, you have that in the back of your mind, so you’re health conscious and ammo conscious. The path to get to the boss is threefold, each part unlocking one switch, so it’s basically a hub + 3 switch map. Parts of it look a little bland and basic, and the combat is linear and simplistic on some occasions, but overall it’s a decent effort that provides a sense of drive, fright, and freedom.

Bottom line: Some weaknesses and simplicities, but an adequate hub map with some decent challenge

On 8/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, HAK3180 said:

@Steve D

Despite not a lot of wild shenanigans in architecture or geometric layout, the different areas were memorable because they were distinct enough. The map had cohesion with them all being tied together by a substantial hub area. I enjoyed gunning my way through. The big fight at the end was troublesome because of no plasma and infinite height, but I still enjoyed it.

Bottom line: big and classic

Thanks as always for your playthrough, especially in a map this size. M6 and M7 will be similar.

Luckily, there were no errors apart from the inappropriate SR switches that I've already corrected for v1.1. 

I loved watching the big end fight. Yes, it's nastier with infinite height and just the RL. I had to suffer through zero-secret playthroughs in PrBoom in testing. But it's doable. That room and the room immediately before it are the only new additions to the map. Everything else was there by 2000. The start was made harder after I played Coffee Break in the DWMC and fell in love with its hot starts, but otherwise the gameplay is unchanged.

Cheers for getting that secret Soulsphere at the end. Not many people find it.

You were super close to getting the PG secret. The clue was a pool of blood in front of a wall;

Spoiler

ikRk4Td.png

You hit the walls to the side and even the red pillar -- Things never activate anything in my maps -- when you needed to hit the wall closest to the pool of blood. The most straightforward answer is usually the right one in my maps. That said, you did great on the secrets this time.

The BFG secret is much harder because I stole the idea from E1M7 of Fava Beans. Your hint came when you got the first RL, and then you found the thin ledge over the nukage that took you into a room where you saw giant pistons in part of the secret area. At that point, if you check the automap, you can see that there's an open area behind the Imp platform over the nukage that curves around to this room. Then you have to remember this for a long time, because the switch by the Zerk has another switch on its back side, which you found and activated. It lowers that Imp platform, but from there, most players head for the Blue Door instead of backtracking, because if they did, they'd see this;

Spoiler

TPds1lK.png

Following that path gets you a Blue Armor, a cell charge pack, another RL, 2 boxes of rockets, and the BFG. So it's definitely an obtuse secret in order to prevent you from grabbing all those goodies. Blame it on Sean Birkel. ;D

Edited by Steve D

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

This is definitely a map one would remember because of its arch-vile gimmick. The moments featuring those monsters were definitely the most fun; the other combat was a lot of shooting stuff in front of you. This map could use a visual tuneup as it’s a lot of bland ashwall, but quasi-puzzle progression is fun.

Bottom line: More niche gameplay decently implemented

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

I'm getting used to the style but not sick of it. It's just a really efficient use of both space and monsters. So many parts of the map are factors multiple times/in multiple ways. It's such that I think one would be surprised how few monsters it actually is and how little geographical space is actually used. I thought there was a questionable use of damaging floor, but it really only matters right at the beginning. Besides that, it is yet again a distinct and fun map.

Bottom line: unique and original - it's good.

@Steve D

Doomworld forum topic

I really like the beginning: an aggressive start that is a lot of fun to play aggressively. The actual getting of the red key is probably the weak point here because the last area, which is probably half the game time, is a blast. Steve D creates great layouts that not only tease what’s to come but also allow tactical advantages for Doomguy and/or the monsters. The maps can be a little bland in comparison to modern stuff, with long stretches of wall dominated by one texture, but they’re not so ugly, just bland, and they do represent the era, I suppose.

Bottom line: I had a lot of fun with this big, open space tech base

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

Most of it takes place in the dark, so the visuals are somewhat irrelevant. I think this map does creepy maze pretty well. The monsters are somewhat unpredictable but it’s never cheap traps. I also had a lot of fun in the first big fight to get the blue key.

Bottom line: big, dark maze a la Doom 1.

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Doomworld forum topic

Most of it takes place in the dark, so the visuals are somewhat irrelevant. I think this map does creepy maze pretty well. The monsters are somewhat unpredictable but it’s never cheap traps. I also had a lot of fun in the first big fight to get the blue key.

Bottom line: big, dark maze a la Doom 1.

Awesome work HAK3180, loving these play throughs, both of my work and other peoples. Great insights and wonderful to watch people approach things in ways I wouldn't expect!

This was actually a new map to what you previously played, with some old elements wormed in. Seeing this play though made me realise how cumbersome those teleporting Hell Knights - The challenge is to kill them with times shots with the SSG, but I can totally come up with a way to release them on the player later if they don't by having them teleport somewhere else.

Glad you dig the Maze though. It was really fun to make, and yet another reference to halls of the damned (hence the music too...)

As for the one shot secret, well... Mr. Petersen used them from time to time, and these are the 'Petersen' levels, so here we are...

4 hours ago, Milkman said:

As for the one shot secret, well... Mr. Petersen used them from time to time, and these are the 'Petersen' levels, so here we are...

The one I thought of right away was Caribbean. Yeah, not saying there's no precedent or it's objectively wrong; I just don't like them.

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

You have to use your brain in this one. I thought I had worked out a secret a number of times, only to discover I was doing necessary progression. Ended up with 0% secrets. But it’s really cool that you have to connect the dots a little bit. I have no real complaints in gameplay or layout except perhaps a minimal imbalance in ammo. Going right first less forgiving than going left first.

Bottom line: somewhat cryptic progression but very satisfying

This is the latest version (for now) of the mapset, a critical error in map12 is fixed and some other very minor things, most important, it contains already 18 maps, 4 new since last update.
Also It's a bit harder to balance this kind of maps where you can choose different paths but that's why I ask for playtesters, to fix all of those issues and is always a pleasure to hear your comments, you seem to be a very thoughtful person.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dvdrwy2u6ecedts/massexe250.wad/file

@nicolas monti, I'm very sorry to say that I've just completed Map 12 and logged on to say that it was bugged. Luckily, in my playthrough I mostly realize what is supposed to happen. I looked at your fixed version and see that you have applied a tag to the door that is really a lift. But there's still a problem with the water. I see you have dummy sectors at -24 height. But for some reason, one of the water sectors is rising to 0 height instead. This means you can skip almost the whole level, which you will see I almost did in my video. It's very odd, because it should rise to -24, not 0. Even when I tried a brand new dummy sector, same thing happened. So I used action 101 instead and created a new dummy sector with ceiling height -24. I removed your old dummy sectors and textured appropriately. This works in Crispy. I hope you don't mind, but I have uploaded this version: same exact thing you've uploaded above except those few changes.

7 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti, I'm very sorry to say that I've just completed Map 12 and logged on to say that it was bugged. Luckily, in my playthrough I mostly realize what is supposed to happen. I looked at your fixed version and see that you have applied a tag to the door that is really a lift. But there's still a problem with the water. I see you have dummy sectors at -24 height. But for some reason, one of the water sectors is rising to 0 height instead. This means you can skip almost the whole level, which you will see I almost did in my video. It's very odd, because it should rise to -24, not 0. Even when I tried a brand new dummy sector, same thing happened. So I used action 101 instead and created a new dummy sector with ceiling height -24. I removed your old dummy sectors and textured appropriately. This works in Crispy. I hope you don't mind, but I have uploaded this version: same exact thing you've uploaded above except those few changes.

Wow, thanks for the effort, I'll fix that again, I know now how to test thing with the right configuration on prboom but it seems I missed this huge problem with the rising water, hopefully this kind of thing won't happen again!

17 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Steve D

Bottom line: I had a lot of fun with this big, open space tech base

That was way fun to watch, @HAK3180 You really played the hell out of the pump room. Relatively few people go all the way to the switch that opens everything up before grabbing the free Soulsphere, but when they do, it's always a fun video. Usually, I grab the SS and fight the first big Caco/Lost Soul horde from the lower area. There's actually 2 different hordes in that section. One appears when you go for the SS itself, the other appears when you head towards the first Ginormous Pump. You can tackle them sequentially or all at once. When I want a more exciting playthrough, I trigger both of them and then go fight in what I call "The Generator Room" because then they come in through the window and the nukage causeway, and because there's so many structures it's harder to predict where they'll be.

Somehow, you managed a cool Generator Room battle after fighting your way back through the causeway. Your fight on the platform leading to the SS was especially fun because the flyers kept coming at you from multiple directions.

This tends to be a polarizing map. This is because there's many ways to fight the pump room. Some people end up slogging through it real slowly, and not liking it. I designed it for a high/low style of gameplay because there's teleports at ground level, allowing players to dive down if things get too hot for them up top, and then teleport to a favorable spot for attacking the monsters. But there's no monster-block lines on the teleports, so the flyers can teleport right beside you sometimes. I think it's fun when that happens, others disagree. And sometimes monsters are waiting for you, especially Pinkies and Spectres.

You didn't get many secrets this time but it doesn't matter because you had fun. One you missed was when you found the secret door in the Silver room. It took you up the stairs to a Sladwall hallway, and there was a vertically misaligned wall that you went right past. I'm starting to think I shouldn't rely so much on that gambit, because a high percentage of players fly down hallways, going way too fast to see misalignments unless I make them super obvious, like a 24-unit shift instead of my usual 4 units. Btw, that room contained 2 Former humans and 5 cell charge packs. This map didn't have really big secret areas except for the SS and Blue Armor you see near the start, which is accessed from a tunnel in the pump room. Yes, you were in that tunnel. There's actually 2 chances because there's a misaligned wall in 2 tunnels, one on each side of the secret room where you find a big lift that takes you up to the actual secret area.

That said, you did an amazing job finding the secret Blue Armor in E2M7 of Spectrum. I knew something was up in that room, but I expected that I could trigger the secret just by running across the slabs. When that didn't work, I figured there must be a switch somewhere. And there was, and you found it. It was evil of @Capellan to use a switch texture without the switch itself being visible, and to use a texture in the same family when many players will be seeing green thanks to a radsuit, but that's one of the slickest secrets I've seen in a long time. Congrats to Adam for making it and to you for figuring it out.

On the bland walls in the pump room. That was a deliberate artistic decision, not only to maintain the period feel, but to focus attention on the pumps and causeways. This map was left incomplete in 2000, and it had everything except the pump room, which was built sometime between 2012 and 2013, so that part is new. I also play at default gamma in GZDoom Dark mode, so for me, from a distance, those Browngrn walls fade into the darkness until you get fairly close. People who play with higher gamma will indeed see all that monotexturing more clearly. 

Lastly, your commentary was very helpful. For example, that early trap which releases 3 Cacos had been bugging me for awhile, but when you pointed out that it was a fairly tame trap that did nothing except waste time, I decided to replace the Cacos with hitscanners. Then again, I might change my mind and remove the trap, so players may expect one but don't get it, leading to a sense of unpredictability.

M7 is next, a completely new map. Good luck! 

18 minutes ago, Steve D said:

It was evil of @Capellan to use a switch texture without the switch itself being visible, and to use a texture in the same family when many players will be seeing green thanks to a radsuit, but that's one of the slickest secrets I've seen in a long time.

It's also the only one without a gargface visible on its longer side.   :)

28 minutes ago, Capellan said:

It's also the only one without a gargface visible on its longer side.   :)

Well, there ya go. This was all foretold when I failed the pattern recognition section of the Stanford-Binet IQ test. ;D

10 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Well, there ya go. This was all foretold when I failed the pattern recognition section of the Stanford-Binet IQ test. ;D

The Baphomet-Romero test you mean?

@nicolas monti (for the most part I follow the intended progression, even though this map had some issues at the time of recording.)

Doomworld forum topic

Another memorable map with a cool major change of scenery feature. Unfortunately, it’s broken in this video, but I tried to figure out how the map was supposed to be played. It has a very fun beginning, though perhaps an armor is in order with a number of long distance gunners that you probably can’t even autotarget. I’ve noticed some of the traps are starting to see more modern influence with larger hordes of monsters: revenants, mancubi, cacodemons. The E2 look is still there, but this map did feel more like Doom 2 with its bestiary and the arrangement of the monsters.

Bottom line: It’s a little bit quirky and a lot fun

32 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti (for the most part I follow the intended progression, even though this map had some issues at the time of recording.)

Doomworld forum topic

Another memorable map with a cool major change of scenery feature. Unfortunately, it’s broken in this video, but I tried to figure out how the map was supposed to be played. It has a very fun beginning, though perhaps an armor is in order with a number of long distance gunners that you probably can’t even autotarget. I’ve noticed some of the traps are starting to see more modern influence with larger hordes of monsters: revenants, mancubi, cacodemons. The E2 look is still there, but this map did feel more like Doom 2 with its bestiary and the arrangement of the monsters.

Bottom line: It’s a little bit quirky and a lot fun

You managed to played as intended, for the new maps I'm making the testing with the right configuration, but anyways there is always the possibility of a surprise, a trap didnt lower at the red door area also and that big crate at the north side *-* all will be fixed properly, thanks again for your thoughts, I'm not a fan of scripted gameplay but the traps are needed for sure, I'm also combining that with some non deaf roaming monsters at some points of the maps because it adds a lot to the experience, the surprise factor like the demon which bit or attempted to bite you at the cratemaze on map 11. Also remember if you see a damaging floor there will be a radsuit at some point or if you feel unequipped at some point the weapon needed for that is nearby.

@Steve D

Doomworld forum topic

In my mind there are three main designations of big tech bases: sprawling, grand, and epic, though there can be some overlap. This one is sprawling and grand, though not quite epic. It’s actually a fitting size for a 9-map episode’s magnum opus, which I always instinctively think of the penultimate map as. Steve D just has a gameplay style that I like: lots of open spaces and wiggle room with fewer major setpieces but significant “incidental” combat.

Bottom line: an entertaining tech base that keeps the fun coming throughout