Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Hello , thank you for showing interest on my project!  Just some informations :

map 01 was my second map in my mapping career. I built it in  3hours in 2016.

A lot of maps were made last week in 30 minutes so expect a lot of gimmicky level design and poorly aligned textures haha

Table of Contents

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Another little vacation from the visual themes of the wad proper, and to some extent, from the typical layout, as this is much more “standard,” although I like that it’s not quite as simple as two paths to get the two keys. The paths meet at the end; I thought that was a cool touch. It allows several different approaches. Gameplay is a series of light slaughter setpieces with some less dense moments in between. It’s challenging but not brutal, and architecture makes the combat interesting.

Bottom line: A nice sequel to Map 31

@damned

Doomworld forum topic

Pretty simple idea executed well in some areas, not as good in others. It’s got a nice appearance but it basically repeats itself for a bunch of rooms until the end.

Bottom line: Some parts work well, others not as much

@damned

Doomworld forum topic

There’s really nothing to the appearance. It’s almost entirely red brick and right angles. Progress is quite simple – a series of switches/keys guarded by (quasi-)setpiece fights. I didn’t care for most of them, whether they were easier or harder; they felt too simplistic.

Bottom line: A series of fights, most of which I found boring

Quick question: Do you accept newschool maps? I´m asking beforehand because it doesn´t meet some of your criteria (jumping and crouching are encouraged in my maps) and requires some GZDoom features to be enabled.

1 hour ago, Guardsoul said:

Quick question: Do you accept newschool maps? I´m asking beforehand because it doesn´t meet some of your criteria (jumping and crouching are encouraged in my maps) and requires some GZDoom features to be enabled.

What does "jumping and crouching are encouraged" really mean? To me there are multiple tiers:

1. required to complete the map and integral to the gameplay (e.g. platforming or practically necessary for certain encounters)
  2. not technically required to complete the map but integral to the gameplay
  3. not required to complete the map but some optional areas (perhaps secrets) are only accessible via jump/crouch
  4. required to complete the map but only in obvious situations and not integral to the gameplay (e.g. there are no monsters around and you have to jump onto a 32-high ledge
  5. not required to complete the map, not integral to survival, does not allow for alternative progressions

1-2 are no. 3 is usually no. I can maybe live with 4. 5 is okay.

I guess the key question is this: have these maps actually been properly tested without crouch and jump?

I'll enable some GZDoom features; I just can't guarantee the quality of the recorded video.

15 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Table of Contents

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Another little vacation from the visual themes of the wad proper, and to some extent, from the typical layout, as this is much more “standard,” although I like that it’s not quite as simple as two paths to get the two keys. The paths meet at the end; I thought that was a cool touch. It allows several different approaches. Gameplay is a series of light slaughter setpieces with some less dense moments in between. It’s challenging but not brutal, and architecture makes the combat interesting.

Bottom line: A nice sequel to Map 31

Thanks for playing through all the maps, not the last ones I'm going to release for sure, but I'll take a break from megawads for now. When I have something new I'll let you know, I've learned a lot these last months!

In this case it will fall under the 3rd case (the map does not require jumping/crouching but a couple of secrets do). Since the map demands a certain amount of power from your computer I´m certain there will be some issues recording it according to what you told me and I´m not going to ask you to play something you are not comfortable with, so I´ll leave my spot for someone else.

Thank you for answering!

@Octillion

Doomworld forum topic

So you’re not really supposed to pistol start. That was responsible for a lot of my troubles. The map is not good looking at all, but I actually kinda like the layout and progression through and up and around the buildings. I think it could be a little more clear what some of the switches do, but I think these will start to become much more sufferable when I start going continuous.

Bottom line: I think this general layout could be repurposed into something fun

@Octillion

Doomworld forum topic

This map had lots of rocket launcher situations, so it was a shame I didn’t have one because I pistol started until this map. So for me I basically just wanted to exit, rather than kill everything via infighting or shells and the few cells I had.

Bottom line: Pistol starting and missing the rocket launcher has caught up to me

@Hak3180 Oh boy, that teleporter in the water was not supposed to be accessible and for some reason the linedef that raises a platform didn't work as intended (The part where you get stuck in the water.) I'll work on that and clarify the switches.

As for map 5, the wooden platforms were raised to get you to a switch @16:00 that would raise the bridge.

I was always under the impression that pistol start is a challenge rather than a default. Guess I should put more weapons then.

@Roofi

Doomworld forum topic

Neat little concept of survival. It’s not quite mindless as you have to refuel a few times. I like that the rockets are limited and scattered. There’s definitely sufficient ammo here, but not all of the variety you would like, which adds some interest.

Bottom line: High gimmickry but it doesn’t really wear out its welcome this time, unless perhaps you're desperate to max it.

Hello , thanks for playing my maps again !

But you are playing the old version of the wad. I added cyberdemons , a bfg and cell packs in the last version.

I think you missed my post , so I will repost the link here :

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457164374717759488/626186457727369246/smfsp2.wad

@HAK3180 I mention you so that you should not miss the post.

@Roofi, I saw the post and immediately downloaded the new version. However, the time between me playing maps and the video appearing here is usually at least several hours, sometimes as much as a few days. I had already played the old version at the time of your posted update.

@Gustavo

Doomworld forum topic

These maps boast a simple elegance in their appearance and solid layouts. They’re not genius and they’re not gorgeous, but there’s not really anything you question. Gameplay itself is okay, but it’s a little too easy and simple. It felt more like what Hey, Not Too Rough should have been than Ultra-Violence. That being said, it manages to have a scary moment or two and isn’t usually grindy, containing mostly imps and humans, until a wave of demons with too much space and no backing threat

Bottom line: They seem like very early maps in a megawad

@damned

Doomworld forum topic

This map starts very similar to Close Quarters in style and concept, but it does soon gain an identity of its own. It’s pretty nice to look at; I didn’t notice any visual issues. Gameplay is on the easy side and doesn’t really even try to surprise you or trap you beyond the beginning, but it’s also not insulting or boring.

Bottom line: The map is pretty easy and it has a few moments that seem to reveal some inexperience, but it comes together nicely

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: The map is pretty easy and it has a few moments that seem to reveal some inexperience, but it comes together nicely

Glad you like it. For me this is probably the best Jaedens map in this wad.
BTW I don't consider myself as a project lead, but I am just pushing it to final release and as more experienced than others I've managed the resource pack, done some bug tracking and fixing, few corrections and balancing of the gameplay here and there. In fact we haven't rejected any map, since we wanted to encourage all to contribute so I wouldn't dare to speak about real quality assurance. :)

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Gustavo

Doomworld forum topic

These maps boast a simple elegance in their appearance and solid layouts. They’re not genius and they’re not gorgeous, but there’s not really anything you question. Gameplay itself is okay, but it’s a little too easy and simple. It felt more like what Hey, Not Too Rough should have been than Ultra-Violence. That being said, it manages to have a scary moment or two and isn’t usually grindy, containing mostly imps and humans, until a wave of demons with too much space and no backing threat

Bottom line: They seem like very early maps in a megawad

Thanks for playing!

@Octillion

Doomworld forum topic

Again, you can tell it was done in some haste because it’s pretty crude in appearance, but this one does seem somewhat well crafted in its sense of progression and atmosphere. It also had a number of fun, challenging encounters.

Bottom line: You would expect a project like this to be a mixed bag. This is one of the better ones for gameplay

@damned

Doomworld forum topic

I like it a lot. Great architecture, fun progression, solid combat. I think it’s a little stingy on supplies, especially as compared to other maps in the wad.

Bottom line: Solid stuff with some Plutonia vibing

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: Solid stuff with some Plutonia vibing

I suppose you wasted lot of shell and ammo boxes in the start, so you have shortage later on.
The megasphere secret is kind of tricky and the bad guy picture is involved in solution. Maybe you should not waste all your rockets on cute cacos. ;)
But overall my maps are little stingy on supplies, especially on UV, where I expect people will find some secrets (berserk, plasma, megasphere, backpacks available in this map).

Try this one: 

60secret01.zip

Intended to be part of a 6-map pack, the goals are:

-Small maps

-somewhat cramped combat

-high secret count

-doom1 and doom2 texture blend

EDIT:

project name: 60 secrets

Map name: depopulate!

@HAK3180  Ah, I probably made the light strobe hurt and not strobe fast. My bad, will change that.

Yeah, now the maps should start to be a little more interesting. (Hopefully)

The appearance unfortunately, doesn't get that much better. (Maybe only maps 13 and 14 from the new update.)

@Magicana

Doomworld forum topic

Seems like a solid use of OTEX. I like how Entryway is noticeable but not carbon copied. I like how you have space at the beginning but almost no choice other than to trigger both waves of monsters because you can’t take that many imps with pistol. All the other encounters definitely have thought behind them, but although it is by design, I just prefer maps to have some “incidental” combat.

Bottom line: a short and simple map with attitude