Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Yeah, thats the one. The map names haven't been changed yet in slade. If you can run the Interception2_Map20 map with the Int2-5-19 as the base since the Interception2_map20 WAD is the latest version of the map

Yeah my fault, I have been saving changing CWILV names until I have all the maps in since there's a lot of changes being made currently to the lineup

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

...never found a super shotgun...

Actually SSG is laying on the ground in the room with two first revenants. It is not even a secret. :) You were running around it several times around 3:30.

@slush59134

Doomworld forum topic

I don’t remember seeing Oblige credited, but that program did the majority of the work for this map. Oblige has some issues. While it can give you a decent layout, the generated progression doesn’t always make the best sense. Visually, it’s generally okay, but it is going to be obvious to anyone who’s spent any significant time with the program. The biggest weakness is that the combat is going to feel random and unfulfilling. Monsters are often not going to be used to their strengths, and the level itself will often not exploit any spatial tactical advantages it may have.

Bottom line: Oblige can give you a good start, not a (close to) finished product.

@R2card

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a fairly vanilla map: kinda bland, not that exciting in terms of combat, solid progression. What makes the map interesting is the Doom 1 approach to secrets. Lots of taunting, lots of combined secrets, and a few pretty easy ones just make you want to learn the map inside and out.

Bottom line: the secrets make the map

@Arbys550, my apologies. Your In the Doghouse maps 07 and 08 just slipped through the cracks. I've had a nagging feeling I skipped something and finally found it. I'll get to those next.

@HAK3180

The big secret you missed lead to the secret level, in case you want to come back to that, if you want to skip the secret level that's okay too. The first secret level is MAP031.

Also, the ammo is setup for both a continuous run and a pistol start run.

Very nice feedback so far, thanks!

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Arbys550, my apologies. Your In the Doghouse maps 07 and 08 just slipped through the cracks. I've had a nagging feeling I skipped something and finally found it. I'll get to those next.

Okay thanks! I was gonna ask you about it earlier but I didn't want to nag.

BTW I just caught a bug in map07 in austinado's vid. If you haven't already played it can you redownload it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nb0gu5odgo29t10/boomhouse.wad?dl=0

Edited by Arbys550 : Added new link

@DJVCardMaster

download the .zip

I like this map. From the constantly roaring revenants and arch-viles to the required damaging floor to relatively l ow monster count to the obvious key progression even within a nonlinear layout, this thing feels very Plutonia. I thought heavy firepower was a little low. A few more rockets and/or cells, even if within some new secrets, would be appreciated.

Bottom line: I think this captures Plutonia quite well.

@DerFurer'sFace and @JadingTsunami

Doomworld forum topic (project)

It’s pretty good visually with a few notable exceptions. Combat is varied throughout with gimmicky stuff, old school traditional stuff, and more modernized typical stuff. I really did not like the big lost soul fight; it was basically just a massive cleanup. I also think the yellow key puzzle could stand to be a little easier since it’s necessary. But it’s mostly a very interesting map.

Bottom line: a very interesting layout with perhaps a few questionable choices

@slush59134, it is a good idea to avoid using OBLIGE maps completely, as a new mapper. I know it might seem super cool, with its ability to generate layouts that are more sophisticated than your own at this stage, but the human touch counts for a lot, and your own maps, though simpler, are still more interesting and more enjoyable than the unchanged OBLIGE maps. Also, once someone has played (as in looked through) a few dozen OBLIGE maps, they've seen all of what it has to offer, even with its most unusual settings, and the charm is completely lost. Finally, regardless of one's experience level, using unchanged (or mostly unchanged) OBLIGE maps is a faux pas; successful maps that use it as a kind of experimental design end up doing a similar amount of work as a normal map would demand.  

(I kind of wanted to reply in the wad thread, rather than cluttering here, but I'd rather not have the first response to that thread be something that might dissuade others from playing the set or spark a chain of critical posts.) 

Edited by rdwpa

@slush59134 @rdwpa To add on to it -last time I checked- oblige used prebuilt blocks to generate the levels. Maybe the eula says it is okay but regardless you're basically adding touches to someones elses work.

@HAK3180 Just for your info as far as i'm aware the shotgun is in-fact not sped up at all. I'll double check but the only changes I'm aware of is the fists are sped up, the pistol is sped up, and the BFG consumes 60 cells rather than 40 to make using it have higher tradeoffs and make usage a bit rarer.

Incidentally it seems you loaded and played an older version of the map (probably either just running the alpha or the alpha loading after the separate map WAD) missing some detail work and changes but I think most of the critiques are still valid. Next time I send you a map I'll work harder on packaging it so there is no confusion. I'll take the L on that one.

@Misty

Doomworld forum topic

Deserted. I get it. But there’s got to be a way to make the combat interesting even while maintaining that vibe. The map looks very nice and features a solid progression, but the playable space is sizable enough that almost every encounter is trivialized. The Doom 1 bestiary doesn’t do it any favors, either. It just becomes a matter of clearing out the few hitscanners and then cleaning up the projectilers.

Bottom line: It’s a nice looking thing but too big for what’s in it.

Thanks for the review, yes, Exodus is a Vanilla compatible map, the most visplanes I found was around 110 on the hardest sections to look at, right when the middle section is fully open. It's made in the style of Dario Casali, which had in opposite to his brother, who loved circle shaped corners and rooms, square shaped rooms with tons of diagonal vertices on them. Dario also loves labyrinths (MAP11 is an example) and using 8px grids more than Milo, which adjusted himself to a 32px grid more often. The room with the RL and the Plasma Rifle was ripped of DTWID E2M2, where, in this "multiverse" the Casalis had to steal designs from DTWID and D2TWID, since they are the actual games there, so I had to do some little imagining.
It's a fun proyect to work on, sadly, is now on a 4-year hiatus, and I think it would not end until TNT: Devilution is finished I guess. But because I like mapping with restrictions, I just had to try my own.

I have aswell an Interception II map you should try, it takes the slot of MAP04, here is it. I think you have the Resource pack aswell, if not, tell me. This map was 80% made by me in terms of layout, but the enemy placements were made by TheMysteriousMoustachio and some final edits to the layout, so I feel a little bit sad about not giving him the proper  recognition he deserves now that he left the proyect. I think this map is a little bit too green yet, it lacks something, aswell as proper feedback, since I almost never edited it after the final touches.
@DerFurer'sFace Didn't you do some editing to this aswell? I can't recall.

EDIT: Yes, it's MAP04 on the final alpha build of Interception, so you should test it from there, since it has the last edit made by DerFurer'sFace.

Edited by DJVCardMaster

@DJVCardMaster I don’t recall off the top of my head but if it’s the map I’m thinking of then yes, the latest version of that was in the current alpha, I’ll double check in a couple hours when I’m free, and if so I’ll link the most up to date version since I did make quite a few adjustments

@HAK3180 Since DJV expressed and interest here's just the latest alpha of Interception 2. I'd like map 04 to be played. It is called "Beyond the Living" and was a collaborative effort from @DJVCardMaster, Moustachio, and I.

Also I believe you have not played through map 01 "Euphoria" yet and I'd appreciate a playthrough of that map aswell when you can fit it in. It was a collaboration between NeedHealth, TMM, Quantum Dranger, and I.

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I really did not like the big lost soul fight; it was basically just a massive cleanup.

Thanks for the feedback.

As a side note, if you play in GZDoom with the default settings, the lost soul fight is not nearly as fun.

Spoiler

In PrBoom, the two power plant towers are magnetic and will attract the lost souls. You can use the marked buttons to activate the power plant towers as crushers to "stomp" the Lost Souls before they attack and pull themselves away. In GZDoom, you have to enable Pullers to have physics effects on Things, which is too bad in this case.

11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Deserted. I get it. But there’s got to be a way to make the combat interesting even while maintaining that vibe. The map looks very nice and features a solid progression, but the playable space is sizable enough that almost every encounter is trivialized. The Doom 1 bestiary doesn’t do it any favors, either. It just becomes a matter of clearing out the few hitscanners and then cleaning up the projectilers.

I agree with the most of criticism... But in other hand, I just wanted to make something really easy, fast and relax from my main project. Of course, with big spaces here should be more interesting - besides cleaning spaces and walking, but doom 1 bestiary have so little monsters to spur up action, unlike doom 2 monsters like revs, archviles and so on. Clearly what works with doom 2 maps might won't work with doom 1 as this creation shows. These days, I work on quite big spaces and I didn't resist to make this map big too.

Thank you for trying this map out. 

@Arbys550

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a dead simple clone, if you will, but while it may be fatal, it’s not simple. It’s complex. Nice little title wordplay translates into a really good and well thought out map.  The appearance is good with a really appropriate sky. It’s all very tidy, but it works. Detailing is appropriate. There are small and big areas. This map’s best feature is its navigability. It becomes obvious that you are on a quest right away (and that it becomes obvious is important) with many objectives. But you can literally track your progress, and you can see early on what’s going to happen when you hit certain progression points. The complex is fairly complex, and it could have been a source of frustration, but it’s put together well so as not to be. I thought most of the combat was enjoyable. It’s mostly medium to heavy setpieces, but only one of them fell flat to me, the one with two cyberdemons and four revenant towers.

Bottom line: A well crafted Dead Simple map

@Arbys550

Doomworld forum topic

To me this is pretty textbook slaughter, so some of the things I don’t like about the genre are on display here, such as not a lot of progression choices to be made and no incidental combat. However, I think the appearance is good here with some nice physical movement elements and the fights are at least varied enough to maintain interest.

Bottom line: pretty conventional slaughter, pretty well done

@damned

Doomworld forum topic

This one employs some fairly high gimmickry/abstraction, so I don’t have much to say about visuals. I don’t mind the weird level design. I do mind the pain elemental encounter and the very ending, but I really like the section with imps, mancubi, and revenants.

Bottom line: I think there’s some fun to be had in this trippy map

@HAK3180 Thanks for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed map07, and yeah,I can see what you mean with map08 how every step is an ambush. Next map will have more exploration and lulls in the action, so stay tuned!

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Arbys550

Doomworld forum topic

To me this is pretty textbook slaughter, so some of the things I don’t like about the genre are on display here, such as not a lot of progression choices to be made and no incidental combat. However, I think the appearance is good here with some nice physical movement elements and the fights are at least varied enough to maintain interest.

Bottom line: pretty conventional slaughter, pretty well done

Man what a nice gameplay, i did not dare to play this map in UV...

@HAK3180Hey, mind if you play my latest map, Suspicious Journey and give it a go?. Kinda needing it for some other feedback. Thanks in advance.

@Roofi

Doomworld forum topic

This map felt very familiar to me but I couldn’t remember why. I like the layout. You get that almost overwhelmed feeling of not knowing whether you’ll find your way back to this are because the path keeps forking. There are some nice surprises – enemies used well for the most part. Cyberdemon at the end felt completely unnecessary.

Bottom line: a tight but nonlinear hell map

Map 06 of 60 secrets: parque chas 2091

This kind of map is difficult to balance, you can do the keys in any order so you can do the level in 6 different ways theoretically, I hope this doesn"t get trivial or too hard in any point because of this, but well, this is testing.

60secret06.zip