• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@Egg Boy

Doomworld forum topic

This map feels pretty wide open with tall ceilings and a lot of floor space, but it sill manages to be engaging with its combat due to multiple vantage points, multiple levels, and lots of corners. I like the appearance, but it does seem rather dominated by greyishness, which may become a problem should this thing turn into a longer set. I thought the shotgun-chaingun combo carried on just a touch too long.

Bottom line: Yeah, I’d play more like this

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Table of Contents

@Egg Boy

Doomworld forum topic

This map feels pretty wide open with tall ceilings and a lot of floor space, but it sill manages to be engaging with its combat due to multiple vantage points, multiple levels, and lots of corners. I like the appearance, but it does seem rather dominated by greyishness, which may become a problem should this thing turn into a longer set. I thought the shotgun-chaingun combo carried on just a touch too long.

Hak: I really want to get into that storage area. Oh well, nevermind.

Also Hak: image.png.c36a015f3911a0121dc533b47f0aa425.png

(Don't feel too bad, I only found it in Doom Builder)

@Octillion

Doomworld forum topic

They say to finish strong. That’s what Octillion did with this map. I did pistol start it, and I’m happy to say that ammo balance is pretty good. Maybe scatter a few more bullets and shells, but I never feared I would have to start punching barons or anything. I’m especially glad I got to pistol start it because I really like exploring maps like this and getting the weapons in order. If I start this thing with a carried over BFG, those arch-vile troubles pretty much disappear. Anyway, there’s a lot to like here. The city layout is pretty good despite the terrible locations for impassable lines. The six keys are not hard to find; you just have to explore six areas. I think if there was an urge to use hitscanners in what would amount to a cheap manner, it was avoided entirely. Even the revenant rockets coming in were dodgeable with the convenient street lights. I really enjoyed the adventurous feel throughout. It’s a big map, but you always knew where you were or what you were coming back to. Visuals are fine, not stellar but not outstanding. One thing to improve would be the boss fights, as both the spiderdemon and double cyberfinale were a bit underwhelming.

Bottom line: A few things could be polished/spruced up, but I had a lot of fun in the streets and buildings of Hellsville

Thanks a lot for playing the entire wad. I learned a lot from your feedback and I'm glad you liked the finish. It was my main focus to end it at a high note to make up for the bumpy start.

Whoops, I gave a wrong action to  the 6 door key, my bad. I wanted to put cars instead of an impassible line there, but cars look very weird with doom textures and I dropped that idea. Should've added crates and fences like you said. I made sure the hitscanners have a limited access because it would be very annoying to deal with them, even with all the street light cover. Only two shotgunners can come out of the buildings and it takes a lot of time for them to do so. There were two chaingunners who were at the 6 door key that can harass the player in those towers, but you almost never feel their presence because the revs kill them with infighting. You can see the bullets at 15:40. I should've made the mastermind spawn closer to the player when he picks up the yellow key, would've made him a bigger threat that way. The cyberdemon inside the building is an optional fight. It's a situation of do you have enough ammo to get a 100% or did you waste too much and can't find the secrets to kill him.

Yeah I agree, final fight was underwhelming. Maybe I could've added something on those rocks at the sides to make it a little more challenging. Fun fact, the end is a hell-ish portal because I planned for a 20-map wad with the last 5 being hell themed. However, seeing as map 15 pretty much is everything I learned from the previous 14 maps as well as being the biggest map in the wad, I found it hard to make something better than it.

Thanks again for suffering the Insufferable.

@R2card

Doomworld forum topic

I have to believe this was created first of the maps I’ve played so far. It just lacks the polish that the others had. It still shows you, to some extent, what is to come, and that’s been consistent, but most of the combat is door combat, hallway combat, or traps with too much space. Visually and architecturally, it’s quite bland. I assume this is going to be among the lowest quality of this wad because we’ve seen much better already.

Bottom line: Definitely seems more amateur than the others in the wad

On 11/13/2019 at 10:16 PM, HAK3180 said:

Table of Contents

@Egg Boy

Doomworld forum topic

Thanks for playing, Hak! I just recently uploaded a new version to the original thread, most of the fixes come directly from your suggestions in this video and I would appreciate if you tried it out, once more, obviously you don't have to go to the trouble of recording another video. I give you the rocket launcher before you fight the 2 mancubus and added 2 extra encounters as well as a new secret, I also made the old one easier to spot just for you ;). We'll see if I make more maps in a similar style, this is so short it could easily be an episode opener.

On 11/13/2019 at 2:41 AM, NeedHealth said:

@slush59134 @rdwpa To add on to it -last time I checked- oblige used prebuilt blocks to generate the levels. Maybe the eula says it is okay but regardless you're basically adding touches to someones elses work.

alright, now I'm progressing on map04 now...

but there's definately some changes!

1923626594_2019-11-15225851.jpg.a3a5d9f9e8d46b925a197a453c4d0bc3.jpg

-- I'll upload the actual file later.

@DerFurer'sFace and @DJVCardMaster

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a medieval looking fortress with a number of seemingly optional areas. It looks nice and feels right, despite perhaps a little bit of underdetailing. I think the monsters and traps are well placed. You can have a lot of fun with barrels. However, I think the ammo balance is off. I did not find any secrets, which I’m pretty sure include a plasma gun, but it’s really not that fun to be chaingunning lots of mid-tiers, that is, the ones you didn’t skip, because you ran out of rockets and shells.

Bottom line: A supply reexamination would make this a really fun map

@DerFurer'sFace

Doomworld forum topic

So the wad starts with kind of a weird, trippy map. It’s mostly conventional, but it’s got just enough oddities to trick the player into thinking this is not really going to be a “traditional” megawad, which it is. I don’t mind anything about the appearance or really the progression. The blue key is always the goal and you can see the exit area early. What I didn’t like about this map was the weaponry. The berserk fist is twice as fast and you get a shotgun. Other than that there’s nothing but a pretty late secret chaingun. That sounds reasonable for a Map 01, but this thing has almost 200 enemies, many of which are revenants, hell knights, and mancubi. I think a late super shotgun would be very appropriate. Alternatively, a rocket launcher could be given up but only sparing rockets. As it is, the second half of this map makes you feel like you missed something significant. I only know I didn’t because I got the computer area map and ultimately all the secrets.

Bottom line: An arsenal reexamination would make this a really fun map

I appreciate the feedback, I’m glad you can find the errors and problems I’ve overlooked. All the criticisms presented I agree with and will make those tweaks. Specifically the RL in map 1 and moving ammo/health in map 4 and some monster readjustment. Thanks again it really helps.

@leodoom85

Doomworld forum topic

This seems like a good use of Otex textures. It stays thematic and doesn’t try to unload the whole pak into one map. The layout is interesting. I didn’t really realize right away it was a path A or B, then B or A, then C situation. But it still worked and didn’t feel linear. Plus you end up with a nice mix of indoor and outdoor areas – both well done. Most of the combat is understatedly sufficient. There’s nothing extremely memorable, but there’s nothing extremely boring.

Bottom line: Most of the novelty is probably in the Otextures, but it’ still a fun little journey with adequate gameplay

@nicolas monti

What a fun finale. It’s a city, so that’s already a win. The start is crazy. It’s almost a race against time because as soon as you shoot, you better be well on your way to a rocket launcher or it may end badly. I also like how the buildings kept opening up and lowering to reveal more real estate to work with. This allowed a suitable reusing of the space that had already been traversed. Then there were three paths to three keys, all unique and all challenging. As is often the case, there’s a lot of jumping from building to building and interesting ways to get Doomguy from point A to point B. It’s fun from start to finish. The only thing I did not thoroughly enjoy was the very ending. I think Monti has had more unique boss fights before.

Bottom line: Fun city map with typical Monti shenanigans

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

What a fun finale. It’s a city, so that’s already a win. The start is crazy. It’s almost a race against time because as soon as you shoot, you better be well on your way to a rocket launcher or it may end badly. I also like how the buildings kept opening up and lowering to reveal more real estate to work with. This allowed a suitable reusing of the space that had already been traversed. Then there were three paths to three keys, all unique and all challenging. As is often the case, there’s a lot of jumping from building to building and interesting ways to get Doomguy from point A to point B. It’s fun from start to finish. The only thing I did not thoroughly enjoy was the very ending. I think Monti has had more unique boss fights before.

Bottom line: Fun city map with typical Monti shenanigans

Great review, I'll see what can I do for the final fight, I'll probably take out one cyber and add other ingredients. I won't make maps for a while since I'll focus on other stuff, but when inspiration /momentum got me I'll surely deliver again!

@CBM

download the .rar

You might think a prison map is pretty trite. Well, this was done 20 years ago and is actually more involved than what you sometimes see, which is doomguy starting in a cell and then a pretty normal map from there on. The prison complex feel is there. The odds being against you is certainly true. And you have to find secrets to get going, which I don’t mind. But it’s taken a little too far; it nullifies the fun a bit when any random wall could be a secret and there’s hardly any ammo or health to be found but most enemies are hitscanners. Appearance is also very basic.

Bottom line: Crude appearance and execution but not a bad idea

thanks for your feedback!

I really enjoyed your playthroug and you used the map in a clever way to discover the secrets as I intended back then also..

and you found all keys and did not need to jump! I am impressed! :)

yes the textures.. well I used an old dos based doom map editor back then and I just slapped some textures on it... I did hide many secrets intentionally since a prison should not have visible secrets

the SF is because I used the handle/name CBM at the time and I was not even aware of other doom mods so I had no source of ideers except vanilla doom 2

I had no internet back then :)

Another map tester suggested I remade this map in a more modern way and I might just do that.. I have another 20 year old map that is based on the concept of quake in hell

the map is vastly bigger than prison and it was almost too large for my pc back then...

here it is

it could work as a sequel to the prison map

be warned ... you will possibly need to use iddqd for the first few minutes.. and in the end....

it was designed as a 4 player coop slaughter fest in 1999

its called quake world

just as prison, it was a made for vanilla dos doom2 (map01) and just as prison, it was an experiment

and again.. 1999 ... no jump, cruching etc was expected back then... BUT... jumping could perhaps be a big help in this map

the map "expects" other coop players to distract the enemies near player 1, hence the possible need for a little cheat in the start of the map where player 1 begins

there ARE tons of secrets mainly like the ones in prison but they are not mandatory in this map and some of them might even be a bit easier to spot

well ok... the big inspiration was quake1 and the whole trench thing... but in better colors :D

sadly.. this experiment also has poor textures and alignments like prison had, not something I was thinking too much about back then... also... the editor handled textures poorly, no preview or other niceties back then

QWRLD2.rar

Edited by CBM

Hi, can you please play this one too?

It got a semi-official release last Saturday but it didn't have too much attention, you already played some of these maps long ago (especially E2M5 in it's first version and... E2M8 iirc), just looking for feedback on E2M4 and if something needs little changes here and there... Be careful because these levels are pretty long... Hope to not submerge you with wads to play!

11 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Hi, can you please play this one too?

It got a semi-official release last Saturday but it didn't have too much attention, you already played some of these maps long ago (especially E2M5 in it's first version and... E2M8 iirc), just looking for feedback on E2M4 and if something needs little changes here and there... Be careful because these levels are pretty long... Hope to not submerge you with wads to play!

He already played E2M7 too. (and E2M8 as you said) ;)

@Mk7_Centipede

Doomworld forum topic (project)

This is a unique map. A lot of it is optional. A lot of it is dark. A lot of it is spent in vents. The overall layout is clever, even if the tunnel system doesn’t have much distinction. What I find annoying about this map is that too many times I am asked to engage in combat with what is clearly insufficient ammo. That is not a good way to encourage the exploration necessary to get the most out of this map. I think a gimme berserk would go a long way or the chainsaw being much earlier or something.

Bottom line: Probably a polarizing map but besides ammo, it probably shouldn’t change much

@damned

Doomworld forum topic

You are under the gun immediately and it takes quite a while for it to let up. This map features a fun and clever layout, an excellent use of ammo and weaponry management early on, some of the best hell noble action I can remember in a while, and solid visuals. I think this is top 5 in the wad so far, maybe higher.

Bottom line: Strong layout, lots of fun

@R2card

Doomworld forum topic

I don’t know what’s up with this wad. I thought this one, like Map 04 but unlike 1-3, showed definite signs of amateurism in appearance, layout, and gameplay. It just wasn’t that fun. Visuals are big and boring. Combat, with some notable exceptions, is simplistic, mostly just firing away. The layout seemed too closed off. Despite the big window showing the outside, it felt like mostly completely discrete areas.

Bottom line: There are better maps in the wad

18 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: Strong layout, lots of fun

Pipicz is probably the most famous from the group because he contributed to Plutonia2 and created on his own 32map megawad Bloodstain and was awarded in 2016 Cacowards as Runner-up for it. Damn this bitch has also his Doomwiki page. :D
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Pavel_Tvrzník_(Pipicz)
I tried to convince also Gusta, but he is too busy with family and so. :(

@HAK3180:

thanks for the review, well... it has many of the same problems as the prison level, but I have decided to do a rewamped and much improved version of this map for my upcoming megawad :)

@Walter confetti

Doomworld forum topic (project)

Well, the opener is a pretty large map with some nice atmospheric touches. While most of it doesn’t remind you of Deimos Anomaly, it certainly screams Shores of Hell. It’s very good visually and has a natural progression, despite the big space. It’s not very difficult; it could perhaps be beefed up in a few spots, but for the most part it wasn’t boring. I somewhat question the plasma gun secret.

Bottom line: It succeeds at getting me in the mood for E2