Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2

Recommended Posts

@nicolas monti

 

 

A lot of the combat has to do with closets of various sizes opening up at key moments but they’re often not right in front of you, so it feels a bit more organic. They’re also packed with supplies, so it’s a smart way to manage health and ammo. And 10 secrets in a map of 119 enemies! They are probably of varying difficulty, and you probably won’t fare too well without finding at least a couple, but I’m fine with that, as long as a few are a little easier to find. Overall I rather enjoy it. Having just finished a megawad from the same wad author, I can see his style mostly in the visual department, so it’s good that this has its own identity.

 

Bottom line: Compact and tough, but fun and rewarding

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

 

A lot of the combat has to do with closets of various sizes opening up at key moments but they’re often not right in front of you, so it feels a bit more organic. They’re also packed with supplies, so it’s a smart way to manage health and ammo. And 10 secrets in a map of 119 enemies! They are probably of varying difficulty, and you probably won’t fare too well without finding at least a couple, but I’m fine with that, as long as a few are a little easier to find. Overall I rather enjoy it. Having just finished a megawad from the same wad author, I can see his style mostly in the visual department, so it’s good that this has its own identity.

 

Bottom line: Compact and tough, but fun and rewarding

Nice, I don't want to use the insta-lift, -something you don't like also- for monsters, as I didn't for those revies and the arachnothron, it feels weird. Also I textured the sides on purpose, I didn't want to hide those holes, because I don't want magic monsters coming out of the floor, my mistake was not making the pits deep enough so you got to see the monster, also I shoud make the noisy arachnotron deaf.

I don't usually use doors aside the key-locked ones, here they have only aesthetical purposes since door combat will be persistently avoided, making some closets on the other side to open (that might get old though, there are other ways).

The high secret count is a direct response lol but also something that served me for inspiration. Some secrets will be easy, some hard. There are shootables off course, but as usual the angles for them are tricky.

Share this post


Link to post

@Octillion

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

This map seems much more thought out than most of what’s before it. The progression, albeit a tiny bit convoluted at times, makes sense and is fun. Combat is also entertaining. There are likewise several spots where the exact monster selection and/or placement seems tailor-made for the present experience. Overall this is a big step up in quality.

 

Bottom line: I think this map manages to tell a decent story

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

@HAK3180  This map was a bit ambitious for me when I first started mapping. You can definitely see it's the "step up" from previous ones. Although mistakes here and there, it was my best back then.

 

Oh, that slope should've been 8 or 16 higher to not get stuck. Will fix that.

 

Yeah, pitfall does seem awkward.. Not sure if I will change it or keep it.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Octillion said:

@HAK3180  This map was a bit ambitious for me when I first started mapping. You can definitely see it's the "step up" from previous ones. Although mistakes here and there, it was my best back then.

 

Oh, that slope should've been 8 or 16 higher to not get stuck. Will fix that.

 

Yeah, pitfall does seem awkward.. Not sure if I will change it or keep it.

 

I enjoyed your map quite a bit - I'm a bit jealous of the cohesive outdoor areas - It's something I haven't really been able to master.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, people. I will be rather scarce for the next 10 days or so. I should get some videos done, but not at my normal rate and nothing until at least late Saturday. Not to worry, though; it's just a work thing that has come up.

Share this post


Link to post

@Roofi

 

 

I accidentally chose Ultra-Violence even though I had been playing these on Hurt Me Plenty. I like it. There are, of course, lots of Dead Simple clones, but this one is pretty fun at the beginning and then has a whole second wave of very high intensity and interesting dynamics/storylines. I especially like how inconveniently placed many of the supplies are.

 

Bottom line: Dead Simple + revenants + revenants + revenants

Share this post


Link to post

@damned

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

I like being in this map. The whole sea of nukage with different height buildings and some indoor and outdoor activity really worked for me. “Sense of place” is not really something that will break a map for me, but it can make a map, and it helps here. It also has a solid progression with some fun jumping moments. Unfortunately, there’s almost no challenge. The combat is pretty mindless other than the beginning. You mostly just open doors or go around corners and shoot what’s there without wondering where your cover is.

 

Bottom line: I want to like this map even more, but it needs some more dynamic combat

Share this post


Link to post

@Kuleshoff

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

There’s not much to say. It’s very short and very simple. It almost feels like an FPS tutorial map. It’s a few doors and a few monsters placed in front of you. It does have a nice, clean look and lots of slopes.

 

Bottom line: Seems nice visually. Gameplay leaves a bit to be desired.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Can you try my wad called WHYYYYYYY

 

It uses ultimate doom, It might not work in chocolate doom.

each map isnt to long, also map 3 contains a boss so have fun

 

WHYYYYYYYYY.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: I want to like this map even more, but it needs some more dynamic combat

 

Mathias often has pretty nice ideas for his maps, but he is often too lazy to put more effort to improve the visuals or balance the gameplay.
I hate this, because it is wasting of material. This map for example used only shawn2 nearly everywhere, so when I was doing some bugfixing, I've added more variances of silver/shawn textures here and there.
My touch is visible especially on Map23. :)

Share this post


Link to post

@nicolas monti (Sorry, this one was supposed to go up days ago)

 

There’s a little bit of more incidental combat at the beginning, but then it’s pretty choreographed and often in obvious trap situations. Some players may not like that setup, but I think the traps still manage to be original, scary, and effective. I like how space is used in different ways to have a major impact on the encounters. As usual, fun layout with great connections, some of which only exist as the map unfolds. As usual, visuals aren’t breathtaking, but they’re also not amateur.

 

Bottom line: A full map with never a dull moment

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti (Sorry, this one was supposed to go up days ago)

 

There’s a little bit of more incidental combat at the beginning, but then it’s pretty choreographed and often in obvious trap situations. Some players may not like that setup, but I think the traps still manage to be original, scary, and effective. I like how space is used in different ways to have a major impact on the encounters. As usual, fun layout with great connections, some of which only exist as the map unfolds. As usual, visuals aren’t breathtaking, but they’re also not amateur.

 

Bottom line: A full map with never a dull moment

Nice walkthrou!

You pressed the wall for the BFG but you came back too early too take notice. Also the red key trap is a bit screwed up because the way out from the specter pool is supposed to open afterwards only if you've already got the key, (that way out is just for allowing monsters to follow you if you left some alive) it didn't affect too much the video though, I'll fix that using the 2 event required trigger technique I use also for some monster closets when backtracking.

Map03 done I'll upload tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@PurpleNerd23, sorry, I generally don't play maps in which crouching or jumping is prominent or required.

Those I've been working to remove, there's only 2 spots where it would be needed, and those are secret areas.

Share this post


Link to post

@Octillion

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

Some people have good ideas but can’t execute them well. This map is not breathtaking and doesn’t offer too much in terms of innovative layout or progression, but some of these fights are just well executed so as to be memorable. I wish a little more attention had been given to ammo balance. I found a secret BFG, came in with 100 shells and a decent supply of cells, but still struggled and couldn’t even think about killing the cyberdemon.

 

Bottom line: Ammo balance probably needs some work but there are some good executions of ideas here.

Share this post


Link to post

@HAK3180 Heh, the far chaingunner never got me that much when I playtested it. Gotta love Doom's rng.

 

Yeah, this map was designed to force the player to chainsaw all the spectres/demons, otherwise you'll have no ammo. Maybe not the best of ideas...?

 

The cyberdemon is only kill-able if you find all the secrets, it was intended that way for UVMAX players.

 

I'll definitely update the health tho, that did look pretty annoying. (Still thinking about the ammo balance.)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@Roofi

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

Bottom line: it’s very dark but works for the most part

 

Thanks again !

 

Just for your information "Ivoirien" is a french word play which means  "Il voit rien" --> "He sees nothing". :p

Share this post


Link to post

@damned

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

I convinced myself this was not a Damned map even though it was very much his visual style and progression style. That was because the supply balance was quite different from previous maps, being much more generous, and because, unfortunately, I found the combat here a bit underwhelming a lot of the time. It’s a lot of light camping and simplistic setups. There are notable exceptions, but overall, you just don’t really feel afraid in this map.

 

Bottom line: Damned’s previous maps in the wad set the bar higher than I think this one reaches, but it’s quite good-looking, if nothing else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: Damned’s previous maps in the wad set the bar higher than I think this one reaches, but it’s quite good-looking, if nothing else.

Thanks. :) I just started to draw something without any plan, but the map didn't work well. There were two separated and inconsistent parts with different flow. So I've decided to split the map to two. This is the first part, later in the set there is map made from the other part. I work really slowly so I need to use every single part of design I make. :D
I am quite surprised, that this map is that generous on supplies... and you haven't found any secret...

Share this post


Link to post

BLACK TOMB

 

An all Vanilla asset WAD inspired by Blood and SIGIL.

 

Dark Claustrophobic environments with a survival horror bent. 

 

It is not to terribly long.

 

GZdoom is the only one I tested it on and it runs fine.

 

You do not need Freelook jumping or crouching.

 

1773812708_DOOM2HellonEarth2019-10-13_11-00-40.jpg.25dfd7bf21f6ad731fc240836fb74856.jpg

Edited by Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur : buggered up the link

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×