Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

16 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

This map is very atmospheric, which I haven’t really seen been a staple of Monti’s style. I was constantly scared, and that vibe was maintained by the low-density waves of monsters. You always felt you were being hunted down, as opposed to all-out war.

Bottom line: Just a really fun map with a lot of clever antics

Great review, for some reason the real name of the map "woods of valerie" doesn't display, I'll check that, maybe the string is too long..

I take the note about hiding the dummy sectors, I usually do, I just forgot this time :/

the pillars outside are meant to be trees, vanilla trees if you like :)

Edited by nicolas monti

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Um, what exactly do we mean by this?

It’s impossible to finish the level and go to the clear screen go see stats and stuff. Think of it as E1M8 but you never actually “win”. It’s meant to be a fun and goofy little level.

Edited by UndeadRyker

Heya HAK3180, I recently finished a new map, if you'd like to give it a try I'll drop a link here.

It's about 30-60 minutes, average difficulty, intended port is GZDoom (more info in the topic)

Hey there, I'd very much appreciate feedback on my first map. It takes roughly 20 minutes to complete, and the second half is pretty much a slaughtermap. I'd recommend GZDoom for the best experience, saving between fights, and maybe try HMP instead of UV if you're not into slaughtermaps.

@Arbys550

Doomworld forum topic

I think the cave system’s intricacies are pretty well implemented per se, but I don’t think the combat therein is all that exciting. I do like the little setpieces and traps, but the spiders that are just there waiting for you to snipe them easily just seem to slow the pace unnecessarily. I also think there could be a few more visual and perhaps architectural distinctions to the different parts of the map; the greyish white rock is quite dominant.

Bottom line: A cavernous maze of spiders

@HAK3180

Thanks for the playthrough!

yes, this is not slaughter at all. harder stuff starts map07. About the start 1 lap thing, yes, you are supposed to run around the map before the finish door closes.

Overall, im surprised you didnt tear this one to shreds because in my opinion it is by far the worst in the wad.

About the visual monotony, the map is (supposed to be) shaped like a spiderweb and i wanted the grey to dominate because in my mind it was like the walls of the cave were made of web filaments or something. So thats why all the enemies are spiders.

@Roofi

Doomworld forum topic

There are some sticky moments, especially the beginning and potentially the revenants, but this map has so much ammo and space that most of the combat is not going to be a problem. A cyberdemon is guarding the nonsecret BFG, but he’s easy to cheese or peek-a-boo to death. And since there’s not really much to take in in terms of scenery or atmosphere, this one isn’t my favorite.

Bottom line: Seems like way too many supplies

@Octillion

Doomworld forum topic

I like the overall flow of this map. It’s a wide map without much depth, so you do a lot of lateral traveling inside and out. I don’t know that the encounters always work, but there’s good variety and definitely some tough moments.

Bottom line: Nice idea with the layout

17 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Roofi

Doomworld forum topic

There are some sticky moments, especially the beginning and potentially the revenants, but this map has so much ammo and space that most of the combat is not going to be a problem. A cyberdemon is guarding the nonsecret BFG, but he’s easy to cheese or peek-a-boo to death. And since there’s not really much to take in in terms of scenery or atmosphere, this one isn’t my favorite.

Bottom line: Seems like way too many supplies

It was my very first map I made in 2016 . I included it in the pack without new correction , mainly because of nostalgia. I like to  see the many flaws in my old maps.

Basically, this map was supposed to be much harder like map 15, but I couldn't finish it, so I added a lot of ammunition and health (the only correction I made 3 years ago).

This map illustrates my first experience with doombuilder.

Ah, the red key was after the blocked area at the 3d bridge. It lowers down from the switch at 30:45 (Foreshadowed by the textures. weak choice, I know.)

The red key switch then raises a bridge that leads to the yellow key door outside. (It also opens an ambush of hit scanners, revs and demons. But you get a lot of ammo for the last fight.) That jump wasn't intended at all lol.

The whole point of the last fight was to make the two cybers clear the entire area with infighting. (Kind of a tricks & traps thing.) I made the windows open for the cacos to come out so it doesn't become a door grind. but yeah, still grindy.

And yes, I did struggle with deciding the monster placement in this one. The pain elemental section in particular was thrown randomly.

Oh, the skybox is actually done by the camera trick. I didn't know about mapinfo stuff when working on this one.

Edit: Oh yeah, make sure you have the final version of the wad. Otherwise, map 15 will be missing. (v1.2.)

Edited by Octillion

@UndeadRyker

Doomworld forum topic

We’ll start with the not so good: Map 02. It’s just a little survival gimmick, arcade even. Not really my thing because there’s not much strategy involved. If there is, you know it will be in vain ultimately. Lots of games are like that, e.g. Tetris or Pinball, but I just didn’t really appreciate it here. Map 01 is nice though. Creepy and dark with a custom monster I actually didn’t mind, it really does create a scary horror environment, and I like the full circle nature of the map’s unfolding.

Bottom line: Well, Map 01 is kinda cool

@reflex17

Doomworld forum topic

I’m not too big on Star Wars, certainly not its video games, so any major nods/allusions were lost on me, but I still enjoyed the space that was created here. It felt very cinematic with its nonconforming geometry and large spaces. The action in the large spaces was quite exciting, even if not too threatening. However, it was the other sections, which basically amounted to hallways, that brought this map down a little. The combat therein was just too simplistic. Usually it was perfectly plausible to take your time, switch to berserk, and punch everything out without any worry whatsoever. Demons and hell knights were probably the main culprits in this regard. I also thought the ammo was too generous, especially the cells. You get a free plasma gun early, and with the subsequent pickups, you can easily bail yourself out of all the remotely sticky spots.  

Bottom line: Interesting spaces and fun progression but some parts just too easy/simple

Hey thanks for recording your playthrough, I agree with pretty much everything you had to say as I watched the video. My first idea was a small map and I think the easy fight sections are a result of overextending my plans, but yeah the issues are fixable. I had originally planned to include some monster spawns from behind the player at certain spots, so that's something that could go in. In your playthrough the berserk was used more than I did during testing, and you're right because of the openness of the first few fights it makes it more tempting to use it a lot. Something I should've anticipated for sure. 

Since I didn't do decorate or dehacked, the Berserk was put in early so the player could punch the Cyberdemon while he was being crushed - there's a few things that can happen there, and once in awhile he can get out, so I wanted to make sure there was a way to handle it. In retrospect I agree with the computer map and plasma ammo as well, so your feedback has been very helpful. Thanks again for taking the time to record and share your thoughts.

map07 and map08 are done!

map07 is my dead simple map. It's very large and confusing and involves some backtracking. It's also kind of hard, but you should be okay on UV.

map08 I went a little overboard with the difficulty. It's really hard. I don't know how good you are but you may have to step down in difficulty.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nb0gu5odgo29t10/boomhouse.wad?dl=0

Yay, thanks for playing! It looks like you had some fun. In my opinion, overall my entire mod was very gimmicky so I was a little nervous throughout the entire time watching your video. It was impressive how you hit the switch, I considered keeping it so it could be a viable speedrunning strategy but I moved it anyway for appearance reasons. I agree with you entirely on MAP02, but that's how I wanted the story to end for now. Thank you very much for testing and giving your thoughts on my map!

@eirc (When I pause at 20:15, go ahead and skip to 21:51.)

Doomworld forum topic

Kudos to eirc for attempting a sizable slaughter map right out of the blocks and not botching it. Slaughter maps are quite dependent on good gameplay, good combat, and that’s often not a mapping skill the less experienced are focused on, instead directing their attention to appearance. But this is a good start. Most of the fights are well thought out, even if somewhat lacking in creativity. Visuals are fine, certainly for a debut. I think what could use some work is interesting playable environment. A lot of the fighting took place in flat arena-like spaces with just a few cages and/platforms for variety.

Bottom line: I think a solid slaughter debut

Hey mate thanks for doing this, your feedback was great and you made a lot of good points I can focus on improving! Especially about the arenas being essentially big rectangles, I only noticed it after people started commenting on it so I'll be more mindful about that next time. I do have some ideas on how to apply it on this map which I'll do if I manage to stick to it in the long run and package it in a multilevel wad later.

Again thanks for this, and you got my hopes up again since you seemed to enjoy the map. I was getting super worried about that because I'm getting lots of feedback of people getting brutalized by the later fights.

@damned

Doomworld forum topic

This map is great. Let’s start with the not so good. I don’t really like the pain elemental release. They are all the way across the map and it’s probably going to be an ammo suck cleanup situation any way you slice it. I also think there are not enough ways to escape the nukage should you fall in. I also think a map like this is a great opportunity to house 5 or more secrets, but there was essentially only one. But this is an excellent map, and I had a great time. Great frantic start. Combat throughout doesn’t really let down or let up. But it’s the scenery and the progression that I really love.  

Bottom line: Perhaps my favorite of the 16 I’ve played

You haven't tried to find the secret exit to 32 ;) Unfortunately it is not set as secret, because I didn't know how to implement it, but there definitely is the secret exit.

@damned, well, I would have at least tried if I had known! I just played very quickly again and found it before I was even looking for it.

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I just played very quickly again and found it before I was even looking for it.

Yeah. The secret exit is pretty obvious after you will use the standard exit, because you can see more clearly through the exit wall. 
It is not as gimmicky as MAP31 often is, but I've already did my Wolfenstein map for Zones of Fear so I want to do something else. I've put this as secret map, because I wanted to do something like platformer and in general those kind of maps are not too popular between doomers. So I am happy you liked it. :)
Also there are not many ways how to get out of acid, because I don't like teleporters and lifts has to be only near the start. Otherwise it would ruin the progress through the map. 

@Roofi

Doomworld forum topic

There’s not much to it. Texture choices are odd. Progression and monster choices are simplistic. There seems to be a red key that doesn’t do anything.

Bottom line: the product of an early encounter with Doom Builder

hey im new to the doom community, however i been working on levels which i would to love to get your reactions too.
would be cool if you did a playthrough of the these 7 levels i have done for doom 2.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/izukqiqo6hnlopf/judswad2019first7levels.wad/file

might take roughly about an hour for you to play through all levels, i would recommend ultra violence difficulty too

Edited by Aku

@Aku, please always, in this thread and anywhere else at all, specify which source port your map was tested with.

@kknot5889, yes, I discovered this offscreen later. I was too focused on the automap shape, methinks.

Hi HAK - thanks for your feedback to people in the community! I'd love some thoughts on my NaNoWADMo episode "Keeper 3" here - It's a mapset/weaponset/monster set intended for GZDoom, with a lot of custom stuff in some fairly traditional map environments. It was designed with freelook in mind, but I don't know if it's ever absolutely required. There are six maps that can be played in any order - I would guess that the mapset is about an hour and a half long but feel free to play as much or as little as you can stand.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Aku, please always, in this thread and anywhere else at all, specify which source port your map was tested with.

well i been using gzdoom to test my maps(all levels are possible to be finished with a pistol start).

Hello again. Got a new WAD that could use some love if you've got the time!

Texturing came out a bit rough in places. Got kinda vapor locked as to what I could do to go along well with the brick texture. But I think I made out alright with the gameplay.