Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Hey if you could play an old wad of mine next.

It's only 1 map and it's short.

Table of Contents

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

And without warning, you are thrust right into Knee-Deep in the Dead. I like that this wad starts these maps in the teens; then there’s no need to ease you in with little Hangar-sized introductions. Right away you get ~140 monsters and barons, even a secret plasma gun. The map is compact even while it covers some space. The windows and outdoor area also contribute to the sense of size. It looks right and I think the enemies and traps are pretty good. Ammo balance might be a little off. You really aren’t given many shells or rockets, and the monster count is fairly high for this kind of affair, plus there are ~4 barons of hell. However, find two secrets in particular (plasma gun + 200 cells) and this map becomes a breeze.

Bottom line: “Welcome Back” is an apt title, and a warm welcome it is.

Edited by HAK3180

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

I didn’t love some of the uses of hitscanners but this map employs the monsters pretty well with, again, more Doom 2-feeling traps, even a couple mini-hordes. The abundance of rockets bring the difficulty down, but either way it’s a fun navigating the intricacies of yet another clever layout.

Bottom line: Another great layout leaves you no choice but to appreciate the level

@Steve D

Doomworld forum topic

The ending is a legitimate map, but it is bossy. It was nothing groundbreaking, but I thought it did a nice job of providing some challenge with familiar settings. The flow of this map is hub-like. One of the areas is the final boss area, and it seemed to become accessible before I was done exploring the others, so I’m not sure how that would work in terms of balance, but the final path does give you rocket launcher and BFG. As usual, the visual scheme is pretty big spaces, sometimes slightly underdetailed. I like the closure of the map. Not only does this map start with one, but the whole wad basically starts with a cyberdemon sighting, and the first part of this map was, to me, the easiest to remember parts of an earlier map, in this case, M1.

Bottom line: A full map but a full boss fight.

You seem to give pretty thorough feedback and know your way around Doom, but you've definitely got a Mini Doom shaped hole in your life. GZDoom and The Ultimate Doom are the order of the day - I believe you may even be fine without mouselook, assuming autoaim plays nicely with the interactive portals in E4. If not, you still won't need it for the first three maps/episodes.

@Finnthemapmaker

Doomworld forum topic

Nothing really stands out here, good or bad. There’s some nice attention to visual detail in things light lighting and views of unplayable areas. There are also some spots that feel a bit lazy, like the sudden implementation of many of the traps and the post red key teleporter. All in all there’s room for growth but this is nothing to be ashamed of

Bottom line: mostly decent stuff with some minor annoying quirks

@Phobus

Doomworld forum topic

It may be Boom, but it’s “strict” as far as being true to E1. No plasma, no lost souls, no cacodemons. Just barons as the final boss. The random geometry is there. The interactive secrets are there, though I’ll be honest and say just four was a little disappointing. The style of combat is there: incidental fodder and not-so-gotchaish traps. Well done.

Bottom line: It is exactly what it claims to be

Thanks for playing! Glad you enjoyed it. You're definitely right - I was very pleased to see you tease out the way outside piecing together the clues. The UV on this map is perhaps a little harsh for E1, seeing how much damage you took early on. Hopefully that's not a deal-breaker!

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

Nothing special here, just classic E1-age. Again I don’t love the use of barons, but the rest is a fun little grind through tight spaces. The progression here is more guided, even with forks here and there; over half the map is getting to the red key.

Bottom line: a somewhat more linear Knee-Deep-in the Dead map

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

The first half is ominous and empty. It does the job of getting you anxious. The second half is well-designed. There’s enough space to maneuver, but you can easily get yourself in a sticky situation, and it’s hard to get quality BFG shots off. I also like how it would still be a challenge to try to skip the big fight.

Bottom line: harsh, but fun

I promise I'm not meeting up with Austinado, but I'll also take a short hiatus starting tomorrow. I'll get two more up before I go and then nothing until Wednesday night. 

The order in which I put up maps is pretty strictly first come, first served. Almost every exception is simply due to map length, which can mean long upload times. If it becomes evident that I have forgotten about your map, I probably have. I will not deny a request without saying so, and I've still not made it to double digits denials anyway. So I apologize to @GhostPlayer. It seems I just forgot to add your last two maps to my queue. They will be first up when I return.

Also, I rarely even notice the number, but I saw the other day I had 666 Youtube videos...

14 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I promise I'm not meeting up with Austinado, but I'll also take a short hiatus starting tomorrow. I'll get two more up before I go and then nothing until Wednesday night. 

The order in which I put up maps is pretty strictly first come, first served. Almost every exception is simply due to map length, which can mean long upload times. If it becomes evident that I have forgotten about your map, I probably have. I will not deny a request without saying so, and I've still not made it to double digits denials anyway. So I apologize to @GhostPlayer. It seems I just forgot to add your last two maps to my queue. They will be first up when I return.

Also, I rarely even notice the number, but I saw the other day I had 666 Youtube videos...

What would be the criteria for denying maps? Obvious terrywads for sure, but difficulty wise is it anything goes? Because insane_gazebo did a great couple of maps you could test out... :p

@Magicana, besides things mentioned in the original post, grounds for denial are extreme length, extreme puzzle, extreme difficulty, etc., especially when such elements are combined. If it's hard and normal length, I will play on easy and/or savescum my way through and/or cheat as needed, but I'm not playing a 5000-monster slaughter map or a three-hour puzzle.

I should also note that a policy I have is only to do maps requested by the wad author him/herself, unless the map is part of a project and the project lead requests it.

34 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Magicana, besides things mentioned in the original post, grounds for denial are extreme length, extreme puzzle, extreme difficulty, etc., especially when such elements are combined. If it's hard and normal length, I will play on easy and/or savescum my way through and/or cheat as needed, but I'm not playing a 5000-monster slaughter map or a three-hour puzzle.

I should also note that a policy I have is only to do maps requested by the wad author him/herself, unless the map is part of a project and the project lead requests it.

Fair enough on all those - I'm unlikely to ever hit any of those problems.

The insane_gazebo one was just because I want to watch someone else play Sunder so I know how to beat the maps ;) - The TAS runs on Youtube aren't very helpful :(

11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

The first half is ominous and empty. It does the job of getting you anxious. The second half is well-designed. There’s enough space to maneuver, but you can easily get yourself in a sticky situation, and it’s hard to get quality BFG shots off. I also like how it would still be a challenge to try to skip the big fight.

Bottom line: harsh, but fun

Thanks buddy, I had that same problem with the map07 dead exit, I had to activate "dead player can exit the level" in the boom menu, not sure why.. it was supposed to happen anyway, I'll find the solution surely, old vanilla wads use that trick so it have to work somehow.

@Phobus

Doomworld forum topic

You can definitely spot the allusions in this one, but the map still has its own cohesive progress. I liked that barons weren’t overused just because it’s E2 now. In fact, only in one spot did I think Doomguy was asked to do a lot with not so much weaponry, but even that wasn’t too bad. The only thing I thought was missing was any significant use of cement textures.

Bottom line: Successful E2 condensation

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

You could take out 10 secrets and I would thoroughly enjoy this map. It’s a fun tech base with lots of interconnected paths and classic Doom action everywhere you turn. Unfortunately, there’s a massive sidequest that you assume leads to the secret exit. For me it led to nothing until I did it the second time, when it lead to a secret-within-the-whole-secret-sidequest BFG. So it was frustrating to play so much map that felt meaningless. But at the end of the day, the normal exit is clearly marked and easy to find, so you can call it quits at any time.

Bottom line: Cool sprawling tech base, but I think too much is optional and not rewarding enough

Thanks for coming back for E2! I tried to build the map around the idea of a boss arena that builds and unfolds as you go. I'm not entirely convinced it worked, mind, but your playing experience was much as envisioned and you picked up on the homages readily. I was glad to see you play! Looking forward to seeing you take on E3 whenever you get the chance.

On 8/18/2019 at 4:21 AM, HAK3180 said:

I promise I'm not meeting up with Austinado, but I'll also take a short hiatus starting tomorrow. 

LoL !

@GhostPlayer

Doomworld forum topic

I like the way GhostPlayer uses textures. Nothing jumps out at you, but if you just take a moment to take it in, the aesthetic appeal is there. Unfortunately, this became another grind pretty early. Withholding powerful weapons does not always make a map harder. It didn’t here; it just made it a grind. And there were at least three megaspheres and two soulspheres in a map of barely 100 enemies.

Bottom line: Nice looking map, but the thing balance pretty much spells no danger and no excitement.

@GhostPlayer

Doomworld forum topic

The beginning is rough. It’s fun and dynamic, but I’m not a player who wants to utilize so much infighting. A simple chaingun would go a long way. After that, the balance is just fine. There are more rockets than you need, but the space is tight enough that you have to be careful. The monsters come in numbers and your best hope of survival is often finding a big enough space to start rocketing. Progression is a little bit weird but has some clever moments and shouldn’t be confusing.

Bottom line: I hope the rest of the wad plays more like this.

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

I don’t really like maps that isolate the fist/berserk fist, so I didn’t really like this, though it does seem to have put some thought into how to make a Tyson map doable and challenging. I also like how the episode shifts are subtle, yet definite. Again, there’s a distinct and clever layout, but I think the secret exit is unintentionally E3M6-able.

Bottom line: Well, if you like punching…

@Phobus

Doomworld forum topic

The damaging floor is appropriately annoying. The space is largely open in some areas, smaller in others. There are some little puzzles and apparently some significant optional content. I know it’s mini, but the map felt a little small for me, like it needed one more main area or something. Overall, it’s a solid representation.

Bottom line: a solid mini Inferno

Thanks for playing E3! The blue key door is indeed in a secret and, if found, would've given you a bit of a Warrens experience, which may have satisfied your want for another area (albeit a copy/paste with added BFG and threat). In the room with the skull pillars, there's a small gap on one of the sides of a pillar facing a wall (that doesn't already serve as a lift) - a shoot switch in there opens up what you were looking for. Looks like you had a pretty good go of it and I look forward to you wrapping it up!

On 8/19/2019 at 12:28 AM, nicolas monti said:

Thanks buddy, I had that same problem with the map07 dead exit, I had to activate "dead player can exit the level" in the boom menu, not sure why.. it was supposed to happen anyway, I'll find the solution surely, old vanilla wads use that trick so it have to work somehow.

I remember in Kama Sutra I think it was, there was a map with a death exit that had a ton of chained barrels, and the last one knocked a visible voodoo doll across the exit line. That might work for what you are doing.

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

I don’t really like maps that isolate the fist/berserk fist, so I didn’t really like this, though it does seem to have put some thought into how to make a Tyson map doable and challenging. I also like how the episode shifts are subtle, yet definite. Again, there’s a distinct and clever layout, but I think the secret exit is unintentionally E3M6-able.

Bottom line: Well, if you like punching…

Nice, I'll protect that switch, how to get there is very simple, not going to spoil it myself though, just think what's the point for lowering that planet panel close to the ending. Also no more tyson maps planned for this mapset I promess :)

1 hour ago, Magicana said:

I remember in Kama Sutra I think it was, there was a map with a death exit that had a ton of chained barrels, and the last one knocked a visible voodoo doll across the exit line. That might work for what you are doing.

I figured out why it didn't work, the room was maybe too small just to make the player trigger the line, also changed some barrels location to propell the player forward. One or both things mentioned were causing the problem.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you played a map I recently made (attached to linked post):

Doom 1, low-detail/old-school, moderate difficulty, takes 20-30 minutes. It's only my 2nd map but I think it has decent layout, thing placement, and secrets.

@Phobus, I actually played it again shortly after to try to find the BFG. Enjoyed the Warrens nod

@nicolas monti, I turned to Doom Builder and couldn't figure it out. I determined it must have to do with 

Spoiler

some sort of movement gimmick/parkour (the window really jumped out at me)

but I still couldn't figure it out. Then, with your hint, I tried again. I now realize I didn't work it out because all my subsequent secret hunting attempts had been

Spoiler

tntem runs.

I'm not a big fan of that type of thing, but if there's a time to do it, I reckon it's the secret map access.