Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

And without warning, you are thrust right into Knee-Deep in the Dead. I like that this wad starts these maps in the teens; then there’s no need to ease you in with little Hangar-sized introductions. Right away you get ~140 monsters and barons, even a secret plasma gun. The map is compact even while it covers some space. The windows and outdoor area also contribute to the sense of size. It looks right and I think the enemies and traps are pretty good. Ammo balance might be a little off. You really aren’t given many shells or rockets, and the monster count is fairly high for this kind of affair, plus there are ~4 barons of hell. However, find two secrets in particular (plasma gun + 200 cells) and this map becomes a breeze.

Bottom line: “Welcome Back” is an apt title, and a warm welcome it is.

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

I didn’t love some of the uses of hitscanners but this map employs the monsters pretty well with, again, more Doom 2-feeling traps, even a couple mini-hordes. The abundance of rockets bring the difficulty down, but either way it’s a fun navigating the intricacies of yet another clever layout.

Bottom line: Another great layout leaves you no choice but to appreciate the level

@Steve D

Doomworld forum topic

The ending is a legitimate map, but it is bossy. It was nothing groundbreaking, but I thought it did a nice job of providing some challenge with familiar settings. The flow of this map is hub-like. One of the areas is the final boss area, and it seemed to become accessible before I was done exploring the others, so I’m not sure how that would work in terms of balance, but the final path does give you rocket launcher and BFG. As usual, the visual scheme is pretty big spaces, sometimes slightly underdetailed. I like the closure of the map. Not only does this map start with one, but the whole wad basically starts with a cyberdemon sighting, and the first part of this map was, to me, the easiest to remember parts of an earlier map, in this case, M1.

Bottom line: A full map but a full boss fight.

You seem to give pretty thorough feedback and know your way around Doom, but you've definitely got a Mini Doom shaped hole in your life. GZDoom and The Ultimate Doom are the order of the day - I believe you may even be fine without mouselook, assuming autoaim plays nicely with the interactive portals in E4. If not, you still won't need it for the first three maps/episodes.

@Finnthemapmaker

Doomworld forum topic

Nothing really stands out here, good or bad. There’s some nice attention to visual detail in things light lighting and views of unplayable areas. There are also some spots that feel a bit lazy, like the sudden implementation of many of the traps and the post red key teleporter. All in all there’s room for growth but this is nothing to be ashamed of

Bottom line: mostly decent stuff with some minor annoying quirks

@Phobus

Doomworld forum topic

It may be Boom, but it’s “strict” as far as being true to E1. No plasma, no lost souls, no cacodemons. Just barons as the final boss. The random geometry is there. The interactive secrets are there, though I’ll be honest and say just four was a little disappointing. The style of combat is there: incidental fodder and not-so-gotchaish traps. Well done.

Bottom line: It is exactly what it claims to be

Thanks for playing! Glad you enjoyed it. You're definitely right - I was very pleased to see you tease out the way outside piecing together the clues. The UV on this map is perhaps a little harsh for E1, seeing how much damage you took early on. Hopefully that's not a deal-breaker!