• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

This map is not very different from what comes before it, so it’s a touch odd to see it as a secret map, but it is a good map, heavy on exploration. It seems that no matter which way you go, there’s another fork. You never backtrack and eventually you find a connection to familiar territory. Still, it seems to be balanced well – I wasn’t able to cheese anything because of the direction I came, nor was I ever health or ammo deprived. One thing that might make a map like this more purpose-driven would be to show the exit earlier and make the puzzle getting to it.

Bottom line: very fun sprawling nukage tech base

Edited by HAK3180

On 8/21/2019 at 11:35 PM, HAK3180 said:

@GhostPlayer

Doomworld forum topic

I like the way GhostPlayer uses textures. Nothing jumps out at you, but if you just take a moment to take it in, the aesthetic appeal is there. Unfortunately, this became another grind pretty early. Withholding powerful weapons does not always make a map harder. It didn’t here; it just made it a grind. And there were at least three megaspheres and two soulspheres in a map of barely 100 enemies.

Bottom line: Nice looking map, but the thing balance pretty much spells no danger and no excitement.

the weapons are already in an early face, but add more monster and take out some megabytes. Regarding the difficulty, I like it to be extremely difficult (it is not the case with this wad that I want to make it fun and not frustrating) that is why it is very difficult for me to control monster / ammunition / life. The decoration I want to mix old school with the new school. I hope it goes well xD

On 8/21/2019 at 11:39 PM, HAK3180 said:

@GhostPlayer

Doomworld forum topic

The beginning is rough. It’s fun and dynamic, but I’m not a player who wants to utilize so much infighting. A simple chaingun would go a long way. After that, the balance is just fine. There are more rockets than you need, but the space is tight enough that you have to be careful. The monsters come in numbers and your best hope of survival is often finding a big enough space to start rocketing. Progression is a little bit weird but has some clever moments and shouldn’t be confusing.

Bottom line: I hope the rest of the wad plays more like this.

Increase the number of monster and take out the excess ammo. When I have 5 levels prepared I will take out another demo so that it can be tested and there will be no demos yet until the end of the wad. Your comments were extremely useful and helped me a lot, because if it were for me I would continue to make them very, very difficult >.< My english is sad u.u

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Phobus, I actually played it again shortly after to try to find the BFG. Enjoyed the Warrens nod

@nicolas monti, I turned to Doom Builder and couldn't figure it out. I determined it must have to do with 

Reveal hidden contents

some sort of movement gimmick/parkour (the window really jumped out at me)

but I still couldn't figure it out. Then, with your hint, I tried again. I now realize I didn't work it out because all my subsequent secret hunting attempts had been

Reveal hidden contents

tntem runs.

I'm not a big fan of that type of thing, but if there's a time to do it, I reckon it's the secret map access.

Spoiler

Use the archvile

@Worm

Doomworld forum topic

Sight lines is indeed the name of the game. It makes for a crowded feeling map of much interconnection, sometimes visual only, sometimes physical. The action is great. The one spot I thought I would skip a lot of content ended up with me back in that area wishing I had killed more of the imps ahead of time. There were a number of clever moments like that – overall a great use of so few monster types. I’d appreciate more bullets and more armor and perhaps a few easier secrets. I like a good puzzle every now and then, but this map has 11 secrets and I found none (maybe half of one) without computer area map help, which is at the very end.

Bottom line: minor issues in a fun, varied tech base

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

It’s well textured, but it’s a little bit boring looking, probably in large part due to being vanilla. But you don’t have to worry about that because it’s a really fun map. I think the concept is somewhat similar to The Living End. It’s pretty linear, but you keep accessing “new” areas and fighting your way through quasi-setpieces. I love it.

Bottom line: Some of these maps need a little polish, but the ones like this tell me this is eventually going to be a well acclaimed set

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

It’s well textured, but it’s a little bit boring looking, probably in large part due to being vanilla. But you don’t have to worry about that because it’s a really fun map. I think the concept is somewhat similar to The Living End. It’s pretty linear, but you keep accessing “new” areas and fighting your way through quasi-setpieces. I love it.

Bottom line: Some of these maps need a little polish, but the ones like this tell me this is eventually going to be a well acclaimed set

Going to watch this at my girlfriend house tomorrow, I'm so poor I ran out of internet on my phone ;) this is the last version so far, with E3 complete and minor things corrected /updated

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gch0v7rx7sfpb74/massexe300.wad/file

On the level of detail I think E4 will be more traditional in that regard, with the doom2 textures at hand, not very detailed but a little more candy to the eye.

11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

secrets

Thanks for the playthrough and comments. It was cool to see that you had the right idea with the plasma secret. I tried to create several "things lining up nicely" moments in this map and that was one of them. For the rad suit secret you investigated at the end, there is a discolored patch of floor in front of it that was supposed to be the hint, maybe I should tweak that.

@Phobus

Doomworld forum topic

I found this map to lack some of the intricacies of Thy Flesh Consumed. I wasn’t expecting a full rehash of Against Thee Wickedly, but I guess I also wasn’t expecting such a simple layout. The map is pretty unforgiving early on – monsters shooting at you from long range and not a ton of health. That’s fine, but I also thought the ammo was a bit short. However, once you got either the plasma gun or the BFG, and only the latter is secret, it’s practically a breeze. I had to waste cells so I could get one last pack because I wasn’t coming back to that area. And I didn’t even come close to emptying them out the rest of the map. The secrets may just be too powerful. A backpack plus one or two bulk cells in one and a BFG plus some cells in another. I also thought the appearance here was a little bland – GSTONE and lava dominated in a noticeable way. Now, this map really ain’t so bad. I do like how the secrets I found were implemented. I also think numerous E4 maps are represented. I like the use of distant monsters, usually imps. The boss fight would probably be a lot more fun without BFG+600 cells.

Bottom line: For me, it’s the weakest link, but still does what it set out to do

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a little bit of a puzzle but has nothing to do with switches, just connecting the paths to the goals. I like it a lot. It’s also nice to see a distinct character in this wad, or perhaps in this wad author’s style. That style is generally compact maps with interesting progression that feels rewarding, whether it’s somewhat puzzle centric or not. No complaints about combat. Ammo is pretty good. Monster selection is fine.

Bottom line: yet again an interactive and smart layout with fun semi-puzzle gameplay

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

This one is very E1 besides a few barons and lost souls and the ending which has more Shores of Hell shading. I like it. It starts linear and then there’s lots to explore but you have to manage your suits. I found secret hunting fun in this map, although most were pretty easy with the computer area map. They were also too rewarding, especially the big plasma gun secret. I thought the monsters were used pretty well. Only one or two annoying barons; not much grind otherwise.

Bottom line: another fun sprawling tech base

Thanks for making it through! Ironically, that was one of the harder maps to balance, because I had to take into account people missing the rocket launcher, chaingun, plasma rifle and/or BFG before making it through the yellow key door. The strange outcome of a simple, two-prong layout with a central arena and interconnecting windows is that you can skip lots of the map and still get to the end. If you don't get the rocket launcher, you will need a plasma weapon, though. You did pretty well on finding the secrets (cheating aside!) and were very conservative with your plasma, leading to massive oversupply by the end... Which, as you noted, is kind of how E4 goes anyway. I enjoyed your insight into Doom and had fun as you picked out the nods to the originals throughout.

To be honest, the mirror room was a gimmick for the sake of having one, so your views there were very fair. An experiment I'll probably not repeat in that form, to be honest!

Hi again @HAK3180, I finally got back into some Doom mapping after exhausting all my mapping energies making Nanopineapple last year. Your playtesting help on that rocked, by the way. Thank you much!

Would you consider a playthrough of the new map? It's on the harder side, but I'm sure that you can get through it.

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

This really doesn’t feel like a slaughter map or extreme challenge map, but you spend a lot of time shooting rockets and plasma. And it works. It’s still a challenge and a lot of fun without being spammy or grindy. As usual, the layout has an understated brilliance due to its organic design.

Bottom line: A really good setup for a lot of high powered weaponry

Hi @HAK3180

I decided to go back to mapping and that's what I came up with during the last 2 weeks:

http://jaceknowak.net/storage/doom/hydrogen.wad

It's a classic old-school map, a bit in E1 visual style. I wanted to make the encounters challenging but not frustrating. I did a lot of playtesting myself in an attempt to balance the map on all 3 skill levels... and the more I play it the less I can tell how easy or how hard it is... So I thought - maybe I can ask for some feedback?

Some basic info:
Game: Doom 2.
Format: limit-removing (tested in Crispy and ZDoom)
Designed for classic gameplay.
Please do NOT jump.
Freelook is allowed but not recommended.
Exploration is encouraged!

Approximate play length: 30 minutes
All difficulties are implemented.

I would be grateful if you give it a try and I appreciate any feedback!

@meapineapple

Part 1

Part 2

Doomworld forum topic

This map is very orchestrated in what you do and how you fight the fights. So there’s not a lot of exploring to do or “incidental” combat. The map is pretty straightforward with most of the action leaning toward the setpiece variety. Some of that action is quite grindy and boring, but most of it is pretty exciting, two big fights in particular. Visually, it’s not eye candy, but it’s nothing terrible, and the level of cohesion is surprising considering how different some of the areas are.

Bottom line: It’s a combat-driven map and does pretty well as such, though it can be a bit grindy sometimes.

Latest version of Mass extinction up to map25, maps20-23 with a few minor optimizations suggested by other playtesters. I still couldn't see your last video, I'll try tomorrow, I'm happy you enjoy the maps, I'm keeping a moderate monster count and avoiding the maps being too large, I guess most of us enjoy maps like that.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mgry4le6musyvif/massexe320.wad/file

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

The early ammo drought is not fun. The layout makes it not feasible to push through to the big guns/ammo supplies. You just have to camp your way to a decent situation, which takes a fifth or so of the map. But then it’s really fun. The secrets are tantalizing. Optional areas abound. The layout is fascinating.

Bottom line: ammo shortage early is annoying, but it’s a really cool E1/E2 themed layout

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

This map is very orchestrated in what you do and how you fight the fights. So there’s not a lot of exploring to do or “incidental” combat. The map is pretty straightforward with most of the action leaning toward the setpiece variety. Some of that action is quite grindy and boring, but most of it is pretty exciting, two big fights in particular. Visually, it’s not eye candy, but it’s nothing terrible, and the level of cohesion is surprising considering how different some of the areas are.

Bottom line: It’s a combat-driven map and does pretty well as such, though it can be a bit grindy sometimes.

Thank you much for playing! I've made some improvements to the map based on what I saw in your playthrough. Are the two fights you found particularly exciting the ruins fight with the two cybers, and the arena at the end?

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

Not much in terms of personality, this map is pretty similar in concept to the previous, but I like that concept: visually more Shores of Hell with a lot of paths and small rooms to explore at your pace. I might put a second plasma gun somewhere. I got it toward the end and never even fired it, yet it’s not a secret at all.

Bottom line: Kinda two maps in one. I like the first longer one. I found the second wearisome.

Edited by HAK3180

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Another fun layout. This one did a nice job of building tension with a few previews of what is to come or obvious trap situations, but you didn’t know how the trap would unfold. Both the key fights, for example, are cliché in that they are key fights, but they are really fun and still surprising.

Bottom line: tall, dark, and handsomely challenging

@jacnowak

download the .wad

It’s a little bit bare in terms of visuals. It’s probably very close to vanilla-compatible: not a lot of detail and a lot of orthogonality. However, the layout is really good. It intrigues the player and allows Doomguy to explore a bit. It also uses the space to the monsters’ advantage. Toward the end, the whole level is in play, so it’s not like you visit an area once and then you’re done with it. The combat itself is surprising on a few occasions. Early, you get the sense that the level is easy, but there’s a certain point where it becomes quite challenging the rest of the way.

Bottom line: A fun map that could use a visual upgrade.

11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Another fun layout. This one did a nice job of building tension with a few previews of what is to come or obvious trap situations, but you didn’t know how the trap would unfold. Both the key fights, for example, are cliché in that they are key fights, but they are really fun and still surprising.

Bottom line: tall, dark, and handsomely challenging

Great! I'll put some candles where the mancubus teleport in and I'll see if I can make map18 red door visible without making hidden monsters able to see the player, when you have maps like this with all the curves and windows you spend a lot of time locating monsters in the right spot so they cannot see you until the desirable moment :)

@Milkman

I messed up. The previous video was Map 19, not Map 18. Yet I did have the proper Map 18 writeup on that post. I have now fixed everything up. The post above is now the (previously unseen) actual Map 18. In this post is the actual Map 19, which was previously seen above. so scroll up for newer footage.

Doomworld forum topic

How this map changes near the end is really cool, hearkening back to the early maps of this wad, even while the main map itself is very reminiscent of the Shore of Hell. It’s a shorter map, and I really have no complaints. It lacks distinction, but then it doesn’t in a very big way.

Bottom line: A little E2 action with an exciting twist.

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a small city full of revenants, arachnotrons, and mancubi. And some imps. You pretty much only use plasma and rockets in this map. The only bullets, shells, shotguns, and chainguns, are dropped from the few humans in this map. I wonder if thought was given to doing this map without any of them. The volume of monsters makes this a wild ride. You feel prepared and scared at the same time. As usual, the layout is great. You access the different buildings in different ways, get two keys independently (I think) and then exit. One potential negative is a few traps are probably in the neighborhood of unfair, or at least extremely more doable with foresight/hindsight, but the “incidental” stuff was so good I didn’t even really care.

Bottom line: high octane city map

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

The main feature of this one is the height levels of the liquid floors. Raising them will afford you access to new areas. That’s the main way of progressing in the map. You lock and load from the beginning. Big guns are early and often, yet it’s still a lot of tight space combat with a few signature moments. Again, visuals are not awe-inspiring, but the layout tends to make you forget about it.

Bottom line: Same old song: interactive layout with fun, tight quarters action

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

Visually it’s pretty good mountainous hellscape – nothing groundbreaking but gets the job done. The action is somewhat repetitive. Travel a bit, do an arena light slaughter fight, repeat. Then it’s over.

Bottom line: It seems like a lot of map for not as much content

15 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a small city full of revenants, arachnotrons, and mancubi. And some imps. You pretty much only use plasma and rockets in this map. The only bullets, shells, shotguns, and chainguns, are dropped from the few humans in this map. I wonder if thought was given to doing this map without any of them. The volume of monsters makes this a wild ride. You feel prepared and scared at the same time. As usual, the layout is great. You access the different buildings in different ways, get two keys independently (I think) and then exit. One potential negative is a few traps are probably in the neighborhood of unfair, or at least extremely more doable with foresight/hindsight, but the “incidental” stuff was so good I didn’t even really care.

Bottom line: high octane city map

Great review, I'll tone down the BK trap a bit just to make more room for reaction, also that demon trap ask for a berserk. Watching your videos by the end of the levels also tell me how much rockets to cut off, not so much because of the archvile impredictable stuff but some at least, thank you!