Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

 

You originally said "for GZDoom" and later, "limit-removing ports." So can I play this in Crispy? PrBoom+?

I would assume so, yes. To be honest, I don't know anything about ports beyond GZDoom since I never used them. 

Share this post


Link to post

Table of Contents

 

4 minutes ago, TravyB said:

I would assume so, yes. To be honest, I don't know anything about ports beyond GZDoom since I never used them. 

Okay, well, I checked and the map is in UDMF format, which decidedly does not even load in Crispy or PrBoom+.

 

The most useful information you can provide is which format (UDMF), followed by what you tested in (GZDoom).

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Table of Contents

 

Okay, well, I checked and the map is in UDMF format, which decidedly does not even load in Crispy or PrBoom+.

 

The most useful information you can provide is which format (UDMF), followed by what you tested in (GZDoom).

I'll keep that in mind, and will update the post as well. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for all the comments about the CzechBox. I don't know if we will take them all into account now, but it could help less experienced mappers in future.

Share this post


Link to post

@damned

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

Again, I would say this map just lacks depth. It’s basic in all facets except a little bit of fun barrel action early. The signature fights are easily trivialized, there’s hardly any exploring to do, and it’s just nothing special visually. While this may sound like I’m describing a terrible map, it’s really more that it doesn’t stand out at all.

 

Bottom line: The simple combat is starting to define the wad

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/11/2019 at 1:57 PM, HAK3180 said:

@Austinado

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

The main weakness of this map for me was the linearity. You hardly even saw the areas ahead of you, much less made a decision as to which way to go. The exception was the big nukage maze, which I found to be a lot of fun – fast-paced and not too difficult to navigate. Some of the combat had door problem issues, but most was okay; it just needs some more weapon variety. Maybe an early rocket launcher with limited rockets until much later. Maybe even a BFG with 40-80 total cells in the whole map.

 

Bottom line: I think you can still see the mapper’s style and some improvement

 

Thanks alot, the main reason i dont give much "weaponary" its because its the first map, and i want to give the big guns, more in the front. This project will take me a while..since i do the video-records and all...but i will try to manage tge time. I saw a few flaws that are already fixed. Once again thanks for the playtesting ;)

Share this post


Link to post

@Octillion

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

It’s very crude and basic, mostly flat rectangles and some parts resembling Doom Builder. Progression also has an oddity or two. Combat is simplistic but can be annoying and even lethally so if you expect to be able to shotgun everything.

 

Bottom line: Maybe don’t set out to make a megawad because you lost a bet

Share this post


Link to post

@nicolas monti

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

Secret maps sometimes swing for the fences. This one doesn’t, so while some may be a little disappointed, I don’t think anyone will hate it. The gimmickry, although pervasive, is subtle. Gameplay is not anything out of the ordinary except you only use cells and rockets. I think it needs more ammo before the very last fight but other than that, not too much to say.

 

Bottom line: It may be my least favorite map in the wad, but it’s a nice little change of pace and successful at what it presents.

Share this post


Link to post

@HAK3180

 

Yeah, I would have loved to make the earlier maps better looking and game play wise. But I was completely new to mapping and the condition was to not modify anything from earlier maps for people to nitpick it. But thanks for sitting down and playing it sir.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

Secret maps sometimes swing for the fences. This one doesn’t, so while some may be a little disappointed, I don’t think anyone will hate it. The gimmickry, although pervasive, is subtle. Gameplay is not anything out of the ordinary except you only use cells and rockets. I think it needs more ammo before the very last fight but other than that, not too much to say.

 

Bottom line: It may be my least favorite map in the wad, but it’s a nice little change of pace and successful at what it presents.

Thanks for the review as always, I managed to kill everything with the ammo as it is but I see I abused of my preknowledge about infighting in the big room so I'll definitively add more for the last encounter! I wanted to make something different for the secret levels, not too ambitious but yet a departure form the rest of the levels, not too long maps, just a bonus, kind of different trip if you like :)

Share this post


Link to post

@Octillion

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

I don’t know if I should expect a gradual increase in quality, but you can see it here. The ammo is much better, some of the fights are decently engaging, and there’s even a couple moments where you can stop to admire the progression.

 

Bottom line: Still crude and simplistic, but definitely better than Map 01

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: The simple combat is starting to define the wad

No worries, it will become more complex ;)

Share this post


Link to post

@TravyB

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

This map has some pretty good concepts throughout: an intricate cave system (that could use some work), a grand hub of turret monsters, a couple large rooms with more frantic combat and some slightly trippy stuff. These different sections become a little bit episodic, but in the grand scheme, you know you need to get two keys and go in their respective doors. The Hurt Me Plenty difficulty was pretty good throughout. Just some of the early combat was a little simplistic and there were way too many cells at the end. It’s a very nice looking map. The custom textures are put to good use.

 

Bottom line: A mostly exciting adventure through hell

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@TravyB

 

 

This map has some pretty good concepts throughout: an intricate cave system (that could use some work), a grand hub of turret monsters, a couple large rooms with more frantic combat and some slightly trippy stuff. These different sections become a little bit episodic, but in the grand scheme, you know you need to get two keys and go in their respective doors. The Hurt Me Plenty difficulty was pretty good throughout. Just some of the early combat was a little simplistic and there were way too many cells at the end. It’s a very nice looking map. The custom textures are put to good use.

 

Bottom line: A mostly exciting adventure through hell

I'm glad you liked it, and I'd say those points are all valid. On my end the cave was darker then it seems to be for everyone but I was also afraid of making it too dark to navigate, despite it being a loop.

Share this post


Link to post

@HAK3180 I'm not sure if you've ever mentioned this, but what are your key bindings and mouse configuration, if you don't mind my asking? 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, kknot5889 said:

I'm not sure if you've ever mentioned this, but what are your key bindings and mouse configuration, if you don't mind my asking? 

Not very normal. I do not use a mouse at all.

  • Up arrow - move forward
  • Down arrow - move backwards
  • Left arrow - turn left
  • Right arrow - turn right
  • S - strafe left
  • F - strafe right
  • D - fire (this is why I always fire at the beginning of non Map 01s; I have to fire to commit most cheats, including idclev)
  • E - strafe on
  • Space - use
  • 1-7 - weapons
  • A few other keys - stuff I (almost) never use

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Not very normal. I do not use a mouse at all.

  • Up arrow - move forward
  • Down arrow - move backwards
  • Left arrow - turn left
  • Right arrow - turn right
  • S - strafe left
  • F - strafe right
  • D - fire (this is why I always fire at the beginning of non Map 01s; I have to fire to commit most cheats, including idclev)
  • E - strafe on
  • Space - use
  • 1-7 - weapons
  • A few other keys - stuff I (almost) never use

 

Ah ha! I kinda figured you didn't play with a mouse, but I wanted to be sure. How did you land on this configuration? 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, kknot5889 said:

Ah ha! I kinda figured you didn't play with a mouse, but I wanted to be sure. How did you land on this configuration?

 

Back when I first started playing a bunch of old NES and SNES video games via emulator, I did not have a joystick, so I was playing games on a laptop keyboard. This was perfectly fine for stuff like Final Fantasy but I really had to think about something that worked for action games like Mario or Mega Man or Metroid. So I configured something that worked well for that and then realized (or just finally decided to) that you could change Doom's controls, so I implemented something similar to what I had for SNES video games. This was often on a mouseless laptop, though I don't remember whether you could use a mouse for those old emulators anyway. So once I changed the controls from the default, I found a new passion for Doom and obviously much more skill. I've used the same setup ever since, over 15 years; it's completely natural to me.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

 

Back when I first started playing a bunch of old NES and SNES video games via emulator, I did not have a joystick, so I was playing games on a laptop keyboard. This was perfectly fine for stuff like Final Fantasy but I really had to think about something that worked for action games like Mario or Mega Man or Metroid. So I configured something that worked well for that and then realized (or just finally decided to) that you could change Doom's controls, so I implemented something similar to what I had for SNES video games. This was often on a mouseless laptop, though I don't remember whether you could use a mouse for those old emulators anyway. So once I changed the controls from the default, I found a new passion for Doom and obviously much more skill. I've used the same setup ever since, over 15 years; it's completely natural to me.

 

Well that's a neat work around. I didn't use a mouse for Wolfenstein when I was a kid but I feel like I always used one for Doom. Can definitely tell it's completely natural for you. Makes your videos that much more impressive. Thanks for sharing the story.

Share this post


Link to post

@damned

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

This map has a solid progression, somewhat clever and a bit of short and sweet charm. I think the spaces are not well sized. The first room is much too big and the rest feel too small, yet the combat doesn’t really utilize that compactness. It’s another really easy map.

 

Bottom line: Nothing to hate but it’s pretty meh

Share this post


Link to post

Hi , I would be interested to see you playing my maps from my megawad (and also maps from guests). :)

 

 

 

I recommand to play the wad on hurt me plenty (some levels may be frustrating on UV). Also , Map 18 crashes on gzdoom for unknown reasons so you should play it on prboom. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post

@damned

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

Now this is what I’m talking about. Within a minute I could tell that this was a more experienced mapper. The flow has never been bad, but it’s so good here. There’s a keen sense of place and you never really travel too far. This is also the first level to offer any significant opposition. I thought health and ammo were just a touch too low, especially by comparison to the previous maps, but it was nothing annoying. Visually, it’s clean and professional without losing its identity.

 

Bottom line: head and shoulders over the first four

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: head and shoulders over the first four

Thanks.

In general I tend to keep the ammo and health on the edge in majority of my maps to push players to more tactical play, but later in the Megawad there are more maps focused on action. Also I expect, that players who play on UV will already know the layout of the map and will be able to find secrets. There is berserk in secret, that can balance the health for the map on UV.
When I tested it I had enough of Ammo, but maybe aiming with keyboard is more difficult so you've spend more somewhere...

Share this post


Link to post

@Mike_C

 

download the .zip

 

The lighting is the most interesting aspect here. Some areas are very dark and have significant emphasis on lighting. Other areas have almost no emphasis on lighting. I think this thing could be quite atmospheric if that lighting theme pervaded the entire map. It’s not eye candy, being dominated by tekgreen. It’s not layout wizardry, as it’s mostly a succession of rooms, although the exit view early was good stuff. But at the end of the day, the map is just interesting enough. You don’t really feel like the combat is clever or innovative, but a few moments have some bite and it manages to work in all its simplicity.

 

Bottom line: It’s not too exciting, but it won’t bore you to death or make you quit early.

Share this post


Link to post

@Octillion

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

 

 

No thought was given to appearance and very little thought appears to have gone into how the encounters play out, with the exception of the beginning, which I thought was fun, active, and smart. This map could definitely use a (nonsecret) super shotgun and/or rocket launcher.

 

Bottom line: Fun start and downhill from there

Share this post


Link to post

@HAK3180

 

To be honest, I didn't playtest all of the maps (Pistol start). Since rocket launcher was available in map02, I thought giving ammo for it should be enough.

Yeah, I do agree the dark room and the elevator makes the encounter quite irritating. The title of the map was thought of by the narrow path in that dark room, but I guess it didn't turn out as good as I thought it would.

 

Small edit: Now that I think about it, pistol starting in B.A.M.F difficulty is almost impossible in the later maps... Ouch...

Edited by Octillion

Share this post


Link to post

@Roofi

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

Cool setup. Most of the map is before you from the beginning. It’s a series of somewhat choreographed encounters. Visuals are definitely secondary but the layout itself seems very intentional.

 

Bottom line: Compact with a punch

 

Share this post


Link to post

@Roofi

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

A lot of maps with over 500 enemies are not exactly short. This one took me almost ten minutes. It’s too bad because I think this would be a lot more fun if it were half the size. It wouldn’t have to be any easier, just less of a grind. Clever idea and implementation, just too long.

 

Bottom line: Interesting concept, but too much of the same

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×