Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Get Phobo

GZDoom 4.x - minimum resolution 640x400 - reasons?

I noticed that, starting with version 4.0.0, GZDoom has had a new 640x400 minimum resolution.

Was that design choice made for specific technical reasons, or was it just a deliberate choice with no specific reasons behind?

To me, it is a unnecessary limitation that not only makes it impossible to use a resolution of 640x360 pixels (exactly one third of my monitors' native resolution)--which is necessary with large, demanding maps sometimes--but it also creates ugly black bars on a 16:9 screen.

The reason is that the menu does not scale down to 320x200 with the new font and/or localized content.

In order to make 320x200 work again there needs to be some separation between menu and game rendering, and with none of the developers having an interest in such low resolutions it is not particularly high on the list of priorities.

Yeah, 640x360 is a nice resolution for software renderer in wide screen.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

The reason is that the menu does not scale down to 320x200 with the new font and/or localized content.

In order to make 320x200 work again there needs to be some separation between menu and game rendering, and with none of the developers having an interest in such low resolutions it is not particularly high on the list of priorities.

Okay; and you couldn't make something 16:9-compatible, like the aforementioned 640x360, work?

6 hours ago, Urthar said:

Yeah, 640x360 is a nice resolution for software renderer in wide screen.

I use it with the OpenGL and Vulkan renderers. Vulkan is still a bit unstable, though, so it's gonna be OpenGL for me some more time. But playing large maps with Project Brutality can really demand such a low resolution. It gives a nice retro touch in a way, anyway.

No, because then the screen wouldn't be tall enough anymore for some screens.

What kind of system are you running? Vulkan-compatible systems that require that much upscaling are quite rare.

I was running a few larger maps with Project Brutality, which altogether was quite demanding.

But the actual reason was that I had to switch to OpenGL, which made this lower resolution necessary, as the Vulkan renderer kept crashing. It's still a bit unstable, at least in conjunction with mods like PB. (I know you've mentioned that in the 4.x description, so it came to no surprise to me, but still...)

If Vulkan keeps crashing, please make a bug report, listing your hardware specs and mods loaded. Otherwise these cannot be tested and potentially fixed.

Vulkan is pretty nasty if some buffer is too small, there's little safeguards in that code for performance reasons.