Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DemilinX

"The Unholy Trinity" (1994)

In addition to digitized photographs of textures from Trinity College, this map has some impressive tricks for being from 1994. During a quick play through I observed (1) recessed switches, (2) "deep" water, (3) an animated "cinema" texture with level credits, and (4) creative integration of Doom assets with real world settings.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/university/trinity2

Title:The Unholy Trinity

Filename:themes/university/trinity2.zip

Size:302.3 KB

Date:09/03/94

Author:Steve McCrea, Simon Wall, & Elias Papavassilopoulos

Description:A reasonable representation of Trinity College, Cambridge. "Oh no, not again," I hear you cry. "Some lamers' first WAD. Prob'ly got a cyber in there." But wait! Read on. Much cannon fodder. Many new graphics. Cool bits. Guaranteed entertainment or your money back (see below for terms and conditions of this offer). And NO cyberdemon! Well... oh, never mind. Although designed for single player, has multiplayer weapons and starts, and large, well interconnected areas. Version 2 fixes a bug and some ugly bits.

Screenshot_Doom_20190804_141612.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190804_141827.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190804_142110.png

I recall this being the highlight map from a huge book about doom wads I purchased as a kid; also came with these maps on CD, and the cover was a blue baron of hell. Can't recall the name of it though.

886 pages! I loved reading through that tome but didn't really dabble with level design until Doom Builder came along much, much later.

I remember some old site that was like "best Doom wads ever" (this was back in '97 or so) that had this. I downloaded and played all of them, and this was one. Stuck out in my memory due to all the custom textures and the real-world setting.

Still have to understand how the cinema animated texture are done, yes this is a impressive wad for the time it was done...

Ah the glory of 1994 era digitized textures!

Oh and hey Matt (hope I am remembering right, been a while).

It's been a while since I've played this wad, which was an impressive feat for the time. I can't exactly remember how I first came across this one, but I'm pretty sure it was before I started livestreaming Doom wads. (was it part of Maximum Doom?)

6 hours ago, Suitepee said:

It's been a while since I've played this wad, which was an impressive feat for the time. I can't exactly remember how I first came across this one, but I'm pretty sure it was before I started livestreaming Doom wads. (was it part of Maximum Doom?)

That is ringing a bell. There were many wad compilation discs doing the rounds back in the day, with little variation between some of them. Even all the way here in New Zealand in the between Doom's release and the real beginnings of the Internet here in around 1997 I would find them randomly showing up in places like the Warehouse, which is our national group of distributors of cheap tat.