Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inf3cted

What are the must play levels of BTSX Ep 1

It would be nice if I was to see the must play maps of this popular mega wad, lists are appreciated

That is... a really specific target for this sort of thread.

If you're going to play, just play the whole thing. Everyone has their preferences and no one will know what you will end up liking most. 

This is my favorite megawad, so my advice is to start with Map01, and if you like it, play all the other maps, too. IMO you can't go wrong.

Individually, they are all very good, the only problem with this set is that as a result of a strictly tech texture set, they all look "samey". (after you finish the set, it's hard to memorize what individual maps looked like).

Standouts include maps 7, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22 and 24.

I echo that it's probably worth checking all of them out. You could arguably reduce BTSX E1 down to a list of the big hits and just play those, but you'd be missing out on a lot of great one-offs from a plethora of mappers that we don't get to see quite nearly enough work from anymore. If anything I'd be more interested to ask for a list of the lesser appreciated BTSX maps that don't get nearly as shouted out as the "big" mappers. MAP02, MAP06, and MAP18 come to mind here. 

And I apply this sentiment to E2 as well -- play em, play em all!

All of it.

It's consistent and good till the end.

The only ones that I even remember are "Total Exposure" and "The Colossus Crawls West".  Everything else just blends together in one bland mush.

12 hours ago, Polri said:

Individually, they are all very good, the only problem with this set is that as a result of a strictly tech texture set, they all look "samey". (after you finish the set, it's hard to memorize what individual maps looked like).

Standouts include maps 7, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22 and 24.

Yeah "samey", was saying that myself when I started. Thanks for mentioning "creme of the crop" levels

6 hours ago, Firedust said:

Episode 2 is better though.

I read that Ep 2 is boring cause the levels are a bit long

27 minutes ago, Smight said:

Ofc, on the slaughter side right?

StoneMason is joking because maps 26 - 30 don't exist lol. BTSX E1 ends at map25

1 hour ago, Tango said:

StoneMason is joking because maps 26 - 30 don't exist lol. BTSX E1 ends at map25

Lol...good sense of humor

Total Exposure and Underground Initiations (5 and 12) are the only ones I've thoroughly enjoyed so far on my playthrough of it. 

Since I rather enjoy BTSX (well, the first episode, at least), I'll also give you the maps that I DIDN'T like: Maps 05 (if only for the ending), 13 (annoying enemy placement), 31 (skillsaw...how?), and maybe 17?

Everything else is solid. Not ALL are memorable, though, since one of the things setting the WAD back is that most maps are techbase. What saves it is the continuity (kinda easy, tbh). The standouts are Map02 (abundance of rockets, love it), Map03 (skillsaw continues rocket abundance), Map12 (adventure map, the length being just right, with not many annoying secrets), Map15 (Mechadon's typical flair working as usual), Map32 (slaughter!) and Map24 (epic design and one of the best fights in Doomdom - the waterfall battle, obviously).

The hub maps are spectables of course, and the rest are fine.

59 minutes ago, NaZa said:

59 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Total Exposure and Underground Initiations (5 and 12) are the only ones I've thoroughly enjoyed so far on my playthrough of it. 

Hmm so far you said, only 3 more maps left? Anyhow map 5, I need to replay it  and I'm almost done with that good Skillsaw map 12, secrets are not the easiest though, been playing it on HMP since I read that the levels tend to get very hard

I often end up skipping maps 20 to 25 when I casually play BTSX. There're not bad maps by any means, but I've generally had my fill by that point and the latter maps can be a bit of a slog.

2 hours ago, Urthar said:

I often end up skipping maps 20 to 25 when I casually play BTSX. There're not bad maps by any means, but I've generally had my fill by that point and the latter maps can be a bit of a slog.

Like I mentioned before the later maps can be a grind, that is why I'm playing on HMP and I do prefer UV but....

3 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I found Metal Mothers to be the most memorable, just because, holy cow spider masterminds everywhere!

👍

4 hours ago, Poncho1 said:

Since I rather enjoy BTSX (well, the first episode, at least), I'll also give you the maps that I DIDN'T like: Maps 05 (if only for the ending), 13 (annoying enemy placement), 31 (skillsaw...how?), and maybe 17?

Everything else is solid. Not ALL are memorable, though, since one of the things setting the WAD back is that most maps are techbase. What saves it is the continuity (kinda easy, tbh). The standouts are Map02 (abundance of rockets, love it), Map03 (skillsaw continues rocket abundance), Map12 (adventure map, the length being just right, with not many annoying secrets), Map15 (Mechadon's typical flair working as usual), Map32 (slaughter!) and Map24 (epic design and one of the best fights in Doomdom - the waterfall battle, obviously).

The hub maps are spectables of course, and the rest are fine.

I finished map 12 and had fun even though I missed 3 secrets and some enemies, I will check out your recommendations and look at the maps that you disliked