Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DynamiteKaitorn

ZMALLOC failed on allocation of 13134410024 bytes crash with Hexen [Vanilla/Chocolate]

Question

Okay so I'm trying to work on a quick little project idea and I wanted to use Hexen as the base resource (Since hexen has jumping in chocolate doom) however upon me making my palette and textures, the game crashes. Loading the same WAD in DooM/DooM 2 seems to not cause any errors (apart from the obvious bugged textures due to the new palette). Any idea why Hexen is trying to load a lot of stuff into memory at once?

11 answers to this question

11 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Loading the same WAD in DooM/DooM 2 seems to not cause any errors

you have your maps in Doom format, not in Hexen. as there are no checks, Hexen tries to load them as its own maps, got gibberish and crashes.

The Hexen map and the DooM maps were both separate levels. Loading up the "Hexen (Hexen) In Hexen Format" map causes the ZMALLOC but "DooM 2 (DooM 2) In DooM Format" doesn't seem to cause the error. I also checked the PLAYPAL file to make sure it was Hexen based not DooM based yet the crash still occurs.

then it is hard to say anything without the actual wad, sorry. my only idea was about invalid map format.

I have encountered this Hexen error myself, and the only way I've found to fix it is by putting

#include "common.acs"

in the map's script lump.

You don't even need an actual script, just that line of code. When that line of code is present, the game won't crash when it starts the map.

Edit:Experimented some more and found out you just need a script lump present. Not even the #include is necessary.

Whelp. Hexen keeps coughing up error after error either its a "> numlump" error (guessing the textures need compressing/converting? (not sure how to convert to a custom palette but ehh)) or it complains about ANIMDEF despite not having an ANIMDEF in the wad file...

Vanilla HeXen won't start a map with a blank behaviour lump IIRC. It must have something in it, even if it isn't used in the map.

Without having anything to look at it's hard to find out what the problem is. Can you post a minimal example with a single map that causes the errors you mention?

2 hours ago, Vermil said:

Vanilla HeXen won't start a map with a blank behaviour lump IIRC. It must have something in it, even if it isn't used in the map.

Editors which provide a blank BEHAVIOR when saving for vanilla Hexen need to be fixed... 

ahem... zero-length nodes won't work too. that is, create something more complex than a rectangle. your map should have at least two subsectors, i believe. vanilla engines prone to crashing with one-sector-one-subsector maps.