Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magicana

Techtonic Habitat

Hey everyone,

I'm back with yet another tech themed map. I had inspiration for everything except a map name, hence the title.

This map was made with an E1 vibe (But not in the style of the Original Doom), but requires Doom2.wad to play. Takes me around 9-10 minutes to 100% the map, so slightly longer than that on a first play through I imagine. Progression and layout should be fairly straight forward.

Let me know what you think - What you like, what you don't like, what worked and what didn't.

Edit: Almost forgot! Texture packs used: Mortiser and Silver by Nicholas Baker. DOOM TEXTURES FOR DOOM II by Sargebuddy. Light textures from FuzzballFox. I also snagged a "Perfect Doom1/2" texture pack from somewhere on Doomworld, but have no idea who made it. Credit to whoever it is, those high-res textures look really good. Mapped using Boom format.

Techtonic Habitat.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20190807_195633.png.d606124160fb67172a40906243b71c9d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190807_195613.png.ae2258d056c9e39aa4d8b9d410faebf6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190807_195603.png.b7151da1ed26784dbac091f2fd28d41c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190807_195539.png.103eef701f4e81caa488b595a8ecf41d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190807_195522.png.f2f8321a80310d9cd1494ef071451c2f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190807_195503.png.d361409723f22b61756559345c5ec430.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190807_194941.png.c9c369c3c1a58e91ec5905c33d9d5aef.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190807_194838.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190807_194850.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190807_195539.png.0208d226d503822d18349fe7d9640c78.png

Edited by Magicana

Have you ever used Oblige? It can generate an entire megawad in about a minute. The maps aren't exactly good, but it will also give you a wad title complete with 32 map names. I just tried it with theme "Tech Base" and it came up with the likes of 

• Stibine Colony
  • UAC Area
  • The Supply Chamber
  • Fusion Refinery
  • Symbiotic Workshop
  • Noxious Site
  • The Provisional Storage

Most are pretty generic and formulaic, but it could be one way to get ideas.

Actually, what I came here to ask was whether this is Boom again.

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Have you ever used Oblige? It can generate an entire megawad in about a minute. The maps aren't exactly good, but it will also give you a wad title complete with 32 map names. I just tried it with theme "Tech Base" and it came up with the likes of 

• Stibine Colony
  • UAC Area
  • The Supply Chamber
  • Fusion Refinery
  • Symbiotic Workshop
  • Noxious Site
  • The Provisional Storage

Most are pretty generic and formulaic, but it could be one way to get ideas.

Actually, what I came here to ask was whether this is Boom again.

When I saw you mention Oblige, I thought you had come in here to rip on my designs! :P

Yeah I chucked a sneaky edit in because I forgot a lot of details when I posted this. It's in Boom format.

Edit: @HAK3180 name generation worked! Slept on it, looked at some other map names, and came up with a slight pun

Edited by Magicana

Man I really like this map. I am not the quickest player so it took me a few attempts but most of the time everything felt right.

I liked how rooms are inter-connected and have multiple entry points, I liked how monsters seem to rush towards you in groups when grabbing the blue key, I like how the green armor is visible yet tricky to obtain, and I like the use of light and shadow. Bringing the SLADRIP and other wall textures is a nice touch too.

I did not like the monster closet full of Imps in the last room, that gave me a fright. The red key feels a bit redundant, since you pick it up on your way to the red door (a minor non-issue), and it was difficult using the rocket launcher in a confined space (that may have been your intent).

Yep a good map for my tastes. I think I will go play it some more to find those secrets I missed.

7 hours ago, beast said:

Man I really like this map. I am not the quickest player so it took me a few attempts but most of the time everything felt right.

I liked how rooms are inter-connected and have multiple entry points, I liked how monsters seem to rush towards you in groups when grabbing the blue key, I like how the green armor is visible yet tricky to obtain, and I like the use of light and shadow. Bringing the SLADRIP and other wall textures is a nice touch too.

I did not like the monster closet full of Imps in the last room, that gave me a fright. The red key feels a bit redundant, since you pick it up on your way to the red door (a minor non-issue), and it was difficult using the rocket launcher in a confined space (that may have been your intent).

Yep a good map for my tastes. I think I will go play it some more to find those secrets I missed.

I liked the play through! 

The level was designed to be played without using the rocket launcher at all. On my many playthroughs, I tended to run back to where that green armor was (After getting the blue key) and smashing rockets back. However, it's only there as a bonus. Speaking of rockets, I realised watching the playthrough I put some rocket ammo in unobtainable spots (Shotgunner pillars in the nukage). Was one of those times where I saw I had items half in the void in a random spot and went "Oh, the rockets were meant to be on those two pillars you can -just- strafe jump to" and I then proceeded to put them on the pillars you -can't- reach. Oh well.

My goal with the red key and the exit door being keyed was basically to give the player a sense of progression - Admittedly that section is rather weak design wise and it funnels the player the right way anyway. The trap was particularly nasty, but not too bad to defeat - Just blast your way straight and you can get around them. That little section was designed to thwart rushing though, because the imps that were behind the shotgunners can get you if you haven't taken care of them already.

You only missed one secret in the map - It's pretty visible, but takes some tricky manoeuvring. It also opens up the last monster, which I only put in as a joke about the very common trope around this item and this monster. That's all I'll say about the secret though ;).

My only other takeaway from this playthrough and from @Austinado is that the blue key door needs to be a little more signposted - Maybe a pickup down by the door so players go there and remember it for later.

I've played through your map, what can I say? Very good map! I really liked the enemy placement, good level design overall. It took me around 13 minutes to complete it.

17 minutes ago, Casketkrusher said:

I've played through your map, what can I say? Very good map! I really liked the enemy placement, good level design overall. It took me around 13 minutes to complete it.

Thank you for the compliments! I quite enjoyed making this map (Way more than the last one).

--

I did a playthrough of the map as well, so if anyone wants to see what the 100% playthrough looks like, here you go.

Played through on UV and get 100% kills and secrets. I like how the were multiple points of entry in a couple rooms and the use of elevation grab a few items like the chainsaw was a nice touch. The surprise Imp room next to the red key gave me a good jump but I feel the only way I survived was due to luck and not skill. I also feel the level would be better if you cut down on the monster count near the middle and gave the player less medkits. One thing that stuck out to me was your texturing and overall detailing, your use of textures was nice in the dark computer hallways around the middle of level. Some rooms are rather sparse when it comes to detailing, most notably the starting room and the bright cement1, however as you become more accustomed to whatever editor you use I imagine that problem will be fixed in future levels. One thing to keep in mind about detailing is having large rooms with flat walls and one texture rarely looks good, try to add depth to your walls by adding sunken in computer stations or support pillars.

Overall I found the level fun to play and it kept me engaged throughout the whole thing.

8 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

Played through on UV and get 100% kills and secrets. I like how the were multiple points of entry in a couple rooms and the use of elevation grab a few items like the chainsaw was a nice touch. The surprise Imp room next to the red key gave me a good jump but I feel the only way I survived was due to luck and not skill. I also feel the level would be better if you cut down on the monster count near the middle and gave the player less medkits. One thing that stuck out to me was your texturing and overall detailing, your use of textures was nice in the dark computer hallways around the middle of level. Some rooms are rather sparse when it comes to detailing, most notably the starting room and the bright cement1, however as you become more accustomed to whatever editor you use I imagine that problem will be fixed in future levels. One thing to keep in mind about detailing is having large rooms with flat walls and one texture rarely looks good, try to add depth to your walls by adding sunken in computer stations or support pillars.

Overall I found the level fun to play and it kept me engaged throughout the whole thing.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Detailing is something I am trying to improve on - I had little touches of it I think this time, but much to improve on still!

5 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Should change the name.  "Habitat" might put off certain people who may otherwise enjoy it.

I promise that this map has nothing in common with the map from TNT. Apart from when I used the cement textures, and tight/dark corridors with shotgunners... :P

7 hours ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/464924652

I play this at 3:13:25 into this playtest livestream. A decent map overall, looks like you're getting better at this mapping thing!

Thanks for the play! Lot of the viewers on your stream seemed to get my intentions with the map, so I must have been doing something right!

Another great wad, really enjoyed it! Nice progression, and that hall of imp traps at the end was tough and had me wishing I had conserved more chaingun ammo lol.

I would record playthroughs, but I don't have any game recording software and I don't know how to make demos in Doom.

On 8/11/2019 at 6:40 AM, Unitron said:

Another great wad, really enjoyed it! Nice progression, and that hall of imp traps at the end was tough and had me wishing I had conserved more chaingun ammo lol.

I would record playthroughs, but I don't have any game recording software and I don't know how to make demos in Doom.

That's why I put some bullets in the little hallway - Also there was a box of bullets in the monster closet that opened in that initial area. But I noticed Hak missed the bullets on his playthrough. That said, I tested the area with just the shotgun so it was pretty doable. Just keep blasting forward and get to the red key. That area is designed to punish players who go too fast and don't clear things that open behind.

I record using OBS Studio - Once I tinkered with the settings a bit, it goes really well. I only set it up because people really wanted to see Sigil (I paid the $6.66 to get it a week early), and I then proceeded to only record the first three levels of it >.<