Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doctor Silt

Does anyone else refuse to watch/see any doom eternal content to go into it blind?

No.

I want to know what I'm going to experience and see so that I can more-or-less determine whether it is going to be worth my time or not.

To a point. I watched the trailers, but only skimmed the recent gameplay stream. I will be waiting for the release and reviews. As much faith as I have it is going to be great, caution is still the smarter play.

I'm not watching anything and I will play the game blind, but will play it mostly because it's Doom and not because I'm counting on a great experience. From what I saw, the game is woefully overdesigned. It's just a visual mess and most games are to my taste. I like my games simple and clear, I don't need 5 million polygons on a caco. Doom Eternal looks so detailed that it all blurs into a meaty mess. No space left for imagination or interpretation. I really don't understand how anyone can watch these trailers and get hyped.

In the 90s it would be just another shooter, and one with not particularly good level design. I mean, Quake 1 trumps Doom 2016 in terms of level design. The new Doom is just... fine... but today it's outstanding because nothing even comes close to this level of speed and freedom.

1 hour ago, Szuran said:

In the 90s it would be just another shooter, and one with not particularly good level design. I mean, Quake 1 trumps Doom 2016 in terms of level design. The new Doom is just... fine... but today it's outstanding because nothing even comes close to this level of speed and freedom.

That's your opinion of course. I believe Doom 2016 trumps Quake 1 in everything, with exception to any features it wasn't designed for. It's not Quakes fault as it's older and lacking the refinement of modern game design.

I would play another campaign of Doom 2016 before the nostalgia kicks in to play Quake 1. I did love and grow up with Quake.

In terms of over design blur for eternal, I can see where you're coming from.  It could be a reason for all the cartoony pickups. But it seems manageable to my eyes so far.

**Edit**

In terms of Quake vs 2016 I'm referring to single player.

Edited by Chezza

I watch the trailers and announcements but thats all. Those 20+ minute gameplay vids that get put out I avoid , they give too much away.

I just can't stand watching game ads. I avoid E3 and trailers and stuff cos the presentation is always insulting and self-reverential

more likely I will find one or two sources that I trust for WRITTEN reviews and wait for those. I like writers who can get thoughtful about a game and go meta while avoiding the urge to eviscerate a game for not being what they wanted and I avoid hype dorks who focus on gameplay, graphics, plot, etc.

i just prefer to experience the big AAA games months or years after the release date because of how intrusive the marketing gets and I want to have my own thoughts about it when I do.

youtube vg reviewer culture is still just a continual recital of the game's earliest memorable review, dudes with hair all around their heads with their mouths wide open doing shit entertainment full of spite and expectation. don't feed them

I've seen some glimpses, I myself am actually avoiding all doom eternal stuff I can until the game comes out. I don't want to over hype myself.

I wish i could wipe my memory clean come November knowing that this game already looks soo awesome.

I see all the content for Doom Eternal though I have not played any of the demo(s) as I want to save the experience till release

Edited by OneDoomedSpaceMarine

would love to try this but actually impossible considering how much we're involved in our technology these days. from phones to all forms of social media, I'd eventually hit it somewhere even if I tried to completely avoid it. I mean ffs last they made a doom game there was a TV ad that played for a month straight. 

I watch gameplays of it but not a lot, I mostly just want to know if it's going to be just Doom 2016 2, I've had my fill of that game's arena-after-arena level design.

I go into movies blind and it enhances the experience, because I don't know what I'll see.

I haven't seen that much of Doom Eternal other than that teaser. It looks like Doom 4, but with a grappling hook and sword arm. Oh and arachnatron scorpions.

On 8/8/2019 at 9:33 AM, Chezza said:

That's your opinion of course. I believe Doom 2016 trumps Quake 1 in everything, with exception to any features it wasn't designed for. It's not Quakes fault as it's older and lacking the refinement of modern game design.

I would play another campaign of Doom 2016 before the nostalgia kicks in to play Quake 1. I did love and grow up with Quake.

Just for the record because this might seem like I'm looking through nostalgia goggles: I've played through Quake 1 for the first time 2 months ago. I was blown away. Doom 2016 is nowhere near it in terms of gameplay or level design. (In my opinion, I respect the fact you like it more).

It could be worse: if I remember correctly id Software released much more media prior Quake 2s launch. Right now they basically used 1 level (completely) to showcase Doom Eternal.

I proposed something like that for DOOM4 a long time ago. Didn't quite make it but honestly, neither DOOM4 nor Eternal seem like games that would massively benefit from staying in the dark.

I can't help myself honestly.  I suck up every tiny tidbit of info I can find.  AMA

However I was not happy when Id released footage of the last level for Doom 2016 a few weeks before it released.  Wtf was that about?

1 minute ago, Zemini said:

I can't help myself honestly.  I suck up every tiny tidbit of info I can find.  AMA

However I was not happy when Id released footage of the last level for Doom 2016 a few weeks before it released.  Wtf was that about?

Yeah agreed , very strange choice to have done that. I doubt they will do that this time as there is quite a bit of mystery to Eternal.

No way, buying something without knowing its quality is just a waste of money and time, be it music, a movie, video games, etcetera, specially nowadays where everybody lies about the products they are selling, i was already scammed several times this year with movies. Adding to that, Doom 2016 was nothing special, so is not like i am crazy about this one.

those are all trailers but I remember when I used to refuse to watch assassin's creed unity's user made gameplay videos untill I got my hands on it which took years so that sucked

I take in limited quantities, i've watched the story trailer, played the demo, and I'm very excited for DOOM Eternal and I cannot wait to play it in November. 

On 8/8/2019 at 1:41 PM, Szuran said:

It's just a visual mess and most games are to my taste. I like my games simple and clear. Doom Eternal looks so detailed that it all blurs into a meaty mess. No space left for imagination or interpretation.

Kinda like how Quake looks like  a mishmash of Brown and Darker Brown(or Greyish-Blue if you are on Episode 4), that you can barely distinguish some enemies from the background.

1 hour ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Kinda like how Quake looks like  a mishmash of Brown and Darker Brown(or Greyish-Blue if you are on Episode 4), that you can barely distinguish some enemies from the background.

The strength of these simple looking games was that everything in them was real. Like: if there's a ledge, it's not just a decoration, it's a ledge and you can probably jump on it. Now it's such a mess that new games need to have highlighted ledges or some kind of 'warning' tape plastered to let you know they're interactive. This makes me aware that the rest is just decoration. That's one of many reasons I prefer simple 'ugly' old games. Like in original Tomb Raiders - blocky as hell, but you could hand to ANY ledge, the ENTIRE level was playable. Now it's like 80% is non-interactive decoration and you see right through it because everything interactive pops out.

But that's just me.

@Szuran

You raise a great point mate, especially that everything in simple-looking games is "real". I've often wondered about this myself. I think the pinnacle of this kind of design was Doom 3. Technology hadn't reached a point where you could just put detail all over the place. It seemed like that of philosophy reached its zenith with Doom 3, at least that is what I think.

Sometimes it's better and sometimes It's worse. I think levels like Resource Operations have the best balance regarding detail while levels like Lazarus are overdetailed. I think the angelic structures in the new game have too much detail too.

In Doom (and all Id titles for that matter) less is often more.

2 hours ago, Szuran said:

Now it's such a mess that new games need to have highlighted ledges or some kind of 'warning' tape plastered to let you know they're interactive. This makes me aware that the rest is just decoration.

2 hours ago, Szuran said:

Now it's like 80% is non-interactive decoration and you see right through it because everything interactive pops out.

Sign posting has always been a thing in video games, its nothing new that was created by filthy uncreative level designers from the modern era

I guess i should be mad that i can't go to the mountains in Doom 1's skybox since it obviosuly just there for decoration...

when I enter a forest in Tomb Raider or Uncharted, i expect to see trees, vines and lots of vegetation, when I enter a canyon in Horizon Zero Dawn, I expect to have lots of cliffs, ledges and Ravines

Decorations are a necessity to keeping the world believable, even Classic Doom had useless decorations littered to sell the world...  but i also need to know which part of the world is usable and which is not or i fall to my death. 

But Anyway, Welcome to 2019, I Hope you enjoy your stay...