Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChicagoTrash

Can I open an I-wad in the Hexen format?

Question

I was looking to add NPCs to the Ultimate Doom and all of the tutorials I've found told me to use the hexen format. Can I open an I-wad in that format without breaking it?

4 answers to this question

The only IWADs that contain maps in Hexen format are Hexen.wad and Chex3.wad. Therefore, you can't most of the time.

What you can do however is make a map in hexen format for a game that didn't originally support it, like ultimate doom. All you'll need then is to make sure that you're using a source port that supports that, like GZDoom, and you're fine.

Another thing of note is that it is possible to convert doom-format maps into hexen-format ones as well. I don't remember where you could get a program that did it, but it was possible.

It's also worth noting that editing IWAD files is a bad idea, but you (hopefully) already knew that.

You shouldn't edit the IWAD directly. You can copy the maps from it to a separate PWAD, and then convert them to Hexen format with ZWadconv, a utility you can find on the ZDoom downloads page. Then you can load the PWAD which will feature your changes.

What do you mean exactly by adding NPCs? Do you mean friendly NPCs, like a weapon merchant or some marine followers?

8 hours ago, Alper002 said:

The only IWADs that contain maps in Hexen format are Hexen.wad and Chex3.wad. Therefore, you can't most of the time.

What you can do however is make a map in hexen format for a game that didn't originally support it, like ultimate doom. All you'll need then is to make sure that you're using a source port that supports that, like GZDoom, and you're fine.

Another thing of note is that it is possible to convert doom-format maps into hexen-format ones as well. I don't remember where you could get a program that did it, but it was possible.

It's also worth noting that editing IWAD files is a bad idea, but you (hopefully) already knew that.

Yeah, I know it's bad.

6 hours ago, Gez said:

You shouldn't edit the IWAD directly. You can copy the maps from it to a separate PWAD, and then convert them to Hexen format with ZWadconv, a utility you can find on the ZDoom downloads page. Then you can load the PWAD which will feature your changes.

What do you mean exactly by adding NPCs? Do you mean friendly NPCs, like a weapon merchant or some marine followers?

By adding NPCs, I'd be adding surviving marines, scientists and other workers. Later in the hell levels, you could find tortured people or spirits to talk to.