Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DOOM 2, Prerelease EXEs and maps - A close look (Video)

I really enjoyed the video!, nice to see how doom is in her early time!

Amazing Video :P

I dipped into this pre-release material years back and intended to soak up more, but never got around to it and eventually forgot. The things you talked about with early monster and weapon properties are great and I really enjoyed your showcasing the maps. Good job!

Very interesting video Doomkid, I really enjoy these videos you do (like covering your bootlegs and stuff like that).

I was wondering if yall ever thought about doing more things like this?

Edited by mrthejoshmon

I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely have some more in mind. A commenter on YouTube suggested a video about historic Doom mods and possibly doing an overview of the history of wads and mods. That would be a lot to chew, but I think it sounds like an excellent idea.

Excellent catch, we can see that sky in all the beta Doom2 screenshots that are floating around. D'oh!

We do have visual confirmation that the Arachnotron's original death sequence was just the Spider Mastermind's resized. This screenshot shows a couple dead babies around the mother, their final corpse sprite merely being a scaled-down copy:

VILY4p3.png

More tellingly, however, we also have this screenshot of an Arch-Vile in mid-resurrection of an Arachnotron, revealing the full Mastermind death sequence was in use:

yW0Hs7h.jpg

And of note here is that the Arch-Vile's evil resurrecting magicks was green back then, likely part of the less-refined monster sprites at the time along with the Revenant and Arachnotron.

Great video, some parts of Underhalls, Entryway and The Gantlet looked better in those beta versions. I also like that pump action SSG, looks like something out of classic simpsons seasons.

if you want to see all beta maps of doom2, here is a complete walkthrough played with v1.5 instead of v1.6 as in the video:

^^Be prepared that this is about 3 hours long.

Nice video Doomkid, interesting stuff found on the executables and the texturing. Also, I commented as Doom Video Vault.

Awesome video, this is the Doom content that I crave. I love this niche/obscure stuff and you did a great job exploring it.

Edit: I agree, I dig the map01 blue room and outdoor areas.

4 hours ago, Patch93 said:

@Doomkid I hope you don't mind that I showed this to John on twitter.

Not at all. Hopefully he sees it!

MAP03 also looks really weird with that texturing, not very Earth-like at all..Also MAP06 has some completely different segments to it too.

Interesting bit of info. It's nice to learn how the HK, Mancubus, and Chaingunners eventually became what they are in the final version. The Mancubus is so fun to hear with the Baron's alert sounds for some reason.

I really like the beta SSG as well, but it really should have used the final game's reload animation, it looks awkward since it's basically the same animation from the pump Shotgun but noticeably slowed down. I've streamed the beta Doom 2 maps on my channel a while ago and I was surprised to see how similar many of the maps were looking at this point in time, while others were obviously unfinished and very unpolished. Dead Simple in the beta looks more like a rough sketch/prototype for what it was going to become than an actual level, and of course otbers such as the Living End which are very incomplete. I did like some choices in the beta that sadly got changed in the final product, one such thing that stood out to me was the interior of a red building in the city maps that's filled with Imps. The hellish, organic design of the interior looked so much better here than what we ended up with.

The pump-action SSG graphics were clearly just placeholders, especially given that it's nothing more than the normal shotgun sprites except edited to look like there's two barrels as opposed to just one. It seems like the proper break-action graphics were implemented very late in the game's development.