Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobus

[GZDoom] Mini Doom - Released!

this is a really neat idea, and the screenshots look awesome. especially the last shot with those nice long gstone paths over the blood, love it

Here's a tasty bump to let you know that this is now available to download.

E1 should be playable in almost any port, but you'll need ZDoom for E2 and E3 and you'll need hardware acceleration for E4, as I've done an experimental Hall of Mirrors room. Do let me know if there's any performance issues there, as my PC seems to slow momentarily before smoothing out when I first look at it, and it's pretty powerful. I'm open to replacing or altering the room.

Edited by Phobus : Updated download links to /idgames

This is so damn adorable, the itty bitty menu graphics and name of each map would be enough for a 5* from me, but the maps are genuinely good and feel like pure Doom romps despite using more advanced features with each one. You nailed the texturing and the gameplay was nice and comfortable. Good work with this one, Phobus.

@Phobus

I just played all 4 episodes and I really liked the little nodes used for the maps. The map that I liked the most was from the third episode, combining the big area from Unholy Cathedral, adding the small areas with switches from Limbo while fighting the mastermind AND finding the special secret to get the BFG? Solid stuff man.

I think I should have read the README first before trying to play E4 with Zandronum because guess what..........portals are a nope with that port. And the actual hall of mirrors (using the Line_Mirror special) does took a toll with the framerate (have a kinda decent laptop here but entering that room, it went from like 150 fps to nearly 5 fps). I had to use the automap instead to walk through that room.

In E4, some areas reminded me sometimes of Sigil, like the area near the yellow skull with the metallic fences and stuff...maybe it's just me heh

Btw, I guess that was a good idea to put secret keys to get the "special secret" and reward the player for the effort and correct me if I'm wrong but, I think I haven't saw anything of E1M9...

Anyway, solid mapset that it does a nice reminiscence of all episodes, compressed and keeping a steady difficulty.

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys - it makes a big difference to me to know people actually play (and hopefully enjoy) my maps!

@leodoom85 - I'm intrigued by the Line_Mirror special, I have to admit. There must be a way to make a Hall of Mirrors along the lines of what I did that doesn't impact performance so much. My only guess is to try and limit how often they reflect other mirrors... Which may even be a GZDoom setting, come to think of it.

E1 is a strange beast to try and riff on, because the "rules" are much clearer than for E2 and E3, but there are remarkably fewer clear motifs and ideas to reference or copy. E4 felt like a halfway house between the two, as the texturing scheme was pretty obvious, but the ideas for each individual map are quite specific. I think my choice of layout probably hindered the "E4-ness" of that map as well, but I was keen to do something with portals.

Yea, rendering ALL sectors at once by using that action will affect performance for sure, just like using a crapton of 3D sectors and stacked sectors/line portals.

Just played this blind so when I saw that hall of mirrors I was surprised because I thought it was vanilla. Good stuff all around and unlike in Ultimate Doom I felt it got better as it went along instead of the other way around.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @BoJustBo - I think there's something to be said for adding new features into classic game play and I hope more of the community embraces all the advances we've seen in time!