Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

My personal website updated

A legend‘s new resort ;) Good work, and thanks for reminding me of Geocities... hell was that a terrible hoster. 15 MB of webspace... 

lol @Tormentor667! Yeah, I seem to remember people referring to it as GeoSHITies! Never had a website there, but it was widely popular back in the day. I think my first host was at my ISP. 10mb space I think :D My own site costs me something like 40$ a year and I have 10GB.

Looks nice! I gave up on having a site and just made a public Google Drive folder in the end, because the maintenance was difficult and it didn't seem to have much of a viewership.

I totally understand @Phobus. Years ago when I was reviewing levels and hosting wads I probably aimed at having a website that people would come back to frequently. There aren't many of those kinda personal websites anymore. It's all centered around big ones like Doomworld. Or groups in Facebook for that matter. For me now the website is more like a personal portfolio where I can display my work and maintain full control over it. It's not about viewership at all. It's oldschool, I know, but I like it. I'm just oldfashioned like that :)

Looks good Chris. :D

I found out over the years that I'm pretty bad at maintaining a personal website. Maybe I should fix up the place I have on webs.com. I started to do that and then forgot about it again...

I say go for it! I do it also because I've always enjoyed make websites. And it's an excellent way of showcasing ones work :)

7 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

I say go for it! I do it also because I've always enjoyed make websites. And it's an excellent way of showcasing ones work :)

That`s what got me into the business 10 years ago - www.dg-media.com / www.danielgimmer.de :)

"Not the one who asks people to have a seat over there"

Best. Custom. Title. Ever.

Good luck with Wordpress. I have used it twice and been horrified both times. Glad I am a PHP/MySQL developer and have made my own systems. Site does the job. I remember playing CH Retro back in the day and being impressed.

My first site was on Geocities in the late 90s. Taught myself to hand code HTML stealing code from @Mordeth's site and figuring out how it worked. Hand coding to this day. Always get fed up with the crappy, messy code generated by CMS systems.

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

"Not the one who asks people to have a seat over there"

Best. Custom. Title. Ever.

Good luck with Wordpress. I have used it twice and been horrified both times. Glad I am a PHP/MySQL developer and have made my own systems. Site does the job. I remember playing CH Retro back in the day and being impressed.

My first site was on Geocities in the late 90s. Taught myself to hand code HTML stealing code from @Mordeth's site and figuring out how it worked. Hand coding to this day. Always get fed up with the crappy, messy code generated by CMS systems.

I'm glad you liked CH Retro, thanks!

I guess no matter what profession you're in: If you know stuff about that regular people don't, you'll always think the casual way isn't as good. Or something like that. I see what you mean and if I could program like you I'd probably also have made it myself from scratch. I used to work in IT and I was actually educated as a programmer in JAVA back in 2004. But I never really got any good at it and went the way of the support/technician instead. Today I work as a middle-school teacher. Anyway, WP does the job for me. I don't have the time nor the interest in learning PHP or SQL. WP will have to do :)

Cool stuff! I have a soft spot for personal doom sites. it's fun to see what people come up with when they have complete control over how to present their stuff (i.e. more so than forum posts or textfiles), adds a neat contextual layer. As for the site itself, I'd suggest making the screenshots on the D2/UDOOM pages a bit bigger, as it's hard to get an idea for the maps at a glance because they're so tiny :p (by contrast, the ones on the community projects page look great)

@Ribbiks thank you! I had a feeling those images might be on the small side, thanks for reminding me. I'll fiddle around with it some more.

@Slipgate Tourist oh wow an nostalgia hit indeed.

I wonder if the old internet archive pages still has my old geocities website. I was a kid inspired by animations and stickdeath.

Thanks guys. Guestbook, you say? Hmm, that's suitably oldschool. Perhaps I should add one :)

This is great, but really no one go to that shady geocities.ws for hosting.   Neocities is much better and old school geocities staff are actually involved in it.   I plan to make a site there.

Edited by Gokuma

Why did I laugh so hard at that video, @Gokuma!? Thanks, I needed that video in my life! :D

Updated my website with a .... yes, GUESTBOOK! Fucking posers, man, don't have that shit on their page! I do! YEAH!!

And I'm gradually making more and more pages. This time I added Flay the Obscene - Reversed and more stuff on the Community projects page. Ohh, and a while back I changed sizes on many of the screenshots to make them bigger.

Looks nice!

Clean, easy to read, lots of content, and now a guest book! heh

Actually I need to update the Doom Connector site after seeing yours, geez. 

I've finally finished updated the website with all core content. It took me longer than expected to write about all my levels way back to the beginning including some levels that have never been featured on the site before or uploaded to the archives. On the old site I didn't have anything older than my Flay the Obscene series. That's been rectified now.

Spoiler

The levels that are "new":

I've also added more links to the frontpage and a bit of trivia.

Let me know here or in a PM if you have any comments, requests etc. Ohh and... sign my guestbook! (thanks Gokuma and Jason Sloan!)

I already know I'll be having a party playing all of those nice wads you're sharing :p

cool site, it has a bit of everything one could look for.

Thank you @OleBumma! And thanks to the rest of you that signed my guestbook. It's oldschool and we fucking love it!

EDIT nov. 14th: Fixed two links to /idgames. Thanks OleBumma for letting me know.

Edited by Chris Hansen

20 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

I've finally finished updated the website with all core content. It took me longer than expected to write about all my levels way back to the beginning including some levels that have never been featured on the site before or uploaded to the archives.

Hide contents

The levels that are "new":

Thank you for making these available! It's great to have them curated on your site.

We DooMers always had an advantage with the brushed metal, having our properly tiling shawn2 and flat23.