Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

what source port is simalar to the engine used in doom 64?

the reason why i'm asking is because I want to create a custom level for doom 64. and I want a source port that has all the properties of the doom 64 engine.

(rooms on top of rooms, enemies that teleport in, demon keys that upgrade the unmaker, etc.) is there a source port of doom that could theoretically make a custom doom 64 level?

No source port is using that engine.

But that being said, your best shot would be GZDoom, or the reverse-engineered D64 EX port for PC since both are advanced. I think that when the GZDoom based reverse-engineered port GEC PSX Doom/Doom 64 will be finalized it will also have some editing tools released so you could try to make content for that one as well.

Kaiser made Doom64 EX and he's pretty much a legend when it comes to reverse-engineering, even having been part of two Strife reverse-engineering efforts (one of which became part of the official re-release). He has gone through some great pains to recreate Doom 64 as well as it could possibly be done and you won't really find any better effort for recreating it -- barring a source release that's unlikely to happen. :)

2 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

the reason why i'm asking is because I want to create a custom level for doom 64. and I want a source port that has all the properties of the doom 64 engine.

(rooms on top of rooms, enemies that teleport in, demon keys that upgrade the unmaker, etc.) is there a source port of doom that could theoretically make a custom doom 64 level?

Doom 64 does not have rooms on top of rooms. It's all faked with moving sectors while the player is away climbing some stairs thanks to the macro system, and thanks to the renderer being able to show walls "behind" the sky.

If you want to make a custom level for Doom 64, then Doom64 EX is your best shot.

If you just want to make a custom level that uses Doom 64 trappings and features, then it's probably simpler to go with GZDoom.

3 hours ago, seed said:

No source port is using that engine.

But that being said, your best shot would be GZDoom, or the reverse-engineered D64 EX port for PC since both are advanced. I think that when the GZDoom based reverse-engineered port GEC PSX Doom/Doom 64 will be finalized it will also have some editing tools released so you could try to make content for that one as well.

Right!! We must release the editing tools for it.

@memes4lyfe I suggest you to use Doom64EX if you want to make custom maps. GZDoom [GEC] MAster edition has its editing tools unreleased so far. I have used them but we haven't published them though...

If you do use EX, remember there's a thread in Console Doom you can post your pics.