Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghot

Question about .deh files

Ok, I'm using ZDoom and ZDL on Win 7 x64.

I've been downloading some of the megawads from Doomworld.  Some have .deh files.

What are these for?  Do I need them?  If so, how do I launch them via ZDL?

Thx in advance.

A .deh file is a DehackED file. DehackED was an old method of modding doom which involved patching the executable itself to change text and enemy behaviour.

These days, most ports still support .deh files, and they are usually loaded with the -deh command line parameter, followed by the name of the .deh file.

2 hours ago, Alper002 said:

A .deh file is a DehackED file. DehackED was an old method of modding doom which involved patching the executable itself to change text and enemy behaviour.

These days, most ports still support .deh files, and they are usually loaded with the -deh command line parameter, followed by the name of the .deh file.

I understand that.  But is there a way to just drag and drop a .deh file into ZDL (launcher)?

I don't know about ZDL, but most ports from PrBoom+ onwards support DeHackEd patches in the wad itself. If that's the way you wanna roll, just copy and paste the patch into the wad using SLADE, rename it to DEHACKED and off you trot.

Unless the patch is in there already of course. Most modern releases do that.

4 hours ago, Obsidian said:

I don't know about ZDL, but most ports from PrBoom+ onwards support DeHackEd patches in the wad itself. If that's the way you wanna roll, just copy and paste the patch into the wad using SLADE, rename it to DEHACKED and off you trot.

Unless the patch is in there already of course. Most modern releases do that.

Well the wad works, with just adding it to ZDL and launching.  But in the .zip file it has a .deh file as well.  It has instructions like those mentioned in the 1st reply, but I'd rather just run it thru the launcher ZDL, if possible.

Edited by Ghot

2 hours ago, Ghot said:

Well the wad works, with just adding it to ZDL and launching.  But in the .zip file it has a .deh file as well.  It has instructions like those mentioned in the 1st reply, but I'd rather just run it thru the launcher ZDL, if possible.

SLADE.

5 hours ago, Ghot said:

Most likely the wad has the deh embedded and so there's nothing you need to do. Or are you certain it's not loaded when you start the wad via ZDL?