Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sir Hattington

What is your favorite Doom weapon

What is your favorite Doom weapon  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Doom weapon?

• Chainsaw
    • Fist
    • Pistol
    • Shotgun
    • Super shotgun
    • Chaingun
    • Rocket launcher
    • Plasma rifle
    • BFG 9000

What is your favorite Doom weapon? I saw the least favorite doom weapon thread and I decided to make a poll on peoples favorite Doom weapon a poll like this may have been done before, but I haven't seen it

Despite being only of special use, the BFG9000, hands down.

It is always a satisfying sight how it can mow down large hordes of monsters, and despite its functionality being nonsense technically it is great from a tactical point of view. It is also the only "super-weapon" in any game I ever played that really delivered on the promise of a super-weapon without compromising it for balancing. Far too many times, the super weapons are harmful to the player, reducing their usability (see Strife's secondary mauler attack or the Sigil for good examples) or their effectiveness against bigger monsters have been compromised (Heretic and Hexen are very guilty here.) What's also a common occurence is that the super-weapon is so gimmicky that it provides no advantage.

Doom did everything right here: The weapon is extremely powerful, it has no crippling limitations against specific monsters, and the only compensation is that it consumes a lot of ammo and takes a bit of time to charge before firing.

I think I will go with the SSG. Its sound is just so satisfying. Its damage per attack (fired shot) on a single target is almost on par with the RL. But unlike RL, it doesn't have the risk of doing self damage. Its ammo is also common.

Again, it depends on the map. But if sufficient ammo is given, the BFG9000 is my best buddy. It uses mechanics that i've never seen in any game before or after, and it allows you to burn a flaming rift into a crowd of meat that blocks your way, which makes it excel in terms of crowd shaping. Oh, and i think that two-shotting Cyberdemons is one of the most satisfying things you can do in the game.

When the BFG isn't an available option, it's time for the SSG/RL-combo. SSG is a reliable allrounder with an damage output like the RL but without the danger of rocket suicide, and it's firing rhythm can put me in a zen-like mood. RL is very useful on long distances, and it's high firing rate and splash damage turn crowds of mid-tiers into mush, but it is limited by the very real danger of killing yourself. I can't really decide between these two.

A+doom+comp_ee6050_6154262.jpg

(I stole this from FeverDreamer)

EDIT: Because why not, here are some old threads on this topic as well:

Edited by Doomkid

SSG even If I havn't played doom ii that much, I played a little of it many years ago.  Used to be chaingun, but that SSG is something else..

The evil dead boomstick.

Hard to say honestly, between BFG, RL, Shotgun, SSG, and Unmaker (oh yeah by the way, you forgot Doom 64's new weapon).

I chose SSG, though I'm not exactly decided since it depends on the circumstances. Even I get tired of shotgunning everything, heh.

The BFG. No other weapon has so many tactical nuances associated; use is constant engagement. Five random 'moves' pulled from a hat: 

- Hurling the ball at a distant target, preferably slow or fat, reserving the blast impact for the monster right near you.  

- Shooting just before entering a teleporter to a new area -- the slow wind-up means you get a shot but without having made noise that registers. Only useful on rare occasions, but very satisfying when it is. 

- Stacking prefires by lobbing balls into the abyss, in order to overwhelm stuff with tracer damage. 

- Firing a shot and turning around to emit tracers from your rear end, a devastating nuclear fart. (Actually a useful form of multi-tasking at times.) 

- 'Wasting' the ball on a wall, for quick and reliable tracer production.

I purposely didn't even mention cyb two-shotting, but one can write an entire list for that alone.

And of course, any use whatsoever is a timing and spatial orientation mini-test involving ball and tracer, orientation and positioning. 

Chainsaw. if I see a chainsaw in a map it's either an old-school anachronism secret in which case the map will be casual as heck, or you're actually meant to use the chainsaw in which case it's exactly my kind of difficulty. I don't have slaughter brain and can't traverse a big room constantly firing and weaving through projectiles but I can do guerrilla warfare

The rocket launcher. I never really liked it at first, but after a year of getting used to it, it is so damn satisfying to use.

There's only one weapon that deserves my undying love, one that has helped me slay more demons than anything else: THE SUPER SHOTGUN. I mean, it is such a fun weapon to use and tears through demons like nothing else.
And then Doom 2016 came out and made it just perfection. When fully upgraded...

The BFG is always going to be the most powerful, but it's only really a weapon you can use in certain circumstances if you have the ammo for it.
But there's always enough ammo in the world to fuel a SSG rampage.
Shotgun until it's dead.

11 hours ago, pc234 said:

All the weapons don't hold a candle to the absolute beast, the unberserked fist.

THIS! Guns are for wusses!

15 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only shotgun lover. It's soooo satisfying.

If the Super-Shotgun didn't sound so retarded or take so fucking long to reload it would be a difficult choice... but it's not lol

8 hours ago, DoomSpud said:

If the Super-Shotgun didn't sound so retarded or take so fucking long to reload it would be a difficult choice... but it's not lol

You've come to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker...

Actually, side note: That's the biggest problem with the Resurrection of Evil SSG: it's a LOT slower.