Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanilla_d00m

zdoom autoexec

I tried making my own autoexec config file by making another copy of zdoom.cfg, renaming the new .cfg to autoexec.cfg then erasing everythig on it and putting the following lines:

(So i don't have to set it everytime I load a level, die, enter new level etc)

FOV 130

R_DRAWTRANS 0   (so the fireballs are not clear... but vanilla solid)

VID_FPS 1

But I still have to load those all everytime... is there a way to do it? i'm using ZDOOM 2.6.1

Your ZDoom configuration file is actually an .ini file. Make sure you've changed the extension to .cfg. If you can't see the file extensions, open the "view" tab in your folder options menu in Windows Explorer, and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types."

Edit: I tested those settings on your version of ZDoom -- the bottom two work, but it looks like the FOV is reset on level load. I know the latest version of GZDoom doesn't do this, but if you feel like sticking to that version, the best workaround I can think of is setting a keybind which sets the FOV to 130, which you'd have to press at the beginning of each level. Tedious, I know.

Edited by maxmanium

Word.  I got the bottom two.  I just play with the default vanilla FOV now, the crosshair reduced so much of the problem I had with this game.

But not everything.. still get a little nauseous but not as bad as a month or two ago.  I actually beat sigiil because of a crosshair. 

"I know its not vanilla... but I can't play if i dont use crosshair" :((((((

Great game.. I wish everybody tried this game at least once. 

Solid vanilla fireballs and the FPS counter are automatic now :)

Screenshot_Doom_20190816_220837_03.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190816_224545.png

Edited by vanilla_d00m

BTW have u tried zdoom 2.8.1. I recall it having better performance and improved options compared to older versions. Maybe it might not reset FOV after level load. Just saying.

The default FOV is fine.  The crosshair did the trick it seems. 

I prefer 2.6.1... I've beaten Ultimate DOOM & Sigil with it.  The sound the monsters make when you take them out isn't to loud like the new versions of zdoom.  2.6.1 is just like dosbox.

I would use  dosbox instead, but right now I have the best settings to play doom without falling off my chair from the dizzyness it use to cause me.  I sit on the floor now. 

If I made it this far and beaten Ultimate DOOM & sigil.. I think I'm doing something right.  The crosshair does make it feel anti-vanilla, I can play now though.

5 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

The default FOV is fine.  The crosshair did the trick it seems. 

I prefer 2.6.1... I've beaten Ultimate DOOM & Sigil with it.  The sound the monsters make when you take them out isn't to loud like the new versions of zdoom.  2.6.1 is just like dosbox.

The sound code hasn't changed one bit between 2.6.1 and 2.8.1, you may just have used different settings.