Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

Abandon [final]

play this game every day and nothing like some hard maps to let me know how "rusty" I still am. 

goddamn

So I did something here, and more is coming.

It's not much (MAP02 utterly destroyed me, you'll see some "real" platforming action there), but it's something, and hey I did my best. There's also zero rage.

Edited by seed

Part 2 is here, two more maps.

It's more action this time around I promise, no more falling into pits thanks to failing at platforming :p .

Part 3, just one map this time around (MAP06).

I mean it was a 3 hour struggle so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Language gets worse this time around but it's ok otherwise.

Part 5, MAP08.

Cursing intensifies this time around near the end, but nothing too bad. I promise.

Oh I remember maps 5,11 and 13!  Time to play through the whole thing. 

Looks amazing.

Edit: Doesn't load on an old version of gzdoom I had lying around due to a "Bad texture directory" error. Up to date version of gzdoom works fine.

Edited by Lucky_Edie : Forgot a word

My cat thinks the wad is way too easy.
You should add in more Arch-Viles and platforming sequences on thin pillars !

Anyway, I'm currently playing beta1 and I'm having a great time overall (despite the massive frustration and pain you guys forced upon us).
The wad does exactly what it said on the tin, i.e. it's a love-letter to Sunder and it does it well.

Map 09 is my favorite so far (I'm at map 11), but all the maps I've seen were great and memorable enough.
Awesome job guys.

MAP09 is here and here. Split in two parts since it took me four hours and a half in total :p . Probably one of the easier maps IMO.

But this time around, I think there may be some balancing issues at play. I've managed to run out of ammo completely twice on this map, in a continuous play no less. First time it happened I am inclined to believe it was just my poor handling of the blue key card room, but the second time, at the very end... I very much refuse to believe it was yet another unlucky coincidence. Not twice on the same map.

MAP11 is here. Another "easier" map, I like that, and it's awfully reminiscent of another map I played a while ago, with lots of oranges and fully transparent floors, but can't remember its origin. Good fun.

You might ask "what's up with MAP10??" Uhh... no, NO. Let's not even go there, it only opens a barrel of worms... suffice to say I ultimately skipped it for a reason...

Finally played and finished map 10. Took about 5.5 hours, had to restart the map in glboom+ after running into the lost souls in GZdoom because it ran so poorly it was basically unplayable. 

I handled all the fights poorly so won't comment too much on them. Cheesed the big hallway fight by vile jumping to the spiders and hiding near the lift. Platforming parts were fine, sometimes struggled to reach the megasphere ledge near the bfg. That cyberdemon at the start is placed perfectly, it killed me dozens of times. 

Imo the bfg rev/hk room should have pain sector floor, to match the 4 cyber/rev area.

I think that bfg hk room should be blocked off once completed, it seemed like bait to go back in there at any point as you get blocked in by the monsters so may as well block it off so players don't spend time in that room trying to cheese the fights. Additional in that room you can hit the trigger to close the doorway off again when you reenter it, not sure if this is intended behaviour.

Lastly, the big hole in the ground near the yellow key could use some decorations, either around it or in the middle, perhaps dead marine corpse?

Clip of the bfg room door closing again 

MAP12 is here.

Not bad, relatively short but the start annoyed me a little bit. Language doesn't get as bad as the previous part, sorry for the excessive cursing there, but MAP10 kinda just ruined my mood there for the whole thing there. I screwed up on a few occasions here as well, but it's fine, honest!

Most of MAP13 here, stopped near the end after receiving some... miserable news, completely unrelated to this.

So this was the mesmerizing red map from the screenshots. Loving it :3.

I finally got around to downloading this after taking a lengthy hiatus from playing Doom. Being more of a watcher, I decided to watch very little of others streaming and encourage spoilers and play Abandon for myself.

I only got through the first map today and found most of the encounters fun. I enjoyed the strategic traversal around imps and the rogue Archvile in the open at the start, good source of pressure while hitting the switch, then running past the lowered wall to escape danger was a nice intense intro to what the wad has in store. 

However I found the encounter after with the Pain Elementals, revanent and Chaingunners was easy to cheese, using the corner while methodically taking them out. A little disappointing how easy that trap was, but the areas that proceeded did not disappoint, I had a lot of fun mowing the revs and pinkies down in tight quarters with the rocket launcher, knowing that any bad shot would have me meet a swift death.

The room with the Mancubi and Arachnotrons was fairly comfortable once I commenced infighting. I'm eager to play more now.

Also, thanks for making this set Benjogami, appreciate your time to design + share your maps with us. 👍🏼 

played maps 1 to 5 over the last few days, everything's gone smoothly. 

hell yeah, this is doom.

Another small detail missed in map 10: The gate/fence doesn't extend the entire length, the other side is fine.

0qMB6XS.png

Edited by Lucky_Edie

On 9/18/2019 at 8:37 AM, bemused said:

Whilst (some) effort has already been made to make maps compatible for coop play, zdaemon simply wont play most of them at all due to its linedef limitations, and zandronum will probably just crash or lag out when faced with this many monsters awake simultaneously. At the very least the maps will probably need some dedicated coop playtesting, tweaking and editing after the single player version is finished :)

I have to say that I opened all the maps in Zandronum and only one of them gave me any significant slowdown. I'd definitely love to see a co-op version as I play a lot of WADs with my brother, but we've all but run out of slaughter maps to play!

Many thanks to all of you lovely people providing feedback, it's very much appreciated <3 
Proper co-op implementation will probably not exist til beta 3 at the earliest, but is definitely on the "to-do" list!

14 minutes ago, bemused said:

Proper co-op implementation will probably not exist til beta 3 at the earliest, but is definitely on the "to-do" list!

Awesome to hear. I'm more than happy to wait given that co-op isn't the primary aim of the WAD. I'm just pretty excited because it looks so awesome!

No problem, I hope that some... things I've said when I was angry won't be taken to heart, however.

Today we've got plenty of action and many death, so far this has been the most productive session in terms of number of finished levels. MAP13 got finished, and so did MAP14 and 15. Good maps, not particularly fond of MAP15's rather repulsive look but I guess that's by choice, just not my kind of stuff. I found the balancing at times questionable too, specifically in a room with Revs and Cacos + a Megasphere, and in the room where you get the BFG. In the first I ran out of ammo, and in the latter well, I almost ran out of ammo but not quite. Not sure if that is a "me" issue or not though, that's up to more seasoned players and mappers to tell I think.

Part 11 and Part 12 :D .

Part 13 (MAP16) is here.

Another personal favorite in terms of atmosphere, but I found it a bit confusing to navigate at times as much of it tends to look all the same, especially from the base. But I liked it otherwise. I do get quite self-critical near the end though, keep that in mind when proceeding.

Played through map 16. 

The first fight is pretty easy if you push the rev early. 

Second fight (red skull) had a few medkits left over, 3-4 on average for my mediocre skill, used them later when I was cleaning the monsters out during the finale. Honestly surprised no more revs teleported into the cages and I was allowed to freely clear them. 

Blue skull key areas was fine, the fight up the lift was really easy, the actual key fight was rough. The switches to leave don't take too long to open up so you can leave really early imo, might be best if they were delayed by 1 second each. 

Red keycard: Weird fight, I managed to get around the viles and used that area for safety, leaving 2 megaspheres behind for later use. Note: The barons had been killed by the double cyber in the previous fight.

Yellow keycard: Fight was good, ended up leaving a megasphere and a lot of cells behind. Used these later during the finale. The blue armour still seems like an odd addition to the area and not all that neccessary. Also found a HoM in this area.

BFG / Yellow skull: Found the bfg after getting 4 keys already, viles were adequate, I dragged barons first then looped around so they wouldn't get in the way. The yellow skull fight was actually a lot of fun, at first I thought it'd be generic 2 shots but ended up being a lot trickier. 

Blue keycard: Fight was rather easy with the BFG and 2 megaspheres.

Finale: Amazing, used mid-fight saves as the fight takes a while. Ended up with 2 megas leftoever.
You can just skip the finale by running right back to the lift to the exit, there's nothing stopping you, which feels wrong. 

Other notes: The megasphere on the east that's somewhat hidden over the edge could use a torch/candle decoration to help mark it, it feels like a secret in its current state.

The map looks amazing, all the monster closets work and there's plenty of health/ammo. Good fun. 

Starting map 17, is it intended to be able to skip part of the map by using the rad suit at the start to reach a teleporter?

Continuing with my casual playthrough of 17, editing this post rather than double posting.

In the chaingunner wall, manc on pillars area you can release the chaingunners without releasing the HellKnights/viles. In the video I'm slowly turning towards the switch while spamming "use" until I hear the chaingunners raise. GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4

You can also sr50 across the gap.

Found time to play through the map finally, overall very mean map. 

First fight: Had trouble finding the switch to progress

Second fight: Solid, not much to say

Chaingunner wall: Holy shit, they destroyed me. Ended up using 5 shots of bfg on each wall and then looping around the back to drag the viles to one side, seemed somewhat consistent. 

Fighting on the steps: Loved it, favourite fight. Reminded me of VVVVVV's 60 second dodge challenge, getting the health is extremely risky. 

The hall: Odd the switch turns into a converyor belt for a few seconds otherwise, I see no issues with this fight. 

Finale: Nightmare to work out the timing on the lifts. Finally used a mid-fight saves after getting 2 invulns. Couldn't find any way to break the fight. The texture on the cover of the hidden switches seemed misaligned but I might just be crazy. 

Edited by Lucky_Edie

Just starting map 15, running around it atm in gzdoom 4.4.2, somehow bumped the blue key at the start. Video is awful, wasn't meant to be recording but shadowplay saved the last bit. I can't replicate it but I did managed to 'jump' up there with the splash damage from the cyberdemon. 

Edit: Managed to replicate the key grab in glboom+ 2.5.1.4 after several attempts. Not sure how or why it happens.

Edited by Lucky_Edie

Damn it, I'm too old for this shit... this is intense...

But the architecture is something else, you do Sunder proud. 

Uberkudos to this map set

Found some time to play map 15. 

You can hide from the rev hoard at the yellow skullkey fight by sitting in the corner at the entrance as they can't get down the stairs and the cyber doesn't seem interested in moving. Screenshot for reference: https://i.imgur.com/0HiKqP9.png 

The platforming to the yellow skull felt short, there's a lot of room there and it felt like I was platforming to a medkit not a key, even 1 more pillar would make it feel better imo. 

There's a HoM like effect on the rising pit in the HK/Baron/Double cyber encounter.  Glboom+ 2.5.1.4

I also love how there's a switch for free pain elementals that isn't required to progress. 

Only other thing of note is I found the Pinky hoard/Caco encounter in the pit extremely challenging, only to realize as I was leaving that I completely missed the blue armour in the corner. When I entered the room and saw all the ammo in the middle and the stimpacks around the Blue SkullKey I figured that was all that was given.

Overall really solid map, I loved the detailing, theme and the platforming towards the end. Favourite fight was the finale. I'll probably run through it again later and update this post with more of my thoughts.