Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

Abandon [final]

2 hours ago, Benjogami said:

RC1 is here! Bugs have been fixed (including co-op issues), small and sparse UV balance changes have been made, and skill settings have been added. UV is unlikely to get any balance changes as this point, but we can sure use feedback on HMP and HNTR, and of course let us know about any bugs you encounter. Thanks and enjoy. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsifbq3ibo2l1g6/Abandon_RC1.zip?dl=1

So excited to go through this again. Absolute monster of a wad. 

Edited by nobleflame

Oh, wow, I'm so happy to see this released! 

I played some of these maps before but a few of them turned out to be just a tad bit too hard for me, so I can't wait to jump into this again on HMP!

Oooooh, skill settings! I can finally stop... ahem, 'trivializing' this masterpiece with RO!

Will give it a HNTR playthrough as soon as possible. 

6 hours ago, Benjogami said:

RC1 is here! Bugs have been fixed (including co-op issues), small and sparse UV balance changes have been made, and skill settings have been added. UV is unlikely to get any balance changes as this point, but we can sure use feedback on HMP and HNTR, and of course let us know about any bugs you encounter. Thanks and enjoy. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsifbq3ibo2l1g6/Abandon_RC1.zip?dl=1

Excellent.

Up to map09 of my HNTR plythrough at the moment, and I must admit I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the team nailed the scaling down of difficulty - truth to be told, given the mappers' background I wasn't entirely confident that HNTR would truly be... well, not too rough, but I stand corrected. Ammo is plenty, health is not scarce but still valuable, cybies are still there where they need to be (aka remove the tedium of cleanup without being a real threat). Very clever use of mancubi, the second best street sweepers, as cleanup subsitutes here and there. Died only a handful of times, little enough to provide a not so frustrating experience. No outstanding bugs to report at the moment.

The set is still probably a bit on the high end of the difficulty one would expect from a HNTR, but that's mostly because of stuff that can't be easily remedied with skill level tuning - the platforming, where it's there, is still very punishing, and some encounters remain rather frustrating simply because of the geometry they take place in (ie the dual cybies on a ledge in MAP02). Since this is Boom one could in theory add fighting estate that appear only on lower skill levels, but it's probably not worth opening that can of worms this late in development. 

Overall, if the player is willing to accomodate for a few hiccups I'd say HNTR seems to be on spot for the first half of the megawad. Will comment more once I get to the second half. 

Good to see this approaching the end of development, great work!  I saw one minor thing while looking thru the maps:

Spoiler

The starting pad of map05 was missing some side textures

doom00.png.d1fc9700098b046a4e6838e0ea094c06.png

Another map is somewhat different from the previous one in beauty and fantasy.What impresses me the most level 4 green space and level 5 stalactites.

I've been playing through on HMP and having a great time. I initially played it on UV for the first beta a year or so ago, where map02 and 03 kicked my arse and made me feel like this wad was well above my skill level, but HMP on this newer version has been very approachable for me - so far :P

I've encountered a bug on Map05, the monsters in the teleporter closets on the left side of the map never woke up for me in my playthrough. I checked and they work fine on the beta1 version I also have, so maybe some sectors got mysteriously unjoined?

(picture if my explanation is unclear)

Spoiler

image.png.394b8491a56da9cd2c81a11297cb8cb6.png

The exit is unlocked, and they're just asleep in their monster closets. Running past them wakes them up, and lets them spawn in correctly, so it seems to just be a problem with sound propagation. Opening the secret teleporter doesn't seem to wake them up either.

The TEXTURE1 lump contains five texture definitions with no patches: BRICK11, BRICK12, MIDGRATE, SKY3, and WOOD10. All of these, along with METAL_E, METAL_F, SCOBRSW1, WFALL1, WFALL2, WFALL3, and WFALL4, are defined multiple times. This does not seem to affect the source ports but the problem for me is that unfortunately Eureka immediately closes on startup if it detects patchless texture definitions. This is rather annoying, I can work around it, but would you be willing to clean up the texture definitions to remove the duplicate entries, especially those with a zero patch count?

Thank you in advance for considering -- it is hard to debug anything when one's editor cannot open the wad :).

(and honestly, this is a bug in Eureka too, it really should be able to cope, not to mention that it incorrectly reports ASHWALL2 as the problematic texture)

Thanks for the reports and feedback so far! I'll have a look at fixing all those, including the TEXTURE lump issues. I also noticed some weird stuff on MAP16 in the yellow keycard area.

Turnaround for RC2 will be much quicker than RC1, promise. :D

Both of these archviles dont have monster block lines. In map 03, the archvile fell off, revived stuff from the first fight and those guys were shooting me during the finale. In map 04 that guy fell off from one ssg shot in the back. The third image's death pits dont have block lines and I had a cyber get stuck, so revs could probably get stuck there too. 

dsda-doom 0.24.3 11_20_2022 8_06_08 PM.png

dsda-doom 0.24.3 11_20_2022 8_07_30 PM.png

dsda-doom 0.24.3 11_20_2022 8_06_49 PM.png

Here is a pacifist run of map17, in 2:21.

Spoiler

The teleporter lines surrounding the coffin-shaped secret teleporter are too far away from the solid interior. Thus one may access the teleporter before it is officially revealed through the hidden teleport in the exit tunnel. Given the radsuit at the start of the map, one can run to the coffin, jump across the pillars, and end up at the finale. Remaining silent for the duration ensures the player is left in peace while waiting for the exit lift switches to be uncovered.

I suspect this isn't intended :).

Somehow I went through map 5 without awakening the revenants and cyberdemons for the final fight, trivializing it (all I fought were the revenants stored in the hallways). Not a mapper, but I looked in UDB and I can't even tell if sound is transferred to those sectors at any point.

abandon map 5.png

Edited by Peristalsis

On 11/20/2022 at 8:13 PM, David Asaad said:

Both of these archviles dont have monster block lines. In map 03, the archvile fell off, revived stuff from the first fight and those guys were shooting me during the finale. In map 04 that guy fell off from one ssg shot in the back. The third image's death pits dont have block lines and I had a cyber get stuck, so revs could probably get stuck there too. 

dsda-doom 0.24.3 11_20_2022 8_06_08 PM.png

dsda-doom 0.24.3 11_20_2022 8_07_30 PM.png

dsda-doom 0.24.3 11_20_2022 8_06_49 PM.png

I thought the first one was intended: if you don't deal with him when you're downstairs, he becomes problematic later on. Since there is backtracking right before the final fight(where the caged viles are there is a switch that opens up after the pinky horde), you can circle back and finish off those enemies in the starting areas

30 minutes ago, mmjp08 said:

I thought the first one was intended: if you don't deal with him when you're downstairs, he becomes problematic later on. Since there is backtracking right before the final fight(where the caged viles are there is a switch that opens up after the pinky horde), you can circle back and finish off those enemies in the starting areas

#everythingsintended

Map05 is completely broken in this release, compared to the beta: as others have mentioned, the monster closets to the left remain dormant throughout. Equally, something is also messing with the monsters in the top right - if you shoot early on in the level, you wake all of the hellknights and revenants - this means that they don't teleport in and instead get stuck in the bottom left corner of the top right area. 

Other than that, no issues so far. 

Alright RC2 is here!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqydsd3zkghid7q/Abandon_RC2.zip?dl=1

Thank you for the reports everyone. MAP05 is back in action! And most of the other reports are resolved as well. I didn't add the block lines to MAP04 cause that's just the Boom life, don't want to bother the flyers with them. And I couldn't figure out that MAP01 trick rd posted, so it's not fixed either. ;)

Just started this pack today (UV, continuous, GZDoom), on map 6 so far. No issues in terms of monsters not spawning in, and the maps are proving to be a lot of fun to work through!

Only other thing to say is: Bemused... who hurt you enough to make you put those Archviles at the end of map 03? Absolutely sadistic choice.

Made it to map 10, only one issue so far. Map 09, the Cybies don't spawn in during the final fight, ended up missing 4 kills because of it. Not exactly sure why they didn't spawn in, they were alerted.

On 12/14/2022 at 2:53 PM, Flyxolydian said:

Made it to map 10, only one issue so far. Map 09, the Cybies don't spawn in during the final fight, ended up missing 4 kills because of it. Not exactly sure why they didn't spawn in, they were alerted.

Hmm, I wasn't able to reproduce. What port are you using? And do you mean the cybers in these cages?

image.png.6937dade7789c85cee1f85c6d6251ad1.png

They're actually killable from below, though it's quite time-consuming. I've heard that crushing barrels can be flakey, but seems unlikey it would affect all 4 barrels/cybers at the same time?! I have a potential solution for it, but I don't know if it's the culprit.

GZDoom, set to Boom compatibility. And yep, those cybers. I'll go through the map again when I've finished my initial playthrough, in case it was just a one-off (halfway through map 13 now, no more issues to report, but boy was map 10 HARROWING).

I'm not sure whether they actually do teleport in or not. Would it work to have them as long range snipers instead, and then have a teleporter by the exit to telefrag them all perhaps?

*EDIT* 

Just finished map 13. One cyber wouldn't teleport in during the final fight, I had to noclip to alert him. Despite that, Gehenna might now be my favourite DOOM map. The colour scheme, coupled with the fights being hard but fair, without being grindy, and the PSX music, really give off that sense of desolation. That vista when you leave the cliffside... wow. I may actually try to single-segment this one down the line...

Honestly surprised that more PSX DOOM music isn't used in WADS, it's such a fantastic soundtrack.

Edited by Flyxolydian : Adding to original post

Ah I see. I was able to reproduce the bug in GZDoom on Boom compatibility but not Boom (strict), so I'm gonna say it's a GZDoom issue and not something that I'll try to fix. Strict seems to be the way to go, not sure what the non-strict version is good for, lol.

On 12/17/2022 at 8:59 PM, Benjogami said:

Ah I see. I was able to reproduce the bug in GZDoom on Boom compatibility but not Boom (strict), so I'm gonna say it's a GZDoom issue and not something that I'll try to fix. Strict seems to be the way to go, not sure what the non-strict version is good for, lol.

I see, well I've switched over to Strict now, and haven't noticed much difference. Completed map 17, no more bugs to report, so I'll give a brief overview of my experiences of the WAD:

Up until now my hardest completed WAD had been Sunder. BOY does this blow Sunder out of the water in terms of difficulty. For the most part, the fights all felt well calibrated, whilst still being tough as all hell. I only had to savescum a couple of times throughout the WAD, which is a testament to how well it was all put together, (for reference, the only fights I couldn't beat straight up were the big hallway in map 10, the final fight on map 15... and about half of map 17... Jesus Christ Benjogami). It may well be a skill issue though, as I've only really been playing custom WADS for about 3 months now.

In terms of visuals, pretty much all of them are fantastic. The standouts for me are maps 6, 13, and 16. The former because it's just a spectacle to see the level open up, with those massive walls coming down in the distance each time. I've already voiced my thoughts on map 13, but map 16 is almost as good, purely because of the final fight (probably the single best 'city' fight I've ever experienced, truly felt like I was fighting a proper horde, weaving in and around the buildings to nail what I could). No issues with lag at all, even with the larger fights my laptop handled them fine). 

My only issues are with maps 10, and 17. Map 10 because the platforming sections were just a little obnoxious. For the life of me I could NOT grab those megaspheres when the Lost Soul wave hit (7.3k lost souls feels tad excessive too, it took fucking forever to kill them all hahaha), and I tried to for a solid half an hour. I could reach the platform fine, but could never make it back onto the main arena. Same issue with the ending platforming really, it was just as awkward to do. No issues other than that though, the hallway fight is hard as fuck, but the start is definitely the worst part of it.

Map 17 though... hoo boy. Dunno if it was just my playthrough, but that map was leaps and bounds harder than anything else in the WAD. The chaingunner wall took an hour to get through, but the real doozy is the revenant shack/caco and pain elemental cascade. I just could not beat this fight, no matter what I tried. There being nearly 400 Revenants probably doesn't help, but I had to give myself an invuln to beat it, which then screwed me over for the Archvile wave because most of the corpses were inside the building (had to gift another invuln). Is the intended strategy to have the Revs filter out? I can't see anyone being able to single-segment this one, all of the others are doable though. 

Overall, killer WAD. I'll go through it again and try to beat those few fights legitimately down the line, but it's definitely one of my favourites now. Well done guys!

Excellent work, guys! It’s, beautiful and spicy af. First WAD I had to step away from for a few weeks to recharge, because that MAP04 is kicking my ass. Sunlust is a great wad, but holy shit, difficulty-wise it’s like comparing Doom1 to Plutonia.

I will not rest until a beat every single map on UV!

I'm on the very last fight of map 17. Completed every fight so far without saves (I do save after each fight but never during). I've noticed that the secret platforming section in map 17 now no longer teleports you away from the final area, but instead back into the centre of it. This is mean. lol

It's an amazing experience. Thanks for all of the hard work.