Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

Abandon [final]

Hey, do you people happen to have twitch/youtube videos of those playthroughs? I can't last 20 seconds in any of the fights (starting from map 1) and I'd like to see how some of those later maps are defeated. I haven't seen human playing of the later maps at all. While there are TASes by Red Recluse, I am - sadly - unable to watch them because I get seasick from the spins.

11 hours ago, slowfade said:

Hey, do you people happen to have twitch/youtube videos of those playthroughs? I can't last 20 seconds in any of the fights (starting from map 1) and I'd like to see how some of those later maps are defeated. I haven't seen human playing of the later maps at all. While there are TASes by Red Recluse, I am - sadly - unable to watch them because I get seasick from the spins.

I don't sadly. I might add that you can always play on lower difficulties to get a feel for the map? Mostly, it's about spacing, prioritising targets, speed and movement. Not very helpful, but it's a start!

Personally, I've UVMaxed all levels apart from 17 and only using saves before / after each fight. Almost like treating each fight as its own unique level. I can't even imagine UVMaxing these levels saveless. That's some Zeromaster shit and even then I think he'd have a rough time with some of the levels (particularly map 17). 

The thing that made me improve with DOOM is UVMaxing (saveless) wads like Eviternity, Ancient Aliens, and eventually Sunlust. Abandon's fights are very hard, but a fair challenge when you get a feel for the challenge the aforementioned wads present. 

Ah, too bad! I've played through the maps using cheats to see the sights and there's no hope a lower difficulty would help me any -- pretty much all those tactics are beyond me... Even though I'm not an expert, at all, I felt it was more challenging than Sunder (which it probably is, considering there are UV-maxes of each Sunder map by more than one person and none of most of these). But one day there might be something more, maybe even by the end of this year, as the skill level just seems to keep rising.

28 minutes ago, slowfade said:

Ah, too bad! I've played through the maps using cheats to see the sights and there's no hope a lower difficulty would help me any -- pretty much all those tactics are beyond me... Even though I'm not an expert, at all, I felt it was more challenging than Sunder (which it probably is, considering there are UV-maxes of each Sunder map by more than one person and none of most of these). But one day there might be something more, maybe even by the end of this year, as the skill level just seems to keep rising.

In my humble view, Abandon is much harder than Sunder. The levels aren't as long per se, but the fights require a lot more precision. 

Have a go at the wads I suggested above (in the order I listed). You'll see how much you progress over time.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:15 PM, slowfade said:

Navenos' playthrough up to Map09. Note that these are recorded in beta versions.

On 1/31/2023 at 3:15 AM, slowfade said:

I haven't seen human playing of the later maps at all. While there are TASes by Red Recluse, I am - sadly - unable to watch them because I get seasick from the spins.

This person's TAS is not even that good to watch, and yes, the spins are obnoxious.

nobleflame: I've gone through them saving a thousand times and using iddqd every once in a while, but maybe I should try again, and in that order, once I have more time.

Nefelibeta: Yeah, seen all those. Good stuff.

I'd just like to add that after many, many attempts, I have finally finished Abandon on UV, with all secrets and kills, from pistol starting each level. I saved before and after each major fight, but never in between (treating each fight as its own micro level).  

Thanks for the ride you beautiful bastards.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:41 PM, Benjogami said:

Co-op fixes are coming soon, hopefully. Most of the maps are already fixed up (difficulty settings added as well), just waiting on the last few maps.

The inescapable pits will probably all stay, though, sorry. :D

Heyho, I just wanted to ask if it is coop-friendly now? Last time we tested it was in '21.

I would like to host this beauty for the next upcoming DOOMDADDIE-survival events.

Thx in advance and have a nice day! 

7 hours ago, Doomdaddie-BURZUM said:

Heyho, I just wanted to ask if it is coop-friendly now? Last time we tested it was in '21.

Yep, the latest version should hopefully be free of any coop softlocks.

I suspect most of this will be out of my league, but I managed to beat map01 and really enjoyed it. The maps all look absolutely stunning!

Can't wait to path my way through more of these maps for some slick TAS runs. Anyway, enjoy a preview of my madness.

Monsters are only in the way of my "pathing."

I've got a playlist of my playthrough, and am just over halfway through the WAD now. Some are with saves, some are saveless, no mid-fight saves. Currently getting my arse handed to me on the corridor fight of map 10... Jesus Christ Benjo, who hurt you for you to come up with this map. 

For anyone who wants to take on this brilliant, but awful map:

Much cheese. I'm operating under faux 'pistol start' conditions here, but sure didn't appreciate those leaps of faith.

Abandon14x654.zip                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Benjo, did you honestly need to put those 8 Archviles there during the final fight? I must've been thrown off by them about 20 times...

That's all 17 maps done. No mid-fight saves this time at least!

Just had a quick runthrough of map 13 again on the new release, there's still 1 Cyber that won't teleport in for the final fight, he doesn't wake up for some reason. Dunno if it's just a GZDoom thing.

All of the other issues that I mentioned with the other maps from before seems to have been resolved though!

The thing I love about Doom is that there's something for every skill level, and something always out there for someone to achieve. Great stuff Benjo, been watching this one for a while.

20 hours ago, Flyxolydian said:

Just had a quick runthrough of map 13 again on the new release, there's still 1 Cyber that won't teleport in for the final fight, he doesn't wake up for some reason. Dunno if it's just a GZDoom thing.

All of the other issues that I mentioned with the other maps from before seems to have been resolved though!

Looks like it's not a GZDoom thing: there's one cyber in the closet that won't wake up because it's set to ambush. I can only assume that bemused did this intentionally as a reference to the Sunder MAP10 imps that couldn't be awakened, until someone found a way to awaken them. I doubt this guy will ever wake up though. ;(

10 hours ago, Benjogami said:

Looks like it's not a GZDoom thing: there's one cyber in the closet that won't wake up because it's set to ambush. I can only assume that bemused did this intentionally as a reference to the Sunder MAP10 imps that couldn't be awakened, until someone found a way to awaken them. I doubt this guy will ever wake up though. ;(

Ah right. In that case, I'll just ignore it when going for a UVMAX in about 10 years time.

A bit of subjective criticism but man what happened to the midi in map 09. Personally I think it used to be badass, now it feels impactless (to me).

Of course I'm influenced from having heard it on repeat for like 3+ hours while playing Solaris (Celestial Petrichor now I guess). Those high notes are a bit grating, don't know how I'd feel about listening to it dozens of times now but I didn't have a second thought in the previous version.

Regardless, if this fits the intended vision for that map better then I think that's cool. I guess I just grew a great fondness for that map as it was before, as it's one of my favorites in the set.

I am extremely sorry but I am noticing HOMs(missing textures) on linedefs on map05. This linedef is 36472 and adjacent ones. These linedefs have tag 3 given to them. This occurs when you clear out the upper cave areas and are given a chance to backtrack and revisit the place where first big fight occurs. Bemused lets you go back with the help of a switch nearby. Linedef in question is marked below(it is one next to T3).

bugreport.png

Edited by gudermannian function

I gotta admit that upon starting the video I was more concerned about your framerate than curious about the cheese! That said, it does seem quite significant, but since upon entering that teleporter you also skip ahead to the next area, is it possible to backtrack to that spot to kill the remaining monsters? Because if not then you'd kinda need to engage with that fight regardless. That said, that teleporter must be opening too early or something.

2 hours ago, taviow said:

I gotta admit that upon starting the video I was more concerned about your framerate than curious about the cheese! That said, it does seem quite significant, but since upon entering that teleporter you also skip ahead to the next area, is it possible to backtrack to that spot to kill the remaining monsters? Because if not then you'd kinda need to engage with that fight regardless. That said, that teleporter must be opening too early or something.

Yeah, you can backtrack to skipped area.

My laptop is 6 y/o. It can play Doom, but recording is off the limits.

Me and a couple friends played through half of the WAD in coop, I'll put it here in case the devs want to see some not-so-serious feedback:

Spoiler