Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mk7_Centipede

ion fury is out

I have played the demo levels. I would say if you liked Duke Nukem 3D, you will have a blast with it, at least I had a blast with it. Although I haven't played the full version, Civvie has and I tend to side with him more often than not on FPS games.

It's about time. I just played through the first couple levels and now I'm looking for the 9 secrets I missed. So far it's pretty fun.

Oh Christ bathing in hot butter is it amazing. Super optimized too, last I played it was when it was the preview campaign demo and was weary on how it would run. Can't wait for the console release! 

Saw the LGR video last night, looks like an absolute blast. Nice to see a new old school shooter, I'll definitely be getting it at some point.

This game is just blowing my mind left and right. Any fan of build engine games owes it to themselves to play this. Plus the secrets.. good lord the number of secrets. And the map design is out of this world! Also the MUSIC! I absolutely LOVE this game already!

I agree. The map design is unbelievable. I am kind of jealous TBH. Plenty of really hard secrets to find and I am pretty good at finding them.

Only thing missing is more weapons and some of the weapon sounds are a bit off. The pistol sounds weak and muffled.

Its really great! And as mentioned the Level Design is amazing. So many details. And great layouts

I started my level design days in Build. And what they did with it is pretty insane.

So far I don't like how you get so many of the weapons early, but I guess it's because it's the first episode and they want to introduce you to each weapon.

4 hours ago, Avoozl said:

So far I don't like how you get so many of the weapons early, but I guess it's because it's the first episode and they want to introduce you to each weapon.

Agreed.

There needed to be a couple more weapons and they needed to be spaced better. The alt-fires should have been upgrades too and should have been really hard to find. The pistol alt-fire is really powerful.

I dunno, I kinda felt the same way about getting them early at first but then I thought it just ended up being more fun more quickly. And the secondary fire, again I thought the same originally and ended up with the same feelings towards it as well. One thing that did *slightly* bother me was how overwhelming the maps could get from time to time. Not that I'm not used to backtracking cause I've played old school fps games since they were a new thing like lots of us here, but the size of the maps with the backtracking kinda got me lost. But again, not a big deal. It actually gave it some nostalgic charm thinking back to how I'd get lost for long periods of time in these games in the early days. This game does just feel like the natural evolution of the build engine games and I VERY much love that about it. Can't wait to get back to it tonight after work!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ion-fury-devs-show-signs-of-transphobia-among-other-issues.135368/

What a mega-oof. 

Seriously, I am deeply disappointed in everyone involved in this assbaggery (from the devs themselves to the mods of that Discord). 

What’s really saddening about this is that I know for sure that some of the Doom community’s finest talent went to work on this game, and I also know that the Doom community itself has some very prominent trans figures (and is supportive of the trans community itself). 

Goddammnit, I just started playing this game and I enjoyed the shit out of it. 

21 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ion-fury-devs-show-signs-of-transphobia-among-other-issues.135368/

What a mega-oof. 

Seriously, I am deeply disappointed in everyone involved in this assbaggery (from the devs themselves to the mods of that Discord). 

What’s really saddening about this is that I know for sure that some of the Doom community’s finest talent went to work on this game, and I also know that the Doom community itself has some very prominent trans figures (and is supportive of the trans community itself). 

Goddammnit, I just started playing this game and I enjoyed the shit out of it. 

Big oofin yikeserinos chief, I'm "deeply disappointed" in anyone that instantly sides with some outrage mob looking for things to be mad about over the devs of a great game.

BTW I dont believe anyone from the Doom community was involved in this, it was made by members of the Duke 3D community.

Discords tend to be garbage fires full of hot gamer takes. Keep in mind that the users and moderators on such a server don't represent the actual talent behind the game (those are the blue names in those screenshots).

Spoiler

From what I can tell through the screenshots... these are the opinions being thrown around:

Parents should not be part of the decision-making into whether their child is trans.

People getting doxxed by so-called "social justice warriors" is bad.

Outrage culture is very much a thing.

It's not exactly the most graceful conversation about these subjects. There are some dumb things said on that server, for sure, I don't condone it, but clearly the 3DR devs don't want deep social issues discussed in such an off-handed way either, as you can see one of the staff members intervene and break up the convo.

I think it's unlikely that Ion Fury's entire dev team holds these kinds of problematic opinions, so I would encourage people to play the game anyway and support the creators in spite of a few bad apples on a Discord server.

Ok, stupid shit ends up on Discord servers all the time, that much is true.

I can definitely understand that there are usually a few bad apples here and there and it’s usually resolved quickly (hell, I’ve even seen quite a few blowups in places like r/Doom). 

I’d normally be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but then I came across this:

(Spoiler warning: a twitter thread full of stupid shit an actual company account liked and posted)

Spoiler

Seriously, this makes the Cyberpunk 2077 twitter incident look quaint in comparison.

I mean, aren’t company accounts usually meant strictly for PR and marketing? Was it originally a personal account? I remember following Voidpoint back when the project was first announced, and I didn’t really see anything problematic at the time, nor did I see anything to indicate that their Twitter account started off as anything other than the official company account. 

Besides, this all just looks incredibly unprofessional no matter where one may stand. I get that social media accounts will occasionally flub something or make mistakes, but this was a goddamn pattern.

51 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

BTW I dont believe anyone from the Doom community was involved in this, it was made by members of the Duke 3D community.

Actually, there are quite a couple of big names that I can list off the top of my head from the Doom community who have worked on this:

Cage, an excellent artist who I know for sure is here in the community

HDoomguy (AKA Mike12); he also did a substantial amount of artwork for the game as well

42 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I think it's unlikely that Ion Fury's entire dev team holds these kinds of problematic opinions, so I would encourage people to play the game anyway and support the creators in spite of a few bad apples on a Discord server.

Yeah, you’re right on that front. I do know that not everyone on the dev team holds these kinds of problematic opinions, but when it comes to the internet where everything is hyperbole:

A few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch. 

I probably will keep playing it just because because I literally just started getting into it. 

Edited by Man of Doom

32 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

Cage, an excellent artist who I know for sure is here in the community

Cage is here. He made the third reply to this very thread you're posting in. Doesn't look like you're showing much legitimate care or concern for him or anyone else on the team when you come rushing to this thread tripping over your own feet just to post your "mega oof".

At the end of the day plenty of shitty people have made excellent works of art, doesnt mean im not going to buy them...

I just find it silly honestly, especially since most of those posters have even said they were looking forward to play it, why would you force yourself to not play it just because of some shitty discussions from 1 or 2 devs (And im sure a lot of games that they own have discords full of toxic discussions, thats social media for you)

Since making my above post I've been made aware that TerminX is doing the worst possible damage control on this whole issue on Voidpoint's official Twitter, so I'll say it here:

TerminX, just stop, dude. You're ruining your amazing game's reputation for everyone.

What worries me is that what if this affects the development of the console ports of ion fury or even wrath's development being void is making that too. If so then holy hell this is gonna be a big headache for everyone. 

9 hours ago, boris said:

Someone who doesn't sing from the treetops? Let's get the pitchforks!

For real, though, is he actually wrong with his assessment? Or did you just look at the score and come here right away to cry?

You don't get it, he's complaining that they delivered exactly what they had promised, which is a 90s shooter exactly like Duke 3D. I guess the game needed some lootboxes and 10 minute cinematics with "social commentary" to pander to his Mountain Dew-addled "game-journo" brain.

Edited by DooM_RO

I'm not saying anything about the trans issue but TerminX is right about these activist types trying to get people fired, especially from shitstain sites like Pedogaf and Resetera. They did it before with one of the Subnautica developers. It's like they police developers to see if they have the "right opinion" or not. They did it before and they're going to try again. The funny thing is that they are not even good people because they host a lot of super-creepy and hypocritical people. Here's just a taste, there is a lot more. 

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/22/16516592/neogaf-tyler-malka-evilore-allegations-shutdown

I really hope 3DRealms don't give in to these people and don't fire him. It's really creepy and reminds me of when nazis asked Tolkien if he was jewish or not before they could publish his novels in Germany and when communists ratted out people who had the "wrong opinion".

So what if he doesn't like trans people and SJWs? He is a free person and has every right to an opinion. It doesn't affect the quality of the game at all. I play WADs and games from people whose opinions I don't agree with, why can't you?

26 minutes ago, DoomedFox said:

What worries me is that what if this affects the development of the console ports of ion fury or even wrath's development being void is making that too. If so then holy hell this is gonna be a big headache for everyone. 

They aren't the same developer