Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
One Doomed Bunny

Half-Life styled map load?

Question

Greetings,

I am wondering if it is possible to have maps load just like in Half-Life, where you would get to a certain point it would say loading and load the next map and continue your journey from there.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Try this (ACS and MAPINFO):

hubs let you travel back and forth between levels in the same cluster without losing progress, if you don't want to reset maps like in hl, you might want to use that as well. Define a new cluster if you haven't already, and add the hub property to it (MAPINFO):

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Hub

5 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Try this (ACS and MAPINFO):

hubs let you travel back and forth between levels in the same cluster without losing progress, if you don't want to reset maps like in hl, you might want to use that as well. Define a new cluster if you haven't already, and add the hub property to it (MAPINFO):

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Hub

Thank you, excatly what I needed, I believe Strife used this approach as well?

A hub structure will allow the player to travel back and forth between 2 or more levels. If I remember correctly, Half-Life didn't actually allow free movement between levels. [At any rate, if you're looking for a basic tutorial to create levels in a hub, look here.]

Perhaps what you're looking for is a seamless transition from one level to the next. In other words, when you exit one level and enter the next you appear to have moved within the same area. There are a couple of ways in which this effect can be achieved. The simpler way is to have the exit area of the first map and the entrance area of the next map be identical. Then set up the exit linedef of the first map and the player start of the second map have the same relative coordinates when compared to the nearby walls, etc. When the player exits the first map, s/he will start the next map in (seemingly) the same spot from which s/he exited. [There are some limitations to this method, but you can experiment with map geometry to overcome these.]

The second method is more complex, and involves scripting that remembers the exact coordinates where you exit one map, and places you in the exact same coordinates in the other map. What remains is to duplicate the geometry of the first map's exit area to that of the second map's entrance area.