Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

Maps where UV was just too much to handle?

I myself am an HMP/HNTP player, but I know that most people here play on UV. However I'm sure we've all had those maps where UV's difficulty just got too much, and we had to bump down a difficulty level or two.

So what were those maps for you?

ESP MAP01: Degrassi, if only because I haven't yet the wits and endurance for something that technical and demanding. The start-when-you-shoot ambush opening sets the tone appropriately: masochists only, or perish. All props to TimeOfDeath for making a very fun and distinct nightmare map, that said. I'll return to this later once I've honed my slaughter chops.

I mostly play UV, but certain WADs (your average Sunlust or Deus Vult or whatever) have strong HMP/HNTR options for the less skilled among us, so I use those when I want to enjoy my first runs.

The original Deus Vult and Dimensions. Ugh, Dimensions had the most brutal part unaltered on lower settings anyway, lol. Or not changed enough to tell the difference.

Deus Vult... suffice to say the hell section was a demonstration of sheer brutality. It was ruthless even on HMP.

Wads where UV was too much for me:

- Scythe 2 (map 23 onwards I played at HMP)

- Ancient Aliens (I played at HMP)

- Valiant (When I played it back in 2016, I was much less skilled player and played it in HNTR. But I think I can handle it in UV now)

- Sunder (I tried it back in 2016-ish but didn't play past map2 because of difficulty. Sadly it doesn't have difficulty settings implemented)

- Sunlust (I didn't play it yet but when I will do so, I will probably choose HMP or HNTR)

After breezing through the IWADs on UV, thought about doing the same thing with Hell Revealed. Cleared the first 15 levels and MAP31 without dying, proceeded to never get out of the first room on MAP32, after 100+ attempts. After that, I started playing everything on HNTR :)

doom2 map06 lol

I get punched to death by that revenant and throw in the towel. But I've been playing Doom 2 more lately and I plan to slog through pistol-start UV eventually.

edit: ok I finally went and beat map06 UV pistol start. Took me about 10 tries. And yes, I died multiple times to that damn revenant.

Edited by DuckReconMajor

I've played both Valiant and AA in UV, which was handable, but I think I would have enjoyed more if I played them in HMP.

Unless it's specified in the text file, or people gave me recommendations, I'd go UV because I'm usually fine with it. If not then all cool on choosing a lower skill, I seek a good time. 

Quantum Strike UV by Spectre01 probed to be more than I could psychologically bare at that time. HNTR was far from a breeze, yet the right choice. I blame my impatience there, as usual. Also went HMP on the final map in Plutonium Winds after numerous UV attempts on trying to progress further than the wave of revs/viles and chaingunners all in the vast open, but always saw me dead whatever I did. Think I also picked HMP for a few maps in DyingCamel's Demons 1.

HMP is the direct ticket for anything by Ribbiks solo or duo that has skills implemented, those so far being Stardate 20x6 and Sunlust. I am pretty sure I can handle them on UV nowadays, but only did a few demos for the second. Italo Doom is one out of my skill/tolerance despite being nothing too serious. 

SF2011 was a take it or leave it for the most part. Map 02 thankfully had noteworthy differences between skills. Some others didn't, which really sucked (e.g. okuplok's map, ffs). The wad included a mod to basically turn you into a god and while I never play with mods, it kinda helped. I just don't skip maps, even when it's wiser. 

Pretty much any map on Sigil or Plutonia on UV is motherfu-[REDACTED]. Thy Flesh Consumed isn't too bad, you just have to get through the first 3 maps.

All of them LOL!!! I’m absolutely terrible at UV and I have tried a ton of times. 

I just don’t have the knack for it. Much respect to the folks that can do it.