Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Destroyer - 4.7m4d

Any Software/Programs which anyone can recommend that can play MIDI files

I like Doom. I also like the music(or midi) that is played in the background that enhances your doom experience. Here is a simple request , can anyone recommend a good MIDI playing software that can house playlists and support soundfont usage? I am also hoping that it has a tempo altering option and keyoff set option along with a mixer. 

Thanks in advance!

WinAmp with ChipAmp plugin is what I use. Not sure about other media players, but the ChipAmp plugin is fine, because it also plays all kinds of other formats like .spc, .s3m, .vgz, and also shit like .brstm... So yeah, works fine.

foobar200 with the foo_midi component works well, along with many other components for various mod/chiptune platforms. For a more pure experience, the VanBasco Karaoke Player's super optimized, has good playlist support, and works very well with all the MIDI formats I've tested.

You can also give Anvil Studio a try, which you can write music with if you have the proper equipment for it. It's free, but additional accessories cost money.

I have been using AIMP, which plays all the music formats with no plugins required.  For midi, I recommend that you also visit this thread:

OpenMPT is a tracker intended more for module files, though.  I would not recommend it for MIDI due to the MIDI format not being compatible with the tracker format--you'd run into a lot of limitations, and MIDI files, unlike modules, are not pattern-based at all.

I use foobar2000 with foo_MIDI.

I've also used XMPlay with its BASSMIDI plugin in the past it was okay too, able to directly open wad files to play the music lumps in it. But nowadays I use SLADE 3 for that, heh.

Hey guys, so I have tried a lot of these programs and found VanBasco Karaoke Player to be really good. It can house playlists, has a simple straightforward design so its easier to navigate within the options, has a tempo and key offset and has a mixer. WinAmp also does the job fairly well .

But none of these... well, has BASSMIDI support I can say for short.  Basically it doesn't have fluidsynth or soundfont support. Any suggestions?

foo_midi directly supports BASSMIDI. If you'd rather use a soundfont universally, then use CoolSoft Virtual MIDI Synth to set that up and then configure vanBasco/WinAmp to use the CoolSoft output. Worst case, download LoopMIDI, follow the developer instructions, and fiddle with the new MIDI-out until you get proper playback in your app of choice.

23 minutes ago, Ahmed said:

But none of these... well, has BASSMIDI support I can say for short.

foobar2000 and XMPlay have.

In fact BASSMIDI started as an XMPlay plugin IIRC, since it's the same developer.