• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheDoomDude

Favorite Doom Boss

Favorite Doom Boss and why?  

64 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Note: I will be closing the poll at the end of the month. Also feel free to let me know if I missed any.

• The Baron Brothers (Doom 1993)
    • Cyberdemon (Doom 1993)
    • Spiderdemon (Doom 1993)
    • Icon of Sin (Doom ll)
    • 20 Chain-gunners paired with Arch Viles (Final Doom)
    • Mother Demon (Doom 64)
    • Vagary (Doom 3)
    • Guardian of Hell (Doom 3)
    • Sabaoth (Doom 3)
    • Cyberdemon (Doom 3)
    • Helltime Hunter (Doom 3)
    • Berserk Hunter (Doom 3)
    • Invulnerability Hunter (Doom 3)
    • Maledict (Doom 3)
    • Cyberdemon (Doom 2016)
    • Hell Guards (Doom 2016)
    • Spider Mastermind (Doom 2016)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/31/19 at 05:00 PM

Whats your favorite Boss Battle. Mind would have to be the Hell Guards from Doom 2016 just due to how much they keep me on my toes and due to them being able to attack from two different angles.

The original Cyberdemon is just too classic a battle. I do really love the Hell Guards from 2016, though.

Worst: Vagary, mostly cause I have arachnophobia.

I had to go with the Guardian from Doom 3. I thought it had the most interesting design of any boss battle throughout the franchise. This blind, lumbering beast that uses it's little seekers (which are nothing more than creepy, flying spotlights) to find it's prey. Part of you wants to avoid getting caught in the light so as not to be targeted by the huge beast - and yet, you have to kill the seekers to actually make the Guardian vulnerable to attack. Not necessarily the most entertaining boss fight in any Doom game, but I always found the design of it to be quite unique and memorable.

Runner ups would have to be...

• DOOM(2016) Cyberdemon, for the sheer WTF moment I had when I thought I'd finished him off, just to see a massive bolt of Hell energy rip into his corpse, resurrect him, and get pulled straight back into a Hell for a second round.
  • Sabaoth from Doom 3, mostly because it's the twisted, Hellish mutation of your most trusted ally throughout the campaign to that point, which was kind of sad and horrifying from a thematic POV. And I just love the way he says "Welcome to the mess hall!" when you first see him... hehe 

The original Cyberdemon battle from E2M8 was certainly a defining moment when I first played it, but, given the sheer amount of Cyberdemon corpses I've left in my wake over the past 20 years, I just can't feel the same way about it anymore.

Also, I'm not sure if it's worth adding to the poll, but the double Hellknight / HK introduction battle in Doom 3 (at the end of Delta 4, right before going into Hell), really felt like a boss battle to me (or at least, mini-boss status on par with the Baron Brothers in E1M8).   

46 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Also, I'm not sure if it's worth adding to the poll, but the double Hellknight / HK introduction battle in Doom 3 (at the end of Delta 4, right before going into Hell), really felt like a boss battle to me (or at least, mini-boss status on par with the Baron Brothers in E1M8).   

I mostly went off of the Doom wiki to find out what counted as a boss for the Doom games I havn't played yet (This includes Doom 3), and they were not listed as one. Sorry I left them out, but to be a little fair two hell knights seem pretty tame compared to two barons.

Hell Knights are essentially the Barons of Doom 3 -- there's only the one type, and he's a big, beefy bastard who hits hard (especially on the higher difficulties). I think it's worth including just because their introduction in Doom 3 is, in essence, meant to mirror the E1M8 fight. Moreover, you're jammed into a small room (easily 1/2 the size of the Baron brothers room), and both the Hell Knights have 1400 HP (despite only having 900 for the rest of the game), which in and of itself kinda makes it a mini-boss fight. In a first playthrough, I'd argue that the Doom 3 HK intro battle is far more intense than the Baron brothers battle :D

3 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Hell Knights are essentially the Barons of Doom 3

Doom 3 must have been a warm up for Doomguy if the Hellknights were as bad as Barons. Very interesting though, I did not know this. Thanks for the information.

54a.gif

33 minutes ago, TheDoomDude said:

Doom 3 must have been a warm up for Doomguy if the Hellknights were as bad as Barons.

It was back when Doomguy had some lower-back troubles, and couldn't move very quick. And the UAC still didn't have a tight grip on their financial situation, and was having trouble paying their lighting bill. It was a rough time to be combating the forces of Hell. But a space marine has gotta do what a space marine has gotta do, ya know.

wait, the baron, the cyberdemon, the spider mastermind from the original doom are bosses?

damn, enough bfg 9000 for today

Mother Demon, a pretty damn deadly boss with neat sound effects.

The boss of Final Doom is an IoS in both cases right? Archie with chain gunners is standard cannon fodder in Final Doom..

Anyway, Icon of Sin because it actually requires effort to beat unlike every other “boss” in classic Doom. These days I just see them all as standard enemies!

I voted Cyberdemon from Doom 4 for the spectacle and cool factor, although Hell Guards is a more challenging and interesting encounter.

I voted 20 Chain-gunners paired with Arch Viles. Easily the hardest boss (impossible to kill).

Mine would definitely be the Mother Demon. 

Just an overall badass boss, and a great inclusion to the Doom roster.

Even though she becomes kind of a joke with the fully upgraded Unmaker.

Though in my opinion, she is the most difficult Classic Doom boss if you don't use the fully upgraded Unmaker on her.

Voted for the IoS. Though it's technically just a wall with a monster spawner, I remember the first time I say it and I was like "HOLY SHIT". Then I realized it was a wall and the magic was gone but it was there for the first few minutes. Additionally, I think a lot of cool things can be done with it in PWADs so I voted for it since the method of defeating it can vary based on map set.

I went for the joke option in the poll [20 Chain-gunners paired with Arch Viles (Final Doom)], but I leave my vote for "Spiderdemon (Doom 1993)" here.

I voted the 1993 Cyberdemon. He's still a badass so yeah...

As for those bosses in Doom 3, I have a hard time remembering them. Only the Vagary seems to spark memories with those damned spike balls it throws at you.

I also liked those Hell Guards from Doom 2016. Hmmm, maybe I should go back in there and finish the game.

I would also include:

- Mancubi\Arachnotrons from Dead Simple (Doom 2)
- Arch-Viles from Hunted (Plutonia)

- Kronos (Doom RPG)

- The Pinkynator (Doom RPG 2)

- VIOS (Doom RPG 2)

8 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

Archangelus from Eviternity.

If only this was an option.

12 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

where can I find those 20 Chaingunners paired with Arch Viles??

Three levels, Onslaught, The Twilight and Anti-Christ

The Cyberdemon in Tower of Babel. It actually made me quit the game and cry when I was 5 or 6. That bloodcurdling howl man. 2spooky4lilme.

22 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

I can't vote... i love them all

Btw, where can I find those 20 Chaingunners paired with Arch Viles??

Now I want to see Chaingunners riding Arch-Viles....

I love the atmosphere in the battle against Maledict, but there's nothing like the first battle against the Cyberdemon

Edited by Martin-CAI

Cyberdemon from the 90s.  Another reason how I REALLY got into this game.  Fighting him for the first time in E2M8 was so one of the best moments of my life.   Hes very tall when you fight him and shoots rockets.

From the original doom instruction manuals: "A missile-launching skyscraper with goat legs. 'Nuff said"

Nuff said.

Edited by vanilla_d00m