Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J9_2R

.mus to .mid?

Let me start off by apologizing for possibly posting this in the wrong spot, but I wasn't entirely sure which forum section it is supposed to go into. ANYWAYS...

So I've been actually stockpiling a BUNCH of old DOOM WADs, most of them happen to sadly use the .mus format still for the music. I noticed there are a few programs which convert .mus to .mid, but sadly, all of these were ONLY made to work on DOS, and frankly, I don't feel like going the extra mile just to set up a DOSbox just to convert these files. So, more or less, I just want to know, is there a way to convert .mus to .mid on a Windows 10 computer? Or is it like... "Sorry dude, you're screwed" sort of situation? I know there is a WAD editor tool (of which I have), but that doesn't seem to have a .mus to .mid converter built into it, so I'm kind of just unsure as to what I should do, or if the only option is to go through a really obnoxious process of setting up a DOS emulator just to get these files to the proper format.

OBVIOUSLY I know they are some kind of modified .mid format, and I'm guessing you can't just rename .mus to .mid and them work as hoped for, so any suggestions are appreciated, especially ones that direct me to a converter that I can actually use, cause despite Windows 10 having that "compatibility" thing, it doesn't actually seem to work with literally anything out there, aside from a few XP and Vista programs. 

Why does it matter that you need to convert mus to mid? What are you planning on doing with the .mid once they are converted?

1 minute ago, Danfun64 said:

Why does it matter that you need to convert mus to mid? What are you planning on doing with the .mid once they are converted?

Because that way I can hear these songs in different styles and sounds. What are you implying that I would do with them if I converted them to midi?

I just want them as midi so I can hear them sound differently than what they currently sound like. Like sure, I can listen to them right now, but I want to know what would they sound like if played through Piconica or something. 

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

In SLADE3, you can right click any mus and convert to mid. Hope this helps!

Oh really? Well dang, I didn't know that. I thought it only allowed the export of .mus

Much appreciated DoomKid

1 hour ago, J9_2R said:
What are you implying that I would do with them if I converted them to midi?

I thought you were going to take the converted midis and use them in a pwad instead of just copying and pasting the mus files

There's also a Midi2mus and Mus2midi converter but it's old as fuck and you'd probably have to use DosBox to get it to work.

If I recall, Wintex had it built in, but its been ages since I'v messed with that stuff.

FYI, I still have the source code, donated by Joakim Erdfelt who wrote MUS2MIDI back in 1994 if anyone's interested. I've been digging around in old code of late...

Possibly, for vanilla based editing, I would hold on to it, or at least let it sit on a git.

Although its source is likely in editors that support the conversions. ~ Slade, Xwe, Wintex, ect.. 

If Any of them are open source, which I'm not sure.

SLADE incorporates both Ben Ryves' MUS2MIDI and the converters Randi wrote for ZDoom. The MUS2MIDI code was taken from Chocolate Doom since, IIRC, @fraggle fixed some bug in it at some point. I think it uses the Choco code for mus files and the ZDoom code for hmi and xmi files; but perhaps it uses the ZDoom code for everything. No real noticeable difference in output in any case.

I'd be interested in seeing Joakim Erdfelt's take on it, though I probably have no use for it. There's also Sébastien Bacquet's QMUS2MID which, I believe, is integrated in PrBoom+.

Oh yeah, and while SLADE is what I'd recommend nowadays to convert MUS files without having to use DOSBox to run old command-line utilities, it's also possible to use (G)ZDoom!