Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aSeriesOfNumbers

My first ever Doom MegaWad project and Ideas.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The story will be that Doomguy has discovered the ruins of a huge Satanic Chapel on his way back home after the events of Doom 2. Once he enters the church, it will lead into sacrificial catacombs, damp dungeons, and then some. Including more demons that were summoned from an "unknown" origin that was secretly trying to create another Hell invasion after the previous one in Doom 2. He must find and stop whoever's doing it.

I plan on calling this MegaWad, "The Forgotten Prophecy". There are other names I'm thinking of as well.

 

I also plan on including a lot of Doom 64 inspired aesthetics, as I think they suit my envisionment's quite well.

 

I will start this project once I buy a new PC, most likely at the end of the year.

I will also have college this spring, so no promises as to when I will release any updates or release dates.

Edited by aSeriesOfNumbers

Share this post


Link to post

The first question is: Are you trying to recruit people to make maps for this megawad or is this just an announcement of an interesting idea that you had?

 

If it's the latter, then thank you, your idea sounds interesting. We'll look forward to further updates on it as you get further along with the development.

 

If it's the former, then there are a few things that you should clarify that may help generate interest (in no particular order):

  • What is your target port (vanilla, limit-removing, Boom, UDMF, etc.)?
  • Were you planning on having custom resources (monsters, textures, weapons)? If so, you may want to examples of the custom monsters and, possibly, any custom weapons.
  • How many maps were you planning for (30 + 2 secret maps, 15 maps, 20 maps, etc.)?
  • Do you have screenshots of any work you've already done for the project so people can see an example of what you're envisioning?
  • It looks like you're targeting Doom 2, so were you planning on breaking down the progression in the standard way (Maps 1-6, 7-11, 12-20, and 21-30) or in some other way.
  • Do you have a target date for this to be completed?

Share this post


Link to post

The story is only one of the several parts of a big project like a megawad. If you want some feedback you can provide screenshots, or write down your new ideas (but usually screenshots are the best way to show us your work).

 

And of course be sure to have everything planned from the beginning (you don't want to find yourself in a situation where you have a good idea only to find that the 10 maps that you have already made are in the wrong format, or where you run out of ideas after 15 maps)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 11:59 AM, Pegleg said:

The first question is: Are you trying to recruit people to make maps for this megawad or is this just an announcement of an interesting idea that you had?

 

If it's the latter, then thank you, your idea sounds interesting. We'll look forward to further updates on it as you get further along with the development.

 

If it's the former, then there are a few things that you should clarify that may help generate interest (in no particular order):

  • What is your target port (vanilla, limit-removing, Boom, UDMF, etc.)?
  • Were you planning on having custom resources (monsters, textures, weapons)? If so, you may want to examples of the custom monsters and, possibly, any custom weapons.
  • How many maps were you planning for (30 + 2 secret maps, 15 maps, 20 maps, etc.)?
  • Do you have screenshots of any work you've already done for the project so people can see an example of what you're envisioning?
  • It looks like you're targeting Doom 2, so were you planning on breaking down the progression in the standard way (Maps 1-6, 7-11, 12-20, and 21-30) or in some other way.
  • Do you have a target date for this to be completed?

I'll begin the project once I acquire a new PC. Should be at the end of the year. It all depends on my budget.

 

For my first ever attempt at a MegaWad, I plan on using base Doom 2 assets. Though that may change as time goes on.

 

For now, I'd like to stick to 10 maps, maybe with a couple secret levels. But like I said before, that may change. They will all most likely continue in

the same vane as a Doom 1 episode.

 

My target port will most definitely be Gzdoom. I'm the most familiar with it.

 

I can't really say what the target date will be. As I said, it will depend on when I get a new Build.

Also I will be starting college in spring.

Edited by aSeriesOfNumbers

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 4:06 PM, Simomarchi said:

The story is only one of the several parts of a big project like a megawad. If you want some feedback you can provide screenshots, or write down your new ideas (but usually screenshots are the best way to show us your work).

 

And of course be sure to have everything planned from the beginning (you don't want to find yourself in a situation where you have a good idea only to find that the 10 maps that you have already made are in the wrong format, or where you run out of ideas after 15 maps)

This forum was mainly created to share my envisionment. But I will of course share my work once I get my hands on a new PC as I stated in my previous reply.

Edited by aSeriesOfNumbers

Share this post


Link to post

I thought you were talking about a project that you had already started, with at least a map or something. Sorry for my previous answer

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/21/2019 at 3:58 PM, aSeriesOfNumbers said:

For now, I'd like to stick to 10 maps, maybe with a couple secret levels. But like I said before, that may change. They will all most likely continue in

the same vane as a Doom 1 episode.

I don't think you can have a megawad with only 10 levels.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sir Hattington said:

I don't think you can have a megawad with only 10 levels.

By that I mean I'm writing down and focusing on the concepts for the first 10 maps and a couple secret levels for now.

I will have 30 in total. Each 10 maps will have their own theme.

Sorry if I mistook you.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, aSeriesOfNumbers said:

By that I mean I'm writing down and focusing on the concepts for the first 10 maps and a couple secret levels for now.

I will have 30 in total. Each 10 maps will have their own theme.

Sorry if I mistook you.

Oh, that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×