Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
([zen3001])

Wolfenstein Young Blood

If you don't know allready. a two player coop wolfenstein game has been released recently and has overall mixed reviews on steam. Wondering what you guys think.

Horrible/Cringey writing and dialogue of New Colossus mixed with the boring bullet sponge gunplay of borderlands, hard pass.

Posted (edited)

I wonder what went through the writersț heads when they wrote the twins. They are just super nasty in a not-cool-at-all way. All I can think about is what bad parents BJ and Anya are, like they never set any boundries at all. I really hope they die at the beginning of the next game.

Here's what OpenCritic says..

OpenCritic Rating: Fair

Top Critic Average: 66

Critics Recommend: 35%

The sisters remind me of my own little sister's opinion of " cool " and I can't stand them.

29 minutes ago, Count651 said:

The sisters remind me of my own little sister's opinion of " cool " and I can't stand them.

I watched some of the cutscenes, and holy hell are they ever obnoxious. 

Considering I'm a guy who enjoyed The New Colossus more than The New Order, I'll probably also enjoy Youngblood. Probably wait for it to go on sale though.

Mmm, I dunno. The New Collossus was a lot stronger narrative and game than Youngblood. I was pretty curious to see what they did with this premise. But unfortunately they didn't really do much with either game play or story.

The story doesn't really get time to breathe, and since you're playing with someone else you are usually distracted from the story and at least I were more interested in just getting further in the game than listen to someone speak, or read something etc. 

Then the game play gets a bit of the same issues. There's not much in terms of slower missions that we've come to expect of Wolfenstein ever since RTCW. Even though they still have takedowns and commanders etc in the game. There's really no areas where you actively infiltrate anything where you care for a second if you would trip the alarm. The cooperative aspect is bunched in with a semi rpg game with a semi open world where the cooperative functions are quite shallow. (mostly that you need to be two to open a door or throw a switch etc).

Hence I said, it's fine. A servicable game for a few hours with a friend. But there's not much lasting impression from it. 

I was watching my son play and surprisingly this game seems much better than the last entry. Sure the story and characters are whatever, although I don't mind teens acting like teens, honestly they kinda remind me of how my son and I would play Atlas & Peabody from Portal 2. TNC had far too many cringy cutscenes and very little gameplay. This entry benefits from Arkane Studios involvement, which means more player agency and less linear paths. The upgrades seemed pretty cool and allow you to focus on the style you want (you can melee through most of the enemies if you want). So far we haven't seen any reason to use MTX unless you are the type of player who doesn't really play a game, more of the type that feels compelled to rush through a game.

The two things this game really needed was a pause option (where it shows an icon over the player that is AFK) and of course split-screen. I've read they may have added pause by now. Perhaps this game should have been sold as the DLC for TNC.

They recently released a patch attempting to fix the bullet spunges, but it didn't work that well for me. The biggest problem I'mm having with the game right now is that I only get into the game with people that aren't even playing. When I do get into a game where someone is actually doing something it can end up being tons of fun for a while. They still missed the problem with bulletspunges, they game forces you to hit the weak points of enemies but if you don't do that some of em take no damage at all, the weak points should only serve to make it faster to kill them they shouldn't be the only way to do it.

Videogames are filled with obnoxious character anyways so I don't see much of a problem with this one

Tbh I've never even finished the New Order, but I got a key for this one for free with my new GPU, so I might still try it out at some point to check out if raytracing works as well in this game as it does in Control. Although looking at what people think, I have a feeling I won't it finish it either.