Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

doom mapper inspiration never being anything to do with real life

how come the planet is on fire and nearing war on like every frontier you could think of and every time a doom level comes out it is called like Nukage Waystation

Come off it, yakfak! MAP09: Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats may be cutting edge nomenclature, but all that Nukage has to go somewhere, right?

Oh, the humanity!

47 minutes ago, yakfak said:

how come the planet is on fire and nearing war on like every frontier you could think of and every time a doom level comes out it is called like Nukage Waystation

Vaguely serious answer: because the UAC has always been a dystopian figure, and the fact that their bases are all flooded with deadly toxic waste is just another symbol of that.

Have you played Lilium, by any chance?

I mean... real life is generally either super boring, super depressing, or super scary (unless you're one of those "well-adjusted people" things I hear about from time to time, I guess.) While I do enjoy plenty of games that are about/depict very real things (hello, standard go-to real world simulator exemplar example Papers, Please) I generally boot Doom up to get away from that nonsense and pretend I actualy have a noticable, positive impact on a world gone to Hell.

9 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Have you played Lilium, by any chance?

*contradicts everything just said and downloads/plays in a heartbeat*

Man, nothing like a spot of Russian bleakness to brighten the night. :3

10 hours ago, Scorpinax said:

Gotta start giving doom maps randomly generated titles

Oblige does this for you, too.

I ran this name generator and, while the list it generated didn't terribly impress me, one of the 10 randomly generated names that came up was "Place."

@yakfak Is that a realistic enough map name for you?

6 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

I ran this name generator and, while the list it generated didn't terribly impress me, one of the 10 randomly generated names that came up was "Place."

@yakfak Is that a realistic enough map name for you?

wellll it's a bit non-committal o:)

Serious answer: I guess it's because it's following the trend originally used by id in Doom 1 and Doom 2?

Although it's way less common these days. Map names are getting super abstract. Just look at something like Eviternity's map list.

I blame Sandy Petersen's influence in Doom II, he named all of the maps because Romero and McGee didn't care enough. When people could make their own maps they followed the trend to choose a name that barely has anything to do (if anything) with the map. 

Why is a sewer map named Underhalls?  What are underhalls? underground hallways and rooms? It doesn't seem to be completely underground.

When you talk about the planet being on fire, do you mean in Doom or in real life?

I think a Doom mod based on the growing economic disparity we see in America is what this world needs. Doomguy is gonna rip and tear our socioeconomic worries a new one!!!!

edit: since most people are interpreting this as being about map titles specifically, I’ll echo Bauul, most titles seem to be abstract these days, but that’s a good thing. I missed the word “called” in the op and strangely that (arguably) changed the entire meaning of the post, I thought it was like “why the fuck is Doomguy running around generic tech bases while we have serious shit going down”, lol

On 8/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, Hartwolf said:

Man, nothing like a spot of Russian bleakness to brighten the night. :3

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, BLEAKNESS KILL YOU!!!!!!